• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Assassin's Creed 2 PC

Price isn't the problem for me per se although $50 would sit better with me than $60.

Only the DRM is the problem. The second that's gone, I'll buy it.

same. If you don't mind me asking how is the drm treating you? any disconnects or problems with it?
 
Assassin's Creed 2 has been hacked into but the DRM has not been cracked - it's holding firm.

Some of you guys don't appear to have understood, either, that this game has already been released in Europe, in Asia, and in Australia. The people who are playing right now are legitimate users. North America release is Tuesday of course.

Also, the game has been put up on Steam for pre-load, and is rising in the sales charts, which is obviously going to make Ubisoft happy.
 
The DRM have not been giving me any problems whatsoever. I have not been disconnected even once.
 
Aren't the pirated versions cutting out after the first mission and what not? Some don't have working save games or something.

However, I think the latest AC2 patch making it so that you can resume exactly where you left off after a d/c implies that saved games must be saved locally - so it's probably easier to crack now.

Ah well... I'm very close to pulling the trigger on Steam. BFBC2's server downtime is making me idle on the AC2 page :(.

EDIT: Here's a link with Ubi claiming that the cracked versions are basically incomplete http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ubisoft-drm-internet-assassin-s-creed,9805.html
Now I'm confused as to what's actually going on.
 
Last edited:
that is the same article from 2 days ago that Ubisoft is responding to, so according to Ubisoft it still haven't been cracked fully which is what we're talking about here I believe.

Sorry. Since they just posted in this forum's news section around 4pm EST I thought it was newer information.
 
Price isn't the problem for me per se although $50 would sit better with me than $60.

Only the DRM is the problem. The second that's gone, I'll buy it.

Same here. Price isn't an issue, DRM is.
 
GameSpot's PC review gives the game very high marks...really sounds amazing...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/assassinscreed2/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1

I know the game itself is excellent. I thought the first was excellent despite some of the repetition and this seems to be better in just about ever regard so I'm sure it'll be a favorite of mine when I finally can play it without it being handicapped and crippled needlessly with this hideous DRM.

Believe me, were it not for this Draconian and insane DRM I'd have had kept my preorder locked down and never given it a second thought.

Frequently broken copy protection scheme requires constant Internet access

Gamespot, like any every other outlet, rightly makes mention of this.
 
Last edited:
I know the game itself is excellent. I thought the first was excellent despite some of the repetition and this seems to be better in just about ever regard so I'm sure it'll be a favorite of mine when I finally can play it without it being handicapped and crippled needlessly with this hideous DRM.

Believe me, were it not for this Draconian and insane DRM I'd have had kept my preorder locked down and never given it a second thought.

Gamespot, like any every other outlet, rightly makes mention of this.

I have an always-on connection so while it is annoying I can live with that...for me price is a bigger deal then the DRM...$60 is a bit much for a PC game...I'm hoping the price drops soon...

the DRM is why reviewers have lowered their overall scores but based on the gameplay alone the game is a 10/10
 
for me price is a bigger deal then the DRM...$60 is a bit much for a PC game...I'm hoping the price drops soon

the DRM is why reviewers have lowered their overall scores but based on the gameplay alone the game is a 10/10

For me the DRM is a far worse, much bigger deal than the price of the game and I have no doubt I'd be seeing no less than 9's across the boards by and large were that DRM not in place.

I think the markdowns for the DRM are actually being generous.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035433290&postcount=313

Case in point.

I've heard a theory that suggested the extra $10 on the price of the game was to actually subsidize this DRM (the servers and so forth). I have no idea if it's true but it wouldn't halfway surprise me if it were.
 
Will be buying. The DRM doesn't concern me as I three personal Internet connections, cable modem, phone and broadband cell for my tablet. Kind of silly arguing about needing an Internet connection when I have at least two or three around me practically everywhere I go anyway.
 
Will be buying. The DRM doesn't concern me as I three personal Internet connections, cable modem, phone and broadband cell for my tablet. Kind of silly arguing about needing an Internet connection when I have at least two or three around me practically everywhere I go anyway.

You could have 10 connections and it still dont matter if they cant fix their busted connection and all the problems they are having keeping people connected.

There are a couple threads running around here about it.
 
Will be buying. The DRM doesn't concern me as I three personal Internet connections, cable modem, phone and broadband cell for my tablet. Kind of silly arguing about needing an Internet connection when I have at least two or three around me practically everywhere I go anyway.

I respect your decision to buy it

but the Ubi servers are being DDoS'd
 
I bought it this morning, played all day. The DRM sucks but I loved the first one and have been intending on making a day one purchase for this one. The DRM seems to kill performance, I'm hoping they fix that, otherwise I haven't had a problem with it though. Game is alot of fun, better animations than the first one, more violent...

As much as I'd love to not buy and show UBISOFT I don't agree with their DRM, I wanted to play it and have waited too long to enjoy it.
 
The DRM seems to kill performance, I'm hoping they fix that, otherwise I haven't had a problem with it though

how does it kill performance?...you mean you're getting in-game frame rate issues?...do you have to lower video settings?
 
You could have 10 connections and it still dont matter if they cant fix their busted connection and all the problems they are having keeping people connected.

There are a couple threads running around here about it.

Like how the DRM got cracked in 24 hours but really didn't and how the game is great and is getting 1s. Whatever. I don't expect anyone to be honest and this game. Hell I'll buy a GOOD PC game and not even play it just to support the developer.

Which if more people did instead of bitching and complaining and stealing there would be NO DRM in games.
 
how does it kill performance?...you mean you're getting in-game frame rate issues?...do you have to lower video settings?

It seems there are slowdowns, people on the ubi forums were complaining about it too. I think it's autosaving to the cloud alot and probably checking files to make sure it's legit. People went to 800x600 and saw the same exact performance at 1680x1050. I'm getting good performance most the time, but there are time where it seems to slow or lag a bit, maybe chug is the right word.... I'm playing 1680x1050, 4xAA, everything else on highest. When testing with vsync on I was at 60FPS most the time, dips into the 40s though. Without vsync I'm not sure, I didnt run Fraps again with it off...
 
Like how the DRM got cracked in 24 hours but really didn't and how the game is great and is getting 1s. Whatever. I don't expect anyone to be honest and this game. Hell I'll buy a GOOD PC game and not even play it just to support the developer.

Which if more people did instead of bitching and complaining and stealing there would be NO DRM in games.

stop and think for a moment

what can you do with console games that you can't with PC games these days?

RESELL THEM

they'd still implement DRM to keep the secondhand market from stealing firsthand sales
 
Like how the DRM got cracked in 24 hours but really didn't and how the game is great and is getting 1s. Whatever. I don't expect anyone to be honest and this game. Hell I'll buy a GOOD PC game and not even play it just to support the developer.

Which if more people did instead of bitching and complaining and stealing there would be NO DRM in games.

You are just the sheeple that these producers want. Congratulations on being taken advantage of AND sticking up for the people doing it.

Also no i didnt mean the thread talking about it being cracked i meant the couple threads talking about how a lot of people cant play at all because of the server problems. But hey assume what i mean and jump on your high horse instead of actually reading my post. :rolleyes:
 
the DRM has been beaten into the ground already...let the people that want to play the game decide for themselves...don't force your opinion on other people
 
im interested in whether or not they eliminated the repetitive nature of the game. I liked the concept of the original but the repetition was retarded
 
So I broke down and bought it (got it for 30, so oh well). So far it has been worth it, it's not as repetitive as the first one but it's still there. I did get stopped earlier when my connection went down for about 15 minutes, talk about a buzz kill. It was lame as hell.
 
So I broke down and bought it (got it for 30, so oh well). So far it has been worth it, it's not as repetitive as the first one but it's still there. I did get stopped earlier when my connection went down for about 15 minutes, talk about a buzz kill. It was lame as hell.

So what do you do if you're playing an MMO and your connection goes down? How is that not a buzz kill? Your internet connection went down for 15 minutes?

What if you're watching a U-tube video, and your connection goes down, or if you're surfing the net, or if you need to check on an e-mail that somebody has just sent you, or if you're downloading a patch for a game, or if you've just bought a game at Steam and want to play it, or if you're on Live and are playing a competitive match against another person and suddenly you get booted from the game because your internet connection craps out for 15 minutes at a time - how are those things all not 'buzz kills'?

It sounds to me like you need to get a better internet service provider.

But here's what I don't understand at all: if you already knew that your internet connection was so god awful - then why on earth did you buy this game when it clearly states in big bold lettering right on the box that an internet connection is required at all times?

Why did you just ignore that?

You have nobody to blame but yourself, really. I've almost finished the game now. I've spent 3 hours every night on this thing (30 hours in total), and I can enthusiastically confirm that if your internet connection DOES work then you won't have ANY problems playing this game.

I guess the moral of the story here is that if your internet connection is always going down on you, then don't buy this game.
 
the DRM has been beaten into the ground already...let the people that want to play the game decide for themselves...don't force your opinion on other people

I've been playing this game religiously every night since I bought it, and it would have been a great discussion to have compared this game to the original game - AC 2 is the most improved upon game over the original that I've ever played.

But look at the post above.

Every time you mention this game, somebody has to disrupt the thread with this stupid DRM discussion. You can't write a post about AC 2 without somebody attempting to sabotage it - my feeling is, why bother?
 
MMO's are different than a SINGLE player game, Wabe, that seems to be the key point you keep missing in your comparisons.

MMO's have that inherent sword over the player's head, a single player game should NEVER have that, that's the huge difference.

It makes all the difference in the world.

I ended up buying it for $30 for PS3

I disabled my internet connection when it asked me to do a 77 MB update for AC2, I did that so I could just play the damn game.

On PC, that wouldn't have been possible, and this is a SINGLE player game!
 
MMO's are different than a SINGLE player game, Wabe, that seems to be the key point you keep missing in your comparisons.

MMO's have that inherent sword over the player's head, a single player game should NEVER have that, that's the huge difference.

Not to mention the fact that the guy was hardly spreading FUD, talking about what might happen, or what could suck. He was relating an experience he actually had with the game, and his opinion was that it was a buzz kill, and lame. I understand why you might think people who haven't actually had any problems shouldn't be just talking smack about Ubi's DRM, but he actually had a problem, so why shouldn't he post about it? It's a problem that wouldn't have existed without the DRM, and yet the game would have been exactly the same without requiring a connection, something you couldn't say about an MMO(take away the internet connection, and the gameplay itself disappears).
 
MMO's are different than a SINGLE player game, Wabe, that seems to be the key point you keep missing in your comparisons.

But those days might be coming to an end - that's the point I'm trying to make.

I realize that single player games are single player games. Traditionally of course the logic has been this:

A single player game by its own definition is something that only one person plays. Why, therefore, would it be a requirement for the player to be connected to the internet?

And the answer may be this: Because one of the of the companies has decided that it doesn't want people who haven't paid for its games to be playing its games for free, and the only way they've been able to stop people from playing their games for free, quickly and easily, has been to create a DRM which requires constant connection to the internet.

Whatever you think about the DRM itself, the days of single player games functioning without an internet connection might be coming to an end - and I'm even reluctant to write the word 'might'. I believe that it's a certainty.

Ten years from now this will be an irrelevant issue anyhow because you'll even be able to walk out into deepest darkest Africa and be able to connect to the net. I'm guessing that in the future there will be no stand alone games at all - every game that you play, single player or multiplayer, will be linked to the net in some fashion. I have my doubts that we'll even be buying software in boxes. The days of going to the store and buying games are numbered - like purchasing music, we'll be doing it all over the net.

I just think that your argument here is a bit dated.
 
Last edited:
Not to mention the fact that the guy was hardly spreading FUD, talking about what might happen, or what could suck. He was relating an experience he actually had with the game, and his opinion was that it was a buzz kill, and lame. I understand why you might think people who haven't actually had any problems shouldn't be just talking smack about Ubi's DRM, but he actually had a problem, so why shouldn't he post about it? It's a problem that wouldn't have existed without the DRM, and yet the game would have been exactly the same without requiring a connection, something you couldn't say about an MMO(take away the internet connection, and the gameplay itself disappears).

He said that his internet connection crapped out on him for a good 15 minutes. I'm not making this up you know. You can go back and re-read it if you don't believe me.

Okay, so if this was a one time deal, then he has nothing to worry about. It won't happen again. He'll be able to play AC 2, and what happened was just a freaky thing that won't repeat itself.

If it does happen all the time to him then why on earth did he buy a game which says in huge bold lettering: THIS GAME REQUIRES CONSTANT ACCESS TO THE INTERNET?

I mean, jesus, if the guy doesn't have a stable internet connection why would he buy a game that requires him to be connected to the net at all times. I don't get that? That's just asking for trouble? That's going out of your way to make sure that you end up having a problem.

I mean, how much logic is required here?

If your internet craps out on you for fifteen minutes at a time, and a game says that it requires a constant internet connection in order to play - you know, most normal folks wouldn't have bought the game? Okay, he can post about the issue if he wants to. But all he's doing for me is demonstrating that he was looking for trouble in buying the game?
 
So what do you do if you're playing an MMO and your connection goes down? How is that not a buzz kill? Your internet connection went down for 15 minutes?

I fire up a single player game to occupy myself. I won't be able to do that any more if these asshats get their way.

I'm actually going to drop PC gaming altogether. I pay a lot more money for gaming on a pc than I would on a console and I
1) can't sell the games used or rent iffy games
2) don't get much better graphics lately with shitty ports
3) don't get patches for game problems with shitty ports
4) get to deal with problems designed to prevent pirating that don't effect pirates
 
Notice that people aren't buying these games with all the DRM on them? Devs will notice that and either implement better or no DRM, or get out of the PC market altogether, and someone else will take their place.

I simply won't support this.

Your argument is a straw man argument, it falls under it's own weight, it has nothing to stand on. I can look into the future and see a future with what I just typed above happening if enough people vote with their wallets and vote those bums out of the PC market.

I supported Stardock when they released DemiGod because I like their stance on DRM.

I buy Bethseda games because I support their near-DRM free games which enhance my game experience. I buy Valve games because they don't release ridiculous DRM, just Steam, which is a lot less intrusive than being blacked out when your internet connection takes a shit in the middle of gameplay. It has an Offline mode.

DRM is not effective in combating piracy, period, it gets cracked, it gets broken, and people will use it.

Why should the pirates have a better gameplay experience than I do? I don't care if someone else pirates the game or not, to be honest, I can do the same thing myself, I just choose not to.

I know where everything is at, I know where the stash is, what stops me from pirating is my creed of if the game isn't worth buying, then it's not worth playing.
 
DRM is not effective in combating piracy, period, it gets cracked, it gets broken, and people will use it.

Up until now, yes.

But things have changed now - and I'm not certain you understand this. I'm not sure a lot of people understand this.

Ubisoft said to PC Gamer that they had talked amongst themselves about a time-frame for how long it would take the pirates to produce working copies of these games. (I wish that PC Gamer had followed up that question by simply asking them what that time-frame was? In my opinion, PC Gamer has done a piss poor job of following this story. They had the contacts in place for this story, but failed to use them properly. This story was gold, and they just dropped the ball. But anyhow, why didn't they ask that question? That's the FIRST question I would have asked.)

In any event, PC Gamer then asked the guys at Ubisoft if once one game had been cracked, could all games be similarly cracked - and Ubisoft responded by saying that, without giving away the technological secrets, no.

That's a massive statement, because it means that the nature of the crack isn't algorithmic. Once Securom was cracked, for example, that was it - the pirates were in. All games using Securom could be cracked in a similar fashion - or rather, exactly the same way.

This DRM of Ubisoft's is huge because it alters the rules (this online thing has really fucked it up for the pirates). This DRM actually HAS BEEN effective. And because of its nature, there will be no working crack that will allow the pirates to pirate the game right out of the box, or even within weeks of its release.

Right now, even as we're debating this, I can only assume that the people in charge of all the major software companies are taking a good long look at this. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this opens the floodgates, and we see this same type of DRM implemented in ALL triple-A PC games.
 
Up until now, yes.

But things have changed now - and I'm not certain you understand this. I'm not sure a lot of people understand this.

Ubisoft said to PC Gamer that they had talked amongst themselves about a time-frame for how long it would take the pirates to produce working copies of these games. (I wish that PC Gamer had followed up that question by simply asking them what that time-frame was? In my opinion, PC Gamer has done a piss poor job of following this story. They had the contacts in place for this story, but failed to use them properly. This story was gold, and they just dropped the ball. But anyhow, why didn't they ask that question? That's the FIRST question I would have asked.)

In any event, PC Gamer then asked the guys at Ubisoft if once one game had been cracked, could all games be similarly cracked - and Ubisoft responded by saying that, without giving away the technological secrets, no.

That's a massive statement, because it means that the nature of the crack isn't algorithmic. Once Securom was cracked, for example, that was it - the pirates were in. All games using Securom could be cracked in a similar fashion - or rather, exactly the same way.

This DRM of Ubisoft's is huge because it alters the rules (this online thing has really fucked it up for the pirates). This DRM actually HAS BEEN effective. And because of its nature, there will be no working crack that will allow the pirates to pirate the game right out of the box, or even within weeks of its release.

Right now, even as we're debating this, I can only assume that the people in charge of all the major software companies are taking a good long look at this. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this opens the floodgates, and we see this same type of DRM implemented in ALL triple-A PC games.

A lot of the big PC companies don't believe in this kind of DRM. Its only big companies like Ubisoft that are pissed that their crappy, poorly supported, ports aren't selling well that are looking at this. It doesn't matter if its literally impossible to fully crack, if it damages sales its not going to last.
 
Last edited:
Up until now, yes.

But things have changed now - and I'm not certain you understand this. I'm not sure a lot of people understand this.

Ubisoft said to PC Gamer that they had talked amongst themselves about a time-frame for how long it would take the pirates to produce working copies of these games. (I wish that PC Gamer had followed up that question by simply asking them what that time-frame was? In my opinion, PC Gamer has done a piss poor job of following this story. They had the contacts in place for this story, but failed to use them properly. This story was gold, and they just dropped the ball. But anyhow, why didn't they ask that question? That's the FIRST question I would have asked.)

In any event, PC Gamer then asked the guys at Ubisoft if once one game had been cracked, could all games be similarly cracked - and Ubisoft responded by saying that, without giving away the technological secrets, no.

That's a massive statement, because it means that the nature of the crack isn't algorithmic. Once Securom was cracked, for example, that was it - the pirates were in. All games using Securom could be cracked in a similar fashion - or rather, exactly the same way.

This DRM of Ubisoft's is huge because it alters the rules (this online thing has really fucked it up for the pirates). This DRM actually HAS BEEN effective. And because of its nature, there will be no working crack that will allow the pirates to pirate the game right out of the box, or even within weeks of its release.

Right now, even as we're debating this, I can only assume that the people in charge of all the major software companies are taking a good long look at this. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this opens the floodgates, and we see this same type of DRM implemented in ALL triple-A PC games.

What you dont get is all this does is kill zero day piracy. The pirates will get it cracked and every one after as well its just now it will take time instead of being on or before launch day.

It also may not be algorithmic like securom but you can bet your ass that each game after they crack the first will take less and less time.
 
Just a quick heads up, there's a fix floating around that fixes the "Animus Freeze" that occurs with cracked copies of the game. People are reporting being able to finish the game to 100% completion now.

Nice job UBI, your DRM drove off legitimate customers, and was only effective for a grand total of 12 days. Can you please officially patch it out of your game so I can buy it now?
 
Nice job UBI, your DRM drove off legitimate customers, and was only effective for a grand total of 12 days. Can you please officially patch it out of your game so I can buy it now?

Wait a second...Ubisoft is Abstergo....Abstergo is Ubisoft!!!!


I will be dead by the time you read this...carry on Blakestr 2
 
Back
Top