Asassin's Creed 5: Unity

So we can expect no more patches to the main game for performances fixes?

I feel sorry for Red team players...
If the DLC is coming out next week we can probably expect a patch to add compatibility for it. Whether or not it will include more performance fixes is yet to be seen. Seeing how it's Ubisoft and TWIMTBP, though, I wouldn't give my hopes up for any AMD-specific issues being addressed. It's probably safe to say we'll never see tesselation added to the game at this point.

Have they even mentioned tessellation since the game came out?

This doesn't have tessellation? I've been holding off playing. I can't even imagine what it'd look like with it, if it's not on right now.

If the DLC is coming out next week we can probably expect a patch to add compatibility for it. Whether or not it will include more performance fixes is yet to be seen. Seeing how it's Ubisoft and TWIMTBP, though, I wouldn't give my hopes up for any AMD-specific issues being addressed. It's probably safe to say we'll never see tesselation added to the game at this point.

They already added the DLC compatibility. You can see the fast travel for it at your home.

tessellation will probably drop frame rates to the single digits

Doubt it will drop my FPS by 50 :p

heh, still broken on latest patch, check out these glitches

http://youtu.be/KcMrNDTOWXc?t=15m50s

I would imagine his impressions of the game are with dual GPUs? The game fucking runs flawlessly with a single card. This game has been fine for quite some time in single card configs. You knew damn well what you were getting into going SLI/Xfire... don't expect to not have issues with those configs...they have never, never ever, ever ever, been good -- outside of benchmarks.

The game fucking runs flawlessly with a single card

yup, that's why Ubisoft is offering free DLC and free games to everyone who bought the game...because only SLI users and those with older video cards are having issues :rolleyes:

yup, that's why Ubisoft is offering free DLC and free games to everyone who bought the game...because only SLI users and those with older video cards are having issues :rolleyes:

He probably should have prefaced his comment with "Since patch 1.4....".

I am sure the huge number of issues some have faced or are currently facing are legitimate, however I have not had any of the issues described at launch, and I have not seen a single flickering shadow on a single card.

That being said, Ubisoft has a crap load of optimization/performance improvements to work out, I generally see FPS bounces from 40-60 fps, in some instances for no reason. I also did not even bother picking the game up until the Steam sale so I "missed out" on the launch issues.

Single GTX 980.

On a side note, I'd be willing to bet that the reason Ubisoft made any attempt at all to appease the season pass holders with free games is because the issues affect not only PC's or other single platform, but all platforms.

You havent even played the game. Please have more opinions of it while you wait for the tessellation patch.

I mean really guy you haven't even played the fucking game and here you are. Incredible.Let me know when you have actually stop watching this thread and actually played the fucking game. You remind me of my ex wife. She was dumb too.

Last edited:
You havent even played the game. Please have more opinions of it while you wait for the tessellation patch.

I mean really guy you haven't even played the fucking game and here you are. Incredible.

and you've played the game and sound delusional..."runs flawlessly" lol...yeah sure...I'm sure the apology from the CEO of Ubisoft about the performace was just for SLI/X-Fire users lol...let me quote his exact words..."Unfortunately, at launch, the overall quality of the game was diminished by bugs and unexpected technical issues. I want to sincerely apologize on behalf of Ubisoft and the entire Assassin's Creed team"

or how about we look at some performance numbers from some well respected online sources such as [H] or even TotalBiscuit...can we get 1 article showing that the game runs 'flawlessly'?...lol

I might actually start playing this week if tomorrow's free DLC is released with no tessellation patch...the game looks gorgeous from what I've seen and heard but even the biggest Ubisoft apologist will admit the game has major optimization and performance issues...and your ex-wife doesn't sound so dumb if she divorced you

and you've played the game and sound delusional..."runs flawlessly" lol...yeah sure...I'm sure the apology from the CEO of Ubisoft about the performace was just for SLI/X-Fire users lol...let me quote his exact words..."Unfortunately, at launch, the overall quality of the game was diminished by bugs and unexpected technical issues. I want to sincerely apologize on behalf of Ubisoft and the entire Assassin's Creed team"

or how about we look at some performance numbers from some well respected online sources such as [H] or even TotalBiscuit...can we get 1 article showing that the game runs 'flawlessly'?...lol

I might actually start playing this week if tomorrow's free DLC is released with no tessellation patch...the game looks gorgeous from what I've seen and heard but even the biggest Ubisoft apologist will admit the game has major optimization and performance issues

I am sorry man but you are fucking delusional. You haven't played the game. It runs at a locked 60fps on intel/Maxwell. Wait for that Tesselation patch though, or continue to bitch about a game you haven't played. You can't really be this stupid.

I mean really guy you haven't even played the fucking game and here you are. Incredible.Let me know when you have actually stop watching this thread and actually played the fucking game. You remind me of my ex wife. She was dumb too.

I've finished the game. It's a steaming pile of mediocrity from a core design standpoint. On top of that they game is riddled with free to play style microtransaction bollocks and additionally on map collectables that can only be obtained through the use of an idiotic mobile app. The game does nothing to deviate from the bog standard "Ubisoft Game" template with 90% of the side content feeling more paper thin and tacked on than ever.

This game is bad, in both it's technical aspects and it's execution..

I've finished the game. It's a steaming pile of mediocrity from a core design standpoint. On top of that they game is riddled with free to play style microtransaction bollocks and additionally on map collectables that can only be obtained through the use of an idiotic mobile app. The game does nothing to deviate from the bog standard "Ubisoft Game" template with 90% of the side content feeling more paper thin and tacked on than ever.

This game is bad, in both it's technical aspects and it's execution..

I think it's the best AC game to date. It has the best combat, parkour, mission system and graphics of any AC game. Not only is it the best looking game on the market it also runs pretty damn good if you have an nvidia card.

Make no mistake this game had some issues but it was definitely overblown by the neck-beards with shitty AMD systems. I learned my lesson buying AMD CPUs and GPUs. They look good on paper but never perform remotely as smooth as Nvidia cards, or intel, for that matter.

Look at the Steam forums if you want to see what the typical PC gamer is running hardware wise. They ask questions like; can my Intel HD 4000 run the game at highest settings. This is your typical PC gamer in a nutshell.

I would imagine his impressions of the game are with dual GPUs? The game fucking runs flawlessly with a single card. This game has been fine for quite some time in single card configs. You knew damn well what you were getting into going SLI/Xfire... don't expect to not have issues with those configs...they have never, never ever, ever ever, been good -- outside of benchmarks.

I have been running SLI for three years now and have not run into any issues apart from when devs have been slow to release profiles.

The malformed unoptimized turds regularly squeezed out by Ubi recently however are constantly replete with issues including SLI/Crossfire compatibility problems.Farcry 3 ran fine for me using SLI, Farcry 4 on the other hand, which is effectively a glorified expansion, is still suffering from SLI issues which Ubi seems incapable of fixing.

To claim that users should expect problems with SLI/Crossfire is asinine because most other devs, especially AAA ones apart from Ubi, appear to have no issues ensuring their games work properly on those hardware configurations.

I'm hearing good things about the Dead Kings DLC...puts the spotlight on the best aspects of Unity- the Murder Mysteries, Paris Stories and even an updated version of the Nostradamus Enigma puzzles...it was also developed by Ubisoft’s Montpellier studio, the team responsible for critically successful games like Rayman: Origins and ZombiU

So how broken is the game currently? Are most of the bugs fixed? How about performance? Seems like it runs bad on AMD cards (I have Nvidia). Did they fix the garbage control scheme from Black Flag/3? I was thinking the new engine would improve the game, but was not surprised it was rather broken at launch much like AC3/4.

So how broken is the game currently? Are most of the bugs fixed? How about performance? Seems like it runs bad on AMD cards (I have Nvidia). Did they fix the garbage control scheme from Black Flag/3? I was thinking the new engine would improve the game, but was not surprised it was rather broken at launch much like AC3/4.

I picked it up over the holiday sale (same price it is right now on Steam), and honestly, no regrets. I've yet to encounter any bugs. The performance isn't where it should be. I think it looks fantastic and can get very playable frame rates, but with hardware far beyond what it should take. With a 980, everything maxed, 1080p, 4x MSAA I sit at 45-60fps. I can deal with that.

Gameplay wise, I really think its great so far. It's Assassins Creed through and through, but it's nice to be back to an old school dense city. I really like the little bit of character customization they added. Equipping individual armor pieces, lots more weapons, item upgrades, skill tree... it's almost bordering on action RPG in some regards. Controls are a bit weird. Better, I think, but it takes an adjustment. The got rid of the auto-climb bullshit from 3/4, which drove me fucking crazy. Nothing was more frustrating that sprinting around and automatically latching on to every little fucking thing in my vicinity. In Unity, holding run just makes you run. There are separate buttons that must also be held to climb up/hurdle or climb down/slide. It took me a bit to figure out what combination of buttons I needed to hold to get where I wanted to be, but after a few hours I've got it down and can traverse the city much quicker and smoother than I ever could in the previous two games. I also really like the crouch and cover system. It's pretty basic, but it works. Stealth sucked in Black Flag, and it's a lot better here. Don't expect Metal Gear Solid... but there's at least functional stealth for the first time. Combat is the same as it ever was. Certain buttons are different, but the general flow of combat is the same. Spam attack, hit the counter button when the game tells you to, drop bombs if you get overwhelmed, yadda, yadda. I don't mind the combat as it is though, it's that of your typical hack and slash, and it works fine for me.

Microtransactions, companion apps, friend activities, etc. are present, and are annoying. Such is gaming in 2014/15. Best to just ignore it and move on.

Last edited:
Got this game installed and am having a few issues. First is getting stuck while climbing like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1PXjJTcKyw

Happened twice. Is this a common occurrence or is there a way to jump off when this happens? I managed to get off once (don't recall how), and got shot to death the 2nd time.

Second is AA. Even 4x MSAA didn't look that good, and was too much of a performance hit to leave it on. 2x MSAA and FXAA look really terrible. Does forcing AA via the Nvidia control panel help? I am running at 1080 BTW.

Third is textures. Maybe this is caused by the not so good AA, but the game looks pretty washed out. Especially characters. I don't recall seeing an AF option in game. Would that be something to force via the Nvidia control panel?

Graphically it only looks marginally better than Black Flag, IMO. Not nearly as good as Crysis 2/3, Metro, or BF3/4. Not terrible but nothing special.

If there aren't any fixes for these things I'll just shelve it and try GTA4 instead.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to even play the DLC.

I can only get like 30-40fps on low settings with a single GTX 970 overlocked to 1542mhz at 2560x1600. I get a stable 60fps with SLI at max settings, but the flickering drives you mad. I can't play on the 1080p plasma, because there's god awful input lag that I've never experienced in any other games on the tv.

Update- Ok there was a fix posted for the sli flicking that seems to work. This game has been such a frustrating mess.

Last edited:
It runs okay for me. I get random stutters, about 4-5 seconds long. I got a crash or two early on in the game. Frame rates with 2x MSAA aren't that good at 1080, drops to the 40s but does go to the 60s.

Controls don't seem like an improvement over Blackflag to me. Pretty much the same slow response, auto climb/jump stuff as before. Makes navigating quickly or trying to do something stealthily a pain.

The game itself I find pretty dull. Only a few hours in, but I don't care for the story at all. Blackflag had a great sense of exploration to it. And the ship based travel/island finding was great. It just feels like there is a lot missing in Unity. Tall buildings + large crowds don't play well with the control/auto everything system in place either. Hopefully it gets better.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the latest nVidia drivers seem to have greatly improved things for me. It even fixed the SLI flickering bug without having to do the workaround for me.

my 50th post asking about tessellation...I wish Ubisoft/Nvidia would just come out and say that tessellation will not be added

Maybe I'm crazy, but the latest nVidia drivers seem to have greatly improved things for me. It even fixed the SLI flickering bug without having to do the workaround for me.

Saw no difference on my end. Still 55-60fps solid. No increase or decrease.

Your not crazy I can confirm this for you. Not only that for the first time I'm noticing dust at my feet when I run or even dirt being kicked around. Performance seems a bit more consistent. I have this weird fast travel bug that seems to happen if you fast travel a few times. the game begins hitching every 8 seconds for no reason. It isn't a fps issue as they stay reporting high on the MSI OSD (Rivatuner) I'm not sure if this fixed that because I was only playing for about 10 minutes earlier.

So I finished this game and am posting a review. I am a big Ass Creed fan and have played all games that hit consoles and PC with the exception of Liberation (some way through in it) and Ass Creed Rogue (intended to pick this up when it hits PC).

The games are about free roaming gameplay so first just let me say that overall gameplay is solid and still quite fun. I loved the level of customization I could do to my character. There are other mini games introduced like lock picking, solving a crime and accusing, doing Paris stories etc that were a nice distraction. The free running has improved a lot. Most of my gripes in Ass Creed games had been around falling down. This was simplified for the better and love that I can scale down buildings as fast as I could go up before.

Combat was still a sore point but much better than previous games. You did get attacked by more than one person in this one and it was a nuisance that required you to be always on your feet to avoid taking damage. The combat is much more technical now and just pressing a button to slice 5 guys around you no longer works. Overall, I enjoyed combat with the exception of cases where NPCs got stuck or I got stuck in terrain.

Music returns with full force in this one with great tracks and absolutely fantastic voice acting. Arno and Elise are voiced perfectly with the remaining actors also pulling in strong performances. Love the soundtrack of the game as well.

Graphics are absolutely gorgeous when you are not looking at glitches and lod transitions whilst running. Paris views are fantastic. Facial animations are superb. The hair, makeup, and overall clothing details are absolutely stunning and game has some of the best textures you will ever see in a game.

The story is not too great but quite good given the constraints. This game could have been an absolute hit if it were released in the condition it is now. They really screwed themselves over with this one. The game is a clear 9/10 and on par with black flag. It is really a shame how they ****ed this one up!

Anybody else run in to the issue where the game thinks you've beat the main story so it allows access to "new content"? Well I completely fucked my game progress up by fast travelling to an "f" on my map (thinking it would be like travelling between Paris and Versailles) but nope, it started me on Dead Kings with a cutscene that I had no Idea what was going on.

And it appears there is no way to fast travel back to Paris. It's almost like my game said "fuck you we skipped everything else and you can't go back except to replay missions".

Anybody else run in to the issue where the game thinks you've beat the main story so it allows access to "new content"? Well I completely fucked my game progress up by fast travelling to an "f" on my map (thinking it would be like travelling between Paris and Versailles) but nope, it started me on Dead Kings with a cutscene that I had no Idea what was going on.

And it appears there is no way to fast travel back to Paris. It's almost like my game said "fuck you we skipped everything else and you can't go back except to replay missions".

You can travel back to Paris from the DLC. It should be labeled "Ile Saint-Louis".

You can travel back to Paris from the DLC. It should be labeled "Ile Saint-Louis".

Awesome thanks. I guess I'm an idiot for accidentally starting the DLC. I'm still of the opinion that the game shouldn't even let you start it or notify you that it's there until you've actually, you know, beaten the game that it continues?

Awesome thanks. I guess I'm an idiot for accidentally starting the DLC. I'm still of the opinion that the game shouldn't even let you start it or notify you that it's there until you've actually, you know, beaten the game that it continues?

It's not just you (we're idiots together!) I did the same thing while fast travelling. Obnoxious.

Finally starting this game, and I have to say that I'm floored by the graphics and animation. In some areas it's almost photo-realistic. Performance has been more or less okay thus far. The in-game cutscenes are tiny bit choppy at times, but the game itself is running well on my admittedly pretty strong hardware.
I'm not far enough into the game to judge it, but the graphics are arguably the best I've ever seen. If they had another 9 months to a year to polish it, this could have been something special.

There's always the NVIDIA tessellation patch... that is supposed to be... coming soon?

There is a guy on this forum that has been waiting for this tesselation patch since release. I hope it finally comes for the poor bastard, lol.

I've been waiting for tessellation but as of Patch 4 was ready to play regardless...have been busy and haven't gotten around to it so now I'll wait and hope that Patch 5 brings it :D

I was waiting for tessellation, but at this point I've given up on ever seeing it. This game will be my holdover from now until GTAV and Bloodborne, so if it ends up sucking, I won't feel bad dropping it.

Back