Asassin's Creed 5: Unity

Patch 5 is Now Available

**Update 5 for PC has a small unavoidable delay and is expected to be released soon

biggest change is that Ubisoft will be unlocking all content exclusive to Initiates and the Companion App, including both blue and gold chests...players can still progress on the Companion App, they just will no longer be required to complete content to unlock in-game chests

Release Notes
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1013224-Patch-5-Release-Notes

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/18/80...tiaties-companion-app-chests-unlocked-ubisoft

major step in the right direction by eliminating all that mobile app and Initiates exclusive crap...

Patch 5 is Now Available

**Update 5 for PC has a small unavoidable delay and is expected to be released soon

biggest change is that Ubisoft will be unlocking all content exclusive to Initiates and the Companion App, including both blue and gold chests...players can still progress on the Companion App, they just will no longer be required to complete content to unlock in-game chests

Release Notes
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1013224-Patch-5-Release-Notes

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/18/80...tiaties-companion-app-chests-unlocked-ubisoft

major step in the right direction by eliminating all that mobile app and Initiates exclusive crap...

It's nice to see them unlocking the stupid mobile content, but there appears to be not much else of substance here.

Are we to assume that from a performance standpoint, things are done being improved upon?

It's nice to see them unlocking the stupid mobile content, but there appears to be not much else of substance here.

Are we to assume that from a performance standpoint, things are done being improved upon?

they stated that the PC specific fixes for Patch 5 will be updated later so hopefully there'll be more improvements/optimizations (tessellation? :D)

they stated that the PC specific fixes for Patch 5 will be updated later so hopefully there'll be more improvements/optimizations (tessellation? :D)

Is there something I missed other than what's in the post linked above? I see the PC version coming out later (and a delay) but nothing regarding PC exclusive features that are TBA.

Is there something I missed other than what's in the post linked above? I see the PC version coming out later (and a delay) but nothing regarding PC exclusive features that are TBA.

tessellation was announced when the game was released as 'coming soon'...other PC specific fixes for Patch 5 should be detailed when it actually is released (not expecting anything major but maybe some SLI/Crossfire fixes)

I've not played any of the AC games before. I got this one for free when it came out but I refuse to participate in any online BS so I hadn't played it. I see now they are finally patching that crap out so I'll give it a shot. Isn't there a new AC coming next month though? Do they normally continue to support previous titles with updates? That seems very not-ubisoft.

I think they've been forced to update it to make it even playable. They've gotten such bad press over this game that they had little choice.
The one coming next month is a port of a last-gen (360/PS3) side game. It might be a better game than Unity, but it won't be running on the new engine...for better or worse.

AC: Rogue is Black Flag Part 2...the true sequel to Unity is AC: Victory taking place in Victorian Era London and coming out next November

I think they've been forced to update it to make it even playable. They've gotten such bad press over this game that they had little choice.
The one coming next month is a port of a last-gen (360/PS3) side game. It might be a better game than Unity, but it won't be running on the new engine...for better or worse.

If it looks and performs on par with Black Flag, I'm down. I won't chance it with a pre-order, but I am interested in the game. Naval combat was awesome, ,and I'm ready for more of it.

I've not played any of the AC games before. I got this one for free when it came out but I refuse to participate in any online BS so I hadn't played it. I see now they are finally patching that crap out so I'll give it a shot. Isn't there a new AC coming next month though? Do they normally continue to support previous titles with updates? That seems very not-ubisoft.
They patched out the companion app stuff because they could never get it working right. They took the Initiates site down back before Christmas and it has never come back. The game could never sync properly with the companion app, either.

The game coming next month was exclusive to last-gen consoles, so it's not really "new." It came out at the same time as Unity.

Rogue is essentially a sequel to Blackflag. Honestly looks more interesting than this.

I finished Unity. It was somewhat improved over Blackflag techically; you can crouch and the auto climbing/running isn't as bad but it still exists. Some other minor fixes. I got bad stutters, but they went away for most of the game. Although it looked like I was getting poor frame rates turning up FRAPs showed me I was getting 52-57 in most places. AA looks rather bad though.

I warmed up to the game/setting as it went on, but I still think Blackflag was more fun overall. The overall story (while simplistic) was nice. Though I really liked the theme/setting as the traveling by ship added a great sense of scale and adventure.

Is it worth $23 now? I want to be able to jump into it and progress, enjoy the visuals, etc.

It's playable right now. Performance is a bit weird, but it's a functional game. I'm a fan of the other games, but am finding this one hard to get into. It just isn't compelling. However it does look fantastic. The graphics and animation are among the best I've ever seen. From a slight distance the game looks nearly photographic. That's probably the worst thing about this fiasco. With some polish - this game could have been something really special.

Ubisoft has released the delayed Assassin’s Creed: Unity Patch 5 for PC today, but players are still waiting for detailed patch notes...the change log posted up a couple of days ago is console focused and community staffer Mr_Shade states that proper PC notes will be shared “soon”

For now, there’s the readme.txt update for Patch 5:

DLC outfits and weapons issues fixed
Fixed various Uplay Actions issues
Fixed minor Uplay Achievements issues
Minor render fixes
Minor UI fixes
Performance improvements
Nvidia SLI flickering fixed

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/02/assassins-creed-unity-pc-patch-5-released-patch-notes-awol

I need to finish Sequence 13. On last memory of that sequence. I think this is one of the games that you love if you are invested in the series. I was happy to forgo almost all of its flaws and really enjoyed it. Now the performance and most of bugs are fixed, it is a solid 9/10 game for me.

I need to finish Sequence 13. On last memory of that sequence. I think this is one of the games that you love if you are invested in the series. I was happy to forgo almost all of its flaws and really enjoyed it. Now the performance and most of bugs are fixed, it is a solid 9/10 game for me.

Same here. But Ubi really needs to get the controls and combat tightened up. Running down a street evading guards to then climb on to a random chair/table laying in the road is annoying. I mean how hard can it be to simply have the 'run/sprint' buttons and the 'jump/climb/scale' buttons to be different? When I sprint my character should never climb, ever. He should just run, even if I am running into walls, chickens, women, etc. JUST RUN. When I want to actually climb the wall I hit the correct action button. And make the combat more like the Souls series.I don't want every encounter to be tedious like souls, but if the guard/enemy is an 'elite' then sure I need to whittle him down and be cautious of his attacks.

Why is this so damn hard for UBI to get?

I've always wondered why they even have running be a button...you're doing it like 95% of the game. Why not make walking silently a toggle and just make the R2 functions always on?
The return of Hi/Low was odd, IMO, too. AC feels like a game that really only needs 2-3 buttons, but they needlessly make you use more.

Agree with the running and climbing being a single button. If I remember correctly, in Ass Creed 2 it was separate but in later versions they combined it (or maybe it was Ass Creed 1; forgetting now).

I actually loved the combat in this one. On foot combat in this one had me on my toes since I enemies were no longer waiting to attack me. I could be shot from a distance while being sliced by 2 enemies at once. I know there are a lot of clipping issues with combat but still I quite enjoyed it better than previous games. You actually had to dodge in this one and also counter attacks from different angles. Also, there was no keep pressing a single button to slice 5 guys' throats in succession. I liked that as a feature in previous games where combat was just tedious. In this one, if they had that feature, I would have hated it. I think they need to really focus on combat mechanics and fine tune them in the London game that is coming up.

On the storyline, I was a bit let down with the lack of modern world link and I did not understand who this initiate was and who was making him connect to Animus. The whole modern world link has been a bit hard for me to understand. However, the core story of France and the Assassin was still intriguing. The ending was also pretty satisfying. Sequence 13 is a bit all over the place with the kid and all but I am intrigued to open the damn vault. Will finish it over the weekend.

AC: Rogue is out this Tuesday...who's pre-ordering? :D ...Ubisoft should have given away Rogue as the free game instead of the Dead Kings DLC...I'm still waiting for the tessellation patch to play Unity so I'll pass on Rogue...although I do hear good things about the game...it sounds like Black Flag 2 (which is a good thing)

Assassin’s Creed: Rogue PC Port Impressions

Hold on to your tri-cornered hats, people; Assassin’s Creed: Rogue actually has a great PC version...there aren’t any fancy Nvidia-sponsored options to toggle, but it does run (mostly) smooth and manages to hold 60fps on my rapidly aging PC a good 90 percent of the time...The only time I’ve seen anything below 50 fps was when sailing past a sea battle between five or six other sizeable vessels – there, it tanked to about 35 for a bit... whether it’s down to improved optimization, Rogue perhaps being slightly less demanding in some areas than Black Flag, or the lack of Nvidia tie-ins giving AMD a smoother ride for once, I’m not sure...

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/assassins-creed-rogue-pc-port-impressions

It runs smooth because it looks like shit.

Does this game have an NDA? Because that guy is either breaking it, or using a pirate copy of the game.

Last edited:
It runs smooth because it looks like shit.

Does this game have an NDA? Because that guy is either breaking it, or using a pirate copy of the game.

it looks like Black Flag which looked pretty good...it's only looks bad because people are now comparing it to Unity (which uses a new engine)

Assassin's Creed Rogue Console Vs PC Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ECs6m9lPk

the site is legit...the guy is not breaking any NDA because he's not actually reviewing the game itself...he's just talking about the PC port

the site is legit...the guy is not breaking any NDA because he's not actually reviewing the game itself...he's just talking about the PC port
AC4 had a PS4/XBO version which looked a lot better, and then a PC version which looked even better than those. Rogue is just copy-pasted from last-gen consoles. A lot of the video settings from AC4 are actually gone in Rogue.

It's the equivalent of playing Black Flag on med/low settings. While I would say AC4 looked above average, Rogue looks below average. It's an ugly game.

it looks like Black Flag which looked pretty good...it's only looks bad because people are now comparing it to Unity (which uses a new engine)

Honestly, I don't think it looks terrible. The proper resolution and framerate make a big difference. Sure, it looks a little dated, but it looks good enough that I don't think it will detract from the experience.

Do I think it's worth paying full price for, probably not? Once it hits around $30, I'll probably bite.

Rogue = Black Flag 2 with some refinements. I'm happy with it. :)

IMO it's better than Black Flag. I am running it Maxed out @ 1620p @ 60fps. For some reason the game is locked to 60fps. Running it on my TV, it looks OK, nothing in the same leagues as Unity but it does run great. I imagine a well overclocked 980 could get locked 60fps @ 4k pretty easily.

Black Flag was my favorite in the series, Rogue is on its way to taking the crown though.
So many nice improvements to the game, plus the "pirate" theme from Black Flag got old really fast. It's nice to just play as a regular guy (Templar, I guess). Kenway was never really an assassin either.

Performance is stellar, but that may be due to the lower graphics... Draw distance in Rogue is absolutely butchered.

Apparently NYC and River Valley are copy-pasted from AC3 but I never played it. So, it's all new to me.

A little disappointed to have that modern day setting in that office with that first person view again. I hadn't missed that nonsense in Unity.

Apparently NYC and River Valley are copy-pasted from AC3 but I never played it. So, it's all new to me.

Yes. You cross paths with characters from previous games, too. Nice continuity and way to fill in certain gaps to find out what happened to them.

Last edited:
Someone else on another site was complaining about Rogue's length so I made a comparison:

Black Flag's campaign takes approximately twice as long as Rogue's, and contains almost twice as many missions.

For full completion, Black Flag takes about 50% longer. So in terms of total content, Rogue puts more focus on side activities than Black Flag did, but falls short in both main campaign and total activities by comparison.

Ignoring the fact that Rogue is a very, very similar game to Black Flag. I didn't play AC3, but apparently the New York City and River Valley maps are recycled from that game. Rogue is $49.99 on Steam right now (PC), which is considered to be full price for PC titles.

Honestly, Ubisoft should have priced this game @ $29.99 or $39.99.

LyJQkCA.png

I'm surprised Rogue is that short...since it was a 'new' AC game for previous gen consoles I thought it would be the same length as Black Flag

There's a reason Ubisoft titled it the same way as their mini-DLC campaigns.
Freedom Cry, Liberation, etc. Rogue isn't called "Assassin's Creed 5" or 6.

Probably would have been better for their rep if they released Rogue as Black Flag DLC like Freedom Cry and charged a bit more for it.

I've barely touched Rogue's campaign and I'm already halfway through! I'm not even a Templar yet. Geez.

Last edited:
the difference between console vs PC is a night/day difference...too much bloom with the console version...everything looks washed out

Not really.. PC's can look washed out too.. It all depends how you capture it.

Textures are identical. The only thing that looks better is the higher resolution. Other then that.. Dam near the same. But that was expected.. It is a 360/PS3 game.

The gear upgrade system in Unity is a nice feature, everything else feels like a downgrade. They actually removed content from previous games. Reminds me of San Andreas -> GTA 4.

Black Flag / Rogue are actually better games. For some reason Ubisoft thinks pretty graphics and big crowds is enough to carry the entire game.
And somehow the parkour system is actually MORE clunky than before. I guess it's all those shiny new realistic animations they're using.

Back