Asassin's Creed 5: Unity

Clock for clock AMD cannot compete with current Intel cpus. Intel is simply faster.

It's not about what's faster, as no one is going to disagree that Intel is faster. It's about real gamers not using AMD which is bs. It's like when browsing reddit, half their "PC Master Race" users use computers which would be laughed at on [H] at how weak they are. Not everyone can afford the same level of computer (or choose to purchase high end gear), so, yes, there are people who are passionate about gaming who do use AMD CPUs.

I'm talking about AA being included when I say all the options. Even before patch 4 and the latest Nvidia patch, with FXAA, I could pretty much keep a solid 90 fps @1080p which barely dipped below that excluding issues such as the chapel window or the theatre which were known to have problems.

Ah ok, yeah I don't how it runs with 2/4xMSAA as I always use post AA in my games if it is available or I force/inject it. IMO SMAA has the perfect performance/quality that no other AA method can match. In ACU Fxaa is pretty damn good compared to everything else I have tried as far as image quality and getting rid of jaggies.

I'm only one data point, but...

With a single GTX970 and an i5 2500K at the stock speed, the game seems totally smooth, to me. I don't have the energy to measure framerates these days, but by my sole performance metric, it works perfectly fine on my moderately nice setup.

I didn't think anyone who cared about gaming actually owned an AMD CPU anymore. They haven't been competitive in that market in like, what, six or seven years at least?

AMD CPUs do fine for gaming. And some of them are great bang for buck.

It's not about what's faster, as no one is going to disagree that Intel is faster. It's about real gamers not using AMD which is bs. It's like when browsing reddit, half their "PC Master Race" users use computers which would be laughed at on [H] at how weak they are. Not everyone can afford the same level of computer (or choose to purchase high end gear), so, yes, there are people who are passionate about gaming who do use AMD CPUs.

I don't doubt at all that there are gamers who play games on AMD systems, but I would guess that they're a minority - Intel just seems to own the consumer PC market these days, regardless of the application. I'm not even sure if I've ever actually seen a PC with the current generation of AMD chips, now that I think about it.

You have to remember though, that PC gaming covers a pretty broad spectrum, so while they're probably able to play World of Warcraft or Counter Strike just fine, it's probably safe to assume that anyone trying to play Assassin's Creed Unity on weak hardware is not likely to be in the "I dunno what you guys are complaining about, it runs totally fine for me at 1080P" camp.

Clock for clock AMD cannot compete with current Intel cpus. Intel is simply faster.
He was talking about the market, not performance. Everyone knows Intel chips are faster and more efficient. You cannot go by market share numbers because those include more than just gaming consumers.

It's not all about cost, either. A lot of people I have seen, especially on this forum, choose AMD because they do not like the business practices and ideological stance of Intel as a company. Still others choose AMD out of brand loyalty and/or because they believe in what they are doing for the industry. And I'm sure there are plenty who do so because they are cheaper.

Game related issue:

Anyone experiencing a game freeze after continuing from the first sequence? My sequence after loading my last save game caused my game to freeze at the loading screen (the bars are still rotating, but not much beyond that)

Edit: Also, any idea how to skip the intro?

Game related issue:

Anyone experiencing a game freeze after continuing from the first sequence? My sequence after loading my last save game caused my game to freeze at the loading screen (the bars are still rotating, but not much beyond that)

Edit: Also, any idea how to skip the intro?
The freeze issue happens when you don't delete your config files after the game is patched. This happens quite often with Ubisoft games. Unfortunately it means you have to set your options again. Instructions.

Intro videos?

The intro video fix did it for me, thank you

But the freeze issue hasn't, I had deleted the files in that folder several times with no changes.

It could be possible to be caused by the fact that I had played intro sequence before the download was finished last night... Otherwise 1.4.0 is the first version i have downloaded, I did not get my PYP code until yesterday

Edit: Actually, resetting the settings to defaults in the game options did it. Thanks.

Also, Running 970 SLI and turning everything to max (with TXAA on), the 45 or so fps feels surprisingly smooth on a G-Sync monitor.

I think I am liking it more and more (AC:U and G-Sync that is)

Last edited:
The intro video fix did it for me, thank you

But the freeze issue hasn't, I had deleted the files in that folder several times with no changes.

It could be possible to be caused by the fact that I had played intro sequence before the download was finished last night... Otherwise 1.4.0 is the first version i have downloaded, I did not get my PYP code until yesterday
Could quite possibly be that your save game is corrupted because of it. Sounds like you're not far into the game at this point, so I would just start a new game.

Yeah, Fixed it with an in game reset to defaults, works fine now.

Problem is my textures are flickering and my FPS drops in the chase sequence is abyssmal, think I am going to turn down the details.

any more patches planned before the end of the year?....or do we have to wait till 2015?...I finally redeemed my Pick Your Path game last night...chose AC: Unity after looking at a thread with some stunning screenshots on the NeoGaf forums...most people there consider it the best looking game of 2014...I wish Ubisoft would release the tessellation patch already

Patches before the end of the year? I seriously doubt it. Unless it's a major emergency patch, they'll probably have until the New Years off.

Patches before the end of the year? I seriously doubt it. Unless it's a major emergency patch, they'll probably have until the New Years off.

Ubisoft should force their workers to work during the holidays to fix Unity...and Far Cry 4...and The Crew...and Watch Dogs...also withhold any bonuses :D

I got the game 2 days ago (version 1.4.0)
1920x1080, Max settings (TXAA, Ultra textures, Soft Shadows etc.)
No bugs in 6 hours of gameplay (besides a single dress doing something odd), smooth gameplay, very nice graphics.

It's the first game where the city actually feels alive.
But like DOOM3 and Crysis...a lot of people will complain due to to high expectations of their hardware.

I got the game 2 days ago (version 1.4.0)
1920x1080, Max settings (TXAA, Ultra textures, Soft Shadows etc.)
No bugs in 6 hours of gameplay (besides a single dress doing something odd), smooth gameplay, very nice graphics.

It's the first game where the city actually feels alive.

I agree.

But like DOOM3 and Crysis...a lot of people will complain due to to high expectations of their hardware.

I came out on the better side of things but the game really did ship with a slew of very real and egregious technical issues, some of which related to performance.

If the game had launched in the shape it's in right now it would have been ok.

I came out on the better side of things but the game really did ship with a slew of very real and egregious technical issues, some of which related to performance.

I'm not sure I'd agree. There has been a lot of hate on Ubisoft, much more than I think is deserved. Even unpatched, Unity is hardly the most bug ridden game I've played this year, let alone all time (which belongs to Bethesda's Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall). Yet some games get passes and others don't. I said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again. They came out with the game a few years too early. The game is amazing graphically, probably in my top 3 of all time up to this point, yet it has steep requirements, far beyond what most users have, and it shows on the forums with all the people complaining how unplayable the game is when they don't meet minimum requirements (who, mysteriously are also the same people who thought Ubisoft was lying when they released the specs for the game). And, I'm still upset with the massive misuse of the term optimization that keeps popping up (even sadly in the video card review).

Nytegard: You mentioned the big elephant in the room: Bethesda.

I'm amazed at how much forgiveness and slack they get.

Even on launch day: I have had FAR less problems with ANY Ubisoft game up right through now vs ANY of Bethesda's games.

Some of the issues many of us have had on Bethesda games never fully go away, either. Regardless of patches. Regardless of troubleshooting. Regardless of configurations. Regardless of (fill in the blank here.)

It's not even close.

Bethesda has earned some legitimate frustration and anger after x number of years of the following cycle:

We wait a relative eternity to get a new game from them...Fallout, Elder Scrolls, anything like that... and their games are buggy train wrecks for months when they launch and never get fully fixed.

It's a given that if you buy one of their games on day one you are paying premium dollars to be a glorified beta tester and a bunch of us keep doing it anyways. Note the self inclusion qualifier.

Their marketing is second to none: When one of their games is on the horizon it's a huge "gaming event" because we've waited so damned long for it and I'm not sure why that is, either.

A 60 second teaser video for Fallout 4 will have a huge thread with dozens of pages in no time flat when it hits. It's amazing.

Bethesda has made things more difficult instead of easier for the modding community on their games as well which is an additional insult. Skyrim's inherent, never to be fixed flaws have worked against the modding community and made some things much harder than they needed to be.

I really think some of the "Ubisoft hate and blowback" phenomenon is overdue to manifest on Bethesda and rightfully so. They really enjoy a disproportionate amount of grace.

AC Unity isn't years ahead of its time.

If people respect at least the the min specs requirements and recommended specs it scales fine up and down the spectrum post patches and I have no qualms recommending it now post patches.

In the mix with everything else I can't help but notice that the multiple GPU folks really get screwed over the worst on a lot of these games when they first come out.

If a person is an AC fan they are going to be very pleased with this game. If they aren't AC fans then they won't care.

Last edited:
Don't get me start on Bethesda. Every game they released had some major bugs that would not let you finish the game - ubreakable stone in one of Morrowind's addons. Or the buggerfall, or their terminator games. Oh, and they did it in the gae, when internet acces was something very, very rare in my country, so you only could get patches once a month - when game magazines with floppies/CDs would be released, and they had all the patches. That was like month of waiting and being pissed that you can't complete that damn game :)

The only bug I encountered in AC:U was the one when suddenly NPC would drop undeground while walking. Other problem was game crashing just after first leap of faith from bastille with "AC:U encountered an error". It turned out, that somehow game download was corrupt and had to redownload about 200mb. Though, to tell the truth, I was playing after 3rd patch was released.

I never encountered a bug in bethesda game that made it impossible to win. However, I only played Oblivion and Skyrim, and only a little of Oblivion. What I played of the 3rd one wasn't even enough to count as playing.

That said, they really were as buggy as all hell.

Unity's problem seems to just be a performance issue. The kind that made it unplayable because of how bad everything loaded or didn't load.

They severely underestimated how bad of a port it actually was...the developer team probably told them (number pushers) but we all know how that goes...like mixing oil with water.

I would like to see data on how many people that experience issues that are doing one or more of the following:
- Overclocking
-Injecting settings via some sort of "injector-software"
-Playing a pirated version.

Exclude all those form the dataset, and then start looking at the rest.
I havetried far worse from game (games that made nice BSOD's)

I'm not sure I'd agree. There has been a lot of hate on Ubisoft, much more than I think is deserved. Even unpatched, Unity is hardly the most bug ridden game I've played this year, let alone all time (which belongs to Bethesda's Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall). Yet some games get passes and others don't. I said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again. They came out with the game a few years too early. The game is amazing graphically, probably in my top 3 of all time up to this point, yet it has steep requirements, far beyond what most users have, and it shows on the forums with all the people complaining how unplayable the game is when they don't meet minimum requirements (who, mysteriously are also the same people who thought Ubisoft was lying when they released the specs for the game). And, I'm still upset with the massive misuse of the term optimization that keeps popping up (even sadly in the video card review).

I have to shake my head when I see people with eg. a 770GTX 2GB card, complaing that the game runs bad at settings that should should be obvious to anyone is outside the reach of a midrange AIB.

Again, remember when Doom3 or Crysis came out?
Exact same thing, a lot of people seem to have a distorted view of the performance of their hardware.

Nytegard: You mentioned the big elephant in the room: Bethesda.

I'm amazed at how much forgiveness and slack they get.

Even on launch day: I have had FAR less problems with ANY Ubisoft game up right through now vs ANY of Bethesda's games.

Some of the issues many of us have had on Bethesda games never fully go away, either. Regardless of patches. Regardless of troubleshooting. Regardless of configurations. Regardless of (fill in the blank here.)

It's not even close.

Bethesda has earned some legitimate frustration and anger after x number of years of the following cycle:

We wait a relative eternity to get a new game from them...Fallout, Elder Scrolls, anything like that... and their games are buggy train wrecks for months when they launch and never get fully fixed.

It's a given that if you buy one of their games on day one you are paying premium dollars to be a glorified beta tester and a bunch of us keep doing it anyways. Note the self inclusion qualifier.

Their marketing is second to none: When one of their games is on the horizon it's a huge "gaming event" because we've waited so damned long for it and I'm not sure why that is, either.

A 60 second teaser video for Fallout 4 will have a huge thread with dozens of pages in no time flat when it hits. It's amazing.

Bethesda has made things more difficult instead of easier for the modding community on their games as well which is an additional insult. Skyrim's inherent, never to be fixed flaws have worked against the modding community and made some things much harder than they needed to be.

I really think some of the "Ubisoft hate and blowback" phenomenon is overdue to manifest on Bethesda and rightfully so. They really enjoy a disproportionate amount of grace.

AC Unity isn't years ahead of its time.

If people respect at least the the min specs requirements and recommended specs it scales fine up and down the spectrum post patches and I have no qualms recommending it now post patches.

In the mix with everything else I can't help but notice that the multiple GPU folks really get screwed over the worst on a lot of these games when they first come out.

If a person is an AC fan they are going to be very pleased with this game. If they aren't AC fans then they won't care.

Multi-GPU will only get more complicated in the future, if the vendors insists on using AFR only as the rendering paths get more and more dependant on frame cohesion.
AFR gives "pretty" numbers on graphs and sadly that seems all people care about these days.

I would like to see data on how many people that experience issues that are doing one or more of the following:
- Overclocking
-Injecting settings via some sort of "injector-software"
-Playing a pirated version.

Exclude all those form the dataset, and then start looking at the rest.
I havetried far worse from game (games that made nice BSOD's)

I have to shake my head when I see people with eg. a 770GTX 2GB card, complaing that the game runs bad at settings that should should be obvious to anyone is outside the reach of a midrange AIB.

Again, remember when Doom3 or Crysis came out?
Exact same thing, a lot of people seem to have a distorted view of the performance of their hardware.

Multi-GPU will only get more complicated in the future, if the vendors insists on using AFR only as the rendering paths get more and more dependant on frame cohesion.
AFR gives "pretty" numbers on graphs and sadly that seems all people care about these days.

This is really most likely the issue, at least on the nv/intel end of the spectrum. The Steam forums are full of people bitching about the game and when the specs of their PCs come out they are running 2GB cards such as a 660 or lower. Going by the Steam HW Survey I believe most users run iGPUs and less than 20% have gaming grade cards. It's no wonder they can't play games. And a big part of that is probably notebook GPUs which aren't even in the same class as their desktop versions. I remember trying to play Crysis on my Clevo laptop with a 8800M GTX, it did ok but man did it get hotter than hell.

The game definitely has its issues. But considering that it is probably the best looking game on the market right now there is no doubt it is going to take some hardware to push it graphically.

It can be frustrating to see people complain about modern games and performance when they are running Fermi or older hardware in some cases. It's time to upgrade.

This is really most likely the issue, at least on the nv/intel end of the spectrum. The Steam forums are full of people bitching about the game and when the specs of their PCs come out they are running 2GB cards such as a 660 or lower. Going by the Steam HW Survey I believe most users run iGPUs and less than 20% have gaming grade cards. It's no wonder they can't play games. And a big part of that is probably notebook GPUs which aren't even in the same class as their desktop versions. I remember trying to play Crysis on my Clevo laptop with a 8800M GTX, it did ok but man did it get hotter than hell.

The game definitely has its issues. But considering that it is probably the best looking game on the market right now there is no doubt it is going to take some hardware to push it graphically.

It can be frustrating to see people complain about modern games and performance when they are running Fermi or older hardware in some cases. It's time to upgrade.

Or turn down settings, in tune with reality.

Is anyone else experiencing what I would best describe as 'hollow' or 'flat' audio? It's mostly with respect to things going on around you - they sound as though they are far away, and missing all mid/bass. Anything occurring in front of my character seem fine, but the audio just sounds odd elsewhere. I think the best example is when criminals are harassing a civilian, and one of them fires a gun.

Last edited:
Is anyone else experiencing what I would best describe as 'hollow' or 'flat' audio? It's mostly with respect to things going on around you - they sound as though they are far away, and missing all mid/bass. Anything occurring in front of my character seem fine, but the audio just sounds odd elsewhere. I think the best example is when criminals are harassing a civilian, and one of them fires a gun.
It's not just you. I find sound design in most recent releases to be severely lacking. It seems as if sound is an afterthought in games these days.

I'm still waiting on that tessellation patch...have the game lined up in my Uplay Library but won't download it until the tessellation patch hits (or Ubisoft officially announces that they won't be releasing it)

I'm still waiting on that tessellation patch...have the game lined up in my Uplay Library but won't download it until the tessellation patch hits (or Ubisoft officially announces that they won't be releasing it)

I'd have to imagine additional tessellation would destroy the performance once and for all. :(

I'd have to imagine additional tessellation would destroy the performance once and for all. :(

they can release it as an optional download for people with high end cards...same way Crysis 2 released the HD Texture Pack and DX11 upgrades...other games like Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs have also released optional upgrades

With so many other good games out right now, I'm just going to sit on this one until the mid-year doldrums hit. Hopefully by then they'll finally add tessellation and some additional performance-increases might be implemented.
Life it too short to play unfinished games...and luckily I got this one for free via that Nvidia 9x promo.

Ubisoft is beyond milking the series
I wish they would do something about the slow and sluggish movement, the delayed action from pressing a button and your character doing something

Just finished my first playing session of the game EVER. It is fully patched and all files validated. On my rig in sig I was getting good performance from the game. At 3240x1920 I was getting about 56 fps most of the time Some drops to about 42 or 45 etc.. but not very noticable. 120fps in most cut scenes, strangely about 2 cutscenes dropped to about 32 fps and that seems to lag but I didn't experience this in game.

I have to say I was expecting to stop playing about 20 minutes into trying it once I found a major glitch that annoyed me. The assassins creed games are very important to me and I'd rather not ruin my experience if I can wait a little longer for a patch to iron things out. I think I'm going to continue since I find the game playable fps wise. There is some annoying delays when you press something for Arno to react as noted all throughout this thread

Settings: All Ultra HBAO Game maxed but I used FXAA instead of any MSAA. I also didn't experience many of the FPS glitches people have shown when you rotate the camera or do some parkour.

I got all the way to the point where I unlock Paris after Leaving Prison. That's all I'll say to avoid spoiling anything.

It's not just you. I find sound design in most recent releases to be severely lacking. It seems as if sound is an afterthought in games these days.

It's more than that to me... feels broken. From a quick Google I can find a few others experiencing the same issue, but no solution.

Just finished my first playing session of the game EVER. It is fully patched and all files validated. On my rig in sig I was getting good performance from the game. At 3240x1920 I was getting about 56 fps most of the time Some drops to about 42 or 45 etc.. but not very noticable. 120fps in most cut scenes, strangely about 2 cutscenes dropped to about 32 fps and that seems to lag but I didn't experience this in game.

I have to say I was expecting to stop playing about 20 minutes into trying it once I found a major glitch that annoyed me. The assassins creed games are very important to me and I'd rather not ruin my experience if I can wait a little longer for a patch to iron things out. I think I'm going to continue since I find the game playable fps wise. There is some annoying delays when you press something for Arno to react as noted all throughout this thread

Settings: All Ultra HBAO Game maxed but I used FXAA instead of any MSAA. I also didn't experience many of the FPS glitches people have shown when you rotate the camera or do some parkour.

I got all the way to the point where I unlock Paris after Leaving Prison. That's all I'll say to avoid spoiling anything.

Yeah the game pretty much runs flawlessly on intel/nv maxwell with the newest drivers. I am close to finishing it and for me it is the second best game in the series (behind AC2). I would have Black Flag in that spot but the amount of fucking 'tail/follow/eavesdrop' missions in the game is awful.

So we can expect no more patches to the main game for performances fixes?

I feel sorry for Red team players...

Back