Asassin's Creed 5: Unity

I'll have to check this out, I recall this game looked great visually but the controls and mechanics were clunky.

I'll have to check this out, I recall this game looked great visually but the controls and mechanics were clunky.

Some of that along with potential performance issues were patched long ago, so a modern system should have a great experience with it. Overall mechanically I'd say it has the best crowd density and an enhanced parkour style movement system, so I didn't find it cumbersome. However, those who are used to some previous (or later coming) AC titles where there is "one button for free running" it will take a little adjustment - I seem to recall this one had "Freerun, jump, climb, generally moving up" and a "Freerun, slide, vault, generally going low" button. If you didn't play previous AC titles with a keyboard and already prefer it, I'd suggest a controller if you have one - I've played all AC titles with controllers and it feels right - similar to many 3rd parson titles of the sort.

It's a little different. If you're used to Origins/Odyssey in particular it will feel a little clunky, but IMO Unity is AC at it's finest.

While I enjoy the new gameplay style of Origins/Odyssey, when you play unity it makes you appreciate the older style.

I also really liked the combat system that only Unity had.

Finally, I really can't wait for a re-master of this game. I'd love to at least see HDR patched in, as it's still already an incredible looking game. The quality of the shadows/lightning when you are looking down the city streets, along with the crowd density, and other objects rolling around is outstanding. It looks like a city. No other AC game, even the latest ones, have come close to this.

Out of curiosity what is it about the combat you enjoy? As I recall it was somewhat similar to the AC3/Liberation/AC4/Rogue style, right? I remember it being a little more tactical/difficult, but with Syndicate (its successor) having a very similar, style.

Syndicate I hated. Syndicate felt like the Batman games of just hit the button. Unity feels like the original game in some ways, but with more complexity. The animations in unity are outstanding as well.

I really just hate Syndicate all around. It’s the worst AC game for me. Was a downgrade in graphics, I didn’t like the combat, and story was forgettable.

You can tell that Unity had a lot of development time thrown at it, and syndicate felt rushed. Unfortunately, the series has generally followed what seems like the Syndicate branch of development, and not the Unity branch.

Syndicate I hated. Syndicate felt like the Batman games of just hit the button. Unity feels like the original game in some ways, but with more complexity. The animations in unity are outstanding as well.

I really just hate Syndicate all around. It’s the worst AC game for me. Was a downgrade in graphics, I didn’t like the combat, and story was forgettable.

You can tell that Unity had a lot of development time thrown at it, and syndicate felt rushed. Unfortunately, the series has generally followed what seems like the Syndicate branch of development, and not the Unity branch.

Syndicate wasn't that bad. The main missions themselves were actually excellent and structured more like the recent Hitman games which I liked. London seemed very well done much like Paris. Graphics looked better to me and did knock performance down by a good bit. Both had weak stories, although the same few side quests over and over was even worse in Syndicate. At least in Unity most were optional and some even had some decent bits of history mixed in.

Post bugs, both Unity & Syndicate were better than Origins. Which is a shame because Origins has an excellent setting which was a lot of fun, but the crappy grinding, combat downgrade, leveling and other issues hurt the game too much.

Yeah. Origins is way grindy. I am playing unity now and enjoying it. I don't think I ever finished it. The sound and environment are wonderful.

Back