Apple's Schiller Blasts Android

Apple needs to wake up and smell the coffee. They'll continue losing mobile market share as long as they have discrete control over iOS and only allow it installed on their specific product lines. Android saturation will grow since Google doesn't dictate that it be installed on a limited product line.

If you don't think that samsung (and even google) will move to lock down their devices to secure the revenue stream then you are naive.

These companies are all the same, Apple just made the move from the start.

Also, I don't think Apple is trying to dominate market share. Though hold a very comfortable chunk and make insane margins on their products.

They were at one point and for a long time. I guess you are unaware that Apple has had to cut back drastically on manufacturing as well as making a mad scramble to turn things around, come up with new gimmicks after their stock has fallen to historic lows.
Current stock price: $433.63
Historical low: $1.375

You don't know how this investing thing works do you?

It's like Android is an OS that's designed to run on all kinds of devices or something.

Current stock price: $433.63
Historical low: $1.375

You don't know how this investing thing works do you?

From a high of $705 to the current $432 inside of a year is not a good investment. If you rode the Apple train at the high point then you can count yourself smart and lucky. If you invest now with so much uncertainty in Apple's future then you taking a gamble the likes of which hasn't been so possibly dangerous since Apple's pre iPhone era.

Not to mention Apple's stock is pretty overvalued and the huge drop could be simply reflecting that.

With Jobs no longer around to do the only thing he was good at (hyping) and Tim Cook about as exciting as a Tax Audit , Apple will have to release something as successful as the iPhone in 2007 to keep its market share in the triple digits and a dumb ass watch isn't going to do that.

Yeah, it mostly works, because it barely does anything.
Just be glad yours actually works. My girlfriend's battery is shot, I have one with a broken volume rocker, and my dad's silent switch on his few month old device is shot. The kids I work with all have iPhones and I'd say a good 80% of theirs are broken too, mostly silent switches and home buttons not functioning. I get a good laugh every time a rabid iPhone user screams about the superior build quality of these things.

iPhone? What's that?

People are constantly asking me, what phone I have. Is that the Note II?
Haven't heard of anyone eager to buy an iPhone since November.

I haven't noticed it until you pointed it out but you're right. I've been on Android since the Nexus s and people used to ask me all time time if I had an iphone. Now that I'm on a Galaxy Nexus I get asked if I have an S3.

Apple is worried, this demonstrates it. He claims that more people switch from android to ios than from ios to android, but the vast majority of my friends have switched from ios to android. Sure, they stuck with apple for a long time, but in the end they got fed up with it and switched to android. The only people that I know who have stuck with apple have done so because they don't want to lose the apps they have bought or are completely devoted to owning apple everything.

You're kidding right? I guess you don't get out in public much. Line at the grocery store, movies, doctors office, just the general happenings of running errands. People love their phones for the latest news, movie times or to see who just messaged them and when they get a moment they pull their phones out. Don't act like you don't know when people are staring at your GF's huge tits, which my GF happens to have or if I'm checking out texts on my phone. Android devices in general create more excitement than the same ol' same iPhone who's appearance almost never changes.

I personally like windows phone

I love my windows phone. The integration of Office with my laptop and OneNote is so fluid. Considering how much I use office, it makes sense for me because I can take notes on my laptop and reread them on my phone as soon as I hit save. For others the, the iOS-like nature (WP is locked down) is a turn off.

...Pointing to Apple's stock price as evidence of the "market" being bored with their product makes you look ignorant. Apple was WAY overvalued, they couldn't stay that high forever.

That's the first correct thing I've seen out here so far. OVERVALUED!!!

Just be glad yours actually works. My girlfriend's battery is shot, I have one with a broken volume rocker, and my dad's silent switch on his few month old device is shot. The kids I work with all have iPhones and I'd say a good 80% of theirs are broken too, mostly silent switches and home buttons not functioning. I get a good laugh every time a rabid iPhone user screams about the superior build quality of these things.

You're supposed to remove them from the pants before tossing them into the Washer/Dryer.

This is a silly argument. Flagship smartphones have largely been converging over time in terms of price and features. I've switched back and forth between droid and iPhone several times and EVERY SINGLE TIME it was due to personal preference or carrier issues.

The iPhone 5 is a great phone, so is the Galaxy S3. Sure Apple is more restrictive, however there are some positives to this--absolutely no preloaded bloatware, no horrible carrier skins and a unified user experience. Android may be fragmented, but the speed of updates (for those phones that get them) and introduction of new features is pretty impressive.

Unless you are some sperg that spends all of your time exploring the niche features of your phone, there really is no difference besides personal preference and carrier performance.

Can any of you Android guys provide a real world reason to go Android, ie, something specific that "takes longer" or something the iphone can't do? Public attention doesn't matter because, well, I'm not 12.

1.Android is an open platform. Google does not use unethical tactics to restrict what you can and cannot install on your own phone or tablet.

A.Google does not require that applications come from their app store.
B.Google does not act like the Catholic Church when it comes to censorship policies :
i.Emulators are allowed
ii.Applications that are critical of the US government are allowed
iii.Applications talking about sex are allowed. (e.g. Kama sutra)
iv.Applications containing bad words are allowed
v.Google does not censor magazine covers because they contain someone in a bikini.

2.Google tolerates diversity. Applications are allowed to replace or override basic operating system functionality because Google isn't run by egocentric manics that believe that their way is the One True Way (TM).

A.Custom keyboards.
B.The ability to change what applications open what files.
C.The ability to have actual custom web browsers.
D.The ability to have applications that compete with Google's applications.
E.The ability to have applications that overlay other applications (e.g. instant messaging apps with pop-up windows so you don't need to switch out of your current app to message).
F.The ability to have custom launchers.

3.Android does not restrict details from the user.
A.It is possible to view the file system.
i.This allows any application to easily share data with any other application since applications don't need to be written to specifically talk with each other.
B.It is possible to obtain and modify source code for Android for advanced customization.
C.It is possible to access a terminal interface.

Install apps not controlled by Apple would be a big reason. Play / view / use anything not controlled by Apple would be another. Use your phone the way you want? The list is a mile long.

For me, this is both a positive and a negative. Positive in that you control what is going on these phones. This leads to a higher quality app store, more security (not foolproof, but much better). On the downside - I like to control what I put on my phone, not have someone else do it. I haven't put a bad app on my phone yet, but I do realize that it is vulnerable to bad ones.

I use an iPhone 4S for work. I like it. It's good for basic things. I have a Windows Phone 8 for personal. Another closed system. It's great for a lot of things. My wife has an Android (I used to be strictly Android, myself). She can do a lot with her phone. Having access to Google Play, Amazon Market, and others is great. Multiple outlets to download and install apps. Not as good of quality control or security control, but still worth the risk.

You just have to weigh the options. What do you want from a phone? Do you want a basic phone/email/web device? iPhone does that great (use Chrome, though!). You want more? Android is the way to go.

1.Android is an open platform. Google does not use unethical tactics to restrict (although they have still been shown to use unethical tactics with other areas) what you can and cannot install on your own phone or tablet.

A.Google does not require that applications come from their app store.
B.Google does not act like the Catholic Church when it comes to censorship policies :
i.Emulators are allowed
ii.Applications that are critical of the US government are allowed
iii.Applications talking about sex are allowed. (e.g. Kama sutra)
iv.Applications containing bad words are allowed
v.Google does not censor magazine covers because they contain someone in a bikini.

2.Google tolerates diversity. Applications are allowed to replace or override basic operating system functionality because Google isn't run by egocentric manics that believe that their way is the One True Way (TM).

A.Custom keyboards.
B.The ability to change what applications open what files.
C.The ability to have actual custom web browsers.
D.The ability to have applications that compete with Google's applications.
E.The ability to have applications that overlay other applications (e.g. instant messaging apps with pop-up windows so you don't need to switch out of your current app to message).
F.The ability to have custom launchers.

3.Android does not restrict details from the user.
A.It is possible to view the file system.
i.This allows any application to easily share data with any other application since applications don't need to be written to specifically talk with each other.
B.It is possible to obtain and modify source code for Android for advanced customization.
C.It is possible to access a terminal interface.

The items in red are about all I would care about.

I don't know, I've always thought of the iPhone as hideous. And the only people I've had dropped calls from where using iPhones at the time.

Coincidence?! I think not.

They where justb holding it wrong :)

For me, this is both a positive and a negative. Positive in that you control what is going on these phones. This leads to a higher quality app store, more security (not foolproof, but much better). On the downside - I like to control what I put on my phone, not have someone else do it. I haven't put a bad app on my phone yet, but I do realize that it is vulnerable to bad ones.

I use an iPhone 4S for work. I like it. It's good for basic things. I have a Windows Phone 8 for personal. Another closed system. It's great for a lot of things. My wife has an Android (I used to be strictly Android, myself). She can do a lot with her phone. Having access to Google Play, Amazon Market, and others is great. Multiple outlets to download and install apps. Not as good of quality control or security control, but still worth the risk.

You just have to weigh the options. What do you want from a phone? Do you want a basic phone/email/web device? iPhone does that great (use Chrome, though!). You want more? Android is the way to go.

Apple doesn't restrict applications because they're of poor quality. They restrict them because they duplicate functions of their flagship applications or the application might somehow in the future allow some user see a boob. Malware or terribly made software still make it onto iTunes all the time. However, if you try and make a custom web browser, you're likely to be rejected.

I went from an iPhone to an Android device, and I will not go back...what the heck is he talking about signing up 9 accounts?

I just activated my Gmail account and that was it, and that was easier than the iPhone, don't need proprietary software, don't need a proprietary cable.

This is the point where Apple turns back into a Microsoft clone.

On the defensive and too much talking about their competitors.

Curious, what task is the iphone not capable of doing?

Humm being secure from jailbreaks... I'm not sure it has been 6 months since I touched my iPod my gs3 does everything I used my iPod for better than my 4th gen iPod did.

It is things like this that keep me from getting apple products. Yes they can get virus despite what people think apple is not immune. The reason why there is less report of it is fewer are made for apple products due to 80 market share being windows based vs 11% osx market.

Now phone os iOS is dictated everything about iOS is locked down app store apple approved only hardware apple software apple makes for a very secure phone that can only do what apple wants you to do.

Android is freedom you can do with it what you want at the cost of little bit of security.

I do like the iPhone but apple I hate and will never buy another product from them.

Hes just jealous Android is cutting in on potential iPhone sales... Samsung along is hurting iPhone sales tremendously... add in all the others, and you know why hes mad

"When you take an Android device out of the box, you have to sign up to nine accounts with different vendors to get the experience iOS comes with," he said. "They don't work seamlessly together."

So Facebook, Twitter, Exchange, and Gmail on an iPhone all automagically log in to your accounts even though they don't have your account credentials?

Whoa.

:rolleyes:

Sour grapes, you have.

Like others I'm not an Apple lover but in my own household there is iPhone 5 (business reasons) and three android phones with one on 2.3 the second on 4.0 and the other 4.1.1

Talk about a reality distortion field...apparently it's a virus and continues to infect Apple employees.

I went from an iPhone to an Android device, and I will not go back...what the heck is he talking about signing up 9 accounts?

Its iPhear. You know how scared they are by how loudly they protest theyre not. You didnt really hear Apple execs coming forth with these kinds of statements in the pasr save for Jobs' grumblings, so it gives some insight that Apple is struggling with doing more than coasting on their 2007 era innovations.

Curious, what task is the iphone not capable of doing?

Swyping, controlling most apps with voice, controlling settings inside an app, changing the battery, calibrating the touch screen, viewing running processes and battery consumption without paying more money, managing music without an app or a proprietary hunk of bullshit on my computer, using standard USB cables, being able to hold without dropping without buying an accessory...should I go on?

Swyping, controlling most apps with voice, controlling settings inside an app, changing the battery, calibrating the touch screen, viewing running processes and battery consumption without paying more money, managing music without an app or a proprietary hunk of bullshit on my computer, using standard USB cables, being able to hold without dropping without buying an accessory...should I go on?

Some of those I can do currently. Some are meh. Some are nice.

I also have had so few dropped calls on my 4s I don't even think of it as any sort of issue. People sure do like to play off of the media though.

Swyping (ive used this one, I didn't care for it)
controlling most apps with voice (this would be nice)
controlling settings inside an app (So would this)
changing the battery (and this)
calibrating the touch screen (ya, this means 0 to me)
viewing running processes and battery consumption without paying more money ( i can do this currently)
managing music without an app or a proprietary hunk of bullshit on my computer (although itunes is a pain, it isn't terrible)
using standard USB cables (I don't see why this matters. $5 monoprice cables ftw!)
being able to hold without dropping without buying an accessory...should I go on? (Never been an issue)

Swyping (ive used this one, I didn't care for it)
controlling most apps with voice (this would be nice)
controlling settings inside an app (So would this)
changing the battery (and this)
calibrating the touch screen (ya, this means 0 to me)
viewing running processes and battery consumption without paying more money ( i can do this currently)
managing music without an app or a proprietary hunk of bullshit on my computer (although itunes is a pain, it isn't terrible)
using standard USB cables (I don't see why this matters. $5 monoprice cables ftw!)
being able to hold without dropping without buying an accessory...should I go on? (Never been an issue)

The question wasn't "what tasks can the iPhone not do that I will care about personally or don't mind dealing with the cumbersome way Apple makes me perform them.

I had an iPod Touch 4 and an Evo 4G as my first iOS and Android devices, respectively. When playing music there was zero comparison for quality OR time (couple hours the EVO was dead, the iPod kept going for something like 20-40 hours...

Since then I got an iPad 2 (when it was new) and sold it for an Asus TF101 thinking it would work better with my EVO and soI could dump iTunes... couple months later, I dumped ot for an iPad3 and am still using it.

I recently got an iPhone5 and (short term) a SGN2.I got rid of the note and kept the iPhone. (though arguably, they were more-or-less on even ground except (1) I had $100 of appstore credit and (2) I had my iPad and AppleTV

Ecosystem is a big thing for apple, I can stream video from my PC to my iPad/iPhone or my AppleTV and audio to my Stereo (bypassing the HDMI-out on the Apple TV) I can also remote-control my PC's music playback with my iDevice. While, yes, android can do all these things too, they're less integrated and tend not to work quite as well... and the battery life tends to fall short of iDevices.

However, on that note, I HATED stock iOS. If the JB hadn't come out I would have gone with Android. If JB ever dies, I am going with Android.

The question wasn't "what tasks can the iPhone not do that I will care about personally or don't mind dealing with the cumbersome way Apple makes me perform them.
^

There is a ton really. Flash =0p Or just easy access to reading a plethora of file formats the iPhone ssucks with. The question is not IF the iOs and the iPhone are inferior to équivalent Android phones, but "in which douzens of way". We clearly see you love your iPhone oshia. That's fine. I know mine is gone and I don't miss it. If only I had known earlier...

I had an iPod Touch 4 and an Evo 4G as my first iOS and Android devices, respectively. When playing music there was zero comparison for quality OR time (couple hours the EVO was dead, the iPod kept going for something like 20-40 hours...

Since then I got an iPad 2 (when it was new) and sold it for an Asus TF101 thinking it would work better with my EVO and soI could dump iTunes... couple months later, I dumped ot for an iPad3 and am still using it.

I recently got an iPhone5 and (short term) a SGN2.I got rid of the note and kept the iPhone. (though arguably, they were more-or-less on even ground except (1) I had $100 of appstore credit and (2) I had my iPad and AppleTV

Ecosystem is a big thing for apple, I can stream video from my PC to my iPad/iPhone or my AppleTV and audio to my Stereo (bypassing the HDMI-out on the Apple TV) I can also remote-control my PC's music playback with my iDevice. While, yes, android can do all these things too, they're less integrated and tend not to work quite as well... and the battery life tends to fall short of iDevices.

However, on that note, I HATED stock iOS. If the JB hadn't come out I would have gone with Android. If JB ever dies, I am going with Android.

Battery life can vary wildly between Android phones. Depending on how I use my HTC One S, I can get between 14 hours to 2 days of use out of it.

Maybe 8 hours as a WiFi hotspot at the worst.

It's funny that the douchebag rages like this on the run up to the SGS4.

Thats pretty much all it is...rage jealousy and Apple trying to make some noise to keep it's presence known against it's biggest threat. I bet the 440 ppi on a 5 inch screen is eating their soul.

I know alot of the new stuff seems very gimmicky but hey it's still innovation instead of just a hardware rehash. I can actually see myself using the tilt-to-scroll while I'm on the bus or train reading something during my commute while still being able to hold onto a rail so I don't fall over.

Still curious to hear about battery life though as we all know the S2 and S3 were terrible for even average usage. But definitely excited to get this in May for my upgrade.

Too many troll posts.

This is not even news.

You mean to tell me another company trashed a competitor? no wai....

Also, I am actually a Windows Phone fan. Still going strong with my HTC Radar. Will upgrade here soon to a WP8 device.

Wish it would gain more traction in the market.

It doesn't really matter what the original question was.

^

There is a ton really. Flash =0p Or just easy access to reading a plethora of file formats the iPhone ssucks with. The question is not IF the iOs and the iPhone are inferior to équivalent Android phones, but "in which douzens of way". We clearly see you love your iPhone oshia. That's fine. I know mine is gone and I don't miss it. If only I had known earlier...

Funny, I thought I was being pretty unbiased. Love it? Not really. I wouldn't say I was loving it so much as I was just not hating it. Does me posting on a forum basically asking someone to convince me to get away from the Apple ecosystem give you the impression that I love it? I believe I did note a few things I didn't like about ios/iphone and a few things Android does that I wish the iPhone did. I mean, that's pretty obvious, right?

I could really go for a removable battery and sd card....sigh

The thing is, I'm used to ios and iphone, I've had it for years. That's probably the main that's kept me with them, along with the investment in the ios "ecosystem". I do also have a 3rd gen ipad.

Back