Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. This is way too much effort for something that a "5th grader" could tell the difference between. What you say makes no sense; there is no evidence of intent; the use of "counterfeit" is wrong; there is still no logic here ...perhaps way too much caffeine.

The packaging is one thing, but going to the effort to put a mock up HSF, manual, & CPU in a box that is never opened except by the end user ... is silly.

Sorry, I dissagree.
Someone made a profit, someone passed off a kock-off.
If it were a mock-up or demo box, it would say "demo" and not go to the extent of making everything inside look like in might be from Intel. Im also quite sure if it were a "demo" it was not authourized by Intel. Someone passed it off either way, as a real item.
It was sold to a customer who was defrauded. There was not just one instance of it either.
So it begs to ask, are they buying from Newegg or Lighthouse for the Blind? As someone at some point packed them individually and repeatedly.
I dont think any of the buyers looked at the package before opening it and said instantly "aaahhh fuck its a demo!" So I also dont buy the "5th grader could tell the difference."

If I were Intel, I would investigate and get lawyers involved. I would have someones ass broke and in jail. I don't think they will be as namby pamby with the issue in the next week.

Demo my ass.

Demos are clearly printed as such on the package: as in "demonstration, not for sale or resale".

Intel has more professional credibility than that, and the spelling would have been correct or very likely a demo would not have any origin labels or ID labels on the outside of the box, period.

This was an effort to steal from someone, whether it was from the distributor's or from newegg employees swapping out real for fake.

I'd watch eBay for sudden lots of Corei7-920s for cheap.:eek:

1. I have worked shipping jobs b4, unlike most of you, when you got hundreds/thousands of products being boxed every day, you DO NOT READ THE BOXES, hell newegg has shipped me wrong items before because they where put on the shelf that the item i ordered was sposta be on, never gave me any problems, infact they let me keep the wrong videocard AND sent me the one i paid for(hey the wrong card was a $65 card, nice gift for their mistake)

2. There are demo boxes that are used in alot of retail stores, Now they tend to be better spellchecked then these BUT there are REAL demo boxes, same as with cell phones.
they do this because they will put a bunch of demo boxes on the shelf at a place like frys or compusa, and when you go up to check out, they get the real on off the shelf and send the demo box back, it keeps people from jacking real products off the shelf, also kinda funny to watch somebody get nabbed as they try and get out of the store with a demo box!!!!

I have worked retail, and demo boxing of the type im talking about is VERY common, hell most places do it with expensive software as well(like windows or office), just another way to product yourself(the company) from being ripped off for high ticket items.

3. having worked both types of jobs and delt with them, I can tell you these boxes likely wouldn't stick out from the originals to a shipping worker if he worker wasnt told to keep an eye out for fakes and shown how to spot them, and even then, when your packing hundreds to thousands of boxes a day with multi items, you start to just "zone out" and not pay close attn to boxes, as long as it looks like your grabbing what goes in the box, you just dont give a shit(most of the time your working minimum or low wage so giving a shit isnt in your contract..if you get my meaning)

Yes,

Having worked at a few different retail stores when I was younger, they had Demo boxes out on shelves so the customer could get a view of what they are going to purchase(not of processors but of video cards and they were empty). If you really sit down and think about this, and these are the ONLY 300 to show up period, then I can buy the demo box theory more and more... why?? Because many posts earlier pointed to the fact that to go through producing the box (misprinted or not), the fake processor and look like insert video card, is not a small operation and there would have to be 10's of thousands for these people to turn a profit. Its all in the logic. Plus the One picture provided by Nix or someone else showed Socket actually being spelled correctly on the front of the box. It was the picture that had 1600x1200 in gray right below it maybe on page 5 or so. It had the whole list of features that looked geniune. The spelling on the back, I have repeatedly heard about, but no one has provided a clear picture of those spelling mistakes yet.... I heard sochet, but haven't seen it.

Anyone actually attempt to contant Intel and see what they had to say?? When I read this they were already closed for the weekend, but that what I will do monday.

Kyle, your headline does seem to make it sound like this was something done on purpose by Newegg. I asked my parents to read it and give me their thoughts and they said it sounded like Newegg willingly did this, just from your head line. When I explained the facts, they suggested a slightly different headline such as Newegg Ships out Fake Processors that it received from its suppliers. Current indications is that they are being proactive in replacing all processors.

And before you go calling BullShit on those being Demo Boxes... do what I recommend Paul Johnson did with his Enersol Cap knock... check it out... call intel... find out do they make demo boxes, and if they do, why and where and how and could a mix up be possible. It could be that you are right and it was BS by newegg, but they are handling it very well, or you could be wrong, they could be demo boxes, and HardOCP comes out looking like an ass because of the recent past history of NewEgg and HardOCP.

Now about those that are suddenly worried about Newegg shipping you an open box item as new, it really shows that you don't really pay attention too well do you when you shop new egg. They may have done that more than 5 years ago, but you will find many "OPEN BOX" items on their site that they state are returns and are open box items. In many states by law you have to state whether the item is new, refurbished , or an Open Box....

So those of you that this little deal will never have you shop there again really need to grow up.... its how they handled it... they acknowledged the problem, they pro-actively sent out e-mails and are overnighting replacements. Their claim of Demo Boxes may have been made up by them OR PASSED ALONG BY THE SUPPLIER so again there is a lot that we don't know, but what is getting me is that Kyle who claims that he is just reporting the facts, and is doing so, can also report the facts and add a slant to it to make it sound worse than it is.... and that Kyle is called Spin, and the Spin from a few ignorant parents agree that the spin you gave this story basically implicated NewEgg as attempting fraud from the start.

You maybe the King Tut of HardOCP, the bad ass, the bad boy, the owner, editor and whatever, but that does not make you immune to bias, the sound of bias and sometimes in your responses above coming across like an asshole that most of us know you are not.

Last edited:
I'm heading over to a microcenter where a friend works.

I'm sure he'll let me take some snapshots of their Intel Core I7 920 demo boxes if he has them.

It'll be interesting to see if they're the same, but I think they're just empty boxes.

If anyone wants to sell one of thier Nigerian Core, Corei7-920s please post them in the FSFT. Maybe they can get a couple bucks back for one. LOL!
As for newegg, I don't think a next day shipment of the real item would shut me up on this. I would still want action for someone counterfiting.
You can go to jail for counterfiting a damn dollar bill, so why not for big dollar items?

No. The headline is misleading and smacks of amateur hour journalism.

How is it misleading? Placed an order for a retail I7 920 CPU. The cpu I received ins't real, some might even call it fake.

No. The headline is misleading and smacks of amateur hour journalism.

The headline is a thread in a discussion forum, nobody here claimed to be a journalist, and as far as I can tell, Kyle only edited the op for spelling.

Methinks your criticism wreaks of amateur hour understanding, but that could just be me.
If anything, this should just keep people's heads aware that sometimes...you don't always get what you paid for, and to inspect it well before opening.

Also, a company I once worked for, used to make shipping "dummies" every time they changed packaging or product. Instead of paying for specially printed "Dummy" or demo boxes....we used the stock retail ones and were told to permanently mark them. Invariably, some new hire would not do this, and ship off one of these to a really pissed client. I was privy to the screaming end of that phone call....so I know this is also a possibility.

** I now realize he meant the front page headline, not the forum....and still, it's on the edge of alarmism, but not over it.

Last edited:
Ah, so now you do a fox news comparison as a shock jock headline callout because you don't like the word choice. Picky.

No, it's a perfectly exemplifies what a shock jock headline is like. It leads to people drawing false conclusions and spreading their ignorance. Not everyone reads the content of an news story.

[H] articles in general aren't very eloquent, but I'm appalled to see a headline sink this low. At least Hardware Canucks elaborated in emboldened fashion and clearly emphasized THEIR reporting of the facts.

This incident will have significant impact on every supplier. Everything in stock will be suspect until it can be verified that it is genuine. Just imagine the expense involved.

Kyle's headline has gotten referenced 3 times on at least 2 other forums. "Fake" implies actual CPU packages with nothing inside so that the end user would just think they had a bad CPU or m/b. I don't know about shock jock, but definitely "Daily Show" material without the qualifier "Fake News".

Your thoughts are noted, I am sticking by what is already published. Sorry if you don't like it.

Some of you people amaze me. I drop by the H pretty much every day to see what's shaking. Today I drop by and at the very top I see, "Newegg Selling Fake Intel CPUs". I then read the article. I see no sensationalism here, no bad journalism. What I see is Kyle reporting the facts in his typical no punches held fashion.

I see, I read, I learn, and hey it all makes sense. Pull your collective heads out of your posteriors! I for one appreciate that Kyle tells it like it is. In fact that is the biggest reason I drop by the H so often.

Happy Computing

Some of you people amaze me. I drop by the H pretty much every day to see what's shaking. Today I drop by and at the very top I see, "Newegg Selling Fake Intel CPUs". I then read the article. I see no sensationalism here, no bad journalism. What I see is Kyle reporting the facts in his typical no punches held fashion.

I see, I read, I learn, and hey it all makes sense. Pull your collective heads out of your posteriors! I for one appreciate that Kyle tells it like it is. In fact that is the biggest reason I drop by the H so often.

Happy Computing

I guess they wanted to see something like...

Newegg allegedly selling allegedly fake allegedly Intel CPUs. Allegedly. NERT!

The used headline is right to the point and factual. Up to the reader not be a dumbass, tl:dr everything and think they have the whole story based on a byline.

i quit dealing with newegg almost 2 years ago. They sent me a used bad mobo. then for my son they sent a 750mb west dig. hdd with 5000 hours on it. had to report them to the BBB to get my money back on the hard drive. Screwing the public, then pleading we did not know, reminds me of congress, not an ethical etailer lol. ed

Plus the One picture provided by Nix or someone else showed Socket actually being spelled correctly on the front of the box. It was the picture that had 1600x1200 in gray right below it maybe on page 5 or so. It had the whole list of features that looked geniune. The spelling on the back, I have repeatedly heard about, but no one has provided a clear picture of those spelling mistakes yet.... I heard sochet, but haven't seen it.

Clear picture of the spelling mistakes:

2eukcis.jpg

so i guess its still pretty much 1 guy on this forum who was shipped a demo/fake/counterfeit cpu. newegg doesnt advertise here anymore, do they?

OK all you Pulitzer's...what words would you use instead of "Newegg sells fake CPU's".

"Newegg" - Proper of name of subject in question
"sells" - v. to transfer (goods) to or render (services) for another in exchange for money. In this specific case at the very least to Nix, who did exchange currency for said item question
"fake" - n. anything made to appear otherwise than it actually is; counterfeit. These were meant to look like Intel CPU's, and they weren't.
"CPU's" - these weren't shoes.

What false conclusion could I draw from the headline? Seems pretty accurate to me.

Now if your argument centers on intent, then stop now. No one even remotely claims (yet), that this is a newegg operation, and the blame is falling now on one of their distributors. Regardless, Newegg is the point of contact to the end purchaser, they are the ones that choose their distributors, and they are ultimately responsible for the product that enters and leave their doors.

so i guess its still pretty much 1 guy on this forum who was shipped a demo/fake/counterfeit cpu. newegg doesnt advertise here anymore, do they?

Yes, one guy here, others confirmed. 300 confirmed received into Newegg inventory.

Newegg does not advertise here directly, but it does through other advertisers that direct link its items in its store.

To that point, I'll agree with your underlying tone. I'm not sure the article would exist or certainly would have been toned differently if Newegg was still a direct advertiser here.

And unless you've just skipped straight from title to your post, Newegg has stated that there were 300 CPU's, and there have been numerous different forums posts from different people discovering the same issue as Nix.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that fan is better than the real stock one. :)

You got that right!:D

And I'm glad this made the front page or I might've missed it. I'm sure this upsets more than just Newegg and nix as Intel will want blood for this too.

AzureSky
You don't get the point.
1. They are not "demo boxes" they are "Knock-Offs" intended to SCAM someone.
2. Someone PROFITED from this with complete INTENT to scam.
3. Trust is BLOWN on the entire operation.
4. Someone can and should go to PRISON.

No one is blaming the shipping worker or dock worker.
Newegg is dealing with shady dealers and is thus in a shady trade practice.

Uhh, this isn't some overseas mom-and-pop outfit that Newegg got these bogus CPUs from...D&H Distributing is a very large wholesaler/distributor, like Ingram Micro, and has been around a long time (80+ years). They, like Ingram Micro, buy stuff from manufacturers in much greater volume then even stores like Newegg would buy on their own and get much better pricing, which gets passed down to us.

That said, somehow D&H got these "demo units" into Newegg's shipments...either someone on the floor at D&H pulled an inside job (somewhat plausible) or someone at the Intel facility that shipped the "product" to D&H pulled an inside job (more likely, unless there's yet another intermediate step in the supply chain between Intel and Newegg).

In the end, I don't blame Newegg for this...in fact, aside from the PR gaffe over the "demo box" wording in the press release, they are doing exactly what they should do and what I've come to expect of them. I've ordered a lot of gear from Newegg over the past several years and while I've had, on a very rare occasion, problems with merchandise I've ordered from them, I've never had a problem with Newegg's customer service...EVER. On the rare occasion I have had a problem with an order, all it's ever taken to resolve it to my satisfaction is one phone call to Newegg's customer service and it's done. Even after they added their Memphis warehouse a few years ago, which caused me to have to start paying sales tax on orders since I'm in Nashville, I still order the bulk of my computer gear from them precisely because of their excellent customer service, great selection, good prices (and the fact that anything coming out of the Memphis warehouse comes in 1 day, even on UPS Ground).

Now, for a couple of bones to pick, with Kyle and with those that say they'll boycott Newegg over this incident. Kyle, I don't know what issues you've had with Newegg as of late on the business side, but your headline is pretty loaded and doesn't mention that Newegg got scammed as well...while that is covered in the story, as has been said elsewhere in the thread, many people just scan the headlines, not read the story, and get the wrong impression. Also, your closing statement after quoting Newegg's updated press release ("For the record, I am not buying that story.") is pretty vague and open to interpretation. What weren't you "buying", the "demo box" explanation, Newegg saying that affected customers would be promptly taken care of, or both? I know you're not a journalist per se, but that point could be clarified.

To those who say they'll boycott Newegg over this, let's be honest here: where else are you going to buy your computer parts from that has Newegg's selection, customer service reputation, and competitive prices? Frankly, I don't think you'll find many matches...as for me, Newegg has earned my continued business and as long as they continue to do right by me, they'll continue to get my business.

Last edited:
i quit dealing with newegg almost 2 years ago. They sent me a used bad mobo. then for my son they sent a 750mb west dig. hdd with 5000 hours on it. had to report them to the BBB to get my money back on the hard drive. Screwing the public, then pleading we did not know, reminds me of congress, not an ethical etailer lol. ed

I smell the distinct odor of bulls**t with this one...

i am kind of suprised that only 1 guy from this forum bought a 920 from newegg between 3/1 and 3/4.

and from my dealings with newegg, i am pretty sure if you had hard evidence that your "new" drive had 5000 hours on it, you would not have to go thru the bbb to get a refund.

where else are you going to buy your computer parts from that has Newegg's selection, customer service reputation, and competitive prices? .

You ever heard of Amazon? They sell pretty much everything Newegg does and their everyday prices are usually the same as Newegg's "shellshockers".

And let's be honest, this one experience shoudln't be a factor alone, but anyone who has been shopping at Newegg for a while (and I have, since 2001, and well over 20K+ spent), has seen it's deterioration, from the bonehead pricing structure, to sometimes ridiculous shipping costs, to the just too many times that people have thought to get repackaged items....and lets not forget their horrible shipping of hard drives.

No, they are not the newegg most of us remember, and maybe that's just a product of them growing to be so large. I do use Amazon almost always now first, then Mwave and ZZF, and then as a last resort I'll check newegg, if for anything else they still have the best presentation of pictures for items.

Additionally, the Part Number on the heat sink will read CNFN936612 and there will be no wiring on the heat sink itself

Heatsink? you mean that chunk of foam with a picture?

1) The title on the front page is what it is........correct.
2) Someone slipped "fake" shit into orders purchased in good faith.
3) These "fake" boxes and their contents do not appear to be "demo" products from Intel.

4) Newegg did the right thing,albeit with some "spin" to lighten the mood.
I do not think the company, Newegg, would put their reputation or business on the line for 300 CPUs........300 X 300 = 90,000........they probably bring in that amount in the first minute of business Monday morning.

5) This should not stop anyone from buying anything from newegg.

You ever heard of Amazon? They sell pretty much everything Newegg does and their everyday prices are usually the same as Newegg's "shellshockers".

And let's be honest, this one experience shoudln't be a factor alone, but anyone who has been shopping at Newegg for a while (and I have, since 2001, and well over 20K+ spent), has seen it's deterioration, from the bonehead pricing structure, to sometimes ridiculous shipping costs, to the just too many times that people have thought to get repackaged items....and lets not forget their horrible shipping of hard drives.

No, they are not the newegg most of us remember, and maybe that's just a product of them growing to be so large. I do use Amazon almost always now first, then Mwave and ZZF, and then as a last resort I'll check newegg, if for anything else they still have the best presentation of pictures for items.

I'll give you Amazon, though most people probably don't look to them for major computer components (mobos, CPUs, RAM, cases, etc.). I agree that Amazon is usually pretty good on price on most everything, but, as far as being able to research parts with specs and pictures like Newegg does it, Amazon's layout for computer components sucks balls.

Fact is, I still trust Newegg until they give me a reason not to trust them...

I'll give you Amazon, though most people probably don't look to them for major computer components (mobos, CPUs, RAM, cases, etc.). I agree that Amazon is usually pretty good on price on most everything, but, as far as being able to research parts with specs and pictures like Newegg does it, Amazon's layout for computer components sucks balls.

Fact is, I still trust Newegg until they give me a reason not to trust them...

Exactly, and that's why I have always shopped at Newegg. You get the details of the products.

Exactly, and that's why I have always shopped at Newegg. You get the details of the products.

Amen to that...I remember the "bad old days" of parts shopping before I found Newegg all those years ago. Back then, I primarily shopped from TigerDirect, MWave, and CompUSA, among other places...while they all generally had at least basic specs on their items then, Newegg has made it so much easier to drill down and find exactly what I was looking for, without wading through pages and pages of crap, as well as comparing products and their specs.

It's also much better than tracking down specs from manufacturers' sites....

protip guys...you can use newegg for the pics and details, and then buy it somewhere else...

Have there ever been demo boxes sent? o_O Personally I have never heard of demo cpu boxes -_-

I'm not buying the whole "demo boxes" excuse. I doubt Intel would have needed 300 demo boxes world wide. EVER. The Core i7 920 has been out for some time. There would be no need to have any of those in circulation at this point. Much less 300 of them together in a recent shipment. Counterfeit CPUs aren't exactly a new business either. Though we don't normally see such things in the United States, it has and does still happen in many places all over the world.

As for who is to actually blame here, I couldn't say. I don't have all the facts.

protip guys...you can use newegg for the pics and details, and then buy it somewhere else...

To some degree, I do that already...if I've got a big build, I'll get prices from 2-3 sites (usually Newegg, MWave, and eWiz/SuperBiiz). I'll try to get my shopping lists as close as I can across those sites, do my research on Newegg, and go from there. If the price is close enough, even with sales tax and shipping factored in, I'll order everything from Newegg. If the price gap is too large for my taste, I'll order what I need from Newegg that the other stores don't have at all/don't have a close enough equivalent or if I need it fast and order everything else from the other sites (though I will take a closer look at Amazon for components in the future).

Last edited:

i've never been a fan of newegg goods simply due to their apparent tendency to sell used shit as new. my company switched from mwave to using newegg for small orders on components. i've seen a ton of resealed accessory boxes, resealed/broken sticker static bags (containing hardware with fingerprints on it), new motherboards with dust(!) on them, hard drives not in static bags, and so on... most of the stuff works fine but we need to send it back anyway.

sure newegg customer service is good and resolves the issues, but these never should have been issues to begin with.

That CPU thing + the price gouging of Intel SSD in 2009 + all the other reasons reported in this thread should make some people wakeup. There are better alternatives to newegg. They are not the lewest price/better service around nowaday.

Sorry, I have dealt with newegg and many other etailers for many years. I am calling flat out BS on this post. If you requested an RMA on that hdd within the appropriate return period, then they would of refunded it without problem. I have done hundreds of RMA's through newegg over the years and never once had issue.

OK all you Pulitzer's...what words would you use instead of "Newegg sells fake CPU's".

"Newegg" - Proper of name of subject in question
"sells" - v. to transfer (goods) to or render (services) for another in exchange for money. In this specific case at the very least to Nix, who did exchange currency for said item question
"fake" - n. anything made to appear otherwise than it actually is; counterfeit. These were meant to look like Intel CPU's, and they weren't.
"CPU's" - these weren't shoes.

What false conclusion could I draw from the headline? Seems pretty accurate to me.

Now if your argument centers on intent, then stop now. No one even remotely claims (yet), that this is a newegg operation, and the blame is falling now on one of their distributors. Regardless, Newegg is the point of contact to the end purchaser, they are the ones that choose their distributors, and they are ultimately responsible for the product that enters and leave their doors.

Fake Cpu's passed through Newegg supply line.
Newegg inadvertently ships fake intel to customers.

Just to name a couple possible options off the top of my head. If you don't know what false conclusion you can draw from that headline you are either oblivious or have an agenda to push.

Between myself and several businesses I handled parts for, I have dealt with newegg, tiger direct, Buy.com and Amazon for many years. When it comes to computer components I disagree with the notion that Amazon's normal prices are the same as neweggs shell shockers. One must take more then just the upfront pricing into account there. Other factors include; Shipping price, shipping time, handling turnaround and expected RMA time if needed. When all factors are considered then right now few etailers amazon included touch neweggs pricing. Sorry Amazon's turn around and shipping is atrocious compared to newegg. Simply put, it has been an extremely rare day when it took more then 3 days for me to get anything from newegg, most times in 1 due to my location. While I have got some good deals from Amazon over the years, it is rare I get anything faster then 5 days most times 7 out of them. Tiger I am not going to bother mentioning because their prices, service and RMA procedures are just plain horrible. I have no idea how that company stays in business.

Now that is on computer components..Other things however are an entirely different story. Neweggs TV prices are usually bad. I purchased a 52" Samsung LCD a little over a month ago, I planned on getting it from newegg. However their prices on that LCD simply were never competitive with HH Greg. My experience with newegg on non computer components is a bit of a mixed bag. While I have never had a negative experience, getting good deals is hit and miss. While I understand their desire to grow and diversify, I am afraid that Computer hardware is what they do best and it is obvious.

Not buying it?

You find it easier to believe that Newegg would deliberately try to screw their customers? Tiger Direct I could believe that of, but Newegg? Sounds like you have personal beef with Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back