Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, Demo units. These are obvious fakes. I wish Newegg would be more honest with their customers. Just admit that there was an issue with the supply chain and tell people to call for an overnight replacement for anyone who was effected. If Newegg wants to improve their image, they should offer a $20 coupon on the next order for anyone who happened to receive one.

ya i agree, just be honest. anyone who knew about this was an enthusiast. we know this is a PR lie response. if you just be 100% honest, it would more respectful. say, we bought some fake cpu's by mistake. it seems like our supplier was duped too. we will work to make sure nothing like this happens again.

we know it was not your intention to sell fake cpu's. we are glad you are snappy to fix the problem this is why we like newegg. if you give us some typical PR response you appear as just some typical company and we know you are better then that.

All nice and well to get a real i7-920 but you should demand a nice cardboard motherboard to go with the first 'CPU' you got :)

About the doubt about the 'demo unit' story, I think that intel would not put a hologram and serial and description and such on a demo box label, they would put on the label 'DEMO' exactly to avoid people selling it.
But I think newegg got fed the demo box story and just repeats it and it might not be their story.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI2NzgyMzM4OFJyeXphUllhYmRfMV8xX2wuanBn

Oh and they should have given a i7-930 as replacement since the i7-920 is officially being phased out now as you might know, and it would be a nice gesture, although they should have asked if that was OK first though, some people have very specific demands after all and might have more confidence in the tried and true over the new (although it's been shown the 930 OC's like the 920)

I don't know if this has anything to do with what just happened. But last week the Co. I work for had 3 brand new WD 300GB Raptors that were counterfit. The Co we buy them from is D&H. The same Co these CPU's came from. Every box we opened there was a old 20GB Seagate drive inside. There is something very wrong happing over there.

I wouldn't be looking at D&H so much as China from where they are getting their supply from. Lets face the facts here, both Newegg and D&H don't want or need the bad publicity. Newegg has built themselves into such a giant by providing quality and service. Any good business person know it only take a few problems and they can turn into a big loss in the end. Don't need to look very far from the computer world to see companies that started providing inferior products and bad customer service. Now look at how fast they are going down hill for it.

And lets face the facts here, we have been seeing China doing some very crooked things the last few years. But I guess the final blame lays on our shoulders here in America for outsourcing our manufacturing. We are finally seeing the side effects of greed.

I don't know if this has anything to do with what just happened. But last week the Co. I work for had 3 brand new WD 300GB Raptors that were counterfit. The Co we buy them from is D&H. The same Co these CPU's came from. Every box we opened there was a old 20GB Seagate drive inside. There is something very wrong happing over there.

Sounds like we have someone in DH starting there own company

I think this is one of the most ludicrous threads that I have ever seen.

First, you do not go to any effort to manufacture an obvious poorly done replica and stuff it in a box that only an end buyer will open.This is wa-a-ay too much effort. To screw with the distribution chain you just put a brick in the box.

Second, why pick one of the least expensive CPUs ... an i7 920 ... BS!! There is NO money is this so called scam by 'egg. Anyway why wouldn't you would go for w5590s. Or, the counterfeiter maybe assumed that no one would notice? NO! don't bother offering any of your nonsensical explanations.

Come on guys ... where is the logic in *any* of this?????

The logic is that you can ship the fake CPU in a larger shipment with real CPU's. Less chance of detection, and you'd be "selling" high volume compared to higher priced, less popular and hence lower volume CPU's.

To produce a printed box with some fake stuff inside is surprisingly cheap. You might have to "invest" about US$ 0.7 to 1.0 per box. Then you turn around and sell it for 10-15% below the current lowest real CPU offer and the effort becomes economically viable. I'm guessing 300 fakes would amount to about US$ 30,000-35,000 profit.

In the end it is not difficult if you already have a factory (and might have fallen on hard times). You have the uneducated, submissive, under-paid and afraid staff, you have the floor facilities and you have the shipping structure so only a small change of plans is needed. I'm sure many more than 300 fakes where produced and sold world wide. A low end guesstimate would place (as the Chinese never really do anything half-way) the total shipment at around 10,000 pieces and a nice profit of a round million dollars. The owner could then just leave the failing factory and live well off the cash made or rinse and repeat at a new factory and location with a new fake item.

I see this kind of "dealing" on almost a daily basis here. It is very easy to control the shipment from production to goods inspection to customer delivery. You wouldn't even have to do a pallet switching dance, just pay off the inspector with a percentage of the delivery value (which would be several months worth of salary, daily) and you are good to go.

Also, the misspellings are not hard to understand as many people have never even laid eyes on Western writings before.

Edit: Disclaimer: IMPORTANT! Now, nobody go off to China and start producing fakes. You are NOT a master criminal and will most likely fail and die. Mmkay. ;)

The only thing more pathetic than the majority of the 'BS, PR lies' posts is HardOCP's front page with in big bold better: 'NewEgg selling fake Intel CPU's.'

This reeks of National Enquirer level journalism and HardOCP should be completely embarrassed by the entire thing.

i have to agree this is not fudzilla or the inq there was an error and from the ass covering by the distributor it appears demo boxes where sent. idk how they hell a distributor could frack that up so badly or how they got into the real inventory i bet theirs 300 nib i7's on ebay right now

Personally I think Newegg should have simply said 'yeah, our supplier sold us counterfeit processors'. If Newegg sells demo units my first reaction is to blame them for letting it slip through. If Newegg sells counterfeit processors my first reaction is to assume they're a victim too.

Nonfunctional demo units of any product I've ever seen have had clear notices that they were not real. Even obvious fakes like cardboard monitors will say across them 'NOT FOR SALE'. To sale a demo unit shows a store's extreme lack of attention to what they're doing. I would absolutely blame the store for selling me a demo unit.

Counterfeit items on the other hand are designed to fool people, and it's completely understandable to me how a store might not notice something designed to blend in. I'd feel the store got duped as well, and not hold it against them.

Just seems like a PR mistake for Newegg to say they sold demo units and somehow they didn't notice they were demo units, rather than saying 'They were counterfeit, designed to look like the real thing, and we're victims too.'

This "demo boxes" story works about as well as those fake 920s! I ran a few Google searches using various combos of "Intel" "demo" & "boxes" just to see if I could find anything about Intel previously using similar packaging and I found nil, nix, nada, null, aught, cipher, cypher, goose egg, naught, zero, zilch, zip, zippo.. So it begs the question on why would "920 demo boxes" show up in the supply chain now since these have been out over a year. And why would "demo boxes" contain fake instructions, fake cooler, spelling mistakes and a box not up to normal Intel standards.

Glad that NewEgg is rectifying the situation but they do share some of the blame. They are the last link in the chain of making sure these products are legit before the customer receives it. I am sure more than a few people handled this product.. someone had to initially receive it from D&H, inventory it, store it, and finally box it to the consumer. And no one there saw that this was a bogus product? Perhaps NewEgg doesn't have as many 920s available anymore to compare but if this was placed next to the real box, perhaps many other Intel CPU boxes, it might have been fairly evident that something is different about it, even without opening the box. Did no one give more than the quickest of looks at the cooler fan and not noticed it wasn't real? I don't think I and others are being too hard on NewEgg as this is their job.. all that inspection of the products they sell should be part of the process that they use to insure that the customers are getting legit equipment. And as part of the $ we pay NewEgg or any other e-tailer, that is what the customer is expected to happen.

Just glad I am sticking with my Tandy 1000 until this all gets sorted out.. plus dual floppies rule!! And.. I don't want to make Bill Bixby angry.. I wouldn't like him when he's angry!!

tandy1000_ad2.jpg

This sounds alot like DH is buying from some shady group . And this is what they get for not buying from legit companies. This is why the legit companies say buy from us or else you may buy crap.

Every person on this planet is gonna make mistakes, so that definently is going to result in companies/corporations making mistakes every once in awhile, despite best efforts. So Jesus people, chill the fuck out. :rolleyes:

I cant believe you even printed what they said on the front page. When you received that little gem did you promptly ask them if they cared to revise their bullshit story? These are not display units! That is total horseshit and everyone knows it. They can't really help that they got ripped off, but to lie about it, is fucking childish. Before, they where innocent victims. Now, they are dirty fucking liars.

I seen the thread before the front page story. I kept coming back just to see if we would get the story behind it. But soon it became clear that this wasn’t an isolated case. When the front page story went up I thought it was appropriate and the headline accurate. Now maybe it doesn’t paint Newegg in the best light but that should give them all the more reason to be open and honest with all of us about how this happened.

What they give us is a story about being mistakenly shipped demo boxes that were mixed in with the shipment. Sorry but what suppler is going to waste warehouse space on Demo 920 units at this point in its life cycle. The response stinks to high heaven in more ways than one.

Prior to this Newegg was at worst careless in allowing such poor fakes to make it to its customers. But if that’s the best they could come up with for a public statement then they should have kept quiet. As a customer I need to feel that I can trust them. Not just trust them to make it right at no extra cost to me.

An honest company would never slip opened returns back in to new stock for example. And I am using this example as this is often my biggest fear buying parts online. That I will get something in that someone else fucked up and returned. It’s happened to me years ago and if it wasn’t for AMEX I would have been screwed.

So if I can’t trust Newegg to be honest with its customers about something shady like this where they themselves were duped how can I trust that they aren’t putting returns in with new stock?

Sorry for the late response guys i was out most of the day yesterday. For some reason The newegg team that handles these sort of issues can't post directly to hard forum. I was asked to point every one to these threads.

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606966
http://www.overclock.net/intel-build-logs/682544-first-build-ever-i7-920-a.html
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/682686-newegg-issue-fake-i7-920-retail.html
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6422425

So what if they can’t seem to post here? If they got something worth saying to us they can contact Kyle and I am sure he will add it to the article. We don’t really need Newegg PR in here trying to run damage control. Though maybe giving them enough rope to finally hang themselves would be best? Either way I won’t be checking out those forum links you were asked to pass on. I have no interest in reading through more threads full of kneejerk reactions to the situation in the hopes some new fact will come to light.

I can't believe there are a bunch of people on here saying they will never shop at Newegg again?? Just silly. Like the they would ever send these out to people intentionally....no.....not going to happen. At worst, maybe one rouge pissed off shipping employee on his last day giving a big F-U to everyone......but I doubt it. I've been shopping at the Egg since their first year, hundreds of items purchased, never had a bad experience. Plus the BEST customer service and prices anywhere....bar none.

I don't think Newegg suddenly decided a few days ago to start selling fake processors and see if they could get away with it. Even the title of the story on the home page is just dumb, come on Steve, you make it sound like they are a shady Chinese black market company. Obviously it was a major mistake. Yeah, it sure fucked some dudes day up a bit. But I'm sure he'll be fine in a few days time.

To the people boycotting the Egg after this.....have fun at Tiger Direct, Amazon, Ebay etc.....All of those places I have had multiple bad experiences with.

The Egg roxors my boxors!

Peace out!

Last edited:
The only thing more pathetic than the majority of the 'BS, PR lies' posts is HardOCP's front page with in big bold better: 'NewEgg selling fake Intel CPU's.'

This reeks of National Enquirer level journalism and HardOCP should be completely embarrassed by the entire thing.

Kyle reported the facts. You sound really mad and should go sit in the corner.

But his choice of words wasn't very good. His headline was subtly indicative of Newegg purposefully selling fake CPUs.

Obviously that isn't the case, but it really does sound like a "shock jock" FOX News sort of headline. Some people are exceptionally shallow, and won't bother to read the rest of the article - they'll take it at face value and spread their ignorance.

I like what Hardware Canucks did - they posted a similar headline, but had an emboldened subtitle (which was very noticeable) directly below that read:

In an almost surreal tale of events, USA electronics retailer Newegg has discovered a reported 300 counterfeit Intel Core i7 920 CPU’s in its inventory, some of which were inadvertently shipped out to buyers!

Last edited:
I actually 2nd that.

I have no experience with any us etailers since i dont live in NA.
the only ones i know is emotiva, got some amps from them,(yes, overseas shipping cost alot 200$ to me)
I dont carry any grudge towards any e-tailer in us at all.

Many people may just read the headlines and think newegg fucks up, o.0, but its impossible to make headlines that doesnt do.

But, kyle makes an editorial afterwards, most H people come again and again, they'll read it :)

Whats important, is that it gets known, that egg replaces cpu's, and that every1's happy afterwards :)

So I read on the updated page that there was a lot of 300 'demo' units accidentally shipped from the distributor. I find the entire process unacceptable...some retard ships demos on accident. Why would they even HAVE demo cpu's? You can't sell them and you can't use them for anything! Also, the fact that another retard at Newegg shipped the cpu is also unacceptable...920's are popular and this box looks completely different, plus the picture of a fan through the box window that doesn't even line up! Are you telling me the person who packed the order didn't see this or question this? I would of asked for free return shipping and some sort of credit to my order. I'd also threaten to return all my items and just buy them from Tiger Direct just to piss them off.

If I were the owner of Newegg, I would be yelling so loud at the distributor he'd be covered in spit.

The fact is newegg was selling CPU's that were indeed fake. I'm sorry if others did not read the rest of the article, but I did. Seemed like he was reporting the facts and not telling his readers to never shop at newegg ever again.

Yes, but the headline was extremely misleading and amateur. I have a great deal of respect for Kyle usually, this however I feel was an error in judgement. The headline could of and should of been a good deal more accurate. The article itself was fine, I read it and it was an honest presentation of what happened.

That said, to the ones saying you are never going to shop newegg I call bs. You are going to go where you get the best prices and service next time you buy, and more often then not that will be newegg. I doubt most will even remember this a few months down the road. Those not able to comprehend how it could pass through several hands and not be caught, have never worked any form of a retail/shipping position. Otherwise they would know just how easy it is to have something slip through when someone is boxing up hundreds of items per day. Of course it gets no more then a quick glance, you don't have time to inspect the box for every little detail. A few hours of that and I assure you they all start to look the same. While I agree their statement was BS, at the end of the day they are correcting the situation quickly for the customers. That is more important then anything else.

So that's what you're gonna do about it? Trying to make yourself look smarter by bashing on someone else. Your post is nothing than another sign of decadence. Thank you.
Please don't reply. I have a very short temper for stupidity.

Really? You take a cheap pot-shot at America in general and try to tie it to the current story at hand and not expect any sort of response? Perhaps you can try something more original than jumping on a popular bandwagon? I doubt it though.

Are you denying that Newegg sold a fake Intel CPU?

Really? You take a cheap pot-shot at America in general and try to tie it to the current story at hand and not expect any sort of response? Perhaps you can try something more original than jumping on a popular bandwagon? I doubt it though.

Over time you will learn to simply ignore Mr. Anti America. :p

But his choice of words wasn't very good. His headline was subtly indicative of Newegg purposefully selling fake CPUs.

Obviously that isn't the case, but it really does sound like a "shock jock" FOX News sort of headline. Some people are exceptionally shallow, and won't bother to read the rest of the article - they'll take it at face value and spread their ignorance.

I like what Hardware Canucks did - they posted a similar headline, but had an emboldened subtitle (which was very noticeable) directly below that read:

Ah, so now you do a fox news comparison as a shock jock headline callout because you don't like the word choice. Picky.

I have had time to think about this and I know it's not all Newwegg's "fault" BUT...
Who is to say other things baught from them had not "fallen off a truck" somewhere?

There is no way to tell where anything originally came from and by the time it gets in our greedy hands they can all play the blame game.
Now if the cops show up at my house and find stolen or knock-off merchandice I can't say "well blame Newegg "
That said, Im also Goddamn sure Intel did not make these "Demo boxes". Let alone 300 of them. Why would they make a knock off of their own product with such subpar packaging? Im sure there could be an investigation into this deeper than anyone wants. This MUST be investigated by the feds as it was interstate shipped and was esentially a scam, because several people paid for what they thought was a real Intel product. People were absolutely fucking scammed and it starts somewhere.
Nobody can fucking tell me that "whoops we accidentally loaded a bunch of "demo boxes" on a pallet and it's not our fault" Maybe Neweggs didnt look closely, I can buy that maybe, but they came from someone, somewhere up the line with INTENT to fuck someone over.

Are these 920s the new Nigerian cores?
Im waiting for the youtube Hitler scammed by Newegg parody.

So yes for now, FUCK newegg.
I hope the place gets the same rule Directron had here where for a while you could not even spell it on here without the name being erased.

Last edited:
Fake copies of brand name goods are a huge problem. The RCMP busted a retailer this Christmas in my city with a store full of fake brand name ski clothing. The retailer has been charged, the fake stuff seized. I'm surprised Intel is fairly quiet on this one. Their security people should be all over this story. And the "demo" line? Nonsense. BTW, the word "Sochet" on the box is a dead giveaway.

I know that if this happened in Canada I'd be calling the RCMP before I'd call Newegg. And I'd be telling Newegg that if they want their processer, call the RCMP on case number XXYYYY. And I want my money.

BTW, a quick search on "fake intel processors" turned up lots of links going back years. This isn't new; just the latest iteration of an old game.

Last edited:
1. I have worked shipping jobs b4, unlike most of you, when you got hundreds/thousands of products being boxed every day, you DO NOT READ THE BOXES, hell newegg has shipped me wrong items before because they where put on the shelf that the item i ordered was sposta be on, never gave me any problems, infact they let me keep the wrong videocard AND sent me the one i paid for(hey the wrong card was a $65 card, nice gift for their mistake)

2. There are demo boxes that are used in alot of retail stores, Now they tend to be better spellchecked then these BUT there are REAL demo boxes, same as with cell phones.
they do this because they will put a bunch of demo boxes on the shelf at a place like frys or compusa, and when you go up to check out, they get the real on off the shelf and send the demo box back, it keeps people from jacking real products off the shelf, also kinda funny to watch somebody get nabbed as they try and get out of the store with a demo box!!!!

I have worked retail, and demo boxing of the type im talking about is VERY common, hell most places do it with expensive software as well(like windows or office), just another way to product yourself(the company) from being ripped off for high ticket items.

3. having worked both types of jobs and delt with them, I can tell you these boxes likely wouldn't stick out from the originals to a shipping worker if he worker wasnt told to keep an eye out for fakes and shown how to spot them, and even then, when your packing hundreds to thousands of boxes a day with multi items, you start to just "zone out" and not pay close attn to boxes, as long as it looks like your grabbing what goes in the box, you just dont give a shit(most of the time your working minimum or low wage so giving a shit isnt in your contract..if you get my meaning)

AzureSky
You don't get the point.
1. They are not "demo boxes" they are "Knock-Offs" intended to SCAM someone.
2. Someone PROFITED from this with complete INTENT to scam.
3. Trust is BLOWN on the entire operation.
4. Someone can and should go to PRISON.

No one is blaming the shipping worker or dock worker.
Newegg is dealing with shady dealers and is thus in a shady trade practice.

The whole NewEgg thing is kinda a non-issue for me on the whole CPU thing, I was working in VAR and PSR at one point between 1996-2001, we used to get CPU's from various sources. Supercom, Ingram Micro(Goooo Fingram Micro!) other distributors through the chain(been so long I can't remember who else we bought from). For those that remember that, period was the era of silk screening, and cheap knockoffs. I can't count the number of times I saw silk screened Cyrix chips marked as Intel, or AMD chips screened as intel. All on the OEM side, or motherboards remodded from asus/abit from pcchips including the bios being reflashed. And sometimes in retail which was annoying when you were selling a box that didn't have any obvious issues with spelling/grammar and so on. Or memory from major manufactures in retail packs stamped with the 60ns timings, being 100ns and a cheap-brand knock off.

That's not even touching on the counterfeit copies of software, on silver discs but stamped wrong. Nothing like getting a seemingly legit copy of Win95a, including certificate properly made with the working scratch & sniff seal. And the disc being MS Plus, Greetings Workshop, MS Office and so on.

This stuff has been on-going for years, and every once and a while you get a pile of it in the supply chain from legit sources. There is someone on the inside, and I do remember the pile of stinking shit from both Supercom and IM when retailers started screaming over it.

(Guess not logging into my account for 6 years means it got nuked.)

AzureSky
You don't get the point.
1. They are not "demo boxes" they are "Knock-Offs" intended to SCAM someone.
2. Someone PROFITED from this with complete INTENT to scam.
3. Trust is BLOWN on the entire operation.
4. Someone can and should go to PRISON.

No one is blaming the shipping worker or dock worker.
Newegg is dealing with shady dealers and is thus in a shady trade practice.
No. This is way too much effort for something that a "5th grader" could tell the difference between. What you say makes no sense; there is no evidence of intent; the use of "counterfeit" is wrong; there is still no logic here ...perhaps way too much caffeine.

The packaging is one thing, but going to the effort to put a mock up HSF, manual, & CPU in a box that is never opened except by the end user ... is silly.

No. This is way too much effort for something that a "5th grader" could tell the difference between. What you say makes no sense; there is no evidence of intent; the use of "counterfeit" is wrong; there is still no logic here ...perhaps way too much caffeine.

The packaging is one thing, but going to the effort to put a mock up HSF, manual, & CPU in a box that is never opened except by the end user ... is silly.

As I said before...

Weight and visibility of items through diecuts in the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back