Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know literally nothing about the profession of journalism. What you called searching the Web for a company defending itself, I call basic fact-checking. And fact-checking is the foundation of good reporting. You claim it's not Kyle's responsibility to look for more information, yet Kyle is the editor of this news/review site. How can you possibly say it's not his responsibility to get all the facts, or at least make every effort to do so?

And it's ridiculous for you to claim he had no way to verify the information he received -- he could have simply picked up the phone, as other reporters did, and called D&H for a comment. He did not. Thus, he received a nasty and completely justified C&D letter. He was wrong. Case closed.

I didn't claim it wasn't his responsibility to check facts. I didn't realize I was meddling in journalism either.

Once again, his fact checking hasn't been proven false. He has admitted this is a discrepancy in the information, and will look into the issue. During this time he has gone as far as apologize to D&H since NewEgg has vouched for their credibility. And again, D&H figured out how to send him a C&D, what part was so hard for them to send him additional information?

I never said he couldn't verify the information he received. I said, he hasn't posted additional information that he has no way of verifying.

Haha... man, some of these other retailers are using this fiasco to their advantage:

On SuperBiiz:
eblast-march9.jpg

Hahahaha...

I didn't claim it wasn't his responsibility to check facts. I didn't realize I was meddling in journalism either.

This is understandable since it goes to the heart of the debate about "Internet news." I guess the question is, do you consider HardOCP a blog that doesn't need to follow the rules of journalism, or do you consider the site to be a reputable news site? I consider HardOCP to be the latter, thus I hold it to a higher standard than just some chucklehead shooting his mouth off on the Web, which anyone can do.

Once again, his fact checking hasn't been proven false.

Uh, come again? MetalSmart, he got the story WRONG. It's wasn't D&H that shipped the phony chips. How is that not "false"?

He has admitted this is a discrepancy in the information, and will look into the issue. During this time he has gone as far as apologize to D&H since NewEgg has vouched for their credibility.

I'm nitpicking here, but I wouldn't call this a "discrepency" -- I would call it an erroneous report or a false accusation that is potentially libelous. By writing discrepency, you make it sound like there's a conflicting version of events. There isn't. Again, Kyle got it wrong.

And okay, more nitpicking here: I found Kyle's apology in the article to be a little weak. It's buried at the bottom of the story. And as far as I know, he still never called them to clear the air. And then he posted on the forum with a little grandstanding and some half-hearted justification for the major error in his story. I quote his earlier post:

"Our main focus in this was to get Newegg to tell its customers the truth. Do you think that would have happened without our involvement? Dunno, but I am leaning heavily one way in that discussion."

Come on, Kyle. Show some humility. Don't try to downplay the error by suggesting that your false report somehow helped RESOLVE the issue, when what it really did was just CONFUSE it. People make mistakes all the time, it's not the end of the world. Just show some humility. Just say, hey, I'm sorry, we screwed up, shoulda called D&H, apologize for the error. Come clean, and people will forgive you and move on. But try to downplay things and qualify and justify your mistake just makes it worse.

And again, D&H figured out how to send him a C&D, what part was so hard for them to send him additional information?

Again, this goes back to journalism 101. It's not incumbent on D&H to do the fact-checking and news gathering for Kyle. It IS HardOCP's job to get the whole story from the company it's implicating in a scandal. If you were D&H, you'd want the same treatment. And for the record, as I posted earlier, D&H did reach out to different news sites with a statement to clear the air.

go away 2nd day noobie

you have it out for Kyle and it is showing at this point. Don't like [H]..there is a simple fix for that.

How many times are you gonna say the same things?

go away 2 day noobie

you have it out for Kyle and it is showing at this point. Don't like [H]..there is a simple fix for that.

How many times are you gonna say the same things?

I don't have it out for Kyle. I believe, as an indirect compliment, I wrote that I hold HardOCP to a higher standard than just some random loudmouth blog. My above post is a nice way of saying that i believe Kyle's story is unbecoming of HardOCP. It's called constructive criticism.

I've been reading this site for a couple years now, but this is the first time I felt compelled to throw in my 2 cents on the forum. And I wouldn't chime in if I didn't care.

If you want to call me a noob and start a flame war, go for it. I'm trying to have a productive discussion here, and so, I believe, is MetalSmart and others. Reasonable people can disagree about reasonable things without getting into name-calling and petty insults.

Sexual_Tyrannosaur said:
If you want to call me a noob and start a flame war, go for it. I'm trying to have a productive discussion here, and so, I believe, is MetalSmart and others. Reasonable people can disagree about reasonable things without getting into name-calling and petty insults.

Reasonable people don't post the same points over and over again. Reasonable people don't demand a better apology when there is nothing wrong with the original one. Thrive on drama much?

Last edited:
New Egg insisted that they return the cheese-proc in exchange for a $288 silicon processor.

I would have been like No, you give me $5000 and a 975 EE. They would have done it.

A lot of fanbois and shills are trying to minimize New Egg's responsibility. They have openly admitted to selling grey-market proc in the U.S. They are the second largest internet retailer and they buy from IPEX which is not associated with an Intel Approved Distributor.

IPEX admitted they are importing from Asia, Product which Intel has designated as not for sale in the US.

Sure Sure, they product usually works, doesn't make it any less grey market. This Cheese-Proc business just brought it to light. Now whether the cheese-procs were planted by a small time criminal to cover his tracks while he made off with some grey-market goods to sell on the greyer-market, or by someone in the trade who was bringing this shady dealing to light it had the same effect.

And regardless what the shills and fanbois will say, it is shady. NewEgg knows it is very much in the wrong in this matter and is doing everything it can to contain it. Hence the advice that if you received a cheese-proc from NewEgg, squeeze them a little, they will pay.

The last thing they want is one of these things showing up in the wrong place.

Now about what Kyle did? Personally I'm glad he investigated for us. I think he was set up by NewEgg. Their source 'fed' him the wrong name and he jumped a little too quickly. He was played by the bad guys. ya ya I know, they're going to say bad things about me. Call me a troll whatever.

They want to minimize their misdeeds and abilities in the eyes of the public. And one of their strong suites is a pretty slick damage control team. They knew Kyle was calling around and one of them had the sweet idea to tell him the wrong name of who sold the crap to New Egg.

Kyle problem solved, he shut up. But too bad New Egg, problem didn't go away did it?

Now IPEX is saying they bought them from someone else. Implying that the Cheese-procs didn't enter the channel under their watch. I have some questions about that. I'd like to know where the number of 300 cheese-procs came from?

Did they recover 300 cheese-procs? Is there some way to identify them on inventory? How exactly does IPEX know the cheese-proc swap/insertion didn't occur while IPEX owned the stock?

Well these guys are so shady we'll probably never know. They are operating on a CYA basis and lack of transparency damage control mode. SOP. Regardless, either fate, a disgruntled employee, or some industrial 'agent' planted the cheese procs and brought this whole affair to light. Now everyone who's interested knows that NewEgg buys from the Grey Market.

I don't know about you, but I think I'm going to an Intel authorized distributor for my next processor. (evilsofa correctly pointed out that I can't buy directly from a distributor. He also noted that New Egg is on Intel's authorized retailer list. Nice. They're on the public record admitting they buy procs from IPEX, a non-approved distributor. This will cost them in their relationship with Intel. And ultimately it's going to hurt the consumer. Thanks New Egg.) At least I can tell you who I'm not going to for my next processor.

Last edited:
Izord said:
Now about what Kyle did? Personally I'm glad he investigated for us. I think he was set up by NewEgg. Their source 'fed' him the wrong name and he jumped a little too quickly. He was played by the bad guys. ya ya I know, they're going to say bad things about me. Call me a troll whatever.

They want to minimize their misdeeds and abilities in the eyes of the public. And one of their strong suites is a pretty slick damage control team. They knew Kyle was calling around and one of them had the sweet idea to tell him the wrong name of who sold the crap to New Egg.

Interesting take on the situation. I think this is a possibility. I am sure newegg doesn't allow just any of their employees to make statements to inquiring minds. Whomever made the statement, was in a position to do so and was well informed.

I don't know about you, but I think I'm going to an Intel authorized distributor for my next processor.

Here's the official list of Intel authorized distributors:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/227304.htm

The list for USA consists of ASI Corporation, D&H Distributing, Ingram Micro, Synnex Corporation and Tech Data Corporation.

You'll find you are not able to buy processors from them. That's because they are distributors. Distributors sell only to retailers. Customers buy processors from retailers.

Here's the list of Intel authorized retailers for the i7-920 (you can choose whatever other CPUs you're interested in):

http://www.intel.com/buy/desktop/boxed-processor/embedded.htm?sSKU=BX80601920&fmlid=1

Newegg is on that list.

lzord,

i have to ask, how old are you? you really come off as being extremely young, i am talking not even legally allowed to drive young.

Anyone bench these fake processors against AMD yet? I kid :)

...and I think everyone learned something from this debacle. That's a plus in my book.

Of note - those listed as authorized resellers are also supposed to be exclusively sourcing the processors from that short list of authorized distributors....

Buying from an Intel listed reseller is supposed to protect the customer from grey market risks (non-warranty, counterfeit, stolen, etc) since the listed reseller is supposed to be buying from the listed authorized distributors where Intel protects the line. Wonder what Intel is communicating with Newegg related to their grey market blending... Can say this - if one of Intel's authorized channel distributors blended grey market with the authorized channel supply, that would be the end of them being an Intel processor source.

Here's the official list of Intel authorized distributors:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/227304.htm

The list for USA consists of ASI Corporation, D&H Distributing, Ingram Micro, Synnex Corporation and Tech Data Corporation.

You'll find you are not able to buy processors from them. That's because they are distributors. Distributors sell only to retailers. Customers buy processors from retailers.

Here's the list of Intel authorized retailers for the i7-920 (you can choose whatever other CPUs you're interested in):

http://www.intel.com/buy/desktop/boxed-processor/embedded.htm?sSKU=BX80601920&fmlid=1

Newegg is on that list.

Well, if IPEX who deals in gray market says it's not their issue, then who's problem is it then? Newegg is left holding the bag either way which puts the suspicion back on them. If D&H didn't do it and IPEX didn't do it, then who else in their distributor chain did it? And if not of them did it, then Newegg has a real problem on their hands. People who accused them of selling counterfeit CPU's would have a real claim at that point. What if there was a switch-a-roo inside their warehouse? That would be a big problem.

D&H follows the rules and is a stand up distributor. It's unfortunate a 'source within Newegg' pulled them in to this. They don't deal with or market to the public/endusers and, objectively speaking, I don't think they really knew the best way to respond.

They denied the allegations and demanded with a C&D that the story implicating them be removed as well as comments that came from the false story. This was perceived as as dis-ingenuine and as attempt to cover it all up. In hindsight - they should have issued a strong statement of innocence without the C&D... Once that genie was out of the bottle, no C&D is going to put it back in. Actually - a C&D in terms of any future statements would have been along with that too... Suggesting all references be removed - that part is what got people all riled the most against D&H.

At the end of the day - D&H did absolutely nothing wrong. What Newegg did with the other supplier isn't their business, isn't to any benefit for them - after being wrongly associated - to comment any further. They don't have any power to tell Newegg what to do in terms of the public forum any way - and, I'd not be surprised, they may be already pursuing legal action to go after Newegg or at least the employee at Newegg who falsely implicated D&H.

What if someone out there stabbed you in the back with a totally false story... with some false statement embarrassing you publicly and also causing harm, while rooting it out, to your personal family relationship? You'd no doubt issue a stern statement and cease and desist to as you vindicated yourself.

And - while you're outraged and fuming mad for having been falsely accused of something you had no knowledge or involvement remotely of - I'd bet you'd be pretty amazing frustrated when people doubted your statement of innocence.

The C&D was a little too much - but it's a sad observation that after such a statement is made, that it's still - you're guilty until you prove your innocent to our satisfaction. And that was a general sentiment of many posters here. Too much trust was put in the source.... Next time I'd bet a C&D will be given more consideration.... Consider this - if after they issued that C&D they were found to be guilty - that's some real h#ll to pay. :)

I'd be surprised if Newegg actually planted that diversion story, the way it played out and distracted/diminished from their situation couldn't have been better if they had planned it.. and if they did, well, D&H gets that - no doubt Newegg will have a real issue there. D&H can definitely demonstrate damage from this incident and a willful act to see information published to mislead the public I would think is highly actionable.

Kyle was in a tough spot.... Readers wanted Newegg to be the victim. A source identified an Intel Authorized Distributor as the culprit. The named culprit did an overly defensive knee jerk C&D&R letter - which doesn't make them bad, they were falsely accused and assumed guilty, stand in their shoes - this made it possibly easier to trust the source (wouldn't have been the first time a guilty party put out a cease and desist) and D&H suffered as a result of mainly that they tried to deal with the internet blog issue like they would have with a party sending emails or verbally slandering them.

And meanwhile... The real story - that Newegg bought/was blending grey market Intel into their retail stream, almost certainly in violation of their channel agreement with Intel, and this resulted in customers receiving these counterfeit units.

Darn straight Newegg is stepping over themselves to fix it - they couldn't have stepped in it any worse since it's their choice to have blended non-authorized product into the mix that caused this issue.

Not at all saying this has happened - but what about other grey market Intel that Newegg might have also blended and sold. Except when there is an issue and it's with someone who publishes - who's the wiser? Depending on how much savings the grey market 'intel illegal' channels offer - it's a win for Newegg even if they have to replace a few extra units now and again from warranty being denied as non-tracked, etc.

I'd certainly expect other Intel Channel resellers to benefit huge from this fiasco. Newegg didn't even have the most competitive price on these i7 920s.. they were towards the higher side of the range of vendors even. That said - If I was building a $1000 super system or... a $10,000 business server - I'd definitely be buying my processors from a source that I was 100% confident was Intel Chanel authorized and had their processors from Intel authorized channels. Up till this incident, who would have thought that this wasn't the case with Intel processors from Newegg?

Are you serious? What should D&H have done, sir? They issued a letter immediately stating that Kyle's report was completely false -- WHICH IT WAS -- and demanded that the story be taken down. D&H also issued a statement to media members that bothered to call D&H to get the whole story -- which Kyle did not do. The statement -- which isn't found anywhere on HardOCP, reads as follows:

"Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question. D&H takes this issue very seriously, as does the entire online and IT community, and we are anxious to see it resolved to the satisfaction of everyone involved. D&H has never bought anything other than genuine Intel product, sourced directly from Intel, and were very concerned that our name was inadvertently involved. We are very proud of the integrity we've built over our 92 years, and we are glad to see that the D&H name has been vindicated."

The fact is, you're wrong -- D&H did more than just send out C&D letters. And Kyle never called D&H to get their take, so how on god's green earth can you blame D&H with a stright face? What exactly do you think D&H should have done instead? And how in the world can you claim they weren't concerned about consumers? This is a respected, family-owned distributor that's been around for nearly 100 years. They have a great reputation as a trusted source of IT products, and now their name has been tarnished by an erroneous Internet story.

And lastly -- sorry, you got me fired up, nothing personal -- how in the world can you claim that Kyle is acting as a consumer advocate here, when the last story HardOCP has on this ongoing situation is Kyle's updated article/correction/tepid apology to D&H, dated Monday? The story is STILL going on, sir. Where is Kyle now? Why isn't HardOCP trying to get to the bottom of this IPEX issue? Why aren't they holding NewEgg's feet to fire about ordering chips from an apparently sketchy source like IPEX? Why isn't D&H continuing to follow this story? Where is the supposed pro-consumer, no-BS, don't-back-down attitude now?

Newegg's own statement about IPEX being the source would almost have to be based on what scan codes the units with the counterfeit issue reported had on them. They have a very sophisticated system. I'd be very surprised if they didn't know with each report - the item S/N scan or timing scan/batch - exactly where each processor being reported had come from.

Assuming this is the case... they could have issued a statement almost immediately clearing D&H, even without naming the source at that time while they investigated.

If it turns out to be an inside job - they've really stepped into it even worse. Bad people do bad things and not so much that I would think it fair to hold Newegg over the fire because of an employee theft. They are working to make the customer issue right... but... it does make the overall matter more serious +

#1 - they publicly admitted that they were a getting product from a non-authorized, gray market supply channel... which even if IPEX did send real processors doesn't lessen the issue of the ongoing risk associated with gray market processors.

#2 - they libeled and slandered IPEX too.

This on top of what customer's who got the counterfeits have to deal with and what Newegg has to do to right that.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3315

Well, if IPEX who deals in gray market says it's not their issue, then who's problem is it then? Newegg is left holding the bag either way which puts the suspicion back on them. If D&H didn't do it and IPEX didn't do it, then who else in their distributor chain did it? And if not of them did it, then Newegg has a real problem on their hands. People who accused them of selling counterfeit CPU's would have a real claim at that point. What if there was a switch-a-roo inside their warehouse? That would be a big problem.

I've yet to read through the last few pages. But I originally thought Newegg shifted the company blame from one to another (my understanding is both are the same - save one image). Of course the egg don't want to face legal issues, off course the egg doesn't want to loose a distributor. We will never know why the story changed. It changed for a reason, for which I honestly think papers had something to do with it.

Still a fucked up situation no matter how you look at it. Good story, doesn't bother me either way. I just ordered from the egg yesterday! Now if I get a tin can for a hard drive, that's a different story!

Kyle is doing a great service to all the "would-have's" buyers by informing them of the counterfeit sales. Even if he prevented only say, 50 people from buying a counterfeit CPU, he saved them from wasting their weekends or $300, or both.

I'm proud of you, Kyle. You just made the world a better place for those people by saving them the trouble.

Newegg's own statement about IPEX being the source would almost have to be based on what scan codes the units with the counterfeit issue reported had on them. They have a very sophisticated system. I'd be very surprised if they didn't know with each report - the item S/N scan or timing scan/batch - exactly where each processor being reported had come from.

Assuming this is the case... they could have issued a statement almost immediately clearing D&H, even without naming the source at that time while they investigated.

If it turns out to be an inside job - they've really stepped into it even worse. Bad people do bad things and not so much that I would think it fair to hold Newegg over the fire because of an employee theft. They are working to make the customer issue right... but... it does make the overall matter more serious +

#1 - they publicly admitted that they were a getting product from a non-authorized, gray market supply channel... which even if IPEX did send real processors doesn't lessen the issue of the ongoing risk associated with gray market processors.

#2 - they libeled and slandered IPEX too.

This on top of what customer's who got the counterfeits have to deal with and what Newegg has to do to right that.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3315

Considering Neweggs shipping operation, if there was an internal theft, then their system failed. Someone is lying and someone is covering their ass.

I don't get why there's so much speculation on whether Kyle should have named D&H. I mean D&H are a company and companies really like money. If there was anything wrong with the way Kyle handled this then I'm pretty sure D&H would take him to court for defamation.

If it turns out that D&H don't take issue with it, I have absolutely no idea why you guys are getting so worked up over it.

This thread reminds me of Portal:

"I'm still alive... still alive... still alive..."

It looks like even Kyle's now ignoring this thread...

Have not checked back here for a while, but looking at some of the last posts, I have to call this conversation done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back