Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think its kinda funny that display boxes have so many typos. The guy that made the youtube video says he tried to put it in his motherboard (thought maybe he wound up with an OEM with no heatsink? personally i woulda kept that thing far far away from the rest of my stuff) which completely destroyed the socket. Newegg is sending him a replacement motherboard too. So its not like they arent fixing problems that they didnt even personally create

I don't see how anyone could stick that in a mother board. I first thought it was a very extremely damaged CPU. All the pins are missing but you could see where they used to be. After looking at it more you can tell it's just a fake cpu.

The link says the image is too big and i can see the picture.

How do i see it!?

I think someone embedded the full size image and it eat up the bandwidth they give.

Here is a smaller version :

I'm going to watch the buyer reviews on the 920 for awhile. Someone who didn't know better may actually try to use it and post a problem. Scary thing is if it's just a hunk of metal it'll probably blow the board if they power it up.

And yes, if you read the reviews on newegg there are actually people who would think that fake cpu is real.

As for how it happened, the sticker should have never had any kind of real info on it and the box should have been marked DEMO plainly.

Yep I also got a "demo" unit. Even though this has kinda soured my weekend since I was planning on putting my new system together, I had a good laugh with the "demo" unit. lol

Second, why pick one of the least expensive CPUs ... an i7 920 ... BS!!

That brings up a good question - has anyone gotten a fake i7 other than the 920? I know most [H]'ers wouldn't buy anything other than a 920/930 though, so we'll probably never know.

Looks like newegg is sending out emails to possibly effected customers. I just got one.

Care to post the contents of that email?

Took the words right out of my mouth. This incident doesn't change what I think about NewEgg. I'd feel better now about dealing with NewEgg because they're taking every step to take care of the issue. They've acknowledged it and now they're sending out replacement orders to those affected. Far cry from deserving a shady reputation as if they told every customer who got one of these things to go fuck themselves.

Anyone who says ZOMG NEWEGG I'LL NEVER SHOP THERE AGAIN!!!1111, please... jump off a tall building and make sure you land with a handrail going up between your legs.

yup, had this been tiger direct they would have told you to fill out a form and send that in along with the cpu w/ shipping being on you. then tell you that you didn't send it back soon enough with all the data filling out on the form and charge you a 35% restocking fee.

lol.. Demo box?

with typo on it and it looks just like imported from china which doesn't even make sense for me...

This has nothing to do with NEWEGG at all.
If D&H sent them these then they are the guilty party PERIOD.

If D&H sent these then they KNOW that they got them via a "Grey Market" channel. There is NO WAY these could have slipped into their inventory by accident.

Distributers do this all the time and they can and will get in SERIOUS trouble with Intel when they find out.

Serves them right for trying to cheat the system.

I have to agree. This is not newegg's fault. Who ever they bought the items from is at fault. You also have to understand who does the packing at newegg's warehouses and its not people like us. Cut newegg some slack.

Newegg is aware of a shipping error that occurred with certain recent orders of the Intel Core i7-920 CPU. After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units. Our customer service team has already begun proactively reaching out to the affected customers. In line with our commitment to ensure total customer satisfaction, we are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue as soon as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers

Sorry, I do not buy it. They got duped!

I am blown away at this. It is unfortunate that this happened to Newegg and the end user. Glad to hear they are working everything out though.

Not believing the demo unit story though. Sounds like a "cover our ass story."

I agree it is not NewEggs fault, but people find reasons to sue for anything, don't see why this would be any different. NewEgg will be fine in the end.

This has nothing to do with NEWEGG at all.
If D&H sent them these then they are the guilty party PERIOD.

If D&H sent these then they KNOW that they got them via a "Grey Market" channel. There is NO WAY these could have slipped into their inventory by accident.

Distributers do this all the time and they can and will get in SERIOUS trouble with Intel when they find out.

Serves them right for trying to cheat the system.

I am a D&H customer, and I would bet that they didn't realize what they had, either as they would have been buying directly from Intel. I'm sure the switch happened well before the pallet ever hit the states.

Just got this from Newegg. I ordered a new 920 on the 4th of March. Demo Unit my rear end.....who do they think they are kidding? A "Demo" unit would not have a fake instruction booklet. A con would do that just for sheer weight.

Dear Valued Customer,
It's been brought to our attention that you may have received a Demo Version of the Intel Core i7 Processor you recently purchased. We would like to first and foremost apologize for any confusion this may have caused you. Please take a moment to examine the product you received thoroughly to determine if you in fact received the wrong product. The Demo Version of these CPUs were purchased between March 1, 2010 through March 4, 2010 and will have FPO/BATCH# 3938B006 printed on the product's packaging. Additionally, the Part Number on the heat sink will read CNFN936612 and there will be no wiring on the heat sink itself. If you have determined that you received the wrong product, please except our deepest apologies. To resolve this matter immediately, simply forward this email to both [email protected] and [email protected] and state which of the two following options best suit you:
Full Refund - We are more than willing to issue an RMA for a full and complete Refund.
Replacement for the Correct Product - If you are still interested in the product, we will issue an Advanced Replacement RMA to get the product to you immediately.
We would like to once again extend our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and we appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Kindest Regards.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

Last edited:
I am a D&H customer, and I would bet that they didn't realize what they had, either as they would have been buying directly from Intel. I'm sure the switch happened well before the pallet ever hit the states.

It is possible, but I would bet they were trying to sneak gray market product into their inventory. It does happen, I know it for a fact.

However, it might have been an accident. Either way it isn't Newegg's fault.

I agree it is not NewEggs fault, but people find reasons to sue for anything, don't see why this would be any different. NewEgg will be fine in the end.

It damn straight is Newegg's fault. As a quality professional, I can confidently state that Newegg has a responsibility to it's customers to not ship out faulty product. It sounds like they need a better internal and external quality audit program to catch mistakes like this either at the supplier or at their own warehouse, and definitely before they get into the hands of customers.

Newegg does in fact, source their parts from various distributors. My girlfriend works there. She said that the parts came in a lot of about 300 pieces, all of which were fake. You also have to understand that MOST of the people that work in their warehouses dont speak much English. The same kind of people that would write SOCHET on a fake CPU box. She said they got the problem taken care of. All of the fake processors were in the same shipment and have been removed from stock. Its NOT an inside job. They all came from a distributor like that....possible that its an inside job there though.....

And yet no one checked the shipment and it went out to customers. How long did this go on for? It's great they found it now, but when you couple what you've just said with the official release from Newegg's PR front, then something is wrong.

Why would they give him a free CPU for that? Makes no sense.

This is what sucks about the internet generation: they think they are entitled to everything and anything.

I'm inclined to agree, however, the cost, the time, the embarrassment alone should warrant a comp in this case. If not for the bad press from this, Newegg should be begging for this guys forgiveness since they are the last int the chain and oddly enough ended up being the weakest link. CHECK YOUR GOODS BEFORE SHIPPING!!! it's only good customer service on the front end. Protects you and your customer. am i rite?

It damn straight is Newegg's fault. As a quality professional, I can confidently state that Newegg has a responsibility to it's customers to not ship out faulty product. It sounds like they need a better internal and external quality audit program to catch mistakes like this either at the supplier or at their own warehouse, and definitely before they get into the hands of customers.

Well Newegg is going to make things right, that is clear.

If Newegg dropships product from D&H they never even handle the thing. D&H is the only one that ever sees it before you do.

I can say confidently it is D&H's fault OR Intel's.

The reason why this ABSOLUTELY doesn't even matter is because newegg is actually a reputable company and will take care of the problem instantaneously for anyone affected.

If you think this can't happen to almost ANY retailer you're wrong. How they take care of it is what to look for. If this actually scares you away from newegg you are a fool. 100% of the people affected will get real processors.

Newegg's devotion to the community that keeps them in business is not in question at all. It's how they check their own inventory to send to their customers that's in question. It's not happening or didn't happen. This is a problem. How they take care of it isn't the issue. How it began is. Then they throw this PR statement out and it stinks. Bad move.

If Newegg dropships product from D&H they never even handle the thing. D&H is the only one that ever sees it before you do.

If it's a drop ship from D&H then this is an ever bigger problem because this implies that Newegg does not have an internal audit structure in place to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen. It also shines the light on the weakness of drop shipping as a function of supply chain integrity of goods to the customer. To confidently implicate Intel as being a possible source of this issue would be foolish. If Intel actually was the source of this, I would be stunned into silence. For Newegg to make excuses and then to implicate Intel in this is not smart.

From what I have seen, D&H only drop ships large/heavy and low volume items for Newegg. Small items and high volumes are warehoused and shipped by newegg themselves. I would be more inclined to believe the liability really lies mostly with a shipping company or exporter with poor or no security. Depending on FOB terms, either D&H or Intel can then be blamed for hiring that company.

The demo box explanation seems reasonable, even for Intel. For they wouldn't want the boxes to get mistaken and passed off for the real thing. At least they're quickly identified.

The demo box explanation seems reasonable, even for Intel. For they wouldn't want the boxes to get mistaken and passed off for the real thing. At least they're quickly identified.

Do you seriously believe that Intel would have created demo boxes with atrocious spelling errors? I'm just asking.

Demo units? BS. I've seen so much Intel ES/sample/pre-release stuff that there is no way those are demo units. PR coverup, IMO! The truth is out there!

This is what happens when you grow so big and horde in tons of cheap temp workers and slave em all day. This isnt the small Newegg of old. Also did they directly ship the product or was it an external distributor?

I wonder if what NewEgg replied about the boxes being a "Demo" is true? Don't think so.
If not that's what you get for outsourcing your industry. I'd like to laugh but America keeps reminding me of late dying Rome more and more with each passing day.What are you gonna do about it?

I wonder if what NewEgg replied about the boxes being a "Demo" is true? Don't think so.
If not that's what you get for outsourcing your industry. I'd like to laugh but America keeps reminding me of late dying Rome more and more with each passing day.What are you gonna do about it?

That's right. If George Bush were still President, this mess would be his fault. But since Barack Obama is the current President, it's still George Bush's fault.

I wouldn't doubt that one of these fake CPUs was powering the computer that helped Rumsfeld and company devise their scandalous 9/11 plan.

In fact, I would place money down on a bet that not one, but TWO of these CPUs were powering the computer that spit out all of the phony global warming data (or global cooling, who really knows) that made Al Gore a rich man.

Honestly, there are more vivid and conspicuous signs of this country's troubles than a shipment of bum CPU retail boxes.

Demo units? noone goes to the trouble to put a printout of fan photo or a processor on a rectangular part or write out a whole bunch of mis-spelt text on a packaging box just for a demo unit.

Fake Fermi....

Fake CPUs....

Now what? Fake motherboards?

Oh, wait...that happened a few years ago when Taiwan put fake cache chips on Pentium boards....

That's right. If George Bush were still President, this mess would be his fault. But since Barack Obama is the current President, it's still George Bush's fault.

I wouldn't doubt that one of these fake CPUs was powering the computer that helped Rumsfeld and company devise their scandalous 9/11 plan.

In fact, I would place money down on a bet that not one, but TWO of these CPUs were powering the computer that spit out all of the phony global warming data (or global cooling, who really knows) that made Al Gore a rich man.

Honestly, there are more vivid and conspicuous signs of this country's troubles than a shipment of bum CPU retail boxes.

So that's what you're gonna do about it? Trying to make yourself look smarter by bashing on someone else. Your post is nothing than another sign of decadence. Thank you.
Please don't reply. I have a very short temper for stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back