Any Sandy Bridge m-ITX coming? Any news?

Look here http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20219

It appears P67-ITX SNB from Gigabyte coming

wow P67 mITX is coming eh.... I might buy the k series CPU with the H67 chipset then... in case I do switch motherboards when much better ones come out in the future. Also the price of between the i5 2500 and the i5 2500k in Canada is only $15.

For now.. I just want some H67 board supporting 95w processors to be on sale.. I have most of the parts here already waiting for a motherboard and CPU to hook up onto...

It appears that Gigabyte will release the H67 and P67 ITX boards at the end of the month. I hope so.

I talked to Gigabyte customer service today regarding their release dates for the upcoming GA-H67N-USB3 ITX board. Here is the response that I received:

Dear Customer,

This model has begun shipping to dealers this week. You should expect to see them at the retail level within the next few weeks.

Thank you for choosing Gigabyte products

Oh yeah baby!! That's good to hear..... I'm not even gonna try dreaming about the p67.... just the H67 will be cool..!!

im interested in the p67 gigabyte, hopefully youll be able to fit a h50 on it w/o having to mod the back plate.

Love Gigabyte :)

Will be weating for that P67 ITX board.

Then i will build a sandybridge watercoled computer in my SG07 case (cpu+gpu cooling).

Good to know that the H67 can overclock as well.... even with a mediocre overclock this is amazing...

Then there isn't really a need for P67 is there? (unless you plan for a more aggressive overclock.

The H67 can not really overclock. You can just increase the frequency about 3 to 5 %, risking an unstable system. But you can not change the multiplier of the CPU with a H67 board, which is the way a Sandy Bridge CPU needs to be overclocked.

regards mariachi76

@mariachi76

Look at the link provided by seanclayton (a few posts up) to a review of Gigabyte's H67MA-UD2H motherboard (ATX) done by funkykit.com (link here as well).

Quote from the conclusion
The Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H came with a BIOS that only offered limited options for overclocking. However, we managed to mildly overclock the Core i7-2600K from the default of 3.4Ghz to 3.7Ghz. I guess this motherboard wasn't meant to be designed for heavy overclocking ... still, it does has some basic options in the BIOS if you wanted to give it a go.

True, but if you look at the screenshots, you will see that he achieved that overclock by upping the BCLK to 106, with an unchanged multiplier.

True, but if you look at the screenshots, you will see that he achieved that overclock by upping the BCLK to 106, with an unchanged multiplier.

Thats what I am saying. You can only increase BCLK, but this affects all the system (Memory, PCIe...) and you will run into stability issues very soon.
With multiplier changes, an i7-2600K would go up to 5.0 GHz with appropriate air cooling.
However, H67 does not support multiplier changes.

regards
mariachi76

Thanks, I mistakenly thought that Gigabyte had changed the BIOS settings to allow for multiplier changes. Thanks for the correction.

Thats what I am saying. You can only increase BCLK, but this affects all the system (Memory, PCIe...) and you will run into stability issues very soon.
With multiplier changes, an i7-2600K would go up to 5.0 GHz with appropriate air cooling.
However, H67 does not support multiplier changes.

regards
mariachi76

Memory is not really a big deal. PCIe yes of course. I don't see the point of adding 1 or 2 extra mhz to the BCLK it's pointless considering the freedom multiplier gives (not having to deal with memory dividers, etc).

Still I'm guessing the next iteration will give once again users control over the BCLK

I hope Gigabyte adds a mini-PCIe slot on their ITX board like Zotac does. I have a mini-PCIe USB3.0 card that I'd like to use for my case's front USB3.0 ports.

Gigabyte think already has a USB 3 Header on the motherboard. I want them to have a mini PCIe for wireless. Since the board doesnt have it now, I am not going to count on it.

I'll take some pics and post some impressions on the foxconn when it is delivered tomorrow. I'll be using it till the gigabyte p67 itx is available, assuming it's not a piece of junk.

I have read the manual that accompanies the Foxconn H67S, and am in the process of assembling the build. I had to buy longer Sata cables than those provided with the board because of the somewhat unusual placement of the Sata headers near the bottom of the board. If not for this, I would have finished last night.

The manual and box both state "unlimited multiplier overclocking" but I'll believe it when I see it. Pics to follow later today.

I have read the manual that accompanies the Foxconn H67S, and am in the process of assembling the build. I had to buy longer Sata cables than those provided with the board because of the somewhat unusual placement of the Sata headers near the bottom of the board. If not for this, I would have finished last night.

The manual and box both state "unlimited multiplier overclocking" but I'll believe it when I see it. Pics to follow later today.

I like the layout on that board, the CPU socket isn't too close to the GPU slot. The price is also very attractive, If it can OC then that's just icing on the cake.

Let us know on that overclocking claim. I seriously doubt it, considering no desktop H67 boards have multiplier adjustment, AFAIK.

OK, after a day of assembly and testing, my build with the Foxconn H67 is done. As feared, the board does not appear to allow straight multiplier adjustment. You can change the max turbo up to whatever you want, but this does not appear to have any effect. All references on the box and manual to overclocking appear to be the same as in other foxconn manuals, so this is probably just a cut-paste manual chapter. I can't get my 1333CL9 memory to post at that speed, because there is no place in the bios to adust memory speeds or timings. However, it is running at 1067 CL7 so the real world difference is slim.

Also, the board comes with overclocking software called "Fox One" that doesn't do anything, and doesn't appear to report correct CPU temps. The temps reported in FoxOne are much lower than those reported by BIOS and RealTemp.

Aside from the lack of OC features, this little board seems nice. It has allowed me to build one sweet little machine. I only have 3 total SATA devices, so the small number of SATA ports on board is not a problem for me, although it might be for some. Also, no USB3 or WIFI, but others have already pointed this out.

So far my highest CPU temps are 57C after 1 hour of prime, with system temps of 50C. Still tweaking, but the system seems very stable.

Thanks for the impressions.. Would it be possible to provide some pictures? That would be nice...

So it sounds like the Foxconn mini ITX $75 board is pretty good..... I just wish it had USB3 and wifi... but I guess at that price, it's already pretty good..

I'd love to hear how an install of ubuntu would go on the FoxConn. XD I know the h55 chipset had issues with the HDMI and audio using it.

Gaming is good... I am coming from a 2.2GHz core 2 duo, so this is a serious step up. I am playing Civ5, Fallout New Vegas, and a few others, on 1900x1200 with no issues.

Somebody asked for pics, so here is what I managed during assembly:

PC03.jpg

Just the box, because the manual wasn't all that helpful.

PC02.jpg

The board in my PC, mostly assembled

PC01.jpg

Almost done...

The hardest part by far was setting up the corsair H50 in such a small case (That's the Q11) with a push-pull. I used a Scythe slim for the pull after the last pic was taken. It barely fits and the processor runs at 50c full load.

Last edited:
Very nice rig you got there, madthio. So the front fan intakes into the case?

Thanks! Yes, the push is the stock Lian Li fan at 140mm, and the pull is the Scythe slim. Both are bringing air into the case from the front. The main reason for adding the second pull fan was to bring down the system temps... the cpu temps were already low.

I am not a huge fan of the stock heatsink on the Foxconn H67S, but I could always swap it with an active cooled northbridge heatsink if I really needed to. The fans on the H50 are both hooked up to the motherboard fan headers.

Madthio, any chance you can see if a standard ATX PSU (150mm depth plus cables) would fit with the H50?

I see that Asus mb uses laptop type memory. Isn't this a disadvantage (price and over-clocking performance wise)?

That Asus board is nice. Too bad they used a half mini-PCIe slot instead of a full one. The So-DIMM slots are unfortunate as well.

I see that Asus mb uses laptop type memory. Isn't this a disadvantage (price and over-clocking performance wise)?

I don't really see it being a disadvantage on price. If the speeds were greater than 1333, I'd imagine there would be a discrepancy. At the most, you might pay a few dollars more for the SO-DIMMs.

As far as overclocking -- I have no idea, but I don't think it would be a big drawback since most people would purchase an ITX motherboard for a small server or media center and not for gaming.

Back