Any Sandy Bridge m-ITX coming? Any news?

hey sff guys, just saw this tonight when browsing newegg. never heard of giada, and certainly wouldnt buy from them til i at least learned a bit about the company, but i noticed that they put a mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the mobo which i thought was really cool. hopefully some other manufacturers see this and follow suit. it would be nice to have a slot for an SSD in addition to 4xHDDs, or maybe a wireless adapter.

hey sff guys, just saw this tonight when browsing newegg. never heard of giada, and certainly wouldnt buy from them til i at least learned a bit about the company, but i noticed that they put a mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the mobo which i thought was really cool. hopefully some other manufacturers see this and follow suit. it would be nice to have a slot for an SSD in addition to 4xHDDs, or maybe a wireless adapter.

its been pointed out before & its not sandy bridge..

It's not underneath the board, but Zotac puts Mini PCIe slots on their boards too.

It's not underneath the board, but Zotac puts Mini PCIe slots on their boards too.

yeah and i think the ECS board has one too. but some people say that having a mini pci-e slot makes the board to crowded so they have to put the cpu in a weird spot, or leave out some extra features. but if it becomes standard practice to put one on the bottom of the board, then that could mean we could get some more normal cpu placement and more features. ;)

zotac h55itx-a-e/c-e have mini-pcie and their cpus are in the best place possible out of the h55 boards.

being on the bottom of the board might make it a bit difficult for me to hook in my MPX-3132 :D

Looks like Gigabyte started to shipp fixed boards.

http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=991

So hope the ITX board with P67 is out soon :)

definitely good news, But I wonder what the likely hood that they will be in short supply is.. Gigabyte may just be trying to beat everyone to the market. I Just question whether they have the supply already. I Guess we will know in a couple days. Because if they are ready then Asus has to be about there as well.

Well, the official estimate was as late as April before the P6 supply line was full again(this means OEM manufacturers and stores). If they can do it sooner so much the better. I can imagine Intel is madly cranking the chipsets out as fast as possible.

I can imagine Intel is madly cranking the chipsets out as fast as possible.

Oh For sure.. They dont know what bulldozer is going to offer & this recall is setting up there prime sales period to be right about the same time anticipation for bulldozer peaks.

Looks like we are on the verge of several of these motherboards being released (after the Cougar Point fiasco). Figure it's time to get this one back on the front page since there is so much good info consolidated here.

Zotac announced that their mini itx boards are being shipped this week. ASRock informed me that their boards whould be at Newegg sometime in the next week and ASUS says theirs should be available by the end of the month. Good times are a coming!

wow, $40 more for a mini pci slot and a wifi card? pass.

The mini-pcie slot adds alot more to the board. They have TV tuners, wifi cards, USB3.0 cards, etc. for those slots. That was the only thing missing from the Gigabyte H55N I had before. I probably would have stuck with that board if it had one.

The WiFi version also adds a remote control with a USB IR receiver for it as well. Not sure how much that adds on to the price, but it may be a nice feature for those wanting to make an HTPC with this board.

You can see diagrams/descriptions of the remote at this link if you scroll down a little bit. http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=H67M-ITX/HT

Last edited:
The mini-pcie slot adds alot more to the board. They have TV tuners, wifi cards, USB3.0 cards, etc. for those slots. That was the only thing missing from the Gigabyte H55N I had before. I probably would have stuck with that board if it had one.

that wifi slot looks like the one on the E35M1-I Deluxe, so without seeing the pinout, it might not be quite as versatile as if it were a full (51mm) length card (like on the zotac boards).

meh. i can stream netflix and 720p AVIs and torrent at 1.5mbps+ regularly on my $10 wireless N mini usb adapter. i feel like adding the slot costs about $.50 and adding the card maybe about $10. didnt know about the IR receiver and remote though, those might make it worth it if theyre pretty easy to use/program and work well. as for other add-in cards, theyll have to be half-length which severely limits your options.

anyone know of any good low-profile coolers for these boards? that new socket placement they all seem to be using look super close to both the gpu and ram slots. would the samuel 17 fit? others? im pretty sure my axp-140 wont.

Many of the current mITX boards are able to use the Scythe Shuriken Rev B. (100mm) for cooling.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185097

In some of those setups (think the Gigabyte 1156 mITX board), the cooler comes right up next to the graphics card or even touches it. Most don't seem to have any issue with the Shuriken and the memory slots, so long as the memory doesn't have heat spreaders that stick up. That said, I think I would be tempted to use some of the Samsung very low profile (VLP) memory just to give extra breathing room between the cooler and the memory. The 4 GB VLP memory is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147066

I think we may just have to wait and see if some people are able to use the Shuriken Rev. B in these different boards. I imagine it will be relatively close on several of them.

just by eyeballing it, the sammy should fit -- you'd have to install it so the heatpipes are on the PCI-card side and your fan would overhang the ram slots (so no huge heat spreaders)

Many of the current mITX boards are able to use the Scythe Shuriken Rev B. (100mm) for cooling.

In some of those setups (think the Gigabyte 1156 mITX board), the cooler comes right up next to the graphics card or even touches it. Most don't seem to have any issue with the Shuriken and the memory slots, so long as the memory doesn't have heat spreaders that stick up. That said, I think I would be tempted to use some of the Samsung very low profile (VLP) memory just to give extra breathing room between the cooler and the memory. The 4 GB VLP memory is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147066

I think we may just have to wait and see if some people are able to use the Shuriken Rev. B in these different boards. I imagine it will be relatively close on several of them.

that might fit if youre using onboard graphics, but for anyone planning a SFF gaming rig with a dedicated gpu, there just arent many to choose from. it doesnt look like the shuriken would fit either. it would need to be either really small, or really offset from the base to fit. i hat that they chose this socket placement for 1155. so dumb.

Yeah, Shuriken will do the job. How about Big Shuriken ,NH-C14 and AXP-140? Will they fit?

Last edited:
wow, $40 more for a mini pci slot and a wifi card? pass.

If you want WiFi, thats actually a pretty good deal. Price a mini PCIe wifi card, antennas, and then fab an antenna bracket and $40 is less money and aggravation. Now, if you dont want WiFi, definitely save the money. And the standard one still has the mini PCIe slot, just unpopulated.

If you want WiFi, thats actually a pretty good deal. Price a mini PCIe wifi card, antennas, and then fab an antenna bracket and $40 is less money and aggravation. Now, if you dont want WiFi, definitely save the money. And the standard one still has the mini PCIe slot, just unpopulated.

i dont think it does. if you look at the link guoinc posted, there doesnt look to be a mini-pci slot there. it also doesnt list one under "expansion slots" on the newegg details page, whereas the wifi one does. :/

Any suggestions for a decent (quiet) HSF that would fit on the ASRock board along with a graphics card in the PCIe slot. I was thinking maybe something like the Scythe Samurai ZZ CPU but this might limit the SFF case options, I was hoping to go with something like the Lian-Li Q11. The Corsair H50 might work but it's a bit pricy.

I'm hoping to build a Core i5 Sandy Bridge SFF.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I just got the ASRock H67M-ITX this morning, any measurements you guys want me to take?

Back