Any Sandy Bridge m-ITX coming? Any news?

phinix

Gawd
I didn't see anything but were there any news about Sandy Bridge mITX mobos?
Any roumors? Anything?

Would be fantastic to have mITX with SATA3 and USB3...

I'm sure at some point there will be but until like yesterday Intel was planning on releasing it in 2011. Now it'll be "before the end of the year" but I highly doubt there are any solid plans on mini ITX yet....

Shouldn't be any problem making mITX mobo but so far i haven't seen any. They will probably be quite late compared to mATX

lol, Sandy Bridge just taped out... but yeah, based upon the idea/purpose of the system and the trend towards smaller form factor systems, we'll probably see mITX systems (again, as noted by Michaelius, probably after the uATX versions) at some point.

Any pool on the first mobo manuf. to make them? My guess is on Intel, but closely followed by Zotac.

You know, I had the same thought, should I go i3 OR wait for 1155 socket?

Look how long it took gigabyte to come out with this board that, IMO, is the only board worth buying. DFI is dead, so unfortunately, we don't have that option.

I won't be before this time next year that we'll probably get a an 1155 socket mini itx that's on the same level as what's currently on the market. If you can wait 12 months, be my guest.

Currently 1156 boards have USB 3.0. Unless you have a real need for sata 6.0, what's the big deal?

No one has a need for 6Gbps in SATA yet. I don't know of any disks that tap out the SATA bandwidth, and port multiplying would even have a hard time tapping it out.

I won't be before this time next year that we'll probably get a an 1155 socket mini itx that's on the same level as what's currently on the market. If you can wait 12 months, be my guest.

Ugh, I hope not. mITX has been on the up-and-up for the last few years. With 775 mITX was almost impossible to find, now with 1156 even the big names like Giagabyte are getting into the action. With any luck 1155 will see support around launch time from all the big names, including Asus and MSI. It's kind of like watching uATX taking off all over again.

I very much so hope these companies find mini itx hot and plan to make boards.

Seems to me ATX & mATX will be out first, followed by intel reference design for mini itx.

Remember, H55 did not come out at the same time x58 and p55 were released.....

Sigh... I hope someday, with every thing being incorporated into the mobo, that mATX becomes the main focus for companies. So few people really need quad gpu's..

Sigh... I hope someday, with every thing being incorporated into the mobo, that mATX becomes the main focus for companies. So few people really need quad gpu's..

not to mention you can run quad GPUs on uATX with dual 5970's :D

Problem with CF or SLI on uATX is you lose sound card (or limit yourself to external ones)

Problem with CF or SLI on uATX is you lose sound card (or limit yourself to external ones)

Meh. Vista and 7 don't do hardware accelerations of DirectSound anyhow, it's all handled in software. Could be a problem if you're doing OpenAL or something though.

Ok, so far I have found that Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock and ECS are all making mini ITX boards. At least 2 of them are using full size DIMMs. Asus is using SO DIMMS and havent found a pic of the Gigabyte, only statements saying they are building one. Theres another thread for the Asus, so here's what I found on ASRock and ECS

http://www.hypergearmag.com/events/...ml&template=HyperGear - Content View - Tablet

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/hardware/31843/asrock-reveals-its-lga-1155-motherboard-line

Gotta scroll down to the ITX offerings. The ECS one looks sharp.

35w TDP, nom nom nom :D

now to see who will make the first nano-itx board for my in-dash carputer, lol :D

Careful as even though upcoming gigabyte boards are labelled as usb 3 and sata 6g even though they are mostly full of stupid usb 2 & sata 3g ports. After owning a system with a mixture of usb 1 & 2 I never again wish to deal with a bastardized system like that because years down the road it creates too many attachment issues. I'll be looking for the first mobo to offer at minimum:

mini-itx form factor
socket 1155
>2TB hard drive support
3 or more usb 3 ports, no usb2 ports period
2 or more sata 6g ports, no sata 3g ports period
some way to add a firewire port

and would be nice, but not required:

pci express 3.0
full size ddr3 dimms
no ps2 ports so i know bios can be entered using a usb keyboard

IDK, seems that every system has some mix of old/new configurations. Admittedly I am a little unsure of current firewire specs, but since I dont have any firewire stuff eh. Wasnt aware that 2TB was a limit. Again, I dont have any storage that large. Heck all my storage added up doesnt equal 2TB :) Did any board come with only usb 2? Anyhow, just questions not criticism of your wants/needs.

Me, I like the Asus and ASRock boards-mostly due to WiFi. Undecided on wether full size DIMMs make a difference as that is the only thin I see different between them so far.

Yeah, I like that one too. BTW I found the link to the Gigabyte ITX. It also looks to be using full DIMMs

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/09/15/sandy-bridge-motherboard-photo-preview/1

Looks like I will need to decide on a which motherboard and have some money saved up to spend on Jan 9th! Currently debating between the Asus and the ASRock as they have WiFi.

bad source...

First board: Gigabyte LGA1155 ATX
Second board: Intel LGA1155 ATX
Third board: Intel LGA1155 mITX

No Gigabyte LGA1155 mITX anywhere to be seen!

bad source...

First board: Gigabyte LGA1155 ATX
Second board: Intel LGA1155 ATX
Third board: Intel LGA1155 mITX

No Gigabyte LGA1155 mITX anywhere to be seen!

Since the text at the top of the page said showing off Gigabyte LGA1155 motherboards I made the assumption they were all made by Gigabyte. So maybe yes, maybe no.

Since the text at the top of the page said showing off Gigabyte LGA1155 motherboards I made the assumption they were all made by Gigabyte. So maybe yes, maybe no.

maybe no? The thing has Intel plastered all over it (and litterally silkscreened, too...). It's the Intel reference board (mITX).

I went back and looked closely a the pic and the print. I need to read slower. Article states its an Intel board. I change my post. 4 boards, 3 with full DIMMS. Intel, ECS, ASRock, and Asus with SO DIMMs.

Just when I thought I was perfect :D

I honestly dont get what the big deal is about sodimm or regular dimm.. its not like it used to be where you had to pay a large premium for sodimms. There barely if at all more expensive now.

There's no big deal to me, but i'd rather not have to swap if possible! :p

There's no big deal to me, but i'd rather not have to swap if possible! :p

lol.. I have more sodimm in my house then I do regular.. Infact the only regular left is in my WHS with a phenom 9150e.. When that gets upgraded its going to a matching Asus M4A88t-i (same as my desktop) & a Athlon x4 610e which uses sodimm & at that point every system in my house will be on sodimm. (though my wifes netbook uses ddr2 sodimm).

Only reason I even mention DIMMS vs SODIMMS is so any people complaining about SODIMMS. I am going to have to buy either way and the diff is only about $5 (maybe) I can get faster DIMMS, but price goes up pretty fast and makes little difference in real operation. SODIMMs would draw less power I would guess.

Only reason I even mention DIMMS vs SODIMMS is so any people complaining about SODIMMS. I am going to have to buy either way and the diff is only about $5 (maybe) I can get faster DIMMS, but price goes up pretty fast and makes little difference in real operation. SODIMMs would draw less power I would guess.

genreally less power I believe.. As for speed.. I have a 2x2gb kit of 1866mhz Kingston hyper X Sodimm in my main rig now. I dont think I will find a CPU that will support an over-clock enough to tax this ram.

I'm sure there will be many of them :) 35W and 65W will make awesome HTPCs !

However, the ATX version has to come out first, being that's where the money is at and the engineers focus their attention first. The lessons learned help with shrinking it down too.

Just found this. While there isnt any pics, it does confirm that Gigabyte is going to build a LGA1155 mini ITX motherboard. Hope someone shows it off soon!

http://www.itxgamer.com/news/gigabyte-asrock-ecs/
I found this on a Swedish website. Not many new details, but it does show the first pictures of the Gigabyte ITX for Sandy Bridge. They are calling it the GA-H67N-USB3.

http://mikrodatorn.idg.se/2.1030/1.358523/litet-format-kommer-att-bli-stort-med-sandy-bridge

The Google Translation is here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=http://mikrodatorn.idg.se/2.1030/1.358523/litet-format-kommer-att-bli-stort-med-sandy-bridge&ei=L_0ETdjWAdWfnwf3wenlDQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dga-h67n%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADRA_enUS346US347%26prmd%3Divb

They do indeed show a picture of it. It looks just like the 1156 board, except it says right on it 1155. I didnt see wifi on it though. Still cool that there will be so many options

Looks like Asus is going to be the only one that offers all that. ASRock misses the USB 3.0 and the rest miss out on wifi. (Not sure who has/doesnt have bluetooth) If I go Sandy Bridge I will get the Asus board.
And since SB has a pretty damn fast cpu with low heat, its looking more and more like thats what I'll get.

And since SB has a pretty damn fast cpu with low heat, its looking more and more like thats what I'll get

From what i make of the rumors, is that SB has a 20% improvement from the i7 roughly meaning that a SB @ 3,0 ghz is same shit as a i7 @ 3,6 ghz. thats just awsome :)

but the whole deal becomes crazy when U look at the table and spotting a core i5-2500t with a TDP @ amazing 45W and a turbo clock @ 3,3ghz. after the rumors this one should preform as a i7 @ 3,95 and this only at 45W and a price of 216 usd.

IfI ever becama a Diety and made a m-ITX cpu this would be the one, :D

But we gonna know for sure in 3 weeks.

Just a heads up:
Currently, Intel P55 and H55 boards support overclocking. Unfortunately, the next generation H67 will not support overclocking. So, if you need to overclock, you would have to go for discrete solution, the P67.

> Source

Last edited:
Back