Any happy 4080 owners here?

My only months old 4080 FE died over the weekend. :( There were no indications of any problems. It just stopped working on Saturday after a few hours playing Ashen and Metro Exodus. I've never had an FE before. How's Nvidia's warranty service?

Haven't sold my EVGA 3080, yet, so I'm still able to use my computer until I get back the 4080.
Sucks to hear. I have not had a card fail in a lllooongg time so can't say anything to how nVidia will respond but hopefully it's responsive. Anything you can point to that might've caused the card to 'break'? Were you pushing beyond stock at all?

Sucks to hear. I have not had a card fail in a lllooongg time so can't say anything to how nVidia will respond but hopefully it's responsive. Anything you can point to that might've caused the card to 'break'? Were you pushing beyond stock at all?
Yeah, I can't remember the last time I had a GPU fail on me, either. Nothing seemed wrong until it just went silent about 2+ hours into a game. I'm not an overclocker and have everything set at stock levels. Already on its way back to Nvidia, so we'll see what happens. The rep I text chatted with said they'd most likely just send me a new one since mine is less than 90 days old.

You do with most mfg's, so probably?
Yeah but that box is massive so I imagine that's got to cost a shit ton of money to ship. When I picked mine up from Best Buy it was still in the shipping box that comes from Nvidia and it's just comically large.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I had a GPU fail on me, either. Nothing seemed wrong until it just went silent about 2+ hours into a game. I'm not an overclocker and have everything set at stock levels. Already on its way back to Nvidia, so we'll see what happens. The rep I text chatted with said they'd most likely just send me a new one since mine is less than 90 days old.
Well they have plenty of 4080 cards so turnaround should be instant.

$37 USPS + insurance. :eek:

Wow they actually made you pay? When I RMA'ed my 2080 Ti they provided a pre paid FedEx shipping label.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215_164323_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230215_164323_Gmail.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1
Wow they actually made you pay? When I RMA'ed my 2080 Ti they provided a pre paid FedEx shipping label.
I'm surprised they paid for yours... Seems unusual in my rma experiences with companies.

EDIT: I'm talking about to them, not from.

I'm surprised they paid for yours... Seems unusual in my rma experiences with companies.

EDIT: I'm talking about to them, not from.

This was back in 2018 so I guess times have changed lol. I wouldn't expect the same thing if I RMA'ed today.

I have an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra...any point in upgrading to a 4080 16GB?...I have a 1440p G-Sync monitor...the only reason I'm considering it is because of the 16GB VRAM...or is it better to wait for the inevitable 4080Ti?

I have an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra...any point in upgrading to a 4080 16GB?...I have a 1440p G-Sync monitor...the only reason I'm considering it is because of the 16GB VRAM...or is it better to wait for the inevitable 4080Ti?
If you have to ask others if you should upgrade your GPU then the answer is no. And also even though your CPU is certainly fast, at only 1440p you're not going to get full use out of a 4080 never mind a 4080 TI. I have a faster CPU than you and at only 1440p there are games where I cannot fully push even a 3080 TI.

Last edited:
Unless there are a bunch of games you're playing that are memory limited I don't see the point of buying the worst value card nvidia currently offers.

Unless there are a bunch of games you're playing that are memory limited I don't see the point of buying the worst value card nvidia currently offers.

Hogwarts Legacy and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 Overdrive advanced RT patch is what got me thinking about upgrading my 3080

If I were in your position, I'd just skip this generation and wait for Blackwell and RDNA 4, especially with NVIDIA's pricing right now. The 3080 is a very competent GPU, especially with a 1440p monitor and no mention of unoptimized VR games.

Yes, PC games are suddenly getting a hell of a lot more demanding this year, but not so much that a high-end Ampere card like a 3080 couldn't handle it if you're willing to just dial the details back a bit. Coming from that, you might as well plunk down $400 more for the 4090 and its 24 GB of VRAM, assuming it's not actually $450-500 more with MSRP cards rarely being available.

If I were in your position, I'd just skip this generation and wait for Blackwell and RDNA 4, especially with NVIDIA's pricing right now. The 3080 is a very competent GPU, especially with a 1440p monitor and no mention of unoptimized VR games.

Yes, PC games are suddenly getting a hell of a lot more demanding this year, but not so much that a high-end Ampere card like a 3080 couldn't handle it if you're willing to just dial the details back a bit. Coming from that, you might as well plunk down $400 more for the 4090 and its 24 GB of VRAM, assuming it's not actually $450-500 more with MSRP cards rarely being available.

agreed...I don't like the pricing on the 4080 16GB or the 4090...I was looking at 3090 Ti prices and they are even crazier than the 4000 series pricing

agreed...I don't like the pricing on the 4080 16GB or the 4090...I was looking at 3090 Ti prices and they are even crazier than the 4000 series pricing
3090s of any sort shouldn't even cost more than $800 used right now when a 4090 is literally double the performance at $1,600 MSRP. I'm not sure what the retailers are thinking by refusing to just fire sale those when you could spend just a bit more and get a 4080.

The only justification I see is that those older Ampere cards still have 24 GB of VRAM, and that probably matters more than relative tensor core performance to the AI/ML crowd with the sizeable datasets that they're working with. (Why aren't they buying RX 7900 XTXs instead, other than availability? CUDA. Gotta love that vendor lock-in.)

Other than that, the 4080 is still a noticeable step up over Ampere's best for raw GPU performance. There's no reason to buy last-gen cards at this point unless you're getting them really cheap, because NVIDIA sure isn't dropping Ampere MSRPs right now in the hopes that you'll settle for them and clear out their stock with the Ada Lovelace cards being so expensive.

They're also probably banking on suckering people like me who kept the same old GTX 980 for seven years and got tired of waiting for a worthy GPU upgrade at a reasonable price. You're fortunate to not be in that position.

I just bought a 4080 FE for my kid’s eGPU for her surface pro 8.

I’ll have to bench it and see how constrained thunderbolt 3 is.

Her 1080ti just died and I wanted a FE. Didn’t see that option for the 4070ti.

So it basically boils down to this:

If ya wanna play, ya gotzta pay.....

'nuff said :D

But yes I think all the new cards are considerably overpriced, that's why I refuse to buy any of them, and will be sticking with my 3080 for the foreseeable future :D

I just bought a 4080 FE for my kid’s eGPU for her surface pro 8.

I’ll have to bench it and see how constrained thunderbolt 3 is.

Her 1080ti just died and I wanted a FE. Didn’t see that option for the 4070ti.

Ended up putting my 3080 in my kid’s eGPU and the time spy is about 9,000.

4080 in my main rig is 24,741. FE is super quiet. I figure I’ll be set until it dies, hopefully in a decade, with my 3440 21:9. Maxes around 58C.

Also holy crap is it heavy, the shipping box was 17 lbs!! Lol. At least it *feels* expensive.

Also the 3080 was a noticeable upgrade over the 1080ti even over thunderbolt3.

I finally upgraded my Asus strix 2080ti OC to an MSI 4080 16G Gaming X Trio... I looked at the 4090 but I was already dropping chunks o change all over this card seemed to fit my upgrade path well and isn't too power crazy... my real plan was to just upgrade my platform to z690/z790 and raptor lake and a new LG C2 42" display but none of the DP to HDMI adapters/cables I looked at for 120hz 4k seemed to work consistently well.. So I said screw it and got a native hdmi 2.1 gpu.. four years later it's pretty much what I spent on my 2080ti in 2019 (which I should be able to get about 400 bucks for on ebay)... So far the card runs quiet and cool. It's a BEAST too... 3 slots.. Not too much RGB stuff all over it.. Just the MSI logo and three slashes across the side.. like a claw swipe or something. I haven't tried OCing anything at all yet.. It does have micron memory onboard.

Last edited:
I played Diablo 4 all weekend at 4k with everything maxed out ... no issues... system ran pretty cool too... cpu in the 50s and gpu in the 60s and 70s max. I have no overclocks... my card is switched to the "gaming" bios profile. (little switch on the top of the gaming x trio). Just changes the fan profile a little. This card runs dead silent. My system fans are all I hear..

also been playing Sons of the Forrest and Generation Zero 4k maxed and this card is slicing things up.. pretty happy with it!

Yeah the 4080 is a good gpu its just priced badly. Which seems to be a common problem with all of nVidia's cards these days. They are all way over expensive in my opinion but it is what it is unfortunately.
Amd cards are priced high too, just not as ridiculously high. At least, I think the price is ridiculously high for both Nvidia and AMD - in my country, especially. As for waiting for next gen?: do you think Nvidia will suddenly see the error of their ways and have a heard and now it'll be Xmas all year round for their next gen cards? No. Waiting for next gen means prices go higher again unless you're waiting for discounts for these gen cards or will buy it used when gamers move on to the 'next latest and greatest.' What year will that be?

Amd cards are priced high too, just not as ridiculously high. At least, I think the price is ridiculously high for both Nvidia and AMD - in my country, especially. As for waiting for next gen?: do you think Nvidia will suddenly see the error of their ways and have a heard and now it'll be Xmas all year round for their next gen cards? No. Waiting for next gen means prices go higher again unless you're waiting for discounts for these gen cards or will buy it used when gamers move on to the 'next latest and greatest.' What year will that be?

A lot of people gloss over it but cards become more expensive to make each generation due to complexity. The cost of designing them goes up. The cost of making the GPU die on new nodes goes up. Then look at the PCB of an RTX 4080 and then go back and look at an GTX 8800, or 6800 Ultra or Geforce4 4600ti and it's easy to see why things are constantly going up.

Progress means more cost at the end of the day and there is no way around that. If you want cheaper GPUs what you really want is no improvements at all on performance but just taking the current, or better yet older, products and refining them. But people don't want that, so they scream "more and better graphics" and then pitch a fit when the cost goes up despite them asking for something that will drive up the cost!

A lot of people gloss over it but cards become more expensive to make each generation due to complexity. The cost of designing them goes up. The cost of making the GPU die on new nodes goes up. Then look at the PCB of an RTX 4080 and then go back and look at an GTX 8800, or 6800 Ultra or Geforce4 4600ti and it's easy to see why things are constantly going up.

Progress means more cost at the end of the day and there is no way around that. If you want cheaper GPUs what you really want is no improvements at all on performance but just taking the current, or better yet older, products and refining them. But people don't want that, so they scream "more and better graphics" and then pitch a fit when the cost goes up despite them asking for something that will drive up the cost!
I think there is some merit to this argument but it simply doesn't make much sense when nvidia can sell the 3080 at ~$800 and now one gen later the 4080 costs ~$400 more.

I think there is some merit to this argument but it simply doesn't make much sense when nvidia can sell the 3080 at ~$800 and now one gen later the 4080 costs ~$400 more.
I agree to some level, but at another level what I'll keep bringing up is that very few people actually got 3080's 3090's, etc, at Nvidia's release MSRP. Most got their 3080's closer to $1k, and most got their 3090 closer to $1800.

I agree to some level, but at another level what I'll keep bringing up is that very few people actually got 3080's 3090's, etc, at Nvidia's release MSRP. Most got their 3080's closer to $1k, and most got their 3090 closer to $1800.
That doesn't matter though. Nvidia didn't see extra money from those mark-ups. I'd say they were butthurt about that and that's why we really have these inflated prices. The problem is there's no current crypto craze so they're not flying off the shelves.

That doesn't matter though. Nvidia didn't see extra money from those mark-ups. I'd say they were butthurt about that and that's why we really have these inflated prices. The problem is there's no current crypto craze so they're not flying off the shelves.
Things aren't flying off the shelves because too many people don't have the disposable income they used to have, and CC is getting maxed out. Not to say that price creep isn't driving some away, but lack of spending money because of the cost of groceries, cars, gas, electricity, rent and others going way up is certainly a factor.

I don't agree at all. These companies are always trying to make their parts for the cheapest costs possible - they reuse coolers on multiple cards and they've made a huge profit - since Crypto - when they were overpriced for practically a year.

Maybe you work for Nvdia or AMD or you don't understand inflation - and price gouging - what these companies do - they are greedy and they have inflated prices and all the retail supplies (Amazon etc.), all of them are 'in on it,' too. Look at 3rd party sellers - what they are charging for cards? They hope some wealthy sucker who doesn't research or check all the outlets, will just pick one up for these crazy prices.

The cost of designing them haven't gone up - compared to their *revenues/profits* - they produce them - for the most part in similar/same factories. Also, the demand has helped in affording those costs as well.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
Things aren't flying off the shelves because too many people don't have the disposable income they used to have, and CC is getting maxed out. Not to say that price creep isn't driving some away, but lack of spending money because of the cost of groceries, cars, gas, electricity, rent and others going way up is certainly a factor.
If they were struggling to make profits, they would reduce the price - since, they're 'not flying off the shelves.' But, they don't.

Edit: Sorry, I went off topic - sorta. I think there's a lot of satisfied 4080 card owners - despite my critique for the companies (AMD & Nvidia), the 40 series seem like good cards despite the problems at the start? They are power efficient and perform well - whether they do for the price/performance, is up for debate? Nvidia has more $$ than AMD - so, Nvidia is often competitive when it comes to gaming but also the top performers for Compute and video editing - when I compare to Blender or programs like Davinci Resolve/Premier Pro - the 4080 and above - are at the top of the charts and AMD has a long way to go - unfortunately. So, for a 'can do everything card' - the 4080 is tough to beat, as far as I can see.

It's a very simple yes or no. Is a $1598 4080 an equally good card as a $1000 4080? Yes or no?
For some people money may as well not even exist, logically a 4080 is a 4080, regardless of its cost. It would perform the same whether you pay $1 or $10,000. So yes the card is what it is, it’s not a hard concept to separate cost and quality.

The Gigabyte 4080 Gaming OC card is the cheapest here - It's $100 cheaper than the next expensive card and most cards/brands are $200 more. This card gets good reviews and ppl who buy it seem satisfied with it - runs cool, quiet etc. It's strange. Does anyone here have that card? I am just curious - even though I can't buy one. :-(

Edit: The cheapest 4090 is $700 more than it. Wow.

Last edited:
graphics cards ranges from $1 to 2-3 thousand, there is a graphic card for any budget, any one

if you were nvidia and you had
4 series
3 series
2 series
1 series
980 series

5 series coming up

how do you price them ?

the prices are fine

i see nobody complaining about dropping 1500-2000 for a brand new iphone, or that its “expensive”

top of the line phones were 300-350 in 2000s

now its 5-6x the price

top of the line nvidia was 500 back then, now its double maybe triple that price

graphics cards ranges from $1 to 2-3 thousand, there is a graphic card for any budget, any one

4 series
3 series
2 series
1 series
980 series

5 series coming up

how do you price them ?

the prices are fine

i see nobody complaining about dropping 1500-2000 for a brand new iphone, or that its “expensive”

now its 5-6x the price

top of the line nvidia was 500 back then, now its double maybe triple that price

That's a somewhat facetious comparison. Current-gen iPhones start at $799, and a Pro Max which maxes out the useful specs is $1099. The $2000 super flagships (1TB iPhones, Galaxy Folds) are in fact niche products which rarely appear in the wild, and in fact, people do complain they are expensive. Additionally, phones are often carrier-subsidized (what wouldn't I give for an interest-free way to pay $30 a month for a graphics card!), and live on a slower upgrade cycle - if you own an iPhone 14 you're unlikely to feel bad about missing the 15 and 16, but I can guarantee you that a 4080 will not cut it for 4K gaming by the time the 6080 launches.

Looking at the numbers the problem I see is that the 4080 is really a one-generation card: there are already games where it doesn't make 60 fps minimums at 4K so in a year you're stuck upgrading. A few years back when 4K was niche this was less of a problem, but 4K is so useful for everything except gaming that it's a real shame to saddle a high end PC with anything less.

4 series
3 series
2 series
1 series
980 series

5 series coming up

how do you price them ?

the prices are fine

now its 5-6x the price

Prices are through the roof. And if you have t seen or heard anyone complain about smart phone prices you havent been paying attention. They’ve gotten expensive to the point where far fewer people upgrade every year. And when they do, the cost is subsidized by signing a 2 year commitment, and discounted further with a trade in. As long as you’ve kept your old phone long enough to be eligible for an upgrade, the cost comes down drastically.

No, it's too expensive for what it is. There has never been a time I can remember when the top end product price/performance scaled linearly all the way back down the product stack. That's not how it works. You always pay top dollar for that last 15%. It is an $800 card disguised as a $1200 one. And that nonsense "12GB" version they were forced to pull is a 4070 at best misnamed to try to squeeze dollars out of consumers intentionally.

Nvidia deserves all the greed comments hurled at them.
No argument from me at all. I also agree that the 4080 isn't a bad GPU from a design and tech standpoint (but it's still a slot.25 too friggin' big, IMO). It's just horribly priced.

nVIDIA has seen what the market would bear during the cryptoboom. Now we all pay the price. Literally. With Jensen's comments about Moore's Law being dead; the era of cheap GPUs are over... Well, then... Why are there roadmaps to transistor feature sizes all the way down to 4 angstroms in the late 2030's? Greed. Sure, chips are going to get more expensive. That's a given. But they haven't (as far as I am aware) become that expensive yet. Until pricing becomes more sane, I'm not buying an nVIDIA GPU new (or any other, for that matter) again. I'm fine with used as long as it has not been damaged or abused. Voting with our wallets is the only way the market will correct itself. If people keep buying, there really is no incentive to change, is there?

Last edited:
Back