Any happy 4080 owners here?

No argument from me at all. I also agree that the 4080 isn't a bad GPU from a design and tech standpoint (but it's still a slot.25 too friggin' big, IMO). It's just horribly priced.

nVIDIA has seen what the market would bear during the cryptoboom. Now we all pay the price. Literally. With Jensen's comments about Moore's Law being dead; the era of cheap GPUs are over... Well, then... Why are there roadmaps to transistor feature sizes all the way down to 4 angstroms in the late 2030's? Greed. Sure, chips are going to get more expensive. That's a given. But they haven't (as far as I am aware) become that expensive yet. Until pricing becomes more sane, I'm not buying an nVIDIA GPU new (or any other, for that matter) again. I'm fine with used as long as it has not been damaged or abused. Voting with our wallets is the only way the market will correct itself. If people keep buying, there really is no incentive to change, is there?
You don’t have to buy it because big corporations will buy it for AI research. NVIDIA might just stop offering consumer GPUs, regardless of demand, the way things are going with this AI bullshit.

You don’t have to buy it because big corporations will buy it for AI research. NVIDIA might just stop offering consumer GPUs, regardless of demand, the way things are going with this AI bullshit.
You're most likely not wrong. nVIDIA would much rather sell silicon they can charge 5 digits for anyways. And the mining boom/scalping craze simply showed Jensen what we the people would pay. I blame that, and the supply crunch that COVID caused more than I do nVIDIA for the current state of things to tell you the absolute truth. Still, it disgusts me. I am not above buying nVIDIA again, it just won't be new; giving them money directly. I'll give a [H]'er who is upgrading my cash to help them pay off their new GPU instead, just like I did with the RTX 3080 I'm rocking now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zinn
like this
You're most likely not wrong. nVIDIA would much rather sell silicon they can charge 5 digits for anyways. And the mining boom/scalping craze simply showed Jensen what we the people would pay. I blame that, and the supply crunch that COVID caused more than I do nVIDIA for the current state of things to tell you the absolute truth. Still, it disgusts me. I am not above buying nVIDIA again, it just won't be new; giving them money directly. I'll give a [H]'er who is upgrading my cash to help them pay off their new GPU instead, just like I did with the 2080 Ti I'm rocking now.
Does anyone here read quarterly reports? Gaming was still 31% of Q1 revenue. At current valuation, Wall St will be royally pissed if there's no longer any gaming market. Yes, AI is growing but they need to figure out a way to service all of these markets to stay diversified or they're leaving a pile of cash on the table.

Does anyone here read quarterly reports? Gaming was still 31% of Q1 revenue. At current valuation, Wall St will be royally pissed if there's no longer any gaming market. Yes, AI is growing but they need to figure out a way to service all of these markets to stay diversified or they're leaving a pile of cash on the table.
All I'm saying is, from where I sit nVIDIA seems intent on squeezing that 31% portion of their revenue to the max this generation. Ada Lovelace could have been as big as a leap as the 4090 across the whole product stack and it isn't. I partially blame lack of competition from AMD, though. And, I still stand by the statement that Jensen saw what scalpers were getting for his GPUs and said, "I want a piece of that..."

Unrelated, but thankfully, the winds of chance have blown a 3080 FE into my lap despite just getting a 2080 Ti. Now I can sit out this product stack shit-show for the next 3-4 years while it hopefully unfucks itself either due to consumer/market pressure or competition from AMD or Intel. I don't care which. I may have hated on them hard for their price/performance this generation, but they still have the best performing tech in regards to RT or raster.

Last edited:
Between the return of my stock 7900 xtx that had the vapor chamber issue (bought on launch day), and the purchase of my 7900 xtx Red Devil which I couldn't be happier with, I had a PNY 4080 XLR8. Good card, but the extra $200 I paid over the 7900 was really stuck in my craw (much more over principal than anything else). It was still within the return window, so I did so. The exercise did reinforce one thing for me: I'm never paying over $1000 for an enthusiast card again, there are just so many other things more valuable and worthwhile for the money out there.

Between the return of my stock 7900 xtx that had the vapor chamber issue (bought on launch day), and the purchase of my 7900 xtx Red Devil which I couldn't be happier with, I had a PNY 4080 XLR8. Good card, but the extra $200 I paid over the 7900 was really stuck in my craw (much more over principal than anything else). It was still within the return window, so I did so. The exercise did reinforce one thing for me: I'm never paying over $1000 for an enthusiast card again, there are just so many other things more valuable and worthwhile for the money out there.
Yeah? Like what? :) I agree with you - but, I haven't bought too many cards - also, of the last few gpus I've bought - two were used - one (the first one I ever bought, in fact) was bought during the mining phase - and I didn't have a lot of choices - gpus weren't even listed on websites and there wasn't accurate inventory on the websites.
Anyway, I also (intend) to use my PC for work - so, there is some justification for me - but, I am still looking at buying a used card first - new, second.
I'm just wondering why you decided to switch from a 4080 (which you didn't mention a problem with?) to a 7900 XTX - to get that extra performance or another reason?
The reason I like the 4080 over the 7900 XTX or XT is practical - and I understand the gaming is at least equivalent, more or less, or even better in some cases - and the price is more expensive making it a 'worse deal.' However, if you factor in use case and options - the card is good for gaming and other - productivity, video editing, Compute/rendering etc., AI? An extra $100/$200 - is bad but I think one should factor in the use case even if you're just a gamer - you have to consider what else the card can be used for. Imho, there's value in that. In saying all of that - yes, it's overpriced still - although, supposedly* the 40 series cards are getting a slight reduction in price? Although, I bet this is one of those - 'only in the USA price discounts.'

RTX 4080 run very good overclocked and is quiet card on 4K HDR OLED G-Sync
If you want to see actual 4K HDR PC Gameplay with FPS counter on here are 10 games I recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 2022 RTX 4080 13700KF

Cyberpunk 2077 RTX 4080 Ray tracing 4K HDR

Assassin's Creed Valhalla 4K HDR PC Gameplay RTX 4080

Marvel's Spider Man Miles Morales DLSS 3 RTX 4080

The Medium 4K HDR Ray Tracing RTX 4080 13700KF

The Callisto Protocol 4K HDR Ray Tracing DLSS RTX 4080 13700KF
The Callisto Protocol 4K HDR Ray Tracing DLSS RTX 4080 13700KF - YouTube

Warhammer 40,000 Darktide 4K HDR DLSS 3 Ray Tracing RTX 4080
Warhammer 40,000 Darktide 4K HDR DLSS 3 Ray Tracing RTX 4080 - YouTube

The Witcher 3 Next Gen 4K HDR PC Gameplay DLSS 3 RTX 4080
The Witcher 3 Next Gen 4K HDR PC Gameplay DLSS 3 RTX 4080 - YouTube

RTX 4080 High On Life 4K HDR PC Gameplay

Control 4K HDR PC Gameplay RTX 4080 13700KF

If you were only deciding between 2 cards - ASUS Tuf 4080 vs MSI 4080 Trio - which would it be? I'm asking between these two since I'm only looking at used 4080s and MSI and ASUS allow transferable warranty - also, I am finding some of those models used. They're about $1400 CAD - so, relatively speaking - $1060 USD. This is about the same price as a new rx 7900 XTX.
4080s run cool so one shouldn't run into too many problematic cards - but, someone here did have to RMA their FE card. I don't want to worry about something like that - and most AIBs and Nvidia don't allow transferable warranty.
New, a 4080 would cost an additional $200.
Any thoughts on the Asus Tuf vs MSI Trio? They seem like comparable cards - I've seen a Youtuber test both and the Asus appeared to be running cooler.
Although, in reviews, there's sometimes complaints about the Asus Tuf - having some coil whine?
I'd be upgrading from a 3080 10gb - which I'd need to sell to fund this purchase. :)

If you were only deciding between 2 cards - ASUS Tuf 4080 vs MSI 4080 Trio - which would it be? I'm asking between these two since I'm only looking at used 4080s and MSI and ASUS allow transferable warranty - also, I am finding some of those models used. They're about $1400 CAD - so, relatively speaking - $1060 USD. This is about the same price as a new rx 7900 XTX.
4080s run cool so one shouldn't run into too many problematic cards - but, someone here did have to RMA their FE card. I don't want to worry about something like that - and most AIBs and Nvidia don't allow transferable warranty.
New, a 4080 would cost an additional $200.
Any thoughts on the Asus Tuf vs MSI Trio? They seem like comparable cards - I've seen a Youtuber test both and the Asus appeared to be running cooler.
Although, in reviews, there's sometimes complaints about the Asus Tuf - having some coil whine?
I'd be upgrading from a 3080 10gb - which I'd need to sell to fund this purchase. :)
whichever looks better for you and price is acceptable to you, both are good imo, i am more skewed towards asus

Do you have one?

whichever looks better for you and price is acceptable to you, both are good imo, i am more skewed towards asus
They both look equally good - I think aesthetics are secondary to the performance/noise/cooling - and I haven't really discovered any difference, really - so, looking for personal experiences/opinions on that. The Asus Tuf seems easier to find for whatever reason - I've found at least 2 or 3 ads so far. The MSI card I found was more expensive by $100. I still need to save up about $200 - and then sell my card so not in a hurry. I will assume with reservation that these two brands might be choices (among used cards) and so far, I don't have a preference - just whatever circumstance is better - vibe from seller, least use - incl. a box, good condition etc. - but, I was hoping that both are equally good as far as low noise/hopefully no coil whine and stuff like that.
There were some reports of coil whine on the Tuf - so I hope those are isolated cases or maybe a bad batch at one time?

super happy, I dont have to upgrade for 2 years at least (five series out), easily don't have to upgrade until 6 series

I figure when the 6 series releases in a few years buy 5080 to replace my 4080. Stay just behind the curve from here on out.

Yes, if you can afford the hardware to run it well.
It can run most 4k games and get the 60+ fps, right? Some ppl make a big fuss that it cannot do RT well(?) or run Cyberpunk - but, I laugh at that..... even the 4090 cannot run that one - and I say, so what?
The main problem with these cards is the crippling Nvidia does - and the price. The price seems to be coming down a bit - and I have noticed used ones on the market in my area - not many but it's still interesting to me. I wish it had more than 16gb VRAM but oh well, that's Nvidia for you.

Is 4k worth it ?
Once you've experienced it at 60+ FPS, it really is hard to go back.

While there are plenty of games that would be perfectly playable at 1080p, I'm thinking of things like ArmA 3 where you have a substantial visibility advantage in the distance from the extra resolution, and you'll probably be sniping at targets at those ranges, too - or suddenly dropping dead because you didn't see that enemy off in the distance until it was too late. (That goes double if you're fighting AI that doesn't have the visibility problems that human players do!)

With that said, 4K wasn't the primary motivator for getting a 4080 to begin with. That's chump change compared to trying to maintain 80+ FPS in VR games at all times so you don't have reprojection mangling whatever you're looking at with even the slightest head movements, and on a relatively low-res Valve Index instead of a Varjo Aero or Pimax that's pushing resolution boundaries.

While there are plenty of games that would be perfectly playable at 1080p, I'm thinking of things like ArmA 3 where you have a substantial visibility advantage in the distance from the extra resolution, and you'll probably be sniping at targets at those ranges, too - or suddenly dropping dead because you didn't see that enemy off in the distance until it was too late. (That goes double if you're fighting AI that doesn't have the visibility problems that human players do!)

With that said, 4K wasn't the primary motivator for getting a 4080 to begin with. That's chump change compared to trying to maintain 80+ FPS in VR games at all times so you don't have reprojection mangling whatever you're looking at with even the slightest head movements, and on a relatively low-res Valve Index instead of a Varjo Aero or Pimax that's pushing resolution boundaries.
My 3080 10gb can get 60+ fps at some games - it's on a 60 hz 4k tv, though. Eventually, when the tv dies, I'll get one that has 120hz. I use my card for more than just gaming - and the 10gb of vram worries me a bit. I think my card will only lose value - so, I'm wondering if I should sell it sooner rather than later.
The only card that seems to make sense for an upgrade is the 4080 - and used. It's wild that ppl (in my country?) are selling the 4080 already - most ads have content that the card is overkill or that they are upgrading to a 4090 - or they don't say why they're selling.

I'm not interested in VR but I understand the demand for it. The 4080 sounds like it would be achieve 4k better than the 3080, obviously - so, it just offers way more options for me - and although, I am a bit peeved at Nvidia's crippling of the bus - I can't find the $$ for a 4090, at this time. :) Even used - it's around the same price, just without tax.

My 3080 10gb can get 60+ fps at some games - it's on a 60 hz 4k tv, though. Eventually, when the tv dies, I'll get one that has 120hz. I use my card for more than just gaming - and the 10gb of vram worries me a bit. I think my card will only lose value - so, I'm wondering if I should sell it sooner rather than later.
The only card that seems to make sense for an upgrade is the 4080 - and used. It's wild that ppl (in my country?) are selling the 4080 already - most ads have content that the card is overkill or that they are upgrading to a 4090 - or they don't say why they're selling.

I'm not interested in VR but I understand the demand for it. The 4080 sounds like it would be achieve 4k better than the 3080, obviously - so, it just offers way more options for me - and although, I am a bit peeved at Nvidia's crippling of the bus - I can't find the $$ for a 4090, at this time. :) Even used - it's around the same price, just without tax.
The 4080 is a 120hz+ 4K card in general.

Reactions: pavel
like this

Yeah, once you go 4k, had to go back. Plus now I am using giant OLEDs so its hard to go back to a monitor. I have 48" C1 now. I might downsize to a 42" in the future, but I wouldn't want any smaller anymore.

Did I ask about the Zotac Trinity and Amp Extreme Aero? (Aside: why does Zotac do that? LOL! What names! Jeez). I read that the Amp card is kind of loud. Is it? These are the cheapest 4080s in my country. I am wondering if they are loud or not - and if most have coil whine.
What would scare me from going with a Zotac card - is some complaints or concerns about the fans - and also, that Zotac has a rep for being really strict regarding their warranties.

There's ASUS 4080 Tuf cards - that are '3rd cheapest' - but, also a few used ones pop up sometimes - dunno why. I hope they are just ppl wanting to upgrade to a 4090 or needing money. There's a few reports of coil whine with these cards. I dunno how frequent - but, I've read a few.

The Gigabyte Eagle and OC are the next cheapest - I think these are good - but, pretty expensive....once, you look at cards more expensive than the Zotac and Tuf cards - it's getting pretty into high $$$. Imho. This isn't the USA - no Microcenters or discounts here.

Yeah, once you go 4k, had to go back. Plus now I am using giant OLEDs so its hard to go back to a monitor. I have 48" C1 now. I might downsize to a 42" in the future, but I wouldn't want any smaller anymore.
I've been tempted by LG's C-series OLED HDTVs for a while now, but I've been concerned about the burn-in risks for something that's mostly going to be used as a giant computer monitor. That's the only thing really holding me back from OLED at the moment.

The wait for MicroLED is a grueling one, as that's basically OLED without the organic drawbacks like decay - emissive subpixels, not mere backlights behind an LCD.

Did I ask about the Zotac Trinity and Amp Extreme Aero? (Aside: why does Zotac do that? LOL! What names! Jeez). I read that the Amp card is kind of loud. Is it? These are the cheapest 4080s in my country. I am wondering if they are loud or not - and if most have coil whine.
What would scare me from going with a Zotac card - is some complaints or concerns about the fans - and also, that Zotac has a rep for being really strict regarding their warranties.

There's ASUS 4080 Tuf cards - that are '3rd cheapest' - but, also a few used ones pop up sometimes - dunno why. I hope they are just ppl wanting to upgrade to a 4090 or needing money. There's a few reports of coil whine with these cards. I dunno how frequent - but, I've read a few.

The Gigabyte Eagle and OC are the next cheapest - I think these are good - but, pretty expensive....once, you look at cards more expensive than the Zotac and Tuf cards - it's getting pretty into high $$$. Imho. This isn't the USA - no Microcenters or discounts here.
I'm on a Zotac 4080 AMP Extreme AIRO (agreed on how ridiculous of a name that is) at the moment, and have no complaints about coil whine, fan noise or temps.

What I do have complaints about is the sheer size of the heatsink - it's about 3.5 slots thick and like 14" or so long, enough that there's a very real risk of it not fitting in your case of choice (it barely clears the hotswap HDD backplane cover in a Corsair 800D, and forget about fan-mounting a water-cooling reservoir on the side intakes for the O11D XL with this thing), tall enough that you'll have to make an uncomfortable bend on the 12VHPWR cable because it's right up against the sidewall of the case, and unlike most people here, I actually use my PCIe slots for things other than GPUs and am disappointed to have them blocked off by this gigantic GPU heatsink, which tempts me to slap a waterblock on it just to get my slots freed up again.

Whichever card you go with, make sure it'll fit in your case first!

like this
I've been tempted by LG's C-series OLED HDTVs for a while now, but I've been concerned about the burn-in risks for something that's mostly going to be used as a giant computer monitor. That's the only thing really holding me back from OLED at the moment.

The wait for MicroLED is a grueling one, as that's basically OLED without the organic drawbacks like decay - emissive subpixels, not mere backlights behind an LCD.

I'm on a Zotac 4080 AMP Extreme AIRO (agreed on how ridiculous of a name that is) at the moment, and have no complaints about coil whine, fan noise or temps.

What I do have complaints about is the sheer size of the heatsink - it's about 3.5 slots thick and like 14" or so long, enough that there's a very real risk of it not fitting in your case of choice (it barely clears the hotswap HDD backplane cover in a Corsair 800D, and forget about fan-mounting a water-cooling reservoir on the side intakes for the O11D XL with this thing), tall enough that you'll have to make an uncomfortable bend on the 12VHPWR cable because it's right up against the sidewall of the case, and unlike most people here, I actually use my PCIe slots for things other than GPUs and am disappointed to have them blocked off by this gigantic GPU heatsink, which tempts me to slap a waterblock on it just to get my slots freed up again.

Whichever card you go with, make sure it'll fit in your case first!
O11D XL - that's the largest version of that case, too, isn't it? I currently have a Phanteks P500A - it's black and I really wish I (saved up for) got a white case - but, the cases I like - G500A and Lancool III - also have a lot of room for large video cards. I think I'll have enough room/space. But, I see how the amount of space the card takes up - 3/3.5 slots or whatever it is - can be a problem or annoyance.

I'm glad that the card is quiet and there's no coil whine, though. The Zotac cards are usually the cheapest here - I've even found some ads for 2nd hand Zotac Trinity and AMP cards. So, it makes it easier if they're decent cards since the prices would be way more 'affordable' - if you can describe any 4080 that way...haha.

O11D XL - that's the largest version of that case, too, isn't it? I currently have a Phanteks P500A - it's black and I really wish I (saved up for) got a white case - but, the cases I like - G500A and Lancool III - also have a lot of room for large video cards. I think I'll have enough room/space. But, I see how the amount of space the card takes up - 3/3.5 slots or whatever it is - can be a problem or annoyance.

I'm glad that the card is quiet and there's no coil whine, though. The Zotac cards are usually the cheapest here - I've even found some ads for 2nd hand Zotac Trinity and AMP cards. So, it makes it easier if they're decent cards since the prices would be way more 'affordable' - if you can describe any 4080 that way...haha.

The Zotac cards (except the AIRO or whatever its called) and Gigabytes basic Windforce model are both specced lower than Founders editions as far as VRM is concerned, but its not really a big deal considering the price. I'm seeing the Zotac 4080 for $1099 right now.

Last edited:
I had used a MSI Gaming Trio X 4080 for a few days and then I decided to return it and then bought a MSI Gaming Trio X 4090. The performance was much noticeable and definitely worth it despite it cost me a lot. I came from EVGA FTW3 3080 TI to this. I still game at 1440p at 144hz. It's so overkill. I want to get a 4K gaming monitor but I couldn't find the best one because they're all the garbage to me. But I can tell you that the 4080 was a still very good GPU and price is just bad. I also noticed between 4080 and 4090 in power consumption is also noticeable, 4090 consumes slightly more power compared to a 4080. The 4080 uses so much less power than my 3080 Ti for more performance. However 4090 even uses less power and performance is way exceeds than a 3080 Ti.

So if you are on 3080 10GB or 6800 XT then 4080 is definitely way to go unless you want to go straight to a 4090 only if you can afford.

Last edited:
I had used a MSI Gaming Trio X 4080 for a few days and then I decided to return it and then bought a MSI Gaming Trio X 4090. The performance was much noticeable and definitely worth it despite it cost me a lot. I came from EVGA FTW3 3080 TI to this. I still game at 1440p at 144hz. It's so overkill. I want to get a 4K gaming monitor but I couldn't find the best one because they're all the garbage to me. But I can tell you that the 4080 was a still very good GPU and price is just bad. I also noticed between 4080 and 4090 in power consumption is also noticeable, 4090 consumes slightly more power compared to a 4080. The 4080 uses so much less power than my 3080 Ti for more performance. However 4090 even uses less power and performance is way exceeds than a 3080 Ti.

So if you are on 3080 10GB or 6800 XT then 4080 is definitely way to go unless you want to go straight to a 4090 only if you can afford.
What psu did you have? Does a 4090 need 1000w psu?
I won't be able to afford a 4090 - unless something drastically changes - my financial situation or the price of 4090s. I know the performance is a big jump and that flagship card - Nvidia didn't really gimp it compared to cards below the 4090. Plus, 24gb would be preferable and ideal (for me, too) but, the price jump is considerable in my country (Canada) - even used ones - ppl are still asking near 'new' price - just you avoid the extra tax $$. It's still $600 more here.

I want a inexpensive 4080 (you know what I mean I know they are overpriced) can anyone point me to a reasonable priced seller or retailer or retailer please? Or what I'm trying to say is do you know where the best deal is to be found for a 4080? Lol

like this
I want a inexpensive 4080 (you know what I mean I know they are overpriced) can anyone point me to a reasonable priced seller or retailer or retailer please? Or what I'm trying to say is do you know where the best deal is to be found for a 4080? Lol
There was another $1k deal this time for a PNY at Dell, but it's expired now. I saw it on slickdeals yesterday. Keep your eyes out and you can probably snag one about that with a bit of patience.

What psu did you have? Does a 4090 need 1000w psu?
I won't be able to afford a 4090 - unless something drastically changes - my financial situation or the price of 4090s. I know the performance is a big jump and that flagship card - Nvidia didn't really gimp it compared to cards below the 4090. Plus, 24gb would be preferable and ideal (for me, too) but, the price jump is considerable in my country (Canada) - even used ones - ppl are still asking near 'new' price - just you avoid the extra tax $$. It's still $600 more here.
I have a 2023 Corsair HX1000i with a black label. I also had old 2017 Corsair HX1000i with a blue label. I was supposed to keep using this the same psu, but I had to build a new rig for my young sister with this old psu. I use a Corsair 12VHPWR adapter cable, however, Corsair HX1000i with a black label do come with a 12VHPWR cable. Only one difference is it's a bit stiff compared to separate corsair 12VPWR cable that is more flexible. I used the flexible one. No issues at all. Worked fine with both 4080 and 4090.

Last edited:
I have a 2023 Corsair HX1000i with a black label. I also had old 2017 Corsair HX1000i with a blue label. I was supposed to keep using this the same psu, but I had to build a new rig for my young sister with this old psu. I use a Corsair 12VHPWR adapter cable, however, Corsair HX1000i with a black label do come with a 12VHPWR cable. Only one difference is it's a bit stiff compared to separate corsair 12VPWR cable that is more flexible. I used the flexible one. No issues at all. Worked fine with both 4080 and 4090.
Will a decent 850w be enough? Or is that too risky? Corsair RM850x....for e.g.

GoldenTiger's advice is good. Where are you located?

Edit: California, right?

Any Microcenters near you? They sometimes have open box deals? Also, how is the used market there? I dunno about 'inexpensive' 4080s - the current price everywhere seems pretty high - I think ppl in the USA are talking about $1000-ish - so, I dunno how much cheaper they are there. You could try 2nd hand - there's been some chats here of ppl selling used ones. Even in my country - Canada - I see the occasional 4080 for sale - mostly for avoiding tax - it's not much cheaper than new - but, I suspect one could get the odd seller to go a bit lower. Try to get the box, receipt and some brands (not too many) have transferable warranty. If you only will go new - then follow GT's advice and check stores for open box or discounts (Amazon's 'warehouse deals' are mostly boxes that got damaged - and often there's cosmetic defects like scratches on the card - I'd avoid those).

Back