AMD Zen Performance Preview

I think I will wait a little bit after Zen launches for all the bugs, bioses , memory etc. are worked out maybe even R2 motherboards. This is going to be a huge shift and a long time for AMD for such a dramatic change which they use to do more routinely. Now if everything or most things are on the ups that could change as well. The FX 9590 system has by far been my most stable, bug free system I've ever owned and it is over 5 years old (well 8120 -> 8350 -> 9590 that is). Never had a problem with gaming on my behalf, understand others may need Intel's better IPC but never really had an issue there. Hopefully we start seeing the AM4 motherboards samples that will be coming available and demo's running Zen. It is almost time for that to build up some hype, get people interested etc.

I think I will wait a little bit after Zen launches for all the bugs, bioses , memory etc. are worked out maybe even R2 motherboards. This is going to be a huge shift and a long time for AMD for such a dramatic change which they use to do more routinely. Now if everything or most things are on the ups that could change as well. The FX 9590 system has by far been my most stable, bug free system I've ever owned and it is over 5 years old (well 8120 -> 8350 -> 9590 that is). Never had a problem with gaming on my behalf, understand others may need Intel's better IPC but never really had an issue there. Hopefully we start seeing the AM4 motherboards samples that will be coming available and demo's running Zen. It is almost time for that to build up some hype, get people interested etc.

Design should already be final on AM4, I don't suspect too many bugs to be honest. All the technology that has been implemented has been out for a while. They are already testing out ES samples so motherboard designs should already be final 6 months before launch. Only a matter of months before they actually have production designs and ready for launch when zen launches.

I feel terrible about taking this thread so horribly off-topic (maybe I should PM you instead) but I am interested in your recommendation about those AKG 7xx headphones. The only thing I can find called 7xx is a limited edition massdrop buy. are the XX just "insert number here", as I can find K 701 and K702 models. They seem nice, but they are all very low impedence (62 ohm?) Do you know if they come in a 250+ ohm version?
Most over the ear headphones are at the lower impedance around 32 ohms usually. The rule of thumb is to have a headphone amp which has lower source impedance than 1/8th the input impedance of the headphones you're using. I wouldn't worry about it but if you want to know more, here is a very good article explaining what it all means: NwAvGuy: Headphone & Amp Impedance

Yes AKG 7xx is a special Massdrop only edition, but I've seen them pop up on there often. I really enjoy their warm sound, for an open headphone. From what I understand they are almost identical to AKG 712 which cost more but are made in Austria (AKG 7xx is China).

As far as SHP9500s go, they punch way above their weight, many compare them to Sennheiser HD 600 which are the benchmark when it comes to neutral (accurate) flat response headphones. They are cheap, very comfortable (lightest over the ear headphones I own) and the added bonus is they use the 3.5mm banana jack which makes them compatible with boom microphones, making the process of turning them into a gaming headset, trivial.

anyways.. sorry for the derail, but I figure others may find this info useful too.

Design should already be final on AM4, I don't suspect too many bugs to be honest. All the technology that has been implemented has been out for a while. They are already testing out ES samples so motherboard designs should already be final 6 months before launch. Only a matter of months before they actually have production designs and ready for launch when zen launches.
Well I will be a little bit more prudent this time around than with Bulldozer . The Asus Sabertooth Motherboard I bought was with a Phenom II 2 core before bulldozer was even released. Forgot to put that in there. So this AMD motherboard has seen 4 processors. There were problems when first released but Asus was pretty quick in fixing. Great run so far.

It's also possible we see Bristol Ridge APUs (28nm Excavator) on AM4 before the Summit Ridge (Zen).

It's also possible we see Bristol Ridge APUs (28nm Excavator) on AM4 before the Summit Ridge (Zen).

We should see it way ahead of Summit Ridge. But we are still waiting on the Bristol Ridge launch. The SKUs was leaked a year ago and it was preannounced back in April.

I won't make that mistake again.

I bought a AM3+ motherboard when they first were released a few months before the Bulldozer launch, and dropped a Phenom II x6 1090T in there as a "waiting for bulldozer" CPU. Then bulldozer launched and was the disappointment it was and I was pretty disillusioned. Went out and bought a X79 motherboard and 3930k on launch day, and have been using it ever since.

I'm waiting for final silicon reviews before buying anything in the future.

I love all these negative Intel fan boys on here.

I am going to swap this 3930K the day ZEN comes out. I am not holding my breathe but I am extremely hopeful that this chip will be faster than Broadwell E as AMD has leaked out.

I bought a AM3+ motherboard when they first were released a few months before the Bulldozer launch, and dropped a Phenom II x6 1090T in there as a "waiting for bulldozer" CPU. Then bulldozer launched and was the disappointment it was and I was pretty disillusioned. Went out and bought a X79 motherboard and 3930k on launch day, and have been using it ever since.

yeah you never buy a "new" platform before it is released. That is akin to buying a lottery ticket that cost $2000.00 hoping it will be a winner. Just too many odds stacked against you. Especially with AMD. But i am not a fanboy of Intel or AMD, read my post just above this.

yeah you never buy a "new" platform before it is released. That is akin to buying a lottery ticket that cost $2000.00 hoping it will be a winner. Just too many odds stacked against you. Especially with AMD. But i am not a fanboy of Intel or AMD, read my post just above this.

If you've been around for a while, you learn to wait for the processor to get beat up a bit before buying.

Many times "shiny" becomes "smelly" after a bit.

I love all these negative Intel fan boys on here.

I am going to swap this 3930K the day ZEN comes out. I am not holding my breathe but I am extremely hopeful that this chip will be faster than Broadwell E as AMD has leaked out.

Not sure I recommend that, as I have stock IB i7 performance as the "best case" for Zen.

When AMD has been quiet they tend to do their best, when they start wagging their tongue, turd comes out (metaphorically speaking, just not as good as the competition) but as long as its not as bad as bull dozer, better than bull dozer, might not reach the top Intel's, it will be a hell of step in the right direction..

When AMD has been quiet they tend to do their best, when they start wagging their tongue, turd comes out (metaphorically speaking, just not as good as the competition) but as long as its not as bad as bull dozer, better than bull dozer, might not reach the top Intel's, it will be a hell of step in the right direction..

This | if this is true.. If AMD can just swing up a few rungs higher and get closer then that will signal to me and millions of others that they are closing the gap and may one day over take Intel as the performance king again. Long time coming.

That is all they need, and if the architecture (along with process maturity) is solid they can do further improvements down the road, to catch up with any and all of Intel products.

That is all they need, and if the architecture (along with process maturity) is solid they can do further improvements down the road, to catch up with any and all of Intel products.

absolutely agree! They won't be stuck at low clocks forever that is given. If they can hit the IPC target and keep improving since that is what they plan on doing looks solid in the long run. That is what their plan seems to be, because they are calling further improvements zen+, if we go by when intel went to core architecture they were in the low 3ghz, since then they have slowly scaled it up. But I am hoping that AMD can get the final stepping around 3.2-3.5 for 8 core chip and that would be solid. Haven't heard much about 4 core but I am pretty sure they will have those as well, and those might be in the upper range most likely.

Just remember increase in frequency is highly architecturally related, so even like a 10% increase might not be there, and ES's are done and given to OEM's to verify their systems are very close to the real thing. 3 ghz might be what we see at the end. Yeah the chips might be able to pushed higher but they might not do something like that if the chips have any type of failure rates attached to them with bumped up clocks.

Just remember increase in frequency is highly architecturally related, so even like a 10% increase might not be there, and ES's are done and given to OEM's to verify their systems are very close to the real thing. 3 ghz might be what we see at the end. Yeah the chips might be able to pushed higher but they might not do something like that if the chips have any type of failure rates attached to them with bumped up clocks.
True but that is probably the absolute minimum they were shooting for. I am pretty confident that is the case with ES samples, getting the absolute minimum they need to hit and stable. I really highly doubt AMD designed an architecture that can not be scaled past 3ghz. That will be like a absolute failure on their end. The first chips might be in the <= 3.5 but I think they will eventually get to 4 after a few revisions.

Don't know about quad cores though, is amd planning on launching those with zen? I haven't heard too much but I assume they would be dumb not to.

hey Intel couldn't get much past 3 ghz with their first 14nm chips either lol, and they have much better control over the process for their needs ;)

Doesn't matter if you can over clock to 4, if most chips can't sustain that overclock over a stress test over a period of time, then they can't be put higher then a certain amount.

hey Intel couldn't get much past 3 ghz with their first 14nm chips either lol, and they have much better control over the process for their needs ;)

Doesn't matter if you can over clock to 4, if most chips can't sustain that overclock over a stress test over a period of time, then they can't be put higher then a certain amount.

SemiAccurate Forums - View Single Post - AMD unveils Zen architecture details
I find it promising that Power9 is hitting 4 GHz clocks on GlobalFoundries 14nm process. Admittedly it's a "tuned" process for IBM, but still encouraging.

Weird that other people that have looked into it know a bit more about what GF can and can not do.

So if they get close to 4ghz it is all good :) .

Power9 isn't using the same 14nm. Its using an IBM developed 14nm that's pretty much "burning wafers". Unless you wish to pay 1000$+ per Zen chip its not a valid one.

Intel for example is also "burning wafers" for its 5.1Ghz quadcore Broadwell Xeons.

Also a node isn't the only limiting factor to clocks. Far from it.

Zen=14LPP
Power9=14HP

http://openpowerfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/5_Brad-McCredie.IBM_.pdf

Global Foundries 14HP finFET technology with eDRAM

Last edited:

Weird that other people that have looked into it know a bit more about what GF can and can not do.

Power 9 different architecture, focused on many different things, and as Shintai stated different process. And even then its power using is higher than where AMD needs to be around 50% higher. If you look at the 4ghz version, your talking 100% higher.

You can't even do a direct comparison between the two with all the differences.

That is excellent news.

Isn't AMD GlobalFoundries biggest customer? I can't imagine the process wouldn't be "tuned" to some degree for their needs as well.

A 4Ghz part with 40% more IPC than Kaveri will certainly be able to make a difference. Still we are talking Sandy to Ivy level single threaded performance, but with intels massive layoffs and slowed Tick-Tock schedule, there may be room for AMD to gain on them with successive gens.

Power9 isn't using the same 14nm. Its using an IBM developed 14nm that's pretty much "burning wafers". Unless you wish to pay 1000$+ per Zen chip its not a valid one.

Intel for example is also "burning wafers" for its 5.1Ghz quadcore Broadwell Xeons.

Zen=14LPP
Power9=14HP

http://openpowerfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/5_Brad-McCredie.IBM_.pdf

Hmm. That is unfortunate.

It's all speculation until we see final silicon through.

Zen=14LPP
Power9=14HP

By the way, it's way OT, but are those 5.1Ghz BDW-EP quads real? Because i've seen a rumor on these from wccf citing.... i am not sure they've even cited anyone there. And that was it.

Otherwise, you're right, different process is different.

By the way, it's way OT, but are those 5.1Ghz BDW-EP quads real? Because i've seen a rumor on these from wccf citing.... i am not sure they've even cited anyone there. And that was it.

Otherwise, you're right, different process is different.

Yes they are. Its a specialized product for extreme time sensitive financial transactions. The price is around 8000$ a pop I think for the 2602v4. But again, in that segment, price doesn't matter.

Yes they are. Its a specialized product for extreme time sensitive financial transactions. The price is around 8000$ a pop I think for the 2602v4. But again, in that segment, price doesn't matter.

Ahh, the realm of high frequency trading...

Doing harm to our economy one step at a time :p

Power9 isn't using the same 14nm. Its using an IBM developed 14nm that's pretty much "burning wafers". Unless you wish to pay 1000$+ per Zen chip its not a valid one. Intel for example is also "burning wafers" for its 5.1Ghz quadcore Broadwell Xeons. Also a node isn't the only limiting factor to clocks. Far from it.
Zen=14LPP
Power9=14HP

I'm not saying it is a done deal, just that GF is busy on things , regardless of the success rate you might hope that there not still fumbling in the dark ... Or at least get better at it.

Waiting for the huge VIA cpu comeback!

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh! Year 2000 performance with 2016 technology.

In my first pc my cyrix 5x86 shat on all the intel 4x86 parts everyone was buying. This was a time before doom had totally won and I gravitated towards the superior "magic carpet" game... but no one could run it fast enough, and so doom, the inferior game won. That people are as dull and uninspired as I fear and actually prefer dudebro with a gun compared to flying font of cosmic energies that can nuke and lay waste to whole continents by raising the palm of his hands, who can conjure volcanoes and new land masses, carve tendrils into the earth like worms of power! Being a TRUE god game before they were even a THING !!!!!! Oh but wait, dudebro can play bang bang in a corridor... Oh god, people really do have this horrific taste preference.

3.2ghz with 3.6ghz turbo? If we are lucky 3.4ghz with a 3.6ghz turbo or higher. Still it will be a full 8 core chip with 16 threads - For multi-threaded stuff which will include DX 12 future games as well as Vulkan, a number of engineering and 3d programs - this chips should do well depending upon price of course. On multi-threading applications (I am more interested in) this will slaughter an I7 6700K hands down is my prediction but for less threaded applications (there are many) the I7 will most likely do better.

Last edited:
I sit with my head approximatel;y 2.5 feet away from it. When I bought it I was concerned it was a little bit too big, but I wanted the higher quality of the JS9000 model, and 48" was the smallest size it was offered in.

Overall the quality is quite fantastic. True 4:4:4 chroma in PC mode results in good fonts too. The DPI is a little bit low for my viewing distance. According to my calculations, would find this screen absolutely perfect if it were ~42", but as it is, it's size results in slightly lower DPI than I would like.

That being said, the extra screen real estate is a godsend when working with many open windows, and playing games on it is effin amazing.

Pic of setup:

Screenshot of work arrangement:

I have some broken beyerdynamic headphones just like you, but I went for a 43" sony 4k tv for use as my display instead. The 2016 version of that samsung display is the best pc/gaming/tv picture quality display you can get right now, but like you said, in the US they bottom out at 48 inches. Guess who gets the 43 inch curved version of the 2016 models with higher peak brightness for better specular highlights in HDR? Europe and the UK.

43" 7 Series Curved SUHD TV UE43KS7500UXXU | Samsung UK

They DO make a 43 inch version, just not for the US (at least not in 2016), and the converted price is around 1400 dollars from british pounds last I checked.

After doing some reading and listening though, the entire HDR display market and ecosystem is a giant clusterf*ck right now. I don't expect more consistent hardware and delivery for another 1-3 years.

Same here. I did not even have a cpu at the time and saw the results of bulldozer and went cold. A friend let me use a spare 955 black quad core so I popped that in to tide me over and I did eventually get an 8350, which is what I'm using now. But never again. This time I am not buying until I see actual performance levels.

I am confused what are the long term consequences for this? Are they just just paying flat rate to GF even if they don't use them? Meaning paying a penalty but less money?

Well we don't know details about the contract but it looks like an extension of what they have currently. With some changes. They have to get a certain amount of wafers from GF for their chips but outside of that, if they don't use the full amount of wafers agreed upon and go to another fab to get supply they have pay GF a flat rate per wafer based on what they bought from the outside fab.

As it is right now, they must get X amount of wafers from GF before utilizing another fab. If they don't they can't use another fab. That is why last year or the year before, they got sued by GF and had to pay up or something like that, don't remember the exact details, since they used TSMC for all their GPU manufacturing and they didn't hit the wafer supply amounts from GF that was agreed upon.

Well we don't know details about the contract but it looks like an extension of what they have currently. With some changes. They have to get a certain amount of wafers from GF for their chips but outside of that, if they don't use the full amount of wafers agreed upon and go to another fab to get supply they have pay GF a flat rate per wafer based on what they bought from the outside fab.

As it is right now, they must get X amount of wafers from GF before utilizing another fab. If they don't they can't use another fab. That is why last year or the year before, they got sued by GF and had to pay up or something like that, don't remember the exact details, since they used TSMC for all their GPU manufacturing and they didn't hit the wafer supply amounts from GF that was agreed upon.

I think they probably renegotiated their deal. They might be willing to pay a flat fee for not using them.
Also come to think of it since they don't need super high performance you think they might actually spin off high performance parts to samsung or tsmc and let GF cook up all the mobile stuff and xbox/ps/wii chips at gf..

I mean this is just in time before the next ps4 and xbox scorpios come out. Also gives them the chance to see 7nm. I am thinking this is a way for them to split out their higher performing parts to other fabs.

well PS4 and Xbox aren't really high performance parts run of the mill stuff (higher than mobile but nothing like high end GPU's or CPU's), I think its more for Vega, as it really needs to be on top of things if GF is having issues with Polaris/14nm, it shouldn't be a supply issue on GF side, cause AMD is their biggest customer, so they would have planned accordingly. No use of paying more for really nothing.

well PS4 and Xbox aren't really high performance parts run of the mill stuff (higher than mobile but nothing like high end GPU's or CPU's), I think its more for Vega, as it really needs to be on top of things if GF is having issues with Polaris/14nm, it shouldn't be a supply issue on GF side, cause AMD is their biggest customer, so they would have planned accordingly. No use of paying more for really nothing.

I meant the same PS4 and xbox chips will probably be fine for GF. You are right I am wondering now if Vega is being made elsewhere. because new consoles are coming out to, it might be better to make console stuff and mobility stuff at gf and move over the higher end performance parts to less problematic Fab. I think samsung will probably will be better, as there was an rumor AMD will be making chips there. I am wondering if amd is shifting Zen and Vega to other fab.

Back