AMD Tech Tour Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
ozziegn said:
amdshow9.jpg


Not pictured: the X64 hat, AMD USB hub, AMD headphones. (Ozziegn left too early to get it; it's given out at the end)
 
As far as the hat, the headphones, and the USB hub, I was there until the end. They did give out the hats but not the other stuff.

On another note, the Tyan board in the server bundle will fit in one of the Antec SX1000 series cases, but you will need to make some modifications. One of the CPU fans will interfere with BOTH drive caddies, so the 3.5 bays cannot be used as is. I removed both drive caddies. I then drilled two holes in the top of one of those caddies and slung it under the framework where the lower one was supposed to slide in. A couple of thumb screws later and I was done. This left that caddy just above the bottom of the case. It's a temporary solution, but it did not ruin the case. When I get an EATX case that I like, I can put the SX1000 back to standard configuration.
 
selizo said:
On a side note, I probably won't sell anything which has a "not for resale" sticker on it

What parts have a "Not for resale" sticker on them?
 
Man this is too tempting. My bonus this mid-year is (hopefully) about 1475(post tax) and I really want a mountain bike (full suspension like a Kona Dawg or a Specialized Stump Jumper), but how can you pass up such a deal as this (adding some ram and a PSU to upgrade current system)? Maybe I could squeeze out both of them if I eat top ramen for the next month.
 
mryerse said:
Notice that the 3200 is retail, not OEM. Past posts said it was OEM, it must depend on what event you go to or something...

I thought the 3200+ was retail and the Opteron's were OEM. Did anyone get retail Opteron's?

Has anyone actually gotten the Opteron 246 C0's to work on the Tyan Thunder K8WE?
 
Hmm, I thought I saw someone say the 3200's were oem, maybe I am wrong/mis-understood. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see people getting retails.
 
i'm sorry if someone's already posted/answered this but does anyone have any good reviews of the a8n-e (word of mouth or otherwise)? does it overclock well?

if I got some tccd ram, would it be better to get a DFI board so I could pump the voltage, or is it really that big of a performance gain?
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
I thought the 3200+ was retail and the Opteron's were OEM. Did anyone get retail Opteron's?

Has anyone actually gotten the Opteron 246 C0's to work on the Tyan Thunder K8WE?


I will know Thursday evening when I get off from work; ChiefValue took a day longer to ship them to me than expected...
 
generelz said:
i'm sorry if someone's already posted/answered this but does anyone have any good reviews of the a8n-e (word of mouth or otherwise)? does it overclock well?

if I got some tccd ram, would it be better to get a DFI board so I could pump the voltage, or is it really that big of a performance gain?

From what I've read it is really stable and does overclock well, but I haven't used it myself. I'm planning OC'ing with it. I will let you know when I get it on 7/12 :p
 
NecessaryEvil said:
I will know Thursday evening when I get off from work; ChiefValue took a day longer to ship them to me than expected...

So all your waiting on is ram? All I am waiting on is CPU's.
 
Has anyone seen a list of recommended memory for the K8SD? I see from its specs page that it will allow non-ECC memory (up to what amount of RAM?), but usually you can find a list of tested memory modules for a given MB. I haven't had much success yet. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Does anyone want to pick me up the desktop bundle? Stupid grad school and class attendance is keeping me from going to the one in Houston....Trying to get my friend to get me one... Any austin people driving to dallas?
 
Virtblue said:
aye indead they are dang, and i just got the $$, at lesat ebay will be flooded by cheap 246's :)

If they don't work on the Tyan K8WE (S2895) than yes I imagine there will be several on Ebay.

Probably not mine though. I'll build a server out of the bundle. I'll just get new Opteron's for my K8WE.
 
I have a question about the next MS action pack or any MS future action pack. (The action pack from Microsoft allows system builders to get lots of software for $300 the first year, and $200 the year after.)

Does anyone expect that we will be getting the Win XP Pro 64 bit OS? Seems like many people really value this 64 bit OS. I noticed some people in this thread want the 64 bit OS and not the hardware.

Thanks.

One more question: what is the big deal about the Tyan K8WE (S2895)? I see it has firewire, and a graphics port. (I forget which kind of graphics port). These are obviously good things. Are there any other things which make this board great? How is it so much better than the server deal from the AMD tech tour?
 
Pocatello said:
One more question: what is the big deal about the Tyan K8WE (S2895)? I see it has firewire, and a graphics port. (I forget which kind of graphics port). These are obviously good things. Are there any other things which make this board great? How is it so much better than the server deal from the AMD tech tour?

Big deal is it has a graphics port. The bundled motherboard does not have AGP or PCI-E to the best of my knowledge. You will have to run a PCI card or the integrated solution. Please correct me if I am wrong.



 
Would someone be willing to pick me up the $250 bundle? I don't live any where close to any of those locations. PM me if you would like to help another [H]ard member out. Thanks in advance.
 
VoBoy said:
Sold out for now.
I hope that they will have more by the time July comes around and I can actually buy some for myself :)

cannot wait to find out if the Opterons will work in the K8WE...
 
Dang, sold out. Hope they get more. Otherwise looks like I'll be buying a nice mountain bike instead :D
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
If they don't work on the Tyan K8WE (S2895) than yes I imagine there will be several on Ebay.

Probably not mine though. I'll build a server out of the bundle. I'll just get new Opteron's for my K8WE.
1st
The C0 steeping aparently works on the K8WE but some of the power settings do not work and nTune locks up, so no overclocking.

even if the c0's dont work in the new revisions of the s2895 there are still 3 more dual opteron sli boards to come in the next month, from gigabyte, iwill and supermicro

2nd

I just emailed AMD about the stock issue and this is the response i got
Mr. --------,-------



Greetings and due to the huge response for the Tech Tour events we're hoping in having our inventory replenished soon.



Please stay in touch and we look forward in assisting you.



Thank you,



Marketbuilder
Tech Tour Team
 
Virtblue said:
1st
The C0 steeping aparently works on the K8WE but some of the power settings do not work and nTune locks up, so no overclocking.

even if the c0's dont work in the new revisions of the s2895 there are still 3 more dual opteron sli boards to come in the next month, from gigabyte, iwill and supermicro

2nd

I just emailed AMD about the stock issue and this is the response i got

Well, IWill does already have a SLi board out. I've not seen it for sale, but its been on thier site forever. However it doesn't support dedicated memory for each processor. So no NUMA goodness from that board. Gigabyte is a junk brand in my opinion. (I've not had good experiences with them ever) and Supermicro, is an awesome company with a great rep, but I've sold off all my components to make this upgrade. I am without a computer for the most part until I get this done. So time is a factor for me. I'd hate to wait on limited stock of boards for this. Plus I've already purchased my K8WE.

So if the C0's don't work, I'll sell them and get new Opterons. Or I'll use the bundled board and chips to make a dedicated gaming box.

Really, single core Opteron 246's aren't that expensive. So I'll be ok if the C0's don't work. If the power management features don't work so be it. I don't care about that. NTune not working right sucks, but ultimately that's not a deal breaker for me.
 
Pocatello said:
I have a question about the next MS action pack or any MS future action pack. (The action pack from Microsoft allows system builders to get lots of software for $300 the first year, and $200 the year after.)

Does anyone expect that we will be getting the Win XP Pro 64 bit OS?

I don't see why not, as one of the whole ideas behind that package is for OEMS/VARS/etc to be current on MS products. Personally this is why I didn't buy the Server bundle. I already have a "server" and don't feel like shelling out a lot of extra money for a new power supply, RAM, etc; especially when all I really want is Server 2003 (legitamtely!). I also don't care about 64bits in this application either. So I'll be grabbing a new sub to the action pack, get what I need and save some money in the process. (Defintately buying the desktop bundle though)

Now this is JMHO, but I'm predicting a SERIOUS glut of server bundle components on eBay (and similar sites) over the next few months. Therefore I think some of you with visions of making $$$$$ by "reselling" the parts might want to think twice. Or at the very least wait several months before trying to sell your parts.

Regards,
fastgeek
 
NecessaryEvil said:
(Ozziegn left too early to get it; it's given out at the end)

yup.

I was there long enough to grab my bundle and to stuff my piehole w/ some chicken wings and I was out of there. :p
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
Well, IWill does already have a SLi board out. I've not seen it for sale, but its been on thier site forever. However it doesn't support dedicated memory for each processor. So no NUMA goodness from that board. Gigabyte is a junk brand in my opinion. (I've not had good experiences with them ever) and Supermicro, is an awesome company with a great rep, but I've sold off all my components to make this upgrade. I am without a computer for the most part until I get this done. So time is a factor for me. I'd hate to wait on limited stock of boards for this. Plus I've already purchased my K8WE.

So if the C0's don't work, I'll sell them and get new Opterons. Or I'll use the bundled board and chips to make a dedicated gaming box.

Really, single core Opteron 246's aren't that expensive. So I'll be ok if the C0's don't work. If the power management features don't work so be it. I don't care about that. NTune not working right sucks, but ultimately that's not a deal breaker for me.

The bundled board has no agp or pci-e :(. The supermicro board you can buy but its not offcialy supported by super micro so the sli bridge is a tricky one and so are bios updates see this
thread.

yes gigabyte has had some stability problems with its past boards but hopefully it can pull its new board off. It runs same nforce set up as the tyan and uses the AMD 8132. the golden point for this mobo is if they will use a enthusiast aimed bios, if so twill rock.
 
Are they sold out of the desktop bundle, the server bundle, or both? The link to the bundles you can buy on the site has been taken down.
 
peterhoang2002 said:
Oh dammit! They're sold out?!?!?!?

They better get some more soon before the burbank and the irvine show..

Yeah, They Better! :mad:
 
Virtblue said:
The bundled board has no agp or pci-e :(. The supermicro board you can buy but its not offcialy supported by super micro so the sli bridge is a tricky one and so are bios updates see this
thread.

yes gigabyte has had some stability problems with its past boards but hopefully it can pull its new board off. It runs same nforce set up as the tyan and uses the AMD 8132. the golden point for this mobo is if they will use a enthusiast aimed bios, if so twill rock.

What I meant was that I'd use the bundled Tyan board for another workstation/server. Primarily its gaming would be of the dedicated server variety. So it wouldn't need good video. The onboard would suffice.

Basically if the C0's don't work, I'll have to either put them to another use, or replace them with Opteron's of a more compatible stepping.
 
They better be sold out just for the people trying to buy now. If I drive all the way up from Austin to Dallas and they don't have any for me after prepaying, I will be pissed!
 
That sucks!
I want to go to the show in Burbank! I hope they get some more equipment soon. :mad:
 
FalseGod said:
They better be sold out just for the people trying to buy now. If I drive all the way up from Austin to Dallas and they don't have any for me after prepaying, I will be pissed!

Yes, I will be ready to hurt people. Especially when I bought a K8WE and ECC Registered ram for the dual Opteron setup.
 
It looks like they have pulled the bundle deals, the link states that they are sold out. I am glad I got in to get a server bundle, just wish I could order a desktop bundle also.
 
mryerse said:
Dang, sold out. Hope they get more. Otherwise looks like I'll be buying a nice mountain bike instead :D

Wonder if there's any chance they come out with a better bundle. I would have gotten the
server bundle but I didnt like the motherboard, and didnt want to go through the ebay hassle.
 
GlimmerMan said:
Wonder if there's any chance they come out with a better bundle. I would have gotten the
server bundle but I didnt like the motherboard, and didnt want to go through the ebay hassle.

I wouldn't have worried about that. The software, and the processors alone were worth $500.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
I wouldn't have worried about that. The software, and the processors alone were worth $500.

The software didnt mean too much to me. I would have installed linux on the system. And kept the Windows Server for the future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top