AMD Tech Tour Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I think I'll buy the desktop bundle, now I just need a good power supply with 24 pin connector. Any idea how to find out which power supplies are 24 pin? I've looked on newegg and it doesn't say which are 24 pin and which are 20. I believe the one I nwated to get is only 20 :(

joeshmo1985 said:
Ok I think I'll buy the desktop bundle, now I just need a good power supply with 24 pin connector. Any idea how to find out which power supplies are 24 pin? I've looked on newegg and it doesn't say which are 24 pin and which are 20. I believe the one I nwated to get is only 20 :(

Look for ATX12V 2.0

Those are usually 24 Pin. Just about all the new Antec cases are 24pin.

yeah ill be switching out my 3200 754 and asus k8v se deluxe for the 3200 939, hope the windows xp doesnt freak out....... server kit i may part out and sell seperatly... considering the flood.....

To anyone who has been to one of these things ... does arriving late (1-2 hr) cause any problems?

so does anyone know what time we can pick up our bundles?

quite honestly, I just want to get there and grab my bundle and then head out.

I could care less about hearing a bunch of AMD employees bashing and saying how much better their processors are over the Intels (like they always do at every show they do).

bleh...................................

joeshmo1985 said:

if you look at the pictures on newegg i believe most of them have a picture that shows how many pins there are. I don't know why they don't just put the specs in the description.

ozziegn said:
so does anyone know what time we can pick up our bundles?

quite honestly, I just want to get there and grab my bundle and then head out.

I could care less about hearing a bunch of AMD employees bashing and saying how much better their processors are over the Intels (like they always do at every show they do).

bleh...................................

They gave them out during lunch at Chicago.

Anyone else have anything different happen?

I'd say show up around 5 and you should be ok.

For anyone who's already gotten their bundle, I'm assuming that the parts come with the standard warranty, 3 years or whatever it is. Can someone confirm this for me? Also, for anyone who's been to the show, this may sound stupid, but how was everyone dessed (shorts & tshirt, khakis & polo, whatever), just don't wanna look out of place. :)

OEM Opterons likely only have 1 year.

As far as dress went, in Chicago, there were people in business casual, a few in business formal, and a few of us in shorts & t-shirts.

I was one of the shorts & t-shirts guys, but in my defense, it had our company logo...and was basically the "uniform" worn at the LAN Parties we host.

I will be attending the NJ event on July 21st, I am only getting the desktop bundle, if anyone interested to get the server bundle with little fee, please let me know and we can work things out.

Wayny said:
if anyone interested to get the server bundle with little fee, please let me know and we can work things out.

Fee?? Do it for free man..help support your fellow [H] breathren who have saved you a slot of money over the times

SignalSoldier said:
Fee?? Do it for free man..help support your fellow [H] breathren who have saved you a slot of money over the times

thats what I'm saying...

I already have my bundle sold but I dont even have it yet. :p

basically I'm going to drive roughly 4 hours (round trip) on Tuesday so I can get a desktop bundle for which I'm only going to use the 64 bit OS. I already sold the CPU and motherboard for $200.

yes, I'm sure I couldve gotten a little bit more for the two things but I didnt care. $200 is enough for me.

i'm still not sure whether i'm going to go to the NJ one. depends if i can get out of work. but if i do go someone can kick me loot for the desktop parts. i will likely keep XP-64 though to use on my rig. so if you want some parts PM me in a few weeks as the NJ tour date approaches.

ozziegn said:
thats what I'm saying...

I already have my bundle sold but I dont even have it yet. :p

basically I'm going to drive roughly 4 hours (round trip) on Tuesday so I can get a desktop bundle for which I'm only going to use the 64 bit OS. I already sold the CPU and motherboard for $200.

yes, I'm sure I couldve gotten a little bit more for the two things but I didnt care. $200 is enough for me.

And Firebomb (the guy I bought it for) truly appreciates that gesture! (Firebomb didn't have the money at the time, and therefore missed out.)

We drove almost 7 hours total...I bought the desktop bundle for the OS, just as Ozzeign is...and ended up selling off the desktop bundle hardware to a friend of mine before going to the show(I guess that means I bought it for someone else, right?).

A small fee in order to cover any paypal fees is not at all unreasonable...but it's laughable (or depressing) how many people do this just with the sole purpose of tossing it on ebay or to turn a massive profit. Admittedly, I put my Opteron mobo on ebay, and got $283 out of it...but I was going for the Opterons, and both OS's. I knew going in I'd need a new mobo...and the $283 went towards that endeavour.

Meh...I dunno. I want to hear how everyone's doing as far as OC's on that 3200+ combo though..

Tommarow my K8WE should arrive. I'm exited. Unfortunatley I won't have Opteron's for it until the 21st.

Can someone please tell me what the process for picking these up is? Can I just go in and pick up my pre-ordered bundle or do I have to sign in early and listen to a speech first?

seems like u pick them up around 6:30 or something when its supper time and people are able to eat and/or pick up their bundle by getting in some kind of line and i think u could leave right after.

is it worth it for me to drive 300 miles (there and back) to get one hell of a good deal on computer parts? I'd need to get a new graphics card, so that would suck too. (unless I get a hammer and try to put my agp card in a pci express slot)

Bugalaman said:
is it worth it for me to drive 300 miles (there and back) to get one hell of a good deal on computer parts? I'd need to get a new graphics card, so that would suck too. (unless I get a hammer and try to put my agp card in a pci express slot)

Personally I would say yes.

Bugalaman said:

I'm doing it,... Jeez, my dad even told me i HAD to do it,... alot of help he is.
But i'm selling off alot of stuff to make up the difference.

If these Opteron 246's are the C0 stepping, that sucks. According to Tyan's compatibility chart http://www.tyan.com/support/html/cpu_athlon_duron_opteron.html The CO stepping is not supported with the K8WE. I hope I am reading that wrong because I am tempted to make the drive from Phoenix Arizona to either Irvine or Burbank if they will work in that motherboard. If they will work is anybody up for a carpool from Phoenix Metro to Cali?

Bugalaman said:

300 miles there and back? I did 400. 7 hours of driving. At least this year I had hardware to show for it, unlike in 02 when I did it and all I got was a green LED pen....

kronarq said:
If these Opteron 246's are the C0 stepping, that sucks. According to Tyan's compatibility chart http://www.tyan.com/support/html/cpu_athlon_duron_opteron.html The CO stepping is not supported with the K8WE. I hope I am reading that wrong because I am tempted to make the drive from Phoenix Arizona to either Irvine or Burbank if they will work in that motherboard. If they will work is anybody up for a carpool from Phoenix Metro to Cali?

what's the difference between the cg + and c0?

All I see on the die is CAATC and a manufacture date of 0423

As a reminder, I'm still looking to hitch a ride if anybody from the Raleigh/Durham area is heading to the Atlanta event. I'd *really* like to pick up one of these desktop bundles, but can't handle the 6-hour-per-way drive by myself, and can't foot some of the more "robust" service-fees that people would likely charge to pick one up for me. :)

If anybody's willing to share their ride for some gas money and/or help driving and/or help with any parking fees, please let me know at jamester -at- duke -dot- edu.

Thanks!

kronarq said:

That doesn't mean they won't work, however.

Wow, this is exciting me greatly. I just registered for the Seattle event. Too bad it's not really in Seattle but north in Lynwood. I think my neighbor and I will carpool to work that day so we can head up to Lynwood after work. I don't have the money for the bundles, but I'll try to come up with it by then since it's such an awesome deal. Maybe I could have a real server now.
But what would I do with it... protome folding or something. Are there even any folding projects that work on 64bit OS? Maybe it would be good at ripping DVD's.

The desktop would be a nice upgrade for my current system. I have an Athlon 1800+. All I would need on top of this bundle is some RAM which is not much at all. This is looking to be a really good deal.

I'd like to hear from more people who got some of the bundles.

Has anyone successfully gotten the Tyan K8WE to work with tne Opteron 246's from the tech tour bundle?

Folding @ home will run on the 64bit OS but as 32bit software, to the best of my knowledge. Good luck getting the money.

I'm probably the closest one to getting the K8WE working.

I've got the mobo, the CPUs, the PSU, the heatsinks...

I've ordered the RAM...

But I'm stuck on the PCI-E.

WAIT!!!

I can always use a PCI videocard, right? I'll borrow one from a friend...if all goes well, I can give you guys a definite answer Wednesday evening..

NecessaryEvil said:
I'm probably the closest one to getting the K8WE working.

I've got the mobo, the CPUs, the PSU, the heatsinks...

I've ordered the RAM...

But I'm stuck on the PCI-E.

WAIT!!!

I can always use a PCI videocard, right? I'll borrow one from a friend...if all goes well, I can give you guys a definite answer Wednesday evening..

Yes you can. I've got the video cards, the ram, PSU, motherboard arrives today, but I've got NO CPU's.

I've got to wait until the 21st to pick those up.

I'd really like to think that AMD wouldn't be offering a bundle that wasn't compatible with the parts said bundle consists of. Let's give them a little credit here.

Part of me still wants the server bundle, but apart from making my e-penis bigger, I really don't have a need/use/want for it. Besides, sounds like these new 3200+ chips are damn spiffy. And provided that my current 540W Antec will play nice with this new 24pin MB + the Vapo I'll be a happy camper... just have to buy a PCIe card. A or N... hmmm.

Regards,
fastgeek

i could go to the one in east brunswick, its pretty close to me. do i HAVE to have a business? cause the amd athlon 64 combo is a GREAT deal.

Thermite Paste said:
i could go to the one in east brunswick, its pretty close to me. do i HAVE to have a business? cause the amd athlon 64 combo is a GREAT deal.

Make one up.

mryerse said:
According to www.microsoft.com Server 2003 Enterprise is $3999. Is there something I should know about this copy for $500?

It's not enterprise, it's just standard edition I think. It's also a 5-user license that's supposed to not be for resale.

There have been previous posters reporting they got enterprise. Hoping that will be confirmed with others as well.

it is Enterprise Edition. I'm not sure how many licenses, if any, are included. And nowhere on the CD does it say not for resale....

the mobo they give out(2882/K8SD Pro)is compatible with the Opterons. The question is on the 2895/K8WE that most of are us that are looking into making it a workstation instead of a server are wanting to use.

I've got everything except the RAM...I'm hoping to have them by Wednesday...

There are people at K8WE.com that have c0s working, from what I understand. according to them, they might not OC well, but I'm not going to be doing that anyway.

If htey don't work...anyone want some C0s? I've invested far too much into a dual opteron system to just turn around and go A64...I'm in it for the long haul now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back