AMD Tech Tour Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
blah.. being a college student blows.. I can only afford the 3200+ package. :(
lol i wish i could trade AMD some things for the $500 opterons... i have a lot of shizz haha

rhyx said:
Also if anyone is from Gainesville and wants to carpool, I've got a big comfy Crown Victoria that is looking for riders that want to split gas. Same email folks!

damn.... you're looking at a good four to five hour drive from Gainsville.

I say that because I live in Lake county and its a good 1 hour, 45 minute drive from my house to Tampa and I know that Gainesville is at least two hours north of me.

man.... thats what I call die[H]ard. :p

StinkyMojo said:
blah.. being a college student blows.. I can only afford the 3200+ package. :(
lol i wish i could trade AMD some things for the $500 opterons... i have a lot of shizz haha

Sell your kidney, that's what I did.

ozziegn said:
damn.... you're looking at a good four to five hour drive from Gainsville.

I say that because I live in Lake county and its a good 1 hour, 45 minute drive from my house to Tampa and I know that Gainesville is at least two hours north of me.

man.... thats what I call die[H]ard. :p

Uhm, I'm confused? The Tampa venue is about 130 miles from where I am at according to Mapquest. It says 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Try it yourself:
5223 Orient Road - Tampa, FL
Gainesville is zip code 32611.

Not sure what you are thinking? If I'm way off here please let me know before I try to find this place in Tampa.

For anybody who got the server bundle, does Server 2003 have "Not for resale" written all over it? I don't really need it and it could help offset the cost of some of the other components (RAM, PSU, case) I would need. Would it be legal to put it up on ebay?

rhyx said:
Uhm, I'm confused? The Tampa venue is about 130 miles from where I am at according to Mapquest. It says 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Try it yourself:

Not sure what you are thinking? If I'm way off here please let me know before I try to find this place in Tampa.

I live in Tampa now and went to UF. Yeah, you're about 2 hours away. You'll just come straight down 75, and then when you get to I4, I believe you'll just go West for a little bit and the Hard Rock will be off one of those exits. Not a bad drive at all.

I am in Lake City but ill so lucky to have a mate in tampa he is going to pick it up for me <sing> Thats what friends are forrrrrr <sing>

rhyx said:

Try it yourself:

okay, I might have overestimated the four or five hour remark but there is NO WAY in hell that you're going to get from Gainesville to Tampa in 2 hours. no way.

Jesus man, it takes almost 2 hours just to get from Gainesville to Wildwood on I75. now figure another hour or so from Wildwood to Tampa.

2 hours from Gainesville to Tampa? thats funny, really funny. :p

ozziegn said:
okay, I might have overestimated the four or five hour remark but there is NO WAY in hell that you're going to get from Gainesville to Tampa in 2 hours. no way.

Jesus man, it takes almost 2 hours just to get from Gainesville to Wildwood on I75. now figure another hour or so from Wildwood to Tampa.

[JOKE] What makes you guys think he's not flying a helicopter?[/JOKE]

rhyx said:

Try it yourself:

Only two hours. I'm in Gainesville for school, but I'm from Tampa so I would know :p

ozziegn said:
Jesus man, it takes almost 2 hours just to get from Gainesville to Wildwood on I75.

Gainesville: Exits 382-390 on highway.
Wildwood: Exit 329. You can check this.
That's 61 miles at the farthest. 70 mph on highway.

And anyway, I'm going to the tech tour as well. I'll carry a stopwatch :rolleyes:

anyone else having trouble checking out on the pre-order website?

I'd be willing to pick up the server bundle for someone for a little service charge...I'm going to the one in ATL.

edit: ok, finally got it ordered. apparently the order site doesn't like firefox (I had to use IE to get through the whole checkout process without getting server errors)

ozziegn said:

I can do Gainsville to the Wilwood exit in well under 1 hr closer to 40 mins. If you aren't driving 85 you are going to get run over.

That said I will be there too. If some one wants a desktop bundle I can pick them up one.

generelz said:
anyone else having trouble checking out on the pre-order website?

I'd be willing to pick up the server bundle for someone for a little service charge...I'm going to the one in ATL.

edit: ok, finally got it ordered. apparently the order site doesn't like firefox (I had to use IE to get through the whole checkout process without getting server errors)

Same here. I told the webmaster in an email. He responded to it. He acknowledged that there were some issues. Didn't say he'd fix them. Suggested I used IE for the process. Which meant cranking my IE security way down. My defaults for IE wouldn't let me use the site. I got similar issues as I did in Firefox.

Still wanting to know what stepping the Opterons are. If anyone knows.

draksia said:
That said I will be there too. If some one wants a desktop bundle I can pick them up one.

how can u get more than one bundle?

the details from AMD say that you can only get a bundle if you pre-pay on the AMD site with a credit card. otherwise you cannot just buy one directly at the show.

Hey all- I found this over @ 2cpu from the Chicago event.

The server bundle includes 2 "C0" 246 Opterons (no heatsink, tray packaging), motherboard is retail (WITHOUT SCSI; they recently made the correction when purchasing the bundle), os is windows xp 64 ENTERPRISE server in dvd style case.

generelz YGPM

ozziegn said:
how can u get more than one bundle?

the details from AMD say that you can only get a bundle if you pre-pay on the AMD site with a credit card. otherwise you cannot just buy one directly at the show.

The part I read said you can get only one of each bundle type.

Beave said:
i have to decide whether i want a laptop or a desktop for college.

soooo tough; i like the combo deal; and i like the ibm thinkpad. i want both.

Get both =)...althought for the desktop, I recommend a shuttle...I brought a full tower rig to school this year, and it's just too fricken big. Moving in/out was a pain, and it took up a ton of space, was noisy, and put out lots of heat. Shuttle for the win =) Gonna use the shuttle in my room, laptop in the library.

I haven't read through all these posts yet - although I do intend to.

However: I am at work right now, so it may be a while.

THAT SAID: If anybody from the Raleigh/Durham area is heading to the Atlanta gig, I'd be willing to pitch in with gas and driving if someone wanted to share the expenses and the drive.

OTHERWISE: If anybody is going, and doesn't want the desktop bundle, I'd like one - and I'd be willing to kick in a reasonable "service charge".

PM me or email me at jamester at duke dot edu.

Thanks!

some of you guys need to realize that you'll need to prepay for either bundle in advance before you go to the show.

its my understanding that they will not be selling the bundles at the show(s) itself.

icthus13 said:
Only two hours. I'm in Gainesville for school, but I'm from Tampa so I would know :p

Gainesville: Exits 382-390 on highway.
Wildwood: Exit 329. You can check this.
That's 61 miles at the farthest. 70 mph on highway.

And anyway, I'm going to the tech tour as well. I'll carry a stopwatch :rolleyes:

70mph?

Please, I drive a police car... try 90+

I'm going to the Atlanta show next week, and I can pick up a desktop and server bundle for anyone who's interested, price plus shipping and service fee. PM me or send an e-mail to my username at speedfactory.net.

I just built my SFF system, and I'm going to wait for Longhorn to come out for my next upgrade.

ozziegn said:
some of you guys need to realize that you'll need to prepay for either bundle in advance before you go to the show.

its my understanding that they will not be selling the bundles at the show(s) itself.

I'm sure we could get a confirmation from the guy's that have already been to one, but from what everyone has read, you can get ONE of EACH bundle (server and/or desktop) and you have to prepay, show up with the confirmation email for the order and your credit card and drivers liscense.

And it has to be your credit card, so if any of you young'uns used your parents credit card, its gonna be a no go.

What are people planning to use for memory and PSUs for the Opteron bundle? I not in the Server know-how and want to make sure I get the right stuff. Same issue with HSF although I think I can handle that one.

Hito Bahadur said:
What are people planning to use for memory and PSUs for the Opteron bundle? I not in the Server know-how and want to make sure I get the right stuff. Same issue with HSF although I think I can handle that one.

Many of the Athlon 64 heatsinks and fans will work. The Opteron mounting setup is the same and the CPU dimensions are pretty close. The PSU in my sig is one of Enermax's 4 in 1 designs and is EPS 12v compliant. I have purchased a Tyan K8WE (S2895) motherboard to handle my dual video cards.

As for memory, I went with something cheap to get it up and running. I chose 2x512MB Corsiar Registered ECC DIMMs which can be found on Newegg pretty cheaply. I think it was 140 bucks for the pair. I'll get some 1GB chips later more than likely. I want four gigs of ram.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Many of the Athlon 64 heatsinks and fans will work. The Opteron mounting setup is the same and the CPU dimensions are pretty close. The PSU in my sig is one of Enermax's 4 in 1 designs and is EPS 12v compliant. I have purchased a Tyan K8WE (S2895) motherboard to handle my dual video cards.

As for memory, I went with something cheap to get it up and running. I chose 2x512MB Corsiar Registered ECC DIMMs which can be found on Newegg pretty cheaply. I think it was 140 bucks for the pair. I'll get some 1GB chips later more than likely. I want four gigs of ram.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably be just using the onboard video since this won't be my primary rig so I'm guessing a 500W solution will be enough.

These are the 2 ATX12v/EPS12v PSUs that show up on Newegg. Any comments?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=58&Submit=Property

Waffles730 said:
For anybody who got the server bundle, does Server 2003 have "Not for resale" written all over it? I don't really need it and it could help offset the cost of some of the other components (RAM, PSU, case) I would need. Would it be legal to put it up on ebay?
Anybody know?

The TOS or related document expressly prohibits the sale of these bundles, making the sale illegal.

rhyx said:
Please, I drive a police car... try 90+

not me.

as I've gotten older, I've learned that driving anything over 10 MPH over the speed limit doesnt do anything for you except raising the possibilities of attracting any local badges nearby.

nope, not me. I havent had any tickets in over ten years and it feels pretty darn good. ;)

(and so do the lower insurance rates. :p )

Hito Bahadur said:
Thanks for the info. I'll probably be just using the onboard video since this won't be my primary rig so I'm guessing a 500W solution will be enough.

These are the 2 ATX12v/EPS12v PSUs that show up on Newegg. Any comments?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=58&Submit=Property

I wish I had something to say. Good or bad. I haven't used either of them, and I've never heard of them either.

The only other PSU solution that you can find that's Xeon compatible on that site, that I know of is the one in my sig, which just happens to be one of Enermax's 4 in 1 series. Which also does EPS12v.

I hear good things about Zippy PSU's and of course PC Power & Cooling. However I think those are very expensive.

ozziegn said:
not me.

as I've gotten older, I've learned that driving anything over 10 MPH over the speed limit doesnt do anything for you except raising the possibilities of attracting any local badges nearby.

nope, not me. I havent had any tickets in over ten years and it feels pretty darn good. ;)

(and so do the lower insurance rates. :p )

I am with you there. My car attracts enough attention without going fast.

Hito Bahadur said:

As far as Memory goes, I was looking at getting 2gb of Corsair XMS ECC Registered...but found it just as expensive to get 4gb of Corsair Value Select ECC Registered.

So, I've got 4x1gb sticks en route.

HSF, I'd already picked up a Thermaltake Sonic Tower for what was to be a dual-core Athlon setup...I figured if it could be passively cooled and be adequate, my active cooling would be icing on the cakie.
I picked up a second one, and will be running low noise 45CFM 120mm fans between the fins.

As far as PSU goes,click me for pics

NecessaryEvil said:
As far as Memory goes, I was looking at getting 2gb of Corsair XMS ECC Registered...but found it just as expensive to get 4gb of Corsair Value Select ECC Registered.

So, I've got 4x1gb sticks en route.

HSF, I'd already picked up a Thermaltake Sonic Tower for what was to be a dual-core Athlon setup...I figured if it could be passively cooled and be adequate, my active cooling would be icing on the cakie.
I picked up a second one, and will be running low noise 45CFM 120mm fans between the fins.

As far as PSU goes, I wanted a PC Power & Cooling...and decided that since they couldn't meet my initial deadline, I'd hold off and get them to custom build it to my needs (I needed more SATA power cables). While I was at it, I decided to make it futureproof and get the 8 pin ATX 12V used in SMP systems, with a converter to go from 8 to 4 pin. It seemse this was a wise choice.

So, I guess my answer would be a custom-built 510 SLI-Deluxe.

The setup in your sig is very close to my final machine specs. Of course you've got more ram, and I'll be getting more a bit later. How is that system in games? What stepping did your Opterons end up being?

Hey all, this is a stupid question but the mobo and processor are both retail correct? If so, I'm assuming that they come with the standard warranties as well, can anyone confirm this for me? Also, if I do decide to go, I really don't want the 64 bit version of windows for the new rig I'm gonna build, so if anyone would like to trade xp pro or home(preferrably pro and unused, but beggars can't be choosers) pm me. Now I just have to decide if I want to use the 3200 venice and the asus board socket 939 or use a dfi lanparty board and a socket 754 3200. Decisions decisions.

PS: I believe the mobo requires a 24 pin power supply, is this correct? If so, I don't see it displayed on neweeg whether the power supplies are 20 pin or 24 pin, am I missing something? Would the THERMALTAKE Silent Purepower W0014RU ATX 480W Power Supply 100 - 240V I'm leaning towards be compatible with this board?

no-brainer there. Keep the 939 setup and deep-six that 754.

Sir: I am actually without a videocard at the moment, so I still don't have it up in order to get performance numbers. As long as it beats the 3500+ setup I had before, I'll be happy.

As far as retail goes...everything except the Opterons are retail kits. Software is, understandably, OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back