FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Trickster VR - Arm yourself with a bow and arrows, a magic sword that flies, or if you prefer, a handful of throwing darts. Then get ready to take on the procedurally generated fantasy world full of cartoonish Orcs, and more Orcs, and some other Orcs. Headshots count as well as chaining your shots so aim is critical. Did I mention the Orcs?

Thanks for the review. Hadn't heard of this one, I'll have to check it out.

Is it 10 VR reviews all with the same outcome now? I lost count of them.

Game looks fantastic. But I really want a higher res headset before jumping in :(

Is it 10 VR reviews all with the same outcome now? I lost count of them.

Game looks fantastic. But I really want a higher res headset before jumping in :(
I would not say the "same" outcome. That said, I have found no reason to shuffle the VR Leaderboard at all.

Since this game was developed on a GTX 770, it would have been interesting to see it thrown in for testing this time, considering the GTX 770 isn't even considered a VR-ready card.

One conclusion i can draw from the VR Bench series: when coded properly, the games run well on bothe types of hardware, green or red while nVidia is pulling away with a lead.

Wow. Imagine this as a front end to World of Warcraft!

By the way, on page 2 you write

My first three test runthroughs recorded average GPU Render Times within 10 thousandths of a millisecond of each other!

I think the readership here is happy with microseconds.

The 480 still dropping a lot of frames even in this easy game? VR premium?? Seriously?

You sure you are reading the numbers correctly? While I dislike AMD half ass attempt in VR, Trickster is a title where AMD actually show up.

I just want to say I really appreciate the recent spate of VR reviews. It's nice to have some good real world data as I look to invest in a VR setup later this year. Clearly it's 1070 or 1080 for best bang for buck with current hardware and titles.

I'll likely get a Vive due the roomscale focus. I've tried the Oculus Touch controllers and find them a fair bit better functionally and comfort wise than the Vive wands but murmurings out of Oculus still don't fully embrace roomscale, plus devs can't count on roomscale so there will likely be less support. Best option though is for me to get into VR dev myself which I am hoping to do by end of year... then I'll have to be provided with both setups for the best of both worlds ;)

Could AMD improvements be attributed to the more recent drivers? Looks like a fun game but does it not wear you out while playing? I can see after awhile each round one would get worst and maybe even more frustrated due to fatigue.

I'm sure you guys here have noticed the trend now.

Unity built games = runs well on NV & AMD.

Unreal Engine 4 built games = runs total shit on AMD.

It's no coincidence because UE4 is the epitome of GimpWorks in action.

NVIDIA GameWorks and UE4

Get Ready: Unreal Engine 4 to Incorporate NVIDIA GameWorks VR | NVIDIA Blog

Unreal Engine

When you get stuff like this, public endorsing and sponsorship of NVIDIA from Epic Games:

"Epic developed Unreal Engine 4 on NVIDIA hardware, and it looks and runs best on GeForce."

Tim Sweeney, founder, CEO and technical director of Epic Games.

Ultimately it is a problem for AMD because NV has wormed their proprietary tech into a major game engine, especially for indie devs and VR games. But don't ever pretend it's a fair comparison when you test UE4 built games. It's basically console exclusivity in action on the PC, the open gaming platform, where you have to get an NV GPU if you play certain titles that NV sponsors and every UE4 game.

NVIDIA GameWorks and UE4

Unreal Engine

When you get stuff like this, public endorsing and sponsorship of NVIDIA from Epic Games:

"Epic developed Unreal Engine 4 on NVIDIA hardware, and it looks and runs best on GeForce."

Ultimately it is a problem for AMD because NV has wormed their proprietary tech into a major game engine, especially for indie devs and VR games. But don't ever pretend it's a fair comparison when you test UE4 built games. It's basically console exclusivity in action on the PC, the open gaming platform, where you have to get an NV GPU if you play certain titles that NV sponsors and every UE4 game.

:cry:

NVIDIA GameWorks and UE4

Unreal Engine

If AMD would bother showing up with and working with Epic Games (e.g. giving them hardware and direct access to their developers) they would also be in the game. Don't think for one minute that sweeny and the shareholders would give up any form of market share just to use nVidia. That is foolish logic. Epic Games stands to make more money if they sell more product...PERIOD. In this case, nVidia showed up because they know that making the engine run good on their HW will sell more of their product and Epic Games knows that if their games run good on HW they will sell more as well. This idea of having perfect walls that separate companies is an Utopian joke that cannot happen in RL considering the complexities of today's technology.

:rolleyes:

You mean all of the completely unfounded accusations of GameWorks "crippling" AMD cards? Yeah, okay...

Theres a fork of Ue4 that integrates nvapi, it's not going to be used on amd hardware

Waiting for any SMP-enabled games, hope to see how much perf is gained.
I think that might be a while down the road. We are more likely to see other NV specific opitimizations first like MRS and VRSLI.

Back