FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Sword Master VR - Do you want to fight the Black Knight in a sword fight? There is not exactly a "Black Knight" in Sword Master VR, but you can certainly get that feeling. In fact, you can fight him and a couple of his friends at the same time if you are up to the challenge. Just pull the sword from the stone for $10.

Last edited:
The game is so worth it. I really enjoy it. Just like Kyle I have already hit my TV a third time now. I put on a folded bed sheet over my TV so in case of accidents it will absorb some of the impact and prevent scratches to the screen, but I need to figure out a better solution like maybe hang a large piece of cardboard in front of the TV before I play, but I need a 60" piece lol. I have been limiting my movements in the game so I stay kind of to the opposite side of my TV in the corner and try not to move. It makes the game harder but man hearing that thunk of accidentally hitting the TV makes my heart skip a beat every time.

Finally a premium VR experience for the RX 480, hurrah!

I wonder, can you put streamers (hanging beads, rope, cloth etc.) on the boundaries for a positive feedback vice HMD camera at boundary?

I've considered the ideal VR room...would have padded walls, lol.
Well let see there is Living Room, Bed Room Bath Room . . . VR Virtual Room or I would call it the Holodeck :D. I can see houses of the future having a Holodeck for a number of reasons - Shopping, playing games, education, keeping relatives away but visiting them etc.

I know it is not VR, but I would love to see a performance review of Forza Horizon 3. It has been a ton of fun so far, but it kicks my computer's ass.

On each of these it still shocks me that the 980Ti holds it's own so well considering all the "VR tweaks" nVidia claims are in Pascal. I am not dissatisfied with my Ti at all right now.

On each of these it still shocks me that the 980Ti holds it's own so well considering all the "VR tweaks" nVidia claims are in Pascal. I am not dissatisfied with my Ti at all right now.
Well, I think what you are seeing is that pretty much none of the performance increases that are touted in Pascal are being utilized yet. Pascal specifically brings with it; LMS, SPS, MRS, and VR SLI. Until we see UE4 and Unity put these in game engine branching, and can be used easily, which is moving forward, you can count on Pascal's talents not truly being shown. The bones are there, but getting these to work without bugs and causing other issues is holding it back currently. That said, we are in infancy of all this as well, so expectations should be managed. As for what is going on, on the AMD side of the fence with LiquidVR, I have yet to have a dev mention it to me except to say, they will not be using it.

Last edited:
This is all a very good point. I know in time those similarities will change. Maxwell IS the past. That all said, I haven't moved to VR yet. A bit too spendy for me when I'd actually have to buy two. My wife will want her own as soon as she sees what it can do. LOL
I think once SMP is implemented, there will be a nice bump for Pascal hardware.

It looks like MRS is moving out the fastest currently. SPS will half the geometry that it has to draw, which is what I think we will see after MRS.

I'm sorry but all these VR games don't deliver much from what I've seen. Developers are banking in on half-ass game releases because of the gimmick factor currently. Is it fun? Maybe but how long will these be fun for I wonder? It reminds me of when the Wii came out with all its terrible looking games. I would imagine they would be trying to push the envelope more so with VR because it is so immersive and yet all I see is outdated graphics with gimmicky game play.
Sorry if you are waiting for equivalent to a AAA game graphics in VR you will be waiting for awhile. Even at the current level of graphics some games already bring $1200 graphics cards to it's knees. The gimmick factor is always necessary in the beginning because most developers are still just figuring out how to deal with the control mechanisms and freedom it offers. The controls might have some similarities to the Wii but it is a far different beast. I find it amusing that people complain about how VR is all gimmicks fail to realize that even developers have to learn how to do things in VR. We have had 20+ years to figure out how to deal with a monitor and a KB, then KB/M, then joysticks, then widescreen monitors, then game pads, then dual analog stick game pads, then motion controls. And now that VR and room scale just came out they expect to have perfect polished controls, graphics and gameplay in 2 years assuming you started R&D with the kickstarter of Oculus, or less than a year if the dev waited for the release of the actual retail hardware.

In other words, it's fine to be disappointed and not want to buy into VR now, but seriously why complain now that it's all half-ass game releases when you know the technology just literally came out? People seem to think all current AAA games released came out of thin air as they are. News flash it didn't. Deus Ex Mankind Divided, wouldn't exist if it were not for DX:HR which wouldn't have existed without DX:Invisible War, which wouldn't have happened without Deus Ex, which wouldn't have happened without Doom, which wouldn't have happened without Wolfenstein3D, not to mention the other countless other games that contributed to it like thief series for the stealth abilities, third person games that break it out of it's general FPS view, etc, etc. I hate to break it to you but we are at around the Wolfenstein3D portion of VR and are still trying to figure out how to get to the doom level where we can actually look around the world instead of just left and right and how to deal with the extra freedom that gives. How about giving the developers some time to figure it out.

I'm all about giving them time to release something awesome. It just seems to me that this stuff is just getting pushed out there as soon as possible without actually having much time invested in them. These (what feels to me) cheap little games are coming out in troves for the VR with what seems very short development. I guess to flip to the positive is if they can pump out stuff like this pretty quickly what an actual game that took time to release and polish might be absolutely awesome. I have tried VR recently but not even close for a purchase yet for me because of the price tags associated with it. When it comes down in price and there are actually games worth buying this for I'd be all for it.

I shall wait!

Sorry if you are waiting for equivalent to a AAA game graphics in VR you will be waiting for awhile. Even at the current level of graphics some games already bring $1200 graphics cards to it's knees. The gimmick factor is always necessary in the beginning because most developers are still just figuring out how to deal with the control mechanisms and freedom it offers. The controls might have some similarities to the Wii but it is a far different beast. I find it amusing that people complain about how VR is all gimmicks fail to realize that even developers have to learn how to do things in VR. We have had 20+ years to figure out how to deal with a monitor and a KB, then KB/M, then joysticks, then widescreen monitors, then game pads, then dual analog stick game pads, then motion controls. And now that VR and room scale just came out they expect to have perfect polished controls, graphics and gameplay in 2 years assuming you started R&D with the kickstarter of Oculus, or less than a year if the dev waited for the release of the actual retail hardware.

In other words, it's fine to be disappointed and not want to buy into VR now, but seriously why complain now that it's all half-ass game releases when you know the technology just literally came out? People seem to think all current AAA games released came out of thin air as they are. News flash it didn't. Deus Ex Mankind Divided, wouldn't exist if it were not for DX:HR which wouldn't have existed without DX:Invisible War, which wouldn't have happened without Deus Ex, which wouldn't have happened without Doom, which wouldn't have happened without Wolfenstein3D, not to mention the other countless other games that contributed to it like thief series for the stealth abilities, third person games that break it out of it's general FPS view, etc, etc. I hate to break it to you but we are at around the Wolfenstein3D portion of VR and are still trying to figure out how to get to the doom level where we can actually look around the world instead of just left and right and how to deal with the extra freedom that gives. How about giving the developers some time to figure it out.
It is closer then you think, Doom VR is looking very promising with an evolved form of teleporting using your left hand controller - hold button down - slow mo - point arch and release and you game goes to full speed while you run there. You can just point and click and start travelling with no slo-mo. Anyways here is a discussion of the experience on YouTube. Looks like I very much look forward to putting on a Vive and going to hell to live :D.

Thanks for all the write-up Kyle. I ended up picking up the vive last week/setting up a full room partially because of your articles.

So far I have only had time for Sword Master and The Gallery, but just from playing those 2 games I am completely hooked. It was odd, I never thought that the mouse/large monitor was lacking, but just 1 hour of playing on the vive dramatically changed that opinion. Sure there are a ton of little issues that have to be ironed out to make VR a common household accessory, but there is no doubt in my mind that it will happen sooner rather than later.

Side note, I can only assume there are still a decent amount of folks like me that have regular 980 or gasp even worse running VR. I know it might be asking a lot to try to stick another card in the reviews, but if possible know it would appreciated seeing how much we would benefit upgrading from even older cards than the 980 ti. (I run 980 sli, and since I only have a dell U3415W I haven't have the desire to upgrade. Now of course since VR doesn't use sli yet it is has put me on cusp of a possible upgrade.) Maybe just a side note on just 1 or 2 games on how the 980 stacks against the 1070 or 1060?

Last edited:
Side note, I can only assume there are still a decent amount of folks like me that have regular 980 or gasp even worse running VR. I know it might be asking a lot to try to stick another card in the reviews, but if possible know it would appreciated seeing how much we would benefit upgrading from even older cards than the 980 ti. (I run 980 sli, and since I only have a dell U3415W I haven't have the desire to upgrade. Now of course since VR doesn't use sli yet it is has put me on cusp of a possible upgrade.) Maybe just a side note on just 1 or 2 games on how the 980 stacks against the 1070 or 1060?

Kyle gave me some pointers about where to dig out the diagnostics and I've slowly been working my way through some titles with my 390. There's just so much data there, that it's hard to distinguish the items that you want.

So far, the 390 has been hanging between the 480 and 1060 for the most part.

Good to know. So basically you are seeing a few less dropped frames than the 480? I figure no mater what I am going to be seeing a decent amount of reprojection, but so far I have noticed very few dropped frames in the 2 games I have been playing.

There are a lot of fun games any card can run. My favorite was the Zombie Training Simulator that came with the Vive. I don't think it's intensive at all either, but it's a ton of fun.

"Hard core" mode is at night... even though the zombies are cartoony it's surprisingly still gets you going.

As for sword master, not sure if I am loving this game enough to buy it. Problem with VR is a lot of games that look meh are awesome when you actually play them.

Key is do you want a game that is a lot of exercise, but is extremely immersive sword play? About 1 hour is all my body can keep up till I tend to be too slow to dodge/block. (Course during gameplay I find I am hooked in so much that I am taunting the AI to come at me, etc. My dog is starting to think I am crazy...)

I to the point where it is 1 on 3... all I seem to do is frantically wave my left sword as a blocking technique + constantly run around to stop them from circling behind me and hope that I can get a quick slice in with the right hand once in a while. (So think of it as jogging + punching air... that tires me out at least.)

The developer's upgrades sound like he is fully aware of where tweaks should go, so hopefully it will be tweaked a bit more. (And lets be honest it is only 10 bucks so well worth it.)

As for sword master, not sure if I am loving this game enough to buy it. Problem with VR is a lot of games that look meh are awesome when you actually play them.
If you own Vanishing Realms and like the sword fighting in it then this game you will most likely like this just as much. Just no shield, multiple concurrent enemies and more sword variety.

*Fair warning move any breakables and pad the walls or anything at the borders of the play space if possible. Also if you can touch the ceiling with the controller be aware you might really hit it in this game. I wish I had a 4m x 4m space. :)

This VR thing is starting to get my attention. Kyle - It would be really informative to see a video of you playing this. I have seen the picture of your setup and read the aritcles, but it would be nice to see how you use the space - especially after hearing how you nearly busted your TV and monitor.

This VR thing is starting to get my attention. Kyle - It would be really informative to see a video of you playing this. I have seen the picture of your setup and read the aritcles, but it would be nice to see how you use the space - especially after hearing how you nearly busted your TV and monitor.
I apparently flail around like a vertical trout.

Back