FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Perf. - Please State Your Name - Please State Your Name is not a game, it is not really an "experience" either, but rather a short film done in a Virtual Reality world, which puts you right in the middle of the story. This genre of VR is where AMD has been putting a lot of its resources. Can we expect the Radeon RX 480 to show us its VR prowess once again?

Holy sh*t! How do you drop 55% of of your frames and call it a Premium experience? If a football player dropped 55% of the passes thrown at them they would be fired after the first practice!

Luckily you can still play games on it with a monitor. ;) I wouldn't buy this with VR in mind. I thought the drivers would have gotten better by now for VR. This is unacceptable.

I'm really curious to see whats causing the bottleneck within the AMD cards. In 2D mode (regular games) the 480 and 1060 are comparable. But throw in split rendering and at the same output resolution, the 480 dies horribly. What's the thing stopping it? I run my monitor at 90hz and 1440p and have no problems with a single or dual 290x, but every benchmark shows that for VR I'd be throwing my money away even tough that's the same resolution and refresh. What's VR throwing in that clearly is impossible for GCN cards?

I'm really curious to see whats causing the bottleneck within the AMD cards. In 2D mode (regular games) the 480 and 1060 are comparable. But throw in split rendering and at the same output resolution, the 480 dies horribly. What's the thing stopping it? I run my monitor at 90hz and 1440p and have no problems with a single or dual 290x, but every benchmark shows that for VR I'd be throwing my money away even tough that's the same resolution and refresh. What's VR throwing in that clearly is impossible for GCN cards?
I honestly do not know. AMD will not give me access to any of its engineers any more. Oh well.

Unacceptable for AMD and they are not even addressing it. Is it because only [H] is reporting it? More noise needs made.

Wow! Is the environment supper complex? High IQ? I would think a movie like experience with a game engine would run rather well.

It is to AMD's peril not giving out answers and being open to the PC gaming community. Then putting out this premium VR experience BS discredits them even further which will hurt them. If they think they have premium VR experience (whatever that really means - AMD cryptic non-speak) then demonstrate that clearly with what is available on the market. Does AMD perform better with the Oculus Rift and that VR software platform?

Now for game engines, Unreal Engine seems to have a need to support AMD hardware better - What is AMD and Epic Games doing about it?

Loving these VR reviews and virtually only place on the net to get even a feel for how titles perform. Great that HardOCP leads the review charge on VR. THANKS for another great rundown.

I am sure the gaming genius will make a twitter post about it stating how it runs flawless on his card :p

Running my Vive at 2x Super-Sampling with Titan XP, and was acceptable for a solely viewing experience (dropped about ~5-10% at a guess).

My biggest gripe though was I found the film to be not particularly enjoyable. Dunno, maybe I just didn't get it I guess? Felt a tad pretentious to me tbh, hate to say it...

Unacceptable for AMD and they are not even addressing it. Is it because only [H] is reporting it? More noise needs made.
It's been months and the 480 is still broken in vr. Reminiscent of the Crossfire debacle which AMD denied for ages until multiple sites exposed the truth.

That is plainly stupid or cowardly. Obviously they have very little confidence in their hardware to withstand scrutiny. HardOCP over and over again praised AMD when it performance was good and promptly criticized or should I say reported clearly when not. So to me it is clear AMD does not believe their current line up is good enough for a real review or to even to answer questions.

AMD can come out and say the VR results are not right if they are not - of course HardOCP results are accurate, maybe too accurate for AMD's tastes and AMD have no leg to stand on but yet tell the public about their VR Premium products (to me that is misleading). How many will be turned off of VR by having this AMD premium experience that will have a higher chance of making them sick then a smoother experience with NVidia hardware? Really AMD is not doing the VR industry any good here is what I see.

The sad thing is AMD do seem to have something special in LiquidVR when Kyle tested on Serious Sam VR mgpu. AMD could have taken the high road and acknowledge the problem but stress they are working with developers to implement LiquidVR to their games so they can deliver premium VR experience.

In all honesty i can see where you guys make it a priority to give them favorable reviews at times

AMD gets positive reviews when they deliver. [H] doesn't try (i.e. give priority) to give them positive reviews. It has to be earned. Just as nVidia has to earn theirs. We're in a period of time where nVidia has been earning them and AMD has not. Just as a few years ago nVidia was in the doghouse and AMD reigned supreme in the reviews.

Honestly, you must have a very short memory.

AMD gets positive reviews when they deliver. [H] doesn't try (i.e. give priority) to give them positive reviews. It has to be earned. Just as nVidia has to earn theirs. We're in a period of time where nVidia has been earning them and AMD has not. Just as a few years ago nVidia was in the doghouse and AMD reigned supreme in the reviews.

Honestly, you must have a very short memory.
very possible for sure...but as a AMD fan it was my impression

very possible for sure...but as a AMD fan it was my impression

Well your impression is very wrong, just go back to the hd7xxx, or r290 reviews, they were good reviews,AMD just doesn't want to have people speak their mind about their products like how Kyle and [H] does all the time, AMD knows its got crap or less then stellar products comparatively, and they can't "afford" to be shown in the light because it will mean all the crap they have promised was just BS. There is no reason for blacklisting and enforcing censorship by doing so if products are good.

Its not short memory Algrim, his is in one of his "moods".

HardOCP tells it how they find it is all. Not fortune tellers or try to predict future trends, improvements etc. If one product performs better at the time - well it performs better. Add a little flare to it, some fun and some down talk = HardOCP. Just tell the truth. Now HardOCP can't try every hardware combination, software combination, DX combination or even VR setup's - no one can but what you read is pretty close to what was found or tested. So some reader understanding is in order that reviews 2 months ago may not be totally accurate for today but when written they are probably the best on the planet in conveying what was found. At least that is how I see it right or wrong.

Back