AMD Next Gen confirmed for Q4 2011: Dual architecture split like HD6K series

Awesome thanks for the info!!

I hope ATI gets the message. Most monitors are DVI/HDMI. Not to mention if you get into HDTV's which none have DP and projectors also, none have DP. If you look at the entire display market very few offer DP. Kudos to Sapphire.
There are many projectors that have DisplayPort connectivity. Of course, the projectors are not consumer level... (Not all of the results are projectors)

It's more than one node shrink... 40nm---->32nm---->28nm :eek:.

They are both half nodes though, so it's only really one full node shrink. e.g. the ratio between 40 nm and 28 nm is almost exact same as ratio between 45nm and 32nm. More importantly, 40 to 28 is almost same ratio as 55 to 40, which was the previous shrink we went through.

They are both half nodes though, so it's only really one full node shrink. e.g. the ratio between 40 nm and 28 nm is almost exact same as ratio between 45nm and 32nm. More importantly, 40 to 28 is almost same ratio as 55 to 40, which was the previous shrink we went through.

That is a valid point, It still marks a pretty major step in performance as 40 to 28 is a slightly greater ratio than 55 to 40

That is a valid point, It still marks a pretty major step in performance as 40 to 28 is a slightly greater ratio than 55 to 40

The ratio is about 2% different. The biggest difference is that this is seeming like a HPL process rather than the straight up HKMG process. That makes performance a huge unknown.

The ratio is about 2% different. The biggest difference is that this is seeming like a HPL process rather than the straight up HKMG process. That makes performance a huge unknown.

Yes, I have no idea what the results of this process will be on the new architecture. I read some rumours over at the Semiaccurate forum that the architecture might not be split VLIW4 and GCN but rather all GCN. Maybe they figured out how to make GCN play nice with VLIW4 for hybrid crossfire. I'm not all too sure. Interesting if true.

Darn it. I just bought CFX 6970's. Oh well, they still run well enough, and I was planning to upgrade to Ivy Bridge and 28nm in the same computer anyways.

If you look at a game's performance on a 4890 versus a 5870, HardOCP did a review on that back in Tuesday , September 22, 2009. Almost two years ago. Just to give you a few quick numbers in apples-to-apples comparisons(these using early early 5870 drivers):

Arma II: 33.7 fps versus 28.3 fps = +19% performance
Crysis Warhead: 25.9 fps versus 18.3 fps = +41.5% performance
Need for Speed Shift: 64.5 fps versus 38.4 fps = +67.9% performance
Ghostbusters: 45.3 fps versus 31.6 fps = +43.4% performance

Don't forget the 5800 series was 10% slower clock for clock compared to the 4800 series according to Ananadtech. Their guess was it had to due with the DX11 implementation to the 4800 series arch, or as noted by AMD the 5 way shaders were put to their maximum performance.

Good info on the DP, thanks guys. I still think the majority of the gaming market right now is HDMI/DVI.

Any idea when this next gen architecture and process will trickle down to mobile parts?
Can we also expect an 50%-100% increase over the current 6990m GPU?

Don't forget the 5800 series was 10% slower clock for clock compared to the 4800 series according to Ananadtech. Their guess was it had to due with the DX11 implementation to the 4800 series arch, or as noted by AMD the 5 way shaders were put to their maximum performance.

Also likely the different cache structure (private caches + big one [HD5000] instead of one massive one {HD4000]), for GPGPU purposes may have contributed a bit, if inter-SIMD communication had additional latency due to the extra cache layer to work through.

Interview by Peter Ross from AMD of Kyle Stallock, the Eidos Montreal Community manager at the San Diego Comic Con 2011. They talk about Deus Ex: Human revolution and how AMD has worked closely with the studio to implement PC exclusive features into the game. There is a very interesting exchange near the end of the interview. Peter Ross mentions that they'll have the game bundled with upcoming AMD hardware "coming very soon" (skip to 5:18), then the Eidos guy replies "So, does that mean I get a card too then?" hinting that it is a video card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teldcBqztOE

Last edited:
i want southern islands so bad. im without a gaming card until it comes out! arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Interview by Peter Ross from AMD of Kyle Stallock, the Eidos Montreal Community manager at the San Diego Comic Con 2011. They talk about Deus Ex: Human revolution and how AMD has worked closely with the studio to implement PC exclusive features into the game. There is a very interesting exchange near the end of the interview. Peter Ross mentions that they'll have the game bundled with upcoming AMD hardware "coming very soon" (skip to 5:18), then the Eidos guy replies "So, does that mean I get a card too then?" hinting that it is a video card.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teldcBqztOE"]Deus Ex: Human Revolution With AMD at SDCC 2011[/ame]

Good catch! Hmm, the game is releasing on 8/23.... Just maybe.... :)

Good catch! Hmm, the game is releasing on 8/23.... Just maybe.... :)

No, not a chance. Best to hope for would be a special overclocked Deus Ex edition card, much like the Dirt 3 card.
Way too soon to expect the HD7000 cards yet, doubt they are even in production at TSMC for another couple of moths or so.

No, not a chance. Best to hope for would be a special overclocked Deus Ex edition card, much like the Dirt 3 card.
Way too soon to expect the HD7000 cards yet, doubt they are even in production at TSMC for another couple of moths or so.

Wrong, by all accounts they are starting very soon and may have already. I think end of august is too early but sep is a possibility. I think oct is most likely.

Well... This is interesting. I guess the fact that I haven't upgraded makes these cards more desirable to me.

Bring on the 28mm goodness!!!

So in % how's the chance that at december the new "7970 - 7990" will be out?

hard to say, it depends on when the 7800 series comes out. if they come out in october then the odd's are good the 7970 will be out by december, if they come out mid late november then i doubt it. don't expect the 7990 until probably march or april. i don't think AMD is going to have a lot of 7970 GPU's in reserve to cherry pick high end gpu's for the 7990 right away.

either way i have a feeling we won't see the 7900 series until Q1 given that its a different architecture than the 6800 series and lower cards which still use the VLIW4 architecture.

TSMC Admits 28nm Ramp Up Is Taking Longer than Expected

In the company’s most recent conference call with industry analysts, TSMC has admitted that the ramp up to 28nm is taking longer than expected, which forced the foundry to lower its sales expectations for this new fabrication node.

“The ramp of 28-nanometer however is taking longer than expected due to the softening economy and the demand outlook of 2011,” said Dr. Morris Chang, chairman and chief executive officer of TSMC.

A little more than two weeks ago, the foundry stated their 28nm fabrication process is on track to enter mass production in the fourth quarter of 2011 and that it is expected to account for 2-3% of its total wafer sales in the last quarter of the year.

However, it now seems like this figure was exaggerated, and that chip sales based on this node will hardly go over 1%.

“The 28-nanometer revenue contribution by the end of fourth quarter this year will be roughly above 1% of our total wafer revenue,” said Lora Ho, senior vice president and chief financial officer at TSMC.

When asked by an analyst if TSMC is having any other troubles with their 28nm node other than demand, the same company representative responded: “the delay of 28-nanometer is not due to their quality issue, actually we have regular tape out and it is unplanned.”

TSMC hasn’t revealed any information regarding the customers that are expected to mass produce chips based on this advanced fabrication node in 2011, but both AMD and Nvidia rely on this process to build their next-generation graphics cards.

If in Nvidia’s case things are a bit more uncertain, AMD has recently reaffirmed its commitment to deliver its first graphics cards based on 28nm GPUs by the end of this year. (via Seeking Alpha)

http://uptonews.com/07/tsmc-admits-28nm-ramp-up-is-taking-longer-than-expected.html

I can't say I'm surprised. TSMC is largely the reason Bulldozer isn't with us yet, and that's 32nm!

I guess I better get another 460gtx to tie me over.

if AMD is aiming for Q4 this year then we may see the 7970 in september or november at the latest. They aren't going to launch a GPU in December.

the 7990 would come later (mid Q1 2012) if previous generations are any indication.

I can't say I'm surprised. TSMC is largely the reason Bulldozer isn't with us yet, and that's 32nm!

There is no AMD CPU ever produced on TSMC, including the future Bulldozer, which is fabbed at Global Foundries - AMD's old fabs that have been sold off.

The sole exception is the CPU portion of the Zacate APU. But that's not even K10.5, much less the newer bulldozer; in addition, the CPU on that is not seperate from the GPU, either :p

if AMD is aiming for Q4 this year then we may see the 7970 in september or november at the latest. They aren't going to launch a GPU in December.

the 7990 would come later (mid Q1 2012) if previous generations are any indication.

I don't think there is any chance we'll see a 7970 as early as September. The high-end parts won't likely hit until November at the earliest.

Last edited:

I blame TSMC for the record unemployment in California, global warming and for the death of Amy Winehouse.

Plus I'm pretty sure they are the ones who stole my blueberries!

No I didn't. I said ptoduction at tsmc started or is soon. Release in sept or oct of cards.

He said "no" to it coming out in august. he said it'd be months later instead. you replied to disagree. you said no to august. you said it'd be months later instead. great googly moogly

hmm well lets see here. a while ago both AMD and NVIDIA said new card would be out Q4. then AMD released new cards Q4, and NVIDIA delayed into the next year.

right now AMD is saying their new cards should be Q4. and TSMC is saying their 28nm demand for Q4 has been cut in half or worse. and there are rumors that NVIDIA (almost half of TSMC demand) is not going to make Q4.

yeah I'd say chances are pretty good AMD makes Q4. 7870 anybody?

7870 anybody?

I really hope that the 7870 is nothing more than a shrunk, full-fledged Cayman (1536 shaders and all), but I have this suspicion that the 7870 will be a 32nm version of Cayman in the 6950, leaving room for (maybe) a single-gpu 7890. I shudder to think of the possible performance of the 7990...

I really hope that the 7870 is nothing more than a shrunk, full-fledged Cayman (1536 shaders and all), but I have this suspicion that the 7870 will be a 32nm version of Cayman in the 6950, leaving room for (maybe) a single-gpu 7890. I shudder to think of the possible performance of the 7990...

I have been reading a bunch of the stuff posted over at Semiaccurate, and it seems like VLIW4 will only be the low end (way low end). They think that the 7800s will be GCN.

For clarification purposes, The reason the 6000 series was a split architecture is because of the cancelled 32nm process. It's speculated that AMD will be doing a full GCN lineup on the new process and that the VLIW4 instruction sets found in the drivers are for Trinity. This would indicate that they found some way to make the two architectures play nice with eachother for hybrid crossfire, because I would not expect AMD to abandon one of the main selling points of their APUs.

i r confuzed. so what is it, sep? oct? dec?

Some rumors indicate "as early as September" people being realists say October. A lot of people think it will be launched like the current gen with the midrange before the high end, which leads people to think december for the high end. Other speculation leads people to think the high end will be launched on the 28nm HP process which won't be ready till q1 so basically its a "We don't fucking have a clue when they will be launched, but we do know it will be this year."

They should start selling these 2 weeks before they release BF3 and they should make a buttload of money. But from the chatter I've seen of ppl playing the alpha a 560Ti or a 6950 or better will play the game fine.

I can't wait to upgrade my crossfire 6970's to crossfire 7970's or one 7990....

They should start selling these 2 weeks before they release BF3 and they should make a buttload of money. But from the chatter I've seen of ppl playing the alpha a 560Ti or a 6950 or better will play the game fine.

I can't wait to upgrade my crossfire 6970's to crossfire 7970's or one 7990....

Some people were saying that the Alpha might not have all the eye candy put in. It may just be a test for the core mechanics of the game rather than graphical issues.

That is correct, we know for certain that LOD wasn't working correctly and that DX11 ground tessellation wasn't enabled. On top of that we also know that about half the destruction mechanics were also disabled.

However, i wouldn't expect it to be too much more of a system hog. I think there is plenty of room to go up though.

Back