AMD Next Gen confirmed for Q4 2011: Dual architecture split like HD6K series

All I know that I am replacing my 6870 with a 7950 or 7970. I also hope that my phenom ii won't bottleneck it too much. meh, next year will be time for ivy or bd-e if that happens. Damnit AMD feed your CPU team what you do your GPU team.

14 pages and no concrete evidence that anything will reach a retail channel or store before January?

15 pages now. It's only been a month and 3 days since the initial reports posted. Still over 4 months to go, plenty of time for more info before that. Sheesh some of you are impatient.

15 pages now. It's only been a month and 3 days since the initial reports posted. Still over 4 months to go, plenty of time for more info before that. Sheesh some of you are impatient.

No bulldozer, no 7000 series info... this summer has sucked with regards to the desktop enthusiast market - specially if you want to hear good news™ from the AMD side of the fence.

Part of me is wondering if most shops aren't deliberately pushing back release dates in the vain hope they won't get hit by depressing sales figures, courtesy of the economy.

I want one too! It's a good thing I was planning on my new build in a few months. Sounds like a perfect time for some kickass graphics cards to come out, at the same time some killer pc games are.

This seems to point to a 2012 release for the 7000 series as I expected. The slide is specifically about the trinity APU coming out in 2012 which will feature amd 7000 series VLLIW4 Architecture.

Based only on this info one can assume 7000 series in 2012 but who knows I hope AMD will release the 7000 series in late Q4 2011 for the Desktop and notebook pc's before they add them to their APU lineup.

That's just talking about the Trinity APU, which is probably just gonna be a "7000 series" in name, VLIW4 part. I doubt it'll share any resemblance to desktop GCN 7000 series, and will probably be closer to a slimmed down cayman architecture. It's been scheduled for mid 2012 since forever, so no real surprise there.

Come on people, that slide ONLY refers to the AMD's new trinity chips launching next year.

The ONLY reason the slide is referred to is for the naming convention of the 7000 series graphics.

The waiting game continues. debating whether or not to pick up 2 or 3 cards when they are released :p

man JUST bought a 6950

Get another one and CFX and wait for the 8000's. That's what I did and (with my 5850's) has lasted since launch. No single chip card has compared them yet. I tend to wait until a single card is faster than my Dual to upgrade. You'll be good for a while, grats on that fantastic card! Jealous of you much better tesselation powers.....

The lack of 6970's at newegg right now feels like it's more than a supply chain/bitcoin demand issue. They have all of 3 different models in stock at the moment. So right now I'm just wondering if this means the first 7000 series card out of the gate is going to be a 6970 priced card, or a sub 200 dollar card that's as fast or faster than the 6970.

Lets be honest, guys: its september already, and we have no leaks nor info nor anything new related to these SI. Q4 2012? Almost impossible unless we are talking about a paper lunch: keep in mind that its stupid to put anything new into the market after Black Friday because by that time people have expended most of their saving for the christmas...and you don't want to piss off your distributors and resellers.

So, from a logic stand-point, I believe it almost impossible to see some SI landing this year: the schedule is just too tight to make it fight, because we aren't talking about a new re-spin, but a new architecture (part of it, at least).

Lets be honest, guys: its september already, and we have no leaks nor info nor anything new related to these SI. Q4 2012? Almost impossible unless we are talking about a paper lunch: keep in mind that its stupid to put anything new into the market after Black Friday because by that time people have expended most of their saving for the christmas...and you don't want to piss off your distributors and resellers.

So, from a logic stand-point, I believe it almost impossible to see some SI landing this year: the schedule is just too tight to make it fight, because we aren't talking about a new re-spin, but a new architecture (part of it, at least).

Yeah, definitely not looking good, which sucks. On the other hand, at this point, I'm just hoping that both AMD/Nvidia launch both their next generation cards within close proximity of each other - hopefully, both in the same month. Also, launching later allows me more time to build up my funds. :)

When the 5800 series was released, it was kept VERY secret about the new EYEFINITY Technology.

AMD/ATI can be very good at keep secrets thats for sure....

Even today people are still arguing in the AMD forums about how good/bad bulldozer will be.

Maybe good marketing, or maybe they both will suck ass.....

Either way it has us all waiting patienty lol

ATi has been very good at keeping secrets after being bought by amd not much info is not to surprising at this time

ok, this is chromes translation (Google)

AMD's next-generation graphics products have been named "Southern Islands", will use the 28nm process and VLIW4 architecture system. This generation of products, more, VLIW4 constant improvement of the operation with vector ...

From the above two maps, we can see that the South Island of specific products listed below
  AMD 28nm Radeon HD seven thousand Southern Islands
  New Zealand GCN HD 7990
  XT HD 7970 Tahiti GCN 256bit 1000MHz 32CUs 2048ALUs 128TMUs 64ROPs XDR2 8.0Gbps 256GB / S 190W HP 2GB
  HD 7950 Pro Tahiti GCN 256bit 900MHz 30CUs 1920ALUs 120TMUs 64ROPs XDR2 7.2Gbps 230GB / S 150W HP 2GB
  HD 7 870 Thames XT VLIW4 950MHz 24SIMDs 1536ALUs 96TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.8Gbps 186GB / S 2GB HPL 120W
  Pro VLIW4 Thames HD 7850 850MHz 22SIMDs 1408ALUs 88TMUs 32ROPs 256bit GDDR5 5.2Gbps 166GB / S 2GB HPL 90W
  HD 7670 XT VLIW4 Lombok 12SIMDs 768ALUs 48TMUs 16ROPs 900MHz 128bit GDDR5 5.0Gbps 80GB / S 1GB HPL 60W
  HD 7570 Pro Lombok VLIW4 750MHz 12SIMDs 768ALUs 48TMUs 16ROPs 128bit GDDR5 4.0Gbps 64GB / s 1GB 50W HPL switched from AMD's documentary record http://weibo.com/1767180595 the paste has been

Likely fake.
xdr2 is rambus memory but current ram should suffice for this and next generation.

[F2C]MaDMaXX;1037715638 said:
Wait, XDR2 memory? what's that?

A Rambus design. I don't see AMD using it for a GPU because it's more expensive than GDDR5, has a higher power consumption, runs hotter, and has a higher latency. GDDR5's speeds have scaled fairly well, and AMD can continue to make their memory controller more efficient to increase the use of available bandwidth to help keep up with Nvidia's actual throughput with wider memory buses.

If that's true then there's definitely a 7970 in my future.

It looks interesting, however I'll have to see what kepler has to offer. If it's compelling enough I may get those. I'm after the best next year. If AMD can repeat their value bang/buck again I'm all over the 7950 but I'm gonna wait and see if 3x Kepler is in my future.

Likely fake.
xdr2 is rambus memory but current ram should suffice for this and next generation.

Well you have to factor in the rumors that AMD will be supplying all next gen console graphics, and there is a good chance that 2 out of the 3 consoles could be using XDR2. With that in mind, they might be leveraging their buying power to get a lower or the same price as GDDR5 would be.

whoa, look at that power consumption. The bitcoiners are definitely going to buy them up if it's true.

not to thread crap but do ya really think there gonna get these new cards out on time we are still waiting for bulldozer

not to thread crap but do ya really think there gonna get these new cards out on time we are still waiting for bulldozer

I don't feel these can considered to be late as AMD has never stated a firm release date. The most we got was someone commenting that they're targeting a late 2011 release, and even then he didn't specify if that meant just one chip from this gen(and which one) or the whole line-up.*

As for it taking longer than the community would like, this is not something AMD has much control over. TSMC's having trouble ramping up 28nm production, and AMD can't release unless they have stock to fulfill demand. If they released now, they would have a very low inventory and everyone would be up in arms about AMD doing a paper launch. Also, the memory of the 5870/5850 launch is still fresh on their mind where they lost a lot of money by not having enough to go around.

* I will admit that this could just be arguing semantics on my part. I prefer precise language, while most people seem to talk in vague terms.

Last edited:
Read really disheartening news today. Say what you will about fudzilla but they were very accurate with the GTX 500 and Radeon 6800 and 6900 launches. It seems both TSMC and GLOFo are having tougher than usual times getting good results from their 28nm processes.

28 nm not in great shape
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/23909-28nm-not-in-great-shape

To make matters worse TSMC is not having a great quarter which could also impact things

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/23958-tsmc-warns-things-not-as-good-as-they-should-be

I have a pretty good intuition with these things, and I think the rumors of the mid range chips coming first are DEFINITELY false.

With mid range chips you need quantities. Much Much more than a high end chip. I would gamble that mid range chips outsell high end chips 100:1 if not more. Why on earth would any of these companies launch their mid range chips first when both companies that manufacture their chips can't seem to get satisfactory results from their production this late in the game.

It's time for many of us to set our dreams aside for a second (myself included) and think with a clear and rational mind. With both fabrication companies struggling the worse they have in years getting good results from a die process If any chip is set to launch it'll be high end where a shipment of 4000 for the whole world is considered a hard launch. In mid range or mainstream you need 10s of thousands to be considered sufficient supplies.

I believe we will have a paper launch in mid Q1 2012 or a hard launch in early Q2 2012. I really hope things change soon but from what I'm getting this is my best guess. We need to start planning that we may be playing battlefield 3, Rage, Skyrim and Dead Island with what we have now. :(

It's time for many of us to set our dreams aside for a second (myself included) and think with a clear and rational mind. With both fabrication companies struggling the worse they have in years getting good results from a die process If any chip is set to launch it'll be high end where a shipment of 4000 for the whole world is considered a hard launch. In mid range or mainstream you need 10s of thousands to be considered sufficient supplies.

I believe we will have a paper launch in mid Q1 2012 or a hard launch in early Q2 2012. I really hope things change soon but from what I'm getting this is my best guess. We need to start planning that we may be playing battlefield 3, Rage, Skyrim and Dead Island with what we have now. :(

Wow, sad news indeed if true. :( On the positive side, I don't foresee Rage, Skyrim, or Dead Island really stressing out high end setups. The only game that will stress the highest end systems out there will be Battlefield.

Back