AMD Mining Devices Making Millionaires Worldwide

Anyone ever use Alternatepool.com? Are they legit? Sounds like a neat concept.

edit: ugh, nm. looks like there's zero transparency between work level and money provided. they just set the work rate at a steady 500 and you wind up with a random number of BTC at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I'm mining feathercoin. It's exchanged on BTCe, coinmkt, and crypto-trade. And I think a few vendors accept FTC also. I've thought about mining other coins but I think FTC might be the safer bet

My 290 is arriving today, should I attempt to mine any LTC or jump straight to FTC?
LTC is still likely to be profitable for another month or so, I would switch once the difficulty ramps up higher than your electricity costs (or another coin is more profitable).

However I wouldn't buy any new cards today with the expectation that they will pay for themselves. I bought two 290Xs last week and they probably aren't going to pay for themselves, though I might get the price of one or so. Ah well, it's a fun experiment.

Is alt coin going to be like chasing the dragon? Jump from coin to coin? At some point all will remain is BTC, and the rest will be worthless.

Is alt coin going to be like chasing the dragon? Jump from coin to coin? At some point all will remain is BTC, and the rest will be worthless.

This is what i worry about, which I why I haven't switched from LTC yet. It seems to me that LTC has about the best shot at "legitimacy", or at least better than most of the other "popcorn currency" that seems to be everywhere now.

For those mining alt coins, how do you cash out? Unless I'm missing something, I'm looking at a 30% exchange fee to convert from alt coin to BTC on Cryptsy. Seems like that might more than negate any productivity gains I had mining the alts over the primary coins (BTC/LTC).

Is there another way to do this that doesn't result in crazy high losses?

Edit: duhhhh, bonehead mistake. I read 0.30% and thought 0.30 or 30%. Nevermind!

Is feathercoin worth mining? It seems like litecoins difficulty has gone up way too much since I first looked at it a week ago.

I would still mine litecoin. I honestly think the market will bare maybe 2-3 alt coins at most. Bitcoin and Litecoin are way ahead of the game and maybe a third or fourth one will gain enough legitimacy. This is like the era before the fed, lots of banks and lots of money to be made but also lots to be lost. When its all said and done only a few big ones will remain, and we know Bitcoin and Litecoin are big. I would probably stop mining litecoin if I got less than 5 a month, If you are planing on getting in now and trying to recoup costs early on dont count on it. At this point you have to go in for the long haul when prices rise above $200 then you can start selling.

I'm not really up on all this mining related craze except for the very very basics. Anyway, I have a 5870 I just recently replaced in my rig.

Would this card sell? Or are miners only interested in newer gpus?

I'm not really up on all this mining related craze except for the very very basics. Anyway, I have a 5870 I just recently replaced in my rig.

Would this card sell? Or are miners only interested in newer gpus?

You will be able to sell the 5870 pretty easy.

Is feathercoin worth mining? It seems like litecoins difficulty has gone up way too much since I first looked at it a week ago.

Better now then later. I bet the people who started out on ltc earlier this year are very happy.

Decided to get into some Litecoin mining with my dual 290's today. Knowing nothing about the process I followed geekdomo's setup guide on Youtube. I am able to get 830khash on GPU1 and 870khash on GPU2.

It would be cool if I can get my new cards to pay for themselves after a few months of casual mining! I really only plan on mining when I am at work or otherwise away from my computer room, because my PC sounds like a jet engine with the fans at 90 percent.

Only thing I worry about is overly stressing my GPU's. The mining seems like a nice bonus but I don't want to ruin my gaming PC...

Last edited:
I don't really plan to make fortune from mining. I'm mostly just mining the alternative coins that are at low difficulties and hanging on to them in case they ever go up. It's fun to play around with if nothing else.

Decided to get into some Litecoin mining with my dual 290's today. Knowing nothing about the process I followed geekdomo's setup guide on Youtube. I am able to get 830khash on GPU1 and 870khash on GPU2.

It would be cool if I can get my new cards to pay for themselves after a few months of casual mining! I really only plan on mining when I am at work or otherwise away from my computer room, because my PC sounds like a jet engine with the fans at 90 percent.

Only thing I worry about is overly stressing my GPU's. The mining seems like a nice bonus but I don't want to ruin my gaming PC...

I find that the 290s do better underclocked. I get around the 800 kh/s with 850/1350. Its also a ton cooler and quieter and I only have to set the fan at 65%.

Other than trying to mine to make money, what is the point of any non-BTC option? Like what does BTC not offer that litecoin or whatever does? As a currency.

LTC is much "faster" in terms of transaction speed and confirmation. Transfer something in BTC it can take hours.... LTC... faster in confirmations as well.

Ive bought a 290 to get back into pc gaming. Was looking into leaving this running during the day at work and overnight. well left most of the time mining and gaming for about 8 hours a week really. How many litecoins are you mining a day with one card?

I have a bloody 290, that I want to sell now, cause of this graze, screw the gaming market lol

I have a bloody 290, that I want to sell now, cause of this graze, screw the gaming market lol

This is a good time to jump over to the green team if you're not interested in mining. You can score a better nVidia card for the price you'll get from a used higher-end AMD card right now :D

This is a good time to jump over to the green team if you're not interested in mining. You can score a better nVidia card for the price you'll get from a used higher-end AMD card right now :D

Trying to get 50 posts so I can sell stuff, I have been over on OCN for over 9 years and still dont have enough rep to make a forsale thread even tho have like +7 trader rep...

As a total noob to mining I'm thinking about getting involved with it. Would you guys say at this point it's still worth learning about in order to bring in some extra cash?

As a total noob to mining I'm thinking about getting involved with it. Would you guys say at this point it's still worth learning about in order to bring in some extra cash?

If you already have the hardware you need, why not? If you have to buy hardware at inflated prices, no.

I went from a 5850 to a 680GTX and had to get a 7970 because, I don't know what it was, but I'm a huge multitasker and I couldn't have a couples games running, watch a video, and surf with the 680 without the whole computer running as it had the power of a pocket calculator which was never an issue with AMD cards.

I would gladly sell my 7970 and get a 780/780 Ti but I'm pretty sure I'll get frustrated with it, doesn't matter anyway, 7970 prices on ebay are dropping like a rock with all those used cards flooding the market.

I went from a 5850 to a 680GTX and had to get a 7970 because, I don't know what it was, but I'm a huge multitasker and I couldn't have a couples games running, watch a video, and surf with the 680 without the whole computer running as it had the power of a pocket calculator which was never an issue with AMD cards.

I would gladly sell my 7970 and get a 780/780 Ti but I'm pretty sure I'll get frustrated with it, doesn't matter anyway, 7970 prices on ebay are dropping like a rock with all those used cards flooding the market.

I wouldn't go that far. Still far too many priced above MSRP pre-LTC craze.

Pardon a newbie question: An earlier post compared mining to running a stress test 24x7. So, for a 4x 7970 rig, what is the expected lifespan before the cards burn out?

Ive bought a 290 to get back into pc gaming. Was looking into leaving this running during the day at work and overnight. well left most of the time mining and gaming for about 8 hours a week really. How many litecoins are you mining a day with one card?

There are a bunch of calculators out there such as this one. With the current difficulty continually going up, I'd guess about 0.3 to 0.4 a day right now if you went 24x7, but less and less every week going forward.

Pardon a newbie question: An earlier post compared mining to running a stress test 24x7. So, for a 4x 7970 rig, what is the expected lifespan before the cards burn out?

Too many variables here. What environment are the cards in--open air case, closed case, what fan speed, overclocking/underclocking, temps in generals, etc? I'd wager your fans would be the first to go vs the cards themselves.

Too many variables here. What environment are the cards in--open air case, closed case, what fan speed, overclocking/underclocking, temps in generals, etc? I'd wager your fans would be the first to go vs the cards themselves.
Assume an open aluminum frame, room 60F, no over/underclocking. I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea (months? years?).

If you're patient for a followup:

(1) Can you replace the fans on the Radeon cards??

(2) Are there long PCI extension cables, so you could lay the cards flat on an extended frame, with the card fans blowing up instead of sideways onto another card? (It would seem a logical idea, but from a quick Google search I haven't turned up long enough extensions.

Last edited:
Back