AMD Mining Devices Making Millionaires Worldwide

So, I setup a litecoin miner on my second box today running an XFX 7870 Ghost Edition. It's hitting 90C while cracking around 360KH/s. This seems really hot, especially since I have the fan profile locked @ 100%. Why is this card running so hot? Most other people seem to be at 75-80C with their 7870s. Is the Ghost Edition cooler just that crappy?

Last edited:
So, I setup a litecoin miner on my second box today running an XFX 7870 Ghost Edition. It's hitting 90C while cracking around 360KH/s. This seems really hot, especially since I have the fan profile locked @ 100%. Why is this card running so hot? Most other people seem to be at 75-80C with their 7870s. Is the Ghost Edition cooler just that crappy?

Yeah, the XFX coolers are pretty awful.

90C shouldn't cause any throttling - don't know if you are running overclocked or anything, but when the GPU hits a hardwired thermal limit it will automatically downclock to save itself.

(usually 98-100C)

How volatile are litecoin then? Is it worth getting involved at this point if you have to buy the hardware?

Although the value is fluctuating wildly, the actual amount has typically remained pretty consistent over the past 3 days. It has recently risen substantially though, no idea if that trend is to continue of course, that presumably is half the fun :p

Jesus, 280x's are out of stock everywhere. 290's are skyrocketing in price. I'd bet the 270x's will be next to go out of stock. Cheapest 7950 is $400 on amazon....

I've noticed the same thing.
I ended up going with a pair of 7870's just to test the waters. If I end up breaking even after a month and a half or so, then I'll build another box with 280x's.

This must be a US thing - I can see plenty of 280Xs over here in the UK, not to gloat or anything :D
Do people think this is due to the renewed mining craze, or is it just post-launch stock issues?

Damn you miners! I want a 2nd Gigabyte 7950 for Xfire, and I can't find one at a decent price! :)

I am starting today with my 7970. It's not going to cost me any thing but some extra electricity so I figure why the hell not.

man... all you newbies.... The difficulty increased 15% + last night.

:(

I was perfectly happy mining with my 18x 7950's & 7970.
My house is warm for the winter without burning money using the heat pump.

I've got 4 more 280x cards on the way. Go away rookies, I need the monies for myself!

no way, whats around it? how good of airflow? I had one of those, didn't run it very long but it was in the 450k range and stayin in the 75-80C range. This was open air with nothing right next to it with a fan blowing pretty good amounts of air over it.

My wife made me quit mining but things exploded so I got back into it :) I now am hashing far more than I was before i was forced to quit.

I have 3x 6950's running right now between 440 and 500 khash and the 7870's are supposed to be on that same level since XFX had sent me a 7870 to replace a dead 6950.

all you newbs stuck on LTC, you guys gotta get AHEAD of the curve... there's other coins worth looking into and stocking up on. BEFORE they pop! LTC is solid put it in the bank cash but if you want to really strike it big convert a nice chunk of LTC to a wide variety of altcoins

all you newbs stuck on LTC, you guys gotta get AHEAD of the curve... there's other coins worth looking into and stocking up on. BEFORE they pop! LTC is solid put it in the bank cash but if you want to really strike it big convert a nice chunk of LTC to a wide variety of altcoins

yeah right

what's the BBQcion to derpcoin ratio these days?

highlander2.jpg

Mark my words. There will be panic selling in crypto currencies, and crypto currencies don't have circuit breakers.

issue is they are not being used for any thing really and are being bought and sold as commodity
one word "Tulips"

no way, whats around it? how good of airflow? I had one of those, didn't run it very long but it was in the 450k range and stayin in the 75-80C range. This was open air with nothing right next to it with a fan blowing pretty good amounts of air over it.

My wife made me quit mining but things exploded so I got back into it :) I now am hashing far more than I was before i was forced to quit.

I have 3x 6950's running right now between 440 and 500 khash and the 7870's are supposed to be on that same level since XFX had sent me a 7870 to replace a dead 6950.
It's in an Antec P182B with a few intake fans. It's the only GPU in the case, it's not sandwiched between anything, and the case has decent (not great, but decent) airflow.

man... all you newbies.... The difficulty increased 15% + last night.

:(

I was perfectly happy mining with my 18x 7950's & 7970.
My house is warm for the winter without burning money using the heat pump.

I've got 4 more 280x cards on the way. Go away rookies, I need the monies for myself!

It has nothing to do with newbies or random start ups, when it goes up in chunks like this is usually when the bigger farmers build bigger farms.

Its the same way why BTC is terrible for mining now, its ruled by the big farmers, the difficulty didn't go up with newbies, I doubt BTC ever gets anymore newbies these days.

What about with those new 600GH/s ASICs that are coming out? If you bought one of those would it even be worthwhile for BTC mining?

What about with those new 600GH/s ASICs that are coming out? If you bought one of those would it even be worthwhile for BTC mining?

Worth it? no.

But it all depends on what you consider worth it at the same time. If you want to mine and don't care about the time it takes to get ONE, then do what you want with it. I wouldn't expect it to really product much of a profit though.

Remember when you are using these, they do get hot, the bigger ones do require a bit of juice and you are fighting against the few big gamers out there.

It has nothing to do with newbies or random start ups, when it goes up in chunks like this is usually when the bigger farmers build bigger farms.

Its the same way why BTC is terrible for mining now, its ruled by the big farmers, the difficulty didn't go up with newbies, I doubt BTC ever gets anymore newbies these days.

It might be small guys too. bitcoin crossed a thousand dollars per coin recently, that makes headlines and puts a massive spotlight onto ALL cryptocurrencies in a way that has yet to be seen. Litecoin is seen as the version the "small guys" can actually make a dent in, not bitcoin.

It stands to reason if enough people who were aware of bitcoin but never jumped on the bandwagon before saw the returns, they might want to jump in on litecoin now (i.e. what I intend to do now - johnnie come lately)

I only have my amd 6870, though that performs similarly to a titan since nvidia is so much crappier at this. Was waiting on an AMD r290 with better cooling to be available, but I may as well get my feet wet now.

EDIT:

look at the explosion in topics and interest about cryptocurrency mining, it's not just the ultra nerd early adopters now, it's in the mainstream media awareness. I hear john batchelor talk about it. That's pretty damn mainstream.

It might be small guys too. bitcoin crossed a thousand dollars per coin recently, that makes headlines and puts a massive spotlight onto ALL cryptocurrencies in a way that has yet to be seen. Litecoin is seen as the version the "small guys" can actually make a dent in, not bitcoin.

It stands to reason if enough people who were aware of bitcoin but never jumped on the bandwagon before saw the returns, they might want to jump in on litecoin now (i.e. what I intend to do now - johnnie come lately)

I only have my amd 6870, though that performs similarly to a titan since nvidia is so much crappier at this. Was waiting on an AMD r290 with better cooling to be available, but I may as well get my feet wet now.

EDIT:

look at the explosion in topics and interest about cryptocurrency mining, it's not just the ultra nerd early adopters now, it's in the mainstream media awareness. I hear john batchelor talk about it. That's pretty damn mainstream.

LTC is a different topic from BTC. BTC uses SHA256 which has a very healthy knowledge and integration of ASIC farms right now. Litecoin is taking off but there were only marginal jumps recently and the lack of ASIC farms has really helped prevent this from going out of hand like BTC.

GL competing in BTC without a massive ASIC farm.

I'm looking into building a 290 rig, but it would almost have to be WC'd, adding to the cost of the machine. One possible way to get a rig with all the 7950's being an endangered species right now is getting 7850s or 7870's and massively OC them.

I am looking to build a simple 3 7950 rig and house it at work under my desk as long as my boss is okay with it and I can see what the next 30 days look like with mining on a single 290 and 5830 or 7950 at home. I am not looking to invest heavy, but mine for as many coins as I can after paying off the hardware and stash away these coins. Maybe in 5-10 years they will be worth something. Maybe not. Who knows :)

They are only going to be profitable for 3-4 months and then with the difficulty increases it will cost more to run them than they produce.

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

Look at that when determining whether or not it is cost effective to mine. Only thing it doesn't take into account is rising/falling prices of BTC. With the Cointerra unit (March batch), it will only be profitable until June at which point you'll make $1000 total after paying for the machine/electricity. Starting in July, you'll lose money.

What pools are people using? Trying to get my feet wet at the moment in litecoin and having some problems finding pool. Been trying to join mine.lite-coin.com for 3 days now and their site is so slow or down completely, I'm really losing faith there...Registered with lite.coin-pool.com and I'm having problems getting CUDAminer running with their script.

I just switched all my miners over to ltcrabbit.

Just use guiminer-scrypt and then replace the cgminer folder with the files from 3.7.2.

The Us Govt working with other nations will crush this non fiat currency. That is what tyrants do. Just give it some time. Build your wealth the normal way and you wont lose everything as easy. Work hard and save up and buy gold and silver and other precious physical forms of true currency.

or mine and have fun doing it and maybe somehow turn bit/lite coin into gold and silver.

The Us Govt working with other nations will crush this non fiat currency. That is what tyrants do. Just give it some time. Build your wealth the normal way and you wont lose everything as easy. Work hard and save up and buy gold and silver and other precious physical forms of true currency.

or mine and have fun doing it and maybe somehow turn bit/lite coin into gold and silver.
Bitcoin is a fiat currency. :confused:

It is just as much a fiat currency as gold is.

Its fiat due to not being based on any physical resource but rather by an entity, usually a government but in this case a community. The dollar wasn't fiat when it was based on gold; each dollar contained x amount of gold or later each dollar was backed by a fixed amount of gold. Gold isn't a currency; its a commodity. That the value is variable doesn't make it fiat.

At the end of the day, the true test if a currency is fiat is if the sponsoring entity decides to no longer support it, can you still exchange it for something of value? In the case of dollars, euros, and bitcoins, the answer is "No".

I don't know the relevance to what kind of currency these cryptocurrencies behave like, but they seem different from dollars backed by a gold standard in that there seems to be a finite number of bitcoins/litecoins/etc.

Gold does not have a set upper limit. It's finite in an ultimate sense on the earth, but even then, you can rearrange matter to make more gold in theory, or go mine more from asteroids. By these crypto currencies have a HARD total limit.

How does that change their nature? I have no idea, just an observation.

These mostly attain value based on worth versus a Bitcoin. Worth doesn't seem to be attached to rarity, difficulty or any other value other than popularity. I'm not even sure what's driving their current value other then demand and what's creating that demand is even more of a mystery.

I think once the farms come out for scrypt it'll be game over for any profit.

I don't know the relevance to what kind of currency these cryptocurrencies behave like, but they seem different from dollars backed by a gold standard in that there seems to be a finite number of bitcoins/litecoins/etc.

Gold does not have a set upper limit. It's finite in an ultimate sense on the earth, but even then, you can rearrange matter to make more gold in theory, or go mine more from asteroids. By these crypto currencies have a HARD total limit.

How does that change their nature? I have no idea, just an observation.
It's going to cause systemic deflation.

The dollar has not been backed by gold since the '70's. BitCoin and LiteCoin are the future. :cool:

QHHnAW3Pp7dSvfh8OUZmMGryiAB62EFTazI-7x-sl_I=w272-h203-p-no

kjbX6VxzAVK69smwefnvk0h1z8FF_UNGFzumC_7mk7Y=w248-h185-p-no

Back