AMD Mining Devices Making Millionaires Worldwide

I'm trying just a novice setup mining digitalcoins with my 660 (reverted to stock clocks because it seemed to deter performance). Tried doing with my processor (which did 35 khash/s) but that gave it higher temps than Prime95 gave it (I really need to get a better cooler than this Intel thing), so I'm using GPU alone. I'm getting ~100 khash/s with CUDAminer, which seems pitiful. Neat experiment.
What do you guys think of going into one of the smaller scrypt currencies such as DGC?
Edit: I tried mining on my laptop's 630M and got another 20 khash. Heh.

Last edited:
Ya but probably the worst thing that can happen to Nvidia. When you buy that used Nvidia card it means Nvidia does not get any money (none of that money goes to their bottom line) and they effectively lost you as a customer since you won't be buying a new card directly from one of their AIB partners anymore.
Compare to what people are doing on the AMD side, they are buying *NEW* cards to the point of selling out so any new cards made available have a good chance of selling out.

It's kind of their own fault, I read somewhere that one of the operations with the nvidia cards takes 3 steps to amd cards 1 step. You would think they would release cards without that limitation. They should, though they may miss the boat soon if they start making more asics a year down the line for scrypt with more memory.

Do most use their main computers to mine or do they build a secondary system that they have run in a corner or something?

Do most use their main computers to mine or do they build a secondary system that they have run in a corner or something?

i would say "most" mine with their main computer but the most efficient way is to use a separate miner because you can use lower power cpu's and equipment. thats the best way to do things.

i would say "most" mine with their main computer but the most efficient way is to use a separate miner because you can use lower power cpu's and equipment. thats the best way to do things.

I would say that most of the hashing power comes from people who have a lot of dedicated rigs.

I would say that most of the hashing power comes from people who have a lot of dedicated rigs.

yeah i was going by people not hash power, because thats kinda what he was asking is what most people do.

I can't wait for the flood of AMD GPU's to hit the used market and drop prices once mining collapses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI0x0KYChq4
Lyrics:

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in our mine the whole day through
To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what we really like to do
It ain't no trick to get rich quick
If you dig dig dig with a shovel or a pick
In a mine! In a mine! In a mine! In a mine!
Where a million diamonds shine!

Heh.

I started mining LC after reading this thread. Maybe I'll make a few bucks and fund a new video card before it goes the way to BTC.

Macker, do you have a mini nuclear power plant in your back yard or something? :D

Good lord, what does that net you?

I calculated it at current rates yesterday.

equipment cost for 69 7950s, assuming 300 dollars a pop, is just under 21 thousand dollars, not including the cost of other satellite equipment to set them up.

monthly income assuming 700 kh rate? .35dollars per kw/h rates in california, the highest in the land...

even after power costs...

around 25k per month income stream, equipment would be paid for in a single month. Month 2 = insane income.

Of course, most people don't have that kind of capital to drop on that many cards up front, they have to start smaller.

if I was him, I'd sell about 1/4 of the litecoin for income, and stash the rest for future increases in price and value. I still think litecoin has the best chance to be the next bitcoin.

And he's been doing this for a while, when LTC difficulty was much lower. I bet all hardware costs have been covered for a while...

...around 25k per month income stream, equipment would be paid for in a single month. Month 2 = insane income.
Of course, most people don't have that kind of capital to drop on that many cards up front, they have to start smaller.

if I was him, I'd sell about 1/4 of the litecoin for income, and stash the rest for future increases in price and value. I still think litecoin has the best chance to be the next bitcoin.

The cards weren't all mine. My friend had more than half of that order and another friend has a few.
But, no we haven't sold any LTC yet, and we mined through the hotter than blazes summer. I don't even want to sell LTC @ $40. When it hits $100, I would consider selling some (less than 20%).

This is our 7th month mining LTC, but averaging it out gives MUCH more than 25k per month. More like 45k.

Yep, two open air cases based on the "Detritus Style". The second one is six inches longer, accommodating more GPUs with wider spacing and better cooling.

US went off the gold standard in 1933....but yea, the 70s is close enough.

"In 1971, President Richard Nixon unilaterally ordered the cancellation of the direct convertibility of the United States dollar to gold. This act was known as the Nixon Shock."

From the WIKI,

The cards weren't all mine. My friend had more than half of that order and another friend has a few.
But, no we haven't sold any LTC yet, and we mined through the hotter than blazes summer. I don't even want to sell LTC @ $40. When it hits $100, I would consider selling some (less than 20%).

This is our 7th month mining LTC, but averaging it out gives MUCH more than 25k per month. More like 45k.

Good God, that is impressive. Pics of said setup?

Anyone have the best guide on how to get started with this? Whether single or pooled? Thanks

The cards are split up between our different setups, so it's not nearly as impressive as you think.
The prettiest picture is my face standing next to all those gpus. That was a happy day.

Here's a pic of a partially done rack with some of the cards
http://i.imgur.com/WTmGkMx.jpg

Mine are spread around in baskets.
This is what I started with, but have added more gpus and another rig. I think I'm up to 23 cards.

Damn, how much power is that pulling per month? With my really rough estimates I'm using about 360 kWh per month with my 7950's. Power must be cheap :(

Damn, how much power is that pulling per month? With my really rough estimates I'm using about 360 kWh per month with my 7950's. Power must be cheap :(

I'm sure it's a metric buttload, but it shouldn't take much to get positive ROI though. My 7970 is about $14 a month to run 24/7 here in Illinois, but can mine about 0.25 LC/day (~$10/day) if run non-stop.

So are any of the other coins (FTC, NVC, PPC, TRC) worth trying to get into as well?

I'm thinking of making a small profit and then after that mine some random coins I think might be profitable sometime in the future. I'm thinking of doing a bit of Stablecoin. It's speculative though, might come out empty handed.

I'm sure it's a metric buttload, but it shouldn't take much to get positive ROI though. My 7970 is about $14 a month to run 24/7 here in Illinois, but can mine about 0.25 LC/day (~$10/day) if run non-stop.

Damn, I hate all you with low electricity costs :(. I am pretty sure, if I'm correct with my calculations, I have to pay $100 in electricity alone per month when I run 24/7, although it may be a bit less it's still complete horseshit.

But even with that stupid expense, I can still pull in $400-600 a month.

My electric bill has increased about $200 /month on average over the summer months & fall. But now that it's brutally cold outside, i think of it as free $300 electric heat.

My power is $0.083/kw-hr
Each 1000w rig with four 7950's uses about $50 per month; so about $12-$13 per gpu in electricity.

I really hate the fan bearings though; I've had 6 cards with dead fans total; my kH/sec is currently down 3 cards due to dead fans. I'm going to call MSI rma support and see if they will just ship me new fans and let me replace them myself.

Each RMA takes about 3 weeks including usps transit time when i ship the card to them. MSI turnaround is about 3-4 business days from when they receive it before they ship a replacement.

I really hate the fan bearings though; I've had 6 cards with dead fans total; my kH/sec is currently down 3 cards due to dead fans. I'm going to call MSI rma support and see if they will just ship me new fans and let me replace them myself.

Each RMA takes about 3 weeks including usps transit time when i ship the card to them. MSI turnaround is about 3-4 business days from when they receive it before they ship a replacement.

Dang. I just talked to MSI rma service and they said they don't stock the parts. They just send out a new card. So I can't get replacement fans from them.

He also said they wouldn't warranty it if the customer modifies it; but I know that's not true because I have removed the warranty stickers, replaced the paste & lapped the heatsinks. I've RMA'd cards where I did that and they didn't have any problem.

So just wondering, what kind of electricity rates would be considered "high" or "medium" or "low", with regards to mining?

So are any of the other coins (FTC, NVC, PPC, TRC) worth trying to get into as well?

I'm mining Megacoins. Its number 5 on coinmarketcap.com. I think its pretty cheap right now ocilating around 1.3-1.9, and its relatively easy to mine.

Should be around 5 dollars in 1-2 months.

Back