AMD CrossFireX Drivers - Opportunity Lost @ [H]

One thing I'm going to be tracking this year, that I wish I had tracked last year are SLI/CFX profile support dates in games.

For example, I'm going to start an Excel sheet. I'm going to put NV and AMD side-by-side, and list new game releases. Then I'm going to input the date that each game got SLI or CFX support. Then we look at the excel sheet later in the year and see how support compares between both. Wish I had done this in 2011, but 2012 I'm going to track this.

Just some info for you guys that I'll be working on through the year.

This is a great idea and will keep everyone accountable for proper support! Glad someone thought of it. I do think the article is confusing in that many people walk away believing crossfire doesn't work at all (and it does work), but hey -- point taken, this will only do good things for AMD users. Should hopefully light a fire under the software team at AMD.

This is a great idea and will keep everyone accountable for proper support! Glad someone thought of it. I do think the article is confusing in that many people walk away believing crossfire doesn't work at all (and it does work), but hey -- point taken, this will only do good things for AMD users. Should hopefully light a fire under the software team at AMD.

The problem is that the drivers on the CD are always older and by the looks of it AMD did have a better driver which your using but didn't make it official for the 7xxx.

Where exactly is this marketing storm you people keep saying AMD is throwing out there?

Because I never have seen this phenomenon people keep mentioning, hell they just fired most of their marketing team, IRC.

Just about every new tech has some games it doesn't play nice with at launch, it always happens. I don't get why AMD gets stomped on by a thread and article like this, when frankly, this is par for the course for just about every new video card release from either side.

I don't run 7xxx but I do run a hybrid crossfire rig, and I run a normal crossfire rig, I haven't had an issue with either one, and consistently the driver releases have improved my gaming experience.

Totally overblown.

Some people keep on dreaming that its going to be different this time, its going to be different, its going to be different this time and never learn, that does not mean that one day it shouldn't be.

The article and most people complaints is about CF and Eyefinity problems in general, it does not need the existence of the 7xxx cards or even nvidia for it to discussed.
But some how trying to make out that there is something magical about the 7xxx cards that would wipe all those issues away and not only that on day 1 and AMD have been letting people down because it didn't is what im having issues with.

One thing I'm going to be tracking this year, that I wish I had tracked last year are SLI/CFX profile support dates in games.

For example, I'm going to start an Excel sheet. I'm going to put NV and AMD side-by-side, and list new game releases. Then I'm going to input the date that each game got SLI or CFX support. Then we look at the excel sheet later in the year and see how support compares between both. Wish I had done this in 2011, but 2012 I'm going to track this.

Just some info for you guys that I'll be working on through the year.

Sounds good.

I hope that you will take into account that if its a TWIMTBP/Gaming Evolved title.

Last edited:
Where did i say that AMD did not cope with the same problem, you completely missed the point of my post of something working and the game coders braking it and nothing more.
Its was nothing to do with the typical arguments of you can fix what how fast as those arguments can be made anywhere at any time.

And seeing as Crysis2 TWIMTBP i would surprised if AMD sorted it before Nvidia.

And when was it that your talked to an official AMD representative with an issue and that representative said it does not exists.

I'm afraid you missed it. Both companies have to deal with things changing rapidly before release of major software titles. Somehow, Nvidia seems to always get the problems locked down quickly, while AMD is sitting there a month later still without it being fixed (or longer) - see the massive bug thread for AMD drivers in the video card forum, for instance.

I've never talked directly to an AMD representative - I just see the lack of problems being solved, given my experiences with the software through recent years, including the cards I have now (and note, right now I'm a 100% ATI home, unless you count the 9400M in my laptop).

Reading all of this makes me second guess my 2 7970s sitting in front of me :( I was actually looking forward to installing them sometime on the weekend.
Also is there any word of AMD releasing any new drivers soon?

Reading all of this makes me second guess my 2 7970s sitting in front of me :( I was actually looking forward to installing them sometime on the weekend.

read the article again.:D

Dude, you are fine, crossfire will work. Use the AMD 1/9 web driver for best results.

See, this is my beef with Brent's article. Many people skim over it and automatically think that crossfire doesn't work. Crossfire works fine. I've only found Batman: AC to not have a proper profile - thats not excusable, but its a far cry from crossfire not "working" in 50 other titles.

Dude, you are fine, crossfire will work. Use the AMD 1/9 web driver for best results.

See, this is my beef with Brent's article. Many people skim over it and automatically think that crossfire doesn't work. Crossfire works fine. I've only found Batman: AC to not have a proper profile - thats not excusable, but its a far cry from crossfire not "working" in 50 other titles.

Do you use EyeFinity?

1)I'm afraid you missed it. Both companies have to deal with things changing rapidly before release of major software titles. Somehow, Nvidia seems to always get the problems locked down quickly, while AMD is sitting there a month later still without it being fixed (or longer) - see the massive bug thread for AMD drivers in the video card forum, for instance.

2)I've never talked directly to an AMD representative - I just see the lack of problems being solved, given my experiences with the software through recent years, including the cards I have now (and note, right now I'm a 100% ATI home, unless you count the 9400M in my laptop).

1) Again that was not the point of my post because your argument about who gets things fixed quicker was not my point in the first place when the point is if the game coders did not brake it in the first place it would not need fixing.
Again my post was nothing to do with who gets things fixed first you brought all that in on your own, if i wanted to talk about who's quicker at fixing things i could of started that myself and a tired old done to death argument it is..

2) problems not being solved does not mean pretending as if they didn't exists because a problem was not solved, your just making assumptions and no more.
If i told you i was aware of the problem but im not going to fix it, that's still not pretending.
Me telling you that there is no problem is pretending.

Last edited:

So I'm new here, just to say hi. I am in the same boat. I purchased two Sapphire 7970's on launch day only to RMA them and have them replaced with two XFX core edition 7970's. I thought the first cards from Sapphire were DOA. I get them same results here. My system is a BRAND NEW x 79 build with a 3930k, 16 gb ram, on a px79 Asus board. I get a lock up on the Heaven bench when running Xfire but each card by themselves are fine. I dragged my stsyem to my local PC shop and they are stumped. Thought it was the power supply (I''m running a corsair 1050 so it isn't the PSU) so they added an additional PSU and still locks up. Has anyone gotten this type of response and overcame it yet? I've tried both the drivers from the CD and the 1/9 drivers.

I gave up and put two 580s in here at 3 gb a piece. My xfx 7970s are sitting right next to me about to be sold. I don't want to sell them but I cant accept this. Crap!:mad:

Just wanted to give a quick update. Dropped my second 7970 in and crysis 2 ran great and used the second card but only in 1920x1200 (scaled beautifully.) Once I kicked in eyefinity the second card quit working. So it sounds to me like this is likely an eyefinity + crossfire issue

Just wanted to give a quick update. Dropped my second 7970 in and crysis 2 ran great and used the second card but only in 1920x1200 (scaled beautifully.) Once I kicked in eyefinity the second card quit working. So it sounds to me like this is likely an eyefinity + crossfire issue

This has been a fairly common issue hasn't it. Eyefinity + Crossfire working?

We need to keep track of these issues when Kepler comes out as well and see if there's a big difference. Maybe we'll get to do that as early as next month.

So I'm new here, just to say hi. I am in the same boat. I purchased two Sapphire 7970's on launch day only to RMA them and have them replaced with two XFX core edition 7970's. I thought the first cards from Sapphire were DOA. I get them same results here. My system is a BRAND NEW x 79 build with a 3930k, 16 gb ram, on a px79 Asus board. I get a lock up on the Heaven bench when running Xfire but each card by themselves are fine. I dragged my stsyem to my local PC shop and they are stumped. Thought it was the power supply (I''m running a corsair 1050 so it isn't the PSU) so they added an additional PSU and still locks up. Has anyone gotten this type of response and overcame it yet? I've tried both the drivers from the CD and the 1/9 drivers.

I gave up and put two 580s in here at 3 gb a piece. My xfx 7970s are sitting right next to me about to be sold. I don't want to sell them but I cant accept this. Crap!:mad:

Are you overclocking or using any type of unofficial overclocking mode in MSI afterburner? Doing that will cause you to BSOD during ULPS. Also, do you have any legacy drivers from previous AMD cards?

We need to keep track of these issues when Kepler comes out as well and see if there's a big difference. Maybe we'll get to do that as early as next month.

It took a little while for it to work on my 5970, but that was a known issue out of the gate. I haven't really had many problems since then using them both.

Pretty much, single monitor crossfire has worked pretty well for me for the most part over the years, but eyefinity/crossfire is just a busted pile of shit.

This is an issue with 7970 only. Cayman Crossfire+Eyefinity was a beautiful thing, except for the power usage and heat dumped into my case, which is why I'm upgrading to a single 7970. 58xx had its issues too, but I think 1GB of vram was never/hardly ever enough.

This is an issue with 7970 only. Cayman Crossfire+Eyefinity was a beautiful thing, except for the power usage and heat dumped into my case, which is why I'm upgrading to a single 7970. 58xx had its issues too, but I think 1GB of vram was never/hardly ever enough.

This guy would disagree

http://widescreengamingforum.com/fo...cussions/18203/eyefinity-crossfire-stuttering

And I can tell you my buddy's 3-way Crossfire 6970 rig was just as horrible in Eyefinity (so bad that he went back to a single screen).

My 5870 crossfire/eyefinity has also been nothing but stuttery shite the whole time I've had it, and enough that I normally only play in single screen as well (the problem only goes away if you can render out to 120fps).

In the mean time if I hook up my SLI/Surround it seems just fine in this regard.

OK found a problem, witcher 2 will constantly crash with CFX enabled, disabled it and ran for an hour without a problem :S

OK found a problem, witcher 2 will constantly crash with CFX enabled, disabled it and ran for an hour without a problem :S

If that is a known issue, that's pretty bad. That's extremely easy to get and easy to test for and if that was something that was missed by their QA, then that right there is all you need to know. Maybe there are other factors at play here, if we were to give AMD the benefit of the doubt here.

If that is a known issue, that's pretty bad. That's extremely easy to get and easy to test for and if that was something that was missed by their QA, then that right there is all you need to know. Maybe there are other factors at play here, if we were to give AMD the benefit of the doubt here.

well I have no issue with BF3 in crossfire + eyefinitt, I can't get Witcher 2 to run in single screen or eyefinity with crossfire enabled, it will do both with a single card though. The video card driver crashes, and almost never recovers.

well I have no issue with BF3 in crossfire + eyefinitt, I can't get Witcher 2 to run in single screen or eyefinity with crossfire enabled, it will do both with a single card though. The video card driver crashes, and almost never recovers.

You have lockon Icons when using missles with eyefinity/crossfire/trifire?

Article gave me the impression that 7970 xfire was completely broken. I only own a single 7970 and a U3011 and plan on getting a second. After reading I was extremely concerned as I take a lot of what the [H] says to heart.

Is Crossfire only broken for people with more than one monitor, dismissing Batman and Skyrim obviously.

Might be an issue somewhere else. Witcher 2 ran fine for me with Crossfire, both GPU's at 100% usage and scaling properly.

Article gave me the impression that 7970 xfire was completely broken. I only own a single 7970 and a U3011 and plan on getting a second. After reading I was extremely concerned as I take a lot of what the [H] says to heart.

Is Crossfire only broken for people with more than one monitor, dismissing Batman and Skyrim obviously.

It works for single monitor, no idea about eyefinity.

Thats why this article is confusing to be honest, Kyle says : " crossfire doesn't work at all" (specify please)

Crossfire does work --using the 1/9 AMD driver. I installed as a single card and added the 2nd card later, not sure if that makes a difference. You have to disable all voltage modification 3rd party software, the software is young and crossfire doesn't like unofficial oc mode. That said I get 1125/1575 easily on both gpu's. Dig a few pages earlier, i've tested it and the only game with weird scaling was Batman: AC.

Last edited:
You have lockon Icons when using missles with eyefinity/crossfire/trifire?

No, that's still a problem for all multi-monitor setups I believe.

Might be an issue somewhere else. Witcher 2 ran fine for me with Crossfire, both GPU's at 100% usage and scaling properly.

I can see it scaling, it's def smoother, but it will lock up eventually, even with the cards and cpu @ stock speed.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-Application-Profile---11.12-CAP3-download-2782.html

Cap 3

Star Wars: The old republic : Improves CrossFire performance
Need for Speed: The Run – fixes flashing in terrain, shadows and bushes
Prototype 2: Improves single GPU and CrossFire performance
Insane 2: Improves CrossFire performance
Syndicate - Improves CrossFire performance
Costume Quest – Resolves image quality issues
DOTA 2 – Enables CrossFire support for this title
Project C.A.R.S.(DX9 version) : Improves CrossFire performance
Counter Strike: Global Offensive: Improves CrossFire performance
Modified Battlefield3 Profile
Modified Saints Row 3
ProfileAdded Prototype 2 Profile
Added Project C.A.R.S Profile
Added Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Profile
Added Might and Magic Heroes VI Profile
Anno 2070: Improves CrossFire scaling and fixes image quality issues seen in water, shadows, etc.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Improves CrossFire performance
Saints Row 3 (DirectX 9 version): Improves CrossFire performance
Serious Sam 3: Improves CrossFire performance
Java Control Panel: Fixes black screen corruption seen on single and multi GPU configurations when Anti-Aliasing is forced on through the Catalyst Control Center

Saints Row 3: Resolves stuttering seen when playing in CrossFireX mode.
Also provides Single GPU and CrossFireX performance improvements when running in lower resolution configurations
Gothic 4 Arcania: Fall of Setarrif: Improves CrossFire performance
Battlefield 3: Tweaks to the CrossFire profile
Battlefield 3 – Provides great CrossFire scaling and resolves stuttering issues when running in CrossFire mode.
Deus Ex Missing Link: Improves CrossFire performance
F1 2011: Improves CrossFire performance
Dead Island: Improves CrossFire performance
Batman Arkham City (DX9 version): Improves CrossFire performance
NBA 2012: Disables CrossFire
Battlefield 3: Provides great CrossFire scaling and reduces flickering / corruption issues when running in CrossFire mode
Red Orchestra 2 – Improves CrossFire Performance.
Serious Sam 3 – Improves CrossFire performance
Saints Row: The Third – Improves CrossFire performance
Battlefield 3
Red Orchestra 2 – Improves CrossFire Performance
TrackMania propfile added
Hard Reset – Improves CrossFire performance
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – Improves performance on Single GPU configurations
War Inc Battle Zone: Resolves image corruption seen when enabling Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center
Call of Juarez The Cartel - Improves CrossFire performance
Rome Total War: Disables CrossFire support
F1 2011:
- Improves performance on Single GPU configurations
- Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 - Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center now works
LA Noire - Improves CrossFire performance
Need for Speed World – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD : The First Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD Demo: The First Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD : The Second Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Deus Ex3: Human Revolution(DX9) - Improves CrossFire performance
Shaun White Skateboarding - Improves CrossFire performance
MaxPayne3 - Improves CrossFire performance
Global Ops – Commando Libya: Improves CrossFire performance
Driver San Francisco: Disables CrossFire

to call the driver team lazy is just plain bad imho. Are there areas they can improve? sure, but to call them lazy without any direct first hand knowledge of what they do on a day to day basis.......

I hate the fact that CAPs are separate downloads, honestly i'd rather they be merged like NV does.

I still don't know if these CAPs work on 6xxx and prior cards ONLY , or if this CAP release works on the 7970. And of course the website doesn't say. Jesus christ.

At least they're updating the xfire support, which is good. Their website still sucks and the community forums @ amd need a complete overhaul. They should really look at the NV community website to see how it should be done.

Minor rant.

My response wasn't intended to purely argue semantics, someone made a reference to how NVIDIA absorbed 3dfx, which is true, but the technology that NVIDIA uses is different so it's not an inherent advantage. I would actually argue that CrossfireX is a better hardware implementation as it supports load balancing between different GPUs (e.g. you can mate together 6950s/6970s, etc) and generally has been scaling better than SLI on the last generation. The problem is the software support is not as robust as with SLI currently.

You are an idiot if you think 3DFX getting absorbed into Nvidia didnt spur modern SLI designs. Yes they use different METHODS, but the end result is the same. Its not as different as you would like it to be.

Are you overclocking or using any type of unofficial overclocking mode in MSI afterburner? Doing that will cause you to BSOD during ULPS. Also, do you have any legacy drivers from previous AMD cards?

No, no OCing at all on either my CPU or my radeon's. EVERYTHING is stock. I even went home last night after work (and sledding) and tried A-gain. Used drive sweeper in safe boot, cleaned everything, re-installed the downloaded 1/9 drivers, nothing. Locks up on everything. BF3 wont even let me get to a damn splash screen before it locks up...im still in the browser. How fun...:confused:

Need confirmation or denial that these CAPs will or will not work on 7970s. Who is the guinea pig?

No, no OCing at all on either my CPU or my radeon's. EVERYTHING is stock. I even went home last night after work (and sledding) and tried A-gain. Used drive sweeper in safe boot, cleaned everything, re-installed the downloaded 1/9 drivers, nothing. Locks up on everything. BF3 wont even let me get to a damn splash screen before it locks up...im still in the browser. How fun...:confused:

Do you have afterburner installed? If you enable "sync similar graphics cards" that can cause problems with dual gpu's.

Hmm....hope you get this worked out :(

Back