AMD CrossFireX Drivers - Opportunity Lost @ [H]

Any one got The Darkness 2 game and playing it on crossfire? I am getting some stutter during the game play on my 7970 crossfire setup. Disabled crossfire and using only single card, games plays with out stuttering. Now I have to play the waiting game for AMD to release a cap profile! I'm going to see if forcing it to play 60fps with Fps limiter fix the issue.

Just tried it with Msi Fps limiter and no go still stutters using crossfire setup. :(

Does anyone know whether windowed mode with X-fire is in the works? I may switch to team green if there's nothing on the horizon.

Does anyone know whether windowed mode with X-fire is in the works? I may switch to team green if there's nothing on the horizon.

I would not hold your breath for that, but im going to put that forward to one of the beta testers, Its clearly a power saving measure but we have should option to choose ourself just like they finally implemented the custom auto per game Application Profiles.

I would not hold your breath for that, but im going to put that forward to one of the beta testers, Its clearly a power saving measure but we have should option to choose ourself just like they finally implemented the custom auto per game Application Profiles.

Why do you think it is a power saving measure? I think its a simple "It would be way too hard to implement so we don't do it" type of thing.

Also AMD needs to seriously setup something that automatically checks for newer CAP files and downloads them. If they are going to be relying on a system of getting new CAP files a few times a month, they shouldn't put it on the user's head to constantly have to check for them.

Why do you think it is a power saving measure? I think its a simple "It would be way too hard to implement so we don't do it" type of thing.

Also AMD needs to seriously setup something that automatically checks for newer CAP files and downloads them. If they are going to be relying on a system of getting new CAP files a few times a month, they shouldn't put it on the user's head to constantly have to check for them.

It is possible because the only difference between windowed and full screen is your not sharing the screen with other things and a focusing of resources, there is nothing technically special or hardware limited about it.

There was no 3D clocks in windowed mode before the driver enabled it.

And they only recently had the Custom profiles something the NV had for years and SLI in windowed mode i hear.

Yes many are saying the same with the CAP.

Quick CFX question:

Is it normal that the power control setting for the second card resets to 0%(the first card stays at +20%) after clicking apply in Overdrive? I've been trying to get the second card to match the OC of the first card but no luck max'ing it out in CCC. I'm using 12.2 Precertified drivers atm.

Quick CFX question:

Is it normal that the power control setting for the second card resets to 0%(the first card stays at +20%) after clicking apply in Overdrive? I've been trying to get the second card to match the OC of the first card but no luck max'ing it out in CCC. I'm using 12.2 Precertified drivers atm.

I don't know for certain, but it wasn't unusual for the second card to be at 0% if nothing was going on. If you're testing under load and it still says 0%, I think that's faulty though. The second card's activity will show.

Sometimes it takes a restart to make power control stick at 20% and MSI Afterburner's OSD but if I open CCC after a benchmark it'll just go back to 0% and keep resetting if I go to +20%. The behavior is sporadic in both RC11 and 12.2 with the 2nd card so I'll probably exchange it.

Did you get the newest afterburner (2.2 Beta 14)? Its supposed to fix that issue Nicterys

I actually sent it in to RMA this morning but I'll download the latest version once Newegg sends me the replacement so I don't run into that issue again(and hope for a card that's better than 61% ASIC).

This is likely going to be a bad question, but I'm quite possibly going to be going CFx on the 7970 this weekend and I wanted to know, do I only need to connect 1 bridge when using two cards, or is it 2 bridges? Thanks!

This is likely going to be a bad question, but I'm quite possibly going to be going CFx on the 7970 this weekend and I wanted to know, do I only need to connect 1 bridge when using two cards, or is it 2 bridges? Thanks!

1 bridge, the other is for a 3rd card / 4th card. :p

That's what I figured, haven't crossfired since I had dual 4850's and I think I did both bridges back then, lol.
Does it matter which bridge connector I link?

*rant* Seriously AMD, wtf? It's now March, and you still don't have drivers available? The RC candidate drivers are awful. And to add salt to the wound, Windows 8 doesn't support 7970? Hire more friggin' people if you need to, but this is unacceptable.

*rant* Seriously AMD, wtf? It's now March, and you still don't have drivers available? The RC candidate drivers are awful. And to add salt to the wound, Windows 8 doesn't support 7970? Hire more friggin' people if you need to, but this is unacceptable.

This. Having only recently joined the ranks of CFX users, I'm now seeing what all the complaints were about. Unacceptable that they give the shaft to their "best customers"

Every night, I say a small prayer in hopes that Nvidia will get single-GPU 3-screen surround with Kepler based hardware :D

This. Having only recently joined the ranks of CFX users, I'm now seeing what all the complaints were about. Unacceptable that they give the shaft to their "best customers"

Yeah best comstomers but were in the minority as most wont be buying there top of the line cards.. they make more off the mid range cards.

Yeah best comstomers but were in the minority as most wont be buying there top of the line cards.. they make more off the mid range cards.

Fair enough, but most marketing types that know the first thing about business development will tell you that you take care of your "high rollers" first and foremost. In an industry where the average person tends to buy a $100-200 card once every 2-3 years, you alienate the crowd that dumps $1200-2500 every 6-12 months at your peril.

Dont make sense eh.. but your seeing it now in action as the 7970 still dont have offical drivers but they keep coming out with drivers that say "Not for 70xx cards".

Dont make sense eh.. but your seeing it now in action as the 7970 still dont have offical drivers but they keep coming out with drivers that say "Not for 70xx cards".

No, you're absolutely right, I'm just saying what they're doing is completely stupid from a business perspective. There's more to it than just the money to be made off the sale of 7970s too. After all, there's a reason that Honda built the NSX for so many years...it's a flagship product. Something that all the mid-level card owners can point to and say, "see? my team's got the best card". Not saying I feel that way, but it's a very real motivator in an industry that's essentially "red vs. green".

You could not of joined at a worse time, its always better to join on mature hardware on mature drivers, then you would have allot less hassle.

3xxx 4xxx 5xxx <-very close 6xxx were just revisions of the same. The 7xxx is completely new and the drivers have been redone from scratch and they also used that opportunity to have CCC forced AA in DX10/DX11 as the old drivers on older gen would have to be totally re written to add DX10/DX11 forced AA, they have allot of learning to do.

And as for windows 8, it took NV 6 months to get decent Vista drivers out after vista's release.

Last edited:
I do not remember that being the case and I've used nVidia since the 7800 GTX.
It definitely was the case. They didn't have good drivers. Google it.

NVIDIA had significant problems when it came time to transition its shiny, new G80 architecture from Windows XP to Windows Vista. The company's first G80-compatible Vista driver ended up being delayed from December to the end of January, and even then was available only as a beta download. In this case, full compatibility and stability did not come quickly, and the Internet is scattered with reports detailing graphics driver issues when using G80 processors for the entirely of 2007. There was always a question, however, of whether or not the problems were really that bad, or if reporting bias was painting a more negative picture of the current situation than what was actually occurring.

Microsoft's data strongly indicates that the problems were real. Damon Poeter at CRN dug through the documentation to find that on page 47 of the PDF, NVIDIA drivers were identified as the cause of over 479,000 crashes, or just under 29 percent of all the crashes Microsoft logged. Microsoft's own drivers follow, at 17.9 percent, and the "Unknown" category takes third place at 17 percent. ATI is in fourth place (9.3 percent) and Intel in fifth place (8.83 percent).

LOL

I've already shut them down, they won't be back to respond.

The thing that gets me is the constant denial of the existence of issues from some NV users.
I can understand not having issues personally but that's not what they are saying.

I've already shut them down, they won't be back to respond.

Guess I and everyone I knew on nVidia during Vista were just lucky, then. I had zero issues.

No one is saying nVidia has never had problems, but you AMD fanboys will take any chance to try to pull out some ancient shit and badmouth nVidia. It's really pretty pathetic.

Guess I and everyone I knew on nVidia during Vista were just lucky, then. I had zero issues.

No one is saying nVidia has never had problems, .

That is exactly what is being said and at best implied by you and your ilk. I linked you to a goddamn CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. What else do you want?

No, you're absolutely right, I'm just saying what they're doing is completely stupid from a business perspective. There's more to it than just the money to be made off the sale of 7970s too. After all, there's a reason that Honda built the NSX for so many years...it's a flagship product. Something that all the mid-level card owners can point to and say, "see? my team's got the best card". Not saying I feel that way, but it's a very real motivator in an industry that's essentially "red vs. green".

I did that exact thing back in the day when I had my 8800gt :cool:

Back