AMD CrossFireX Drivers - Opportunity Lost @ [H]

Kyle, did you ever get the drivers from AMD to use on your eyefinity + crossfire system or was it the drivers found on AMD site that was released on 1-20-12?

Kyle, did you ever get the drivers from AMD to use on your eyefinity + crossfire system or was it the drivers found on AMD site that was released on 1-20-12?

Also curious, i'm using single screen xfire so i'm not sure about eyefinity

What I find most interesting about all of this, is if you disagree with Kyle or any of the H mods, you get banned. Even if you have 6+ years on the H, helping others, contributing to the community, you were a paid member, you've been selling equipment, etc. Instant ban that has a lifted status of "never". This place was a big part of my life but I made the mistake of expressing my opinion which Kyle didn't like.

Really guys? So you can have your own opinion and force it upon others, but we can't express ours? Real mature.

So it's January 24th and still no drivers and i bet new drivers will be 12.1 preview based which are pretty old at this point.

I'm using single monitor crossfire fine, thanks for stopping by the AMD forum though karma :)

edit: this is my semi sarcastic way of saying the issue is really only a few CAPs for triple monitor crossfire, from what I gather

I have HD6970 Crossfire and i find 12.1 Preview to be best so far for this setup. HD7970 is a new arhitecture and i almost think AMD should split drivers.

I get crashes while playing Dirt 3 using eyefinity+crossfire in Directx 11, it will play fine than after a while it locks up and exits to the desktop. I have to play it in Directx 9 for it to work in eyefinity+crossfire. Dirt 3 plays fine in Directx 11 if I use single monitor mode. Another important fix I think AMD needs to do is fix the screen tearing in eyefinity setup, even if you use vsync you still get screen tearing on the 3 displays.

Realize its not AMD fault for a game not working, have to understand how games work and video cards and drivers and also DX9/10/11.

Everyone here is blaming AMD for fault, which is not true. As the fault lies with the game developer primarily, not AMD for it.

AMD makes drivers and such for games yes, but the game developer is 100% at fault for releaseing the game prior to AMD qualifying the driver to work for that particular game.

Unless every game developer is a complete moron, they send out a new game full well knowing eyefinity or other video issues are at hand well prior to it hitting public, yet every day they send that crap to the market because they want your 50-60 bucks, and dont care if the video doesn't work for your brand of card. Game makers know eyefinity is not rocket science any more, How many cant hook up 3 monitors to see if it works prior to game release ?? Seriously blaming AMD for a game developer being greedy grabing early bucks off suckers. Then blaming AMD for not having a driver ready on thier particular schedule is simply ludicrus. AMD cant make drivers for every single new software in development on those companies schedules on demand, its physically impossible. Game devs' know this yet send out the crap anyways for your sucker dollars.

Realize its not AMD fault for a game not working, have to understand how games work and video cards and drivers and also DX9/10/11.

Everyone here is blaming AMD for fault, which is not true. As the fault lies with the game developer primarily, not AMD for it.

AMD makes drivers and such for games yes, but the game developer is 100% at fault for releaseing the game prior to AMD qualifying the driver to work for that particular game.

Unless every game developer is a complete moron, they send out a new game full well knowing eyefinity or other video issues are at hand well prior to it hitting public, yet every day they send that crap to the market because they want your 50-60 bucks, and dont care if the video doesn't work for your brand of card. Game makers know eyefinity is not rocket science any more, How many cant hook up 3 monitors to see if it works prior to game release ?? Seriously blaming AMD for a game developer being greedy grabing early bucks off suckers. Then blaming AMD for not having a driver ready on thier particular schedule is simply ludicrus. AMD cant make drivers for every single new software in development on those companies schedules on demand, its physically impossible. Game devs' know this yet send out the crap anyways for your sucker dollars.

Developers are partly to blame.
They are either using one of the brands or both to develop the game, what drivers were they using, that the game ran flawlessly on, the fact is it didn't they sent out a game that no driver in existence could run without issues and just hoped that a driver may fix it.

The only excuse they are doing things in the game that has not been done before that the drivers don't have functionality for what they want to do.

It would be like basically very developer asking Microsoft to upgrade the OS every time a program was made for windows because developers were constantly doing things that conflict with windows when they are meant to be making programs windows compatible and not the other way around.

How is it the developer's fault when AMD doesn't release a Crossfire profile for a new game until a month later, or a broken one?

How is it the developer's fault when AMD doesn't release a Crossfire profile for a new game until a month later, or a broken one?

He said nothing of crossfire, so no he was not blaming them for that even though they sometimes can be when it was working and then the developers broke it.

Last edited:
He said nothing of crossfire, so no he was not blaming them for that even though they sometimes can be when it was working and then the developers broke it.

But that's what this thread/article is about...

:confused:

But that's what this thread/article is about...

:confused:

There have been many posts that are not specific to the article and about AMD in general, it was clear that he was not referring to CF or the 7970 specifically like many other post in this thread, he was talking about drivers in general and Eyefinity.

And the fact is it takes 2 to tango and he was simply saying its not all AMDs fault, if AMD made the games and the drivers then it would be all their fault.

Last edited:
There have been many posts that are not specific to the article and about AMD in general, it was clear that he was not referring to CF or the 7970 specifically like many other post in this thread, he was talking about drivers in general and Eyefinity.

And the fact is it takes 2 to tango and he was simply saying its not all AMDs fault, if AMD made the games and the drivers then it would be all their fault.

Actually what he said was it was "100%" the developers fault and not AMD's fault at all. I'd say that's more than an exaggeration.

Actually what he said was it was "100%" the developers fault and not AMD's fault at all. I'd say that's more than an exaggeration.

In regards to Eyefinity support and is no different than some games today still don't support even 2560x1600 native without going into the inf.

The developers just have to make sure that their games support higher resolutions.
Microsoft even changed the recommendation that games and applications should not have hard coded resolutions selections.

I hope you don't suggest that the FOV limitation in games are down to AMD as well.

Last edited:
Have some patience people, DICE/AMD are going to have these bitches running top notch very soon, the 7970 is a very nice piece of hardware. I personally NEVER buy a GPU right when it's launched, I always wait till all the non-reference cards are released so I get the best pick AND matured drivers.

P.S.
I wonder if AMD will give me a free 7970 CFX if i get their logo tattooed on my ass. just sayin'

Have some patience people, DICE/AMD are going to have these bitches running top notch very soon
Judging by the reviews, isn't Battlefield 3 one of the games where AMD has excelled with the 7970? On almost every review there's excellent CFX scaling and single card FPS improvement over the GTX 580.

In regards to Eyefinity support and is no different than some games today still don't support even 2560x1600 native without going into the inf.

The developers just have to make sure that their games support higher resolutions.
Microsoft even changed the recommendation that games and applications should not have hard coded resolutions selections.

I hope you don't suggest that the FOV limitation in games are down to AMD as well.

He never said anything about Eyefinity or FOV, nor is this article about that. But whatever, believe what you want...can't argue with a wall.

He never said anything about Eyefinity or FOV, nor is this article about that. But whatever, believe what you want...can't argue with a wall.

But you didn't quote him fully and you decided to take him out of the context he was making,
So yeah you believe what you want to read and not what was actually said, you keep on being pedantic to the thread title as it suites your argument.
He didn't mention anything about Crossfire or Profiles, he was not making any claims regarding CF, you did. My FOV comment was directly at you because of that.
I said that he was making a statement about drivers in general and Eyefinity.

And that comment can go for NV as well as they face the same issues.

Last edited:
such a worthless thread.

AMD is a texas company, [H] is a texas company. It's too bad this site isn't more appreciative of the relationships available to it.

I literally am blown away that Kyle pulled this shit when AMD worked with him to make the Hardocp gaming experience such an awesome event.

Don't ban me or warn me, I have been here for a decade, I am an adult, this shit feels wrong to me, and I voiced that.

such a worthless thread.

AMD is a texas company, [H] is a texas company. It's too bad this site isn't more appreciative of the relationships available to it.

I literally am blown away that Kyle pulled this shit when AMD worked with him to make the Hardocp gaming experience such an awesome event.

Don't ban me or warn me, I have been here for a decade, I am an adult, this shit feels wrong to me, and I voiced that.

I own 7970s and I feel like, after thinking it over, it was a good thing to bring up. Fact of the matter is AMD is slower to release multi GPU profiles than NV has been. Period. This needs to be fixed. I am still waiting on a Batman: AC cap for DX11.

I still own my 580 SLI's and the best thing about them is the value added stuff. QUICK SLI profiles. Phsyx. Etc. Now performance wise, the 7970s stomp them when overclocked, but I can appreciate that NV actively seeks out game devs, while AMD typically makes the hardware and waits for software devs to come to THEM (worse approach, IMO!)

I own 7970s and I feel like, after thinking it over, it was a good thing to bring up. Fact of the matter is AMD is slower to release multi GPU profiles than NV has been. Period. This needs to be fixed. I am still waiting on a Batman: AC cap for DX11.

I still own my 580 SLI's and the best thing about them is the value added stuff. QUICK SLI profiles. Phsyx. Etc. Now performance wise, the 7970s stomp them when overclocked, but I can appreciate that NV actively seeks out game devs, while AMD typically makes the hardware and waits for software devs to come to THEM (worse approach, IMO!)

how many people do you honestly think buy 2 550 dollar cards?

do the cards work flawlessly in a single card config? seems like it.

I disagree with you, a niche market does not dictate the hate this thread put forth.

Brand new card, and it has issues in dual card configurations, hmm, where have I heard that before... Oh I know, every time a brand new card comes out.

Thread is irresponsible emotionally driven nonsense. Sorry, it's how I see it.

I started reading this place int he 90s, and continued on till today, place used to be about getting the most out of your hardware, and focused on value, not extreme performance. In the old days you bought a celeron and overclocked it all to hell, or you unlocked an ati 9500 with the l shaped memory to a 9800. It was about value. Not buying the most expensive card you can and then bitching about it's relative value, or even coming close to complaining about sli(would be 3dfx then) performing perfectly.

Look, your computer isn't a freaking washing machine, It's not an appliance that should work with no questions asked, and if it doesn't you bitch up a storm.

Being a computer enthusiast has never been easy, and this entitled notion that anything less than perfect is unacceptable rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
As .NET Developer, picking .NET platform to write CCC could not be worse move. I would not suggest .NET to anyone as far as desktop application development goes.

As .NET Developer, picking .NET platform to write CCC could not be worse move. I would not suggest .NET to anyone as far as desktop application development goes.

I'm a .NET developer as well and there are TONS of quality programs developed with .NET. One can write bad programs in any language and platform.

But you didn't quote him fully and you decided to take him out of the context he was making,
So yeah you believe what you want to read and not what was actually said, you keep on being pedantic to the thread title as it suites your argument.
He didn't mention anything about Crossfire or Profiles, he was not making any claims regarding CF, you did. My FOV comment was directly at you because of that.
I said that he was making a statement about drivers in general and Eyefinity.

And that comment can go for NV as well as they face the same issues.

You're right regarding Eyefinity, I missed that part of his post. However, in his post he explicitly says that it's the developers fault (100% even) when they release a game without the drivers being ready for it...What? So now game developers need to wait on drivers for game launches? It's the other way around. The point of this article is that while nVidia generally has SLI profiles and game support BEFORE game launch, AMD has been lacking in that department for several months now, even through the launch of a new product. I don't see how that is in any way the game developers' fault.

Of course both sides have issues with drivers occasionally, it's just that AMD has been dropping the ball lately on it; hence why there is an article in the first place.

You say he's not referring to the article or CrossfireX...why post in this thread, then? The majority of comments have been concerning CFX, and his post comes immediately after at least three other posts talking about CFX. I'm not sure what "context" there is to refer to other than that.

You're right regarding Eyefinity, I missed that part of his post. However, in his post he explicitly says that it's the developers fault (100% even) when they release a game without the drivers being ready for it...What? So now game developers need to wait on drivers for game launches? It's the other way around. The point of this article is that while nVidia generally has SLI profiles and game support BEFORE game launch, AMD has been lacking in that department for several months now, even through the launch of a new product. I don't see how that is in any way the game developers' fault.

Of course both sides have issues with drivers occasionally, it's just that AMD has been dropping the ball lately on it; hence why there is an article in the first place.

You say he's not referring to the article or CrossfireX...why post in this thread, then? The majority of comments have been concerning CFX, and his post comes immediately after at least three other posts talking about CFX. I'm not sure what "context" there is to refer to other than that.

He is not referring to CF because he has already said what he is referring too, he specifically says what he's talking about, i cant help that you missed it.
If he was referring to CrossfireX he would of typed it instead of Eyefinity.

And this was my reply to him and it was also nothing about CF or SLI, its was about issues in the games in general.

Developers are partly to blame.
They are either using one of the brands or both to develop the game, what drivers were they using, that the game ran flawlessly on, the fact is it didn't they sent out a game that no driver in existence could run without issues and just hoped that a driver may fix it.

The only excuse they are doing things in the game that has not been done before that the drivers don't have functionality for what they want to do.

It would be like basically very developer asking Microsoft to upgrade the OS every time a program was made for windows because developers were constantly doing things that conflict with windows when they are meant to be making programs windows compatible and not the other way around.

To add im not surprised as game have issues all of there own with patch after patch so they hardly going to care if what they did was fully current driver compatible, the Consoles don't need constant driver updates because they have no choice than to make sure they code for what the consoles have and cant expect driver updates, but you see the same patch issues coming out on Consoles now.

In regards to SLI and CF i have said my part already in this thread, no one is saying that AMD don't need to pick up their CF support.
The fact is some engines are not multi GPU friendlily and a game may be inherently more friendly to one side or the other or neither, NV and AMD are not using the same Architecture with just different branding and driver teams because then everyone would be using the same yard stick and it would be yeah your driver team sucks and not that maybe that hardware is harder to code, Example: Skyrim on the PS3.

Are We Too Forgiving of Video Game Developers?
We've gotten used to giving game developers a certain amount of leeway when it comes to glitches and bugs. In today's Speak Up on Kotaku commenter Eatplaysleepmore wonders if we've taken this forgiveness too far.

I think we have been really apologetic (Editor: He means forgiving) to the video game industry. We let them get away with so much.

I am looking at the PlayStation 3 version of Skyrim for one and how many stood up for Skyrim winning Game of the Year because it worked fine in the 360 and PC, I am sure those of you who got it in those platforms enjoyed it thoroughly but is it really acceptable to forgive them just for that? I mean come on, we can't let them get away with this crap.

You might go "Hey I wasn't affected so this doesn't concern me" and it should because somewhere down the line it might be you who that happens and when you start telling people to take notice they will give you the reply you did to them.

And for the love of God, do not go "Hey you should have bought it for the superior console", I want to slap anyone in the face who says that. Developers making games for more than one console should damn well make each console version playable. Don't give me some bullshit that "It plays well enough" no I do not want well enough I want great, I am paying you $60 for it. Also If you are making a game for the PC, making an user interface that works well with a mouse and keyboard. Now I know some of you may go "Hey well there's mods for that", thing is that is US DOING THEIR WORK FOR THEM. We shouldn't have to do this, it should be already in the damn game.

Same goes for games that released with a buggy mess (looking at Dead Island) and yet they are forgiven because we are going to get a patch later. The amount of games that get away with that is unbelievable, and those of us in certain regions where we can't get a good connection are shit out of luck.

Why do we look the other way?

We consumers deserve better than this =/

About Speak Up on Kotaku: Our readers have a lot to say, and sometimes what they have to say has nothing to do with the stories we run. That's why we have a forum on Kotaku called Speak Up. That's the place to post anecdotes, photos, game tips and hints, and anything you want to share with Kotaku at large. Every weekday we'll pull one of the best Speak Up posts we can find and highlight it here.
http://kotaku.com/speakup/forum?comment=46255000

Last edited:
I've had problems with both AMD and Nvidia drivers. Never had problems with the hardware itself. I prefer the red team these days because of lower power consumption, noise and prices that are competitive.

Drivers do need to get a serious look by AMD on how they can improve their process to make things better, faster and more reliably.

I would be interested to see the AMD driver team start a dialogue with the community.

I find AMD's website layout a bit confusing and their forums need to be more prominent. guru3d and hardocp and rage3d have more active and better forums than AMD. It's tough to have a dialogue if you do not have a presence in all these forums.

ps, Please keep it constructive and top with the fanboism. We are all gamer and stand to benefit from better, more competitive drivers from both AMD and Nvidia.

My experience going from SLI 570s to CF 7970s

I upgraded from SLI 570s to CF 7970s because I wanted smoother performance in BF3. I only game at 1080p, but this game does indeed need multiple GPUs to sustain 60+fps with everything maxed. To keep things short, my $700 570s could not keep up with the 4xMSAA in BF3 due to the low 1.28GB of VRAM it has so I went with a single 3GB 7970 instead. It was pure amazement at how powerful this single card is. I was able to set 4xMSAA and it offered better performance at that setting than two 570s due to the extra 3GB VRAM despite having less GPU power than the two 570s. Though the single 7970 was plenty powerful at BF3, it did go into the 40s at times so I decided to get another 7970 to CF.

Nvidia Experience:
I started out with 1 GTX 570 already installed with drivers and everything. Bought another GTX 570 and all I did was stick the card into my motherboard, turn on computer, Nvidia control panel asked if I wanted to enable SLI, I clicked yes and it was pure smoothness. No issues what so ever. It took less than 1 minute to enable and run it, with no driver change.

AMD Experience:
Already had single card in there with drivers and everything. Put in second card, nothing happened. Uninstalled drivers, and then reinstalled drivers, drivers said finished installing, but nothing was installed.
Fresh install of Windows 7 with fresh driver installed. Alright, works! Run 3dmark11 and Heaven bench to check it out, all checks out fine. Boot up BF3. PROBLEM!
My two GPUs fluctuate between 70-99% very, very frequently. At 99% GPU usage, it's fine. When it drops to 70%, I get frames down to 50-60fps and puts all the load onto the CPU until it goes back up to 99%.
Before you flame me in I don't know what I'm doing, the OCN 7970 forum has been very helpful in trying to help me. The ones that DID get their 7970 CF to work somehow in BF3. I tried: Different drivers, installed fresh Windows 7 about 5 times, installed windows updates, switched card slots, disaple ULPS, all to now avail. I did some other things I can't remember since I've been trying to get it to work for the past 2 days. I get BSODs, and when I disable CF, computer locks up, black screen and the AMD drivers actually uninstalled themselves (lol). Total time spent with AMD drivers to fix BF3? 48+ hours, didn't get it to work yet.

Okay, you say they are only BETA drivers so don't work well with BF3 yet, but other people has it working fine. I don't consider myself an idiot, because prior to going CF, I thought other people were idiots for not getting their drivers to work. I was wrong. Trying to get AMD drivers to work is like fucking rocket science. I had to go through every variable and diagnose every part to see what's wrong with BF3.

I may be an idiot at trying to get these drivers to work for BF3, while others had no problem, but the nvidia drivers COULD NOT AT ALL go any smoother. Can't be said the same for AMD...

I upgraded from SLI 570s to CF 7970s because I wanted smoother performance in BF3. I only game at 1080p, but this game does indeed need multiple GPUs to sustain 60+fps with everything maxed. To keep things short, my $700 570s could not keep up with the 4xMSAA in BF3 due to the low 1.28GB of VRAM it has so I went with a single 3GB 7970 instead. It was pure amazement at how powerful this single card is. I was able to set 4xMSAA and it offered better performance at that setting than two 570s due to the extra 3GB VRAM despite having less GPU power than the two 570s. Though the single 7970 was plenty powerful at BF3, it did go into the 40s at times so I decided to get another 7970 to CF.

Nvidia Experience:
I started out with 1 GTX 570 already installed with drivers and everything. Bought another GTX 570 and all I did was stick the card into my motherboard, turn on computer, Nvidia control panel asked if I wanted to enable SLI, I clicked yes and it was pure smoothness. No issues what so ever. It took less than 1 minute to enable and run it, with no driver change.

AMD Experience:
Already had single card in there with drivers and everything. Put in second card, nothing happened. Uninstalled drivers, and then reinstalled drivers, drivers said finished installing, but nothing was installed.
Fresh install of Windows 7 with fresh driver installed. Alright, works! Run 3dmark11 and Heaven bench to check it out, all checks out fine. Boot up BF3. PROBLEM!
My two GPUs fluctuate between 70-99% very, very frequently. At 99% GPU usage, it's fine. When it drops to 70%, I get frames down to 50-60fps and puts all the load onto the CPU until it goes back up to 99%.
Before you flame me in I don't know what I'm doing, the OCN 7970 forum has been very helpful in trying to help me. The ones that DID get their 7970 CF to work somehow in BF3. I tried: Different drivers, installed fresh Windows 7 about 5 times, installed windows updates, switched card slots, disaple ULPS, all to now avail. I get BSODs, and when I disable CF, computer locks up, black screen and the AMD drivers actually uninstalled themselves (lol). Total time spent with AMD drivers to fix BF3? 48+ hours, didn't get it to work yet.

Okay, you say they are only BETA drivers so don't work well with BF3 yet, but other people has it working fine. I don't consider myself an idiot, because prior to going CF, I thought other people were idiots for not getting their drivers to work. I was wrong. Trying to get AMD drivers to work is like fucking rocket science. I had to go through every variable and diagnose every part to see what's wrong with BF3.

I may be an idiot at trying to get these drivers to work for BF3, while others had no problem, but the nvidia drivers COULD NOT AT ALL go any smoother. Can't be said the same for AMD...

Odd, all I did was remove my 6970's put in 7970's, uninstall old drivers, install new ones, and that was it. Haven't had one single issue yet. Including BF3.

Nvidia Experience:

AMD Experience:
Before you flame me in I don't know what I'm doing, the OCN 7970 forum has been very helpful in trying to help me. The ones that DID get their 7970 CF to work somehow in BF3. I tried: Different drivers, installed fresh Windows 7 about 5 times, installed windows updates, switched card slots, disaple ULPS, all to now avail. I did some other things I can't remember since I've been trying to get it to work for the past 2 days. I get BSODs, and when I disable CF, computer locks up, black screen and the AMD drivers actually uninstalled themselves (lol). Total time spent with AMD drivers to fix BF3? 48+ hours, didn't get it to work yet.

Odd, which drivers were you using? My experience was just adding a 2nd card (already had installed a single 7970 prior ) and it worked.

Have you tried installing the 7970 as a single card first?

Nvidia Experience:

AMD Experience:

This does not bode well for me......

Nvidia Experience:

AMD Experience:

I feel like a broken record, but... Did you do a driver sweep? A fresh install of windows is incredibly unnecessary just to install a new card. I've used driver sweeper as my ritual for years now, and yes, that includes when I owned a (single) GTX280. Every single time I have ever been lazy and tried to get away with installing old drivers over the new, I get burned. Every single time.

Nvidia Experience:

AMD Experience:

hmm I tried it @ 1080p with everything cranked + 4xmsaa on a 120hz monitor, was butterysmooth no problems. Sorry you had so many issues.

Lol, thanks for the help guys. I finally got it to work and I had no idea why it didn't work before. The only thing I did different was I downloaded the amd driver auto detect. Those drivers work flawlessly, even though they are the exact ones from the disc or downloaded one. So I have no idea why those worked instead. I formatted like 5 times going through those drivers but none worked except for that auto detect one.

Lol, thanks for the help guys. I finally got it to work and I had no idea why it didn't work before. The only thing I did different was I downloaded the amd driver auto detect. Those drivers work flawlessly, even though they are the exact ones from the disc or downloaded one. So I have no idea why those worked instead. I formatted like 5 times going through those drivers but none worked except for that auto detect one.

LOL, almost the same thing happened when I first have GTX 480 and 4890...

Back