AMD Announces the Official Ryzen Launch Date

I want this to succeed (like pretty much everyone else here) because at a minimum it'll force down prices or increase improvements by a stagnant Chipzilla.

My 2600k is 5 years old, but still works. I'll be waiting to see what happens with independent Ryzen benchmarks and Intel pricing responses before deciding what to replace it with.

I'm happy AMD can compete again, although at this point only in things that benefit from 16 threads as far as we can see

hoping you can push those frequency higher

having 8 cores with 8 threads would be quite enough for me
rather pushing the frequency (thinking here HT can be detrimental to clocks on the i7, so maybe that goes for Ryzen as well)

ahh well
at least AMD usually uses soldering instead of crappy TIM

mmm
at those price points I might be tempted to buy one for fun
at least I could keep the board for a few years instead of having to switch it annually per Intel tradition

also Yay on RGB Wraith cooler :rolleyes:

The irony? A Ryzen "X" build reaches its full gaming framerate potential with an Nvidia GPU. And that won't change for most of this year, at least.

Pre-order Ryzen? ROFL yeah right. Gen 1 product on Gen 1 motherboards at full MSRP price. Not gonna happen.

AMD is not known for getting it right the first time out the door. See Phenom TLB bug, Phenom 2, everything that rhymes with "dozer" etc etc

But I'm interested to see how it does. Just not buying at launch.
What you think Intel is not guilty of this? You know how many strategy Intel had? How about the physical failure rates of C2000 processor? That's what microcode updates are for to bypass the errata. It's been a standard since the pentium floating point bug

an Asshole Making bad Decisions, nah just kidding. I am considering the AMD platform for a new rig, my current system was built in 2012.

I sold my i7 build for... Well, for no good reason. The itch is there and the "new" factor has arrived, there's no keeping this in check. If it's a turd I'll just shuffle it down to my wife or something...

I'm excited about AMD having a competitive CPU, but given the weird issues I've had with my RX 480 I don't think I'll be going with another AMD video card. I'll have to hop back over to Team Green again.

seems like a perfect chip to base my next lab upgrade- cheap, tons of cores and low power consumption!

I want this to succeed (like pretty much everyone else here) because at a minimum it'll force down prices or increase improvements by a stagnant Chipzilla.

My 2600k is 5 years old, but still works. I'll be waiting to see what happens with independent Ryzen benchmarks and Intel pricing responses before deciding what to replace it with.

Yep. I'd like to finally replace my circa 2012 3570k - even though it runs everything great including a 1070 and the latest games. But if AMD can't beat Intel on price then they better blow them away in performance, not just be a little bit better, because the CPU's and chipset are gen1 unknowns and unproven.

Damn Lisa,

Public oration skills are much improved. Very impressed.

This is a very good presentation, and very promising information. For once I am starting to feel positive about zen. I've been cautiously optimistic for some time, but now I can say I am positively optimistic.

I'm still not pre-ordering shit. I'll order an 1800x after I see Kyle's review, and only after I see Kyle's review.

My prediction is this. Great overall cpu with terrible non existent overclocking. I still think im jumping ship back to AMD. I miss having an AMD cpu...damn i loved my Phenom II until that devil 2500k came out.

My prediction is this. Great overall cpu with terrible non existent overclocking. I still think im jumping ship back to AMD. I miss having an AMD cpu...damn i loved my Phenom II until that devil 2500k came out.

My prediction is it literally bursts into flames while tweaking the voltage and we get a sweet video of Kyle running around on fire.

If that's the case, Kyle considers you to be a 'pussy'! :p

Believe it or not, while I like the guy, I don't live or die by Kyle's assessments of my purchasing decisions :p

Look, as I mentioned above, I've gone from a cautiously optimistic skeptic, to full on optimistic. It seems pretty clear to me now that Ryzen will be a great CPU, and a HUGE improvement over AMD's last decade.

That being said, how well it overclocks is still going to be the deciding factor for me.

As awesome as everything I am seeing today is, it still needs to beat my Sandy-E [email protected] in single threaded CineBench (or equivalent benchmark) at max overclock on water, or I just can't justify it.

I'm pretty sure after Kyle's review, I'll have a good idea of whether or not it is worth it to me.

Last edited:
$10 Kyle just raised AMD's stock again with that headline.
Give it an hour or so. It's up 0.16 at 14.16 as of 11:25, with a high of 14.50.
:cool:

upload_2017-2-22_12-31-42.png

My prediction is it literally bursts into flames while tweaking the voltage and we get a sweet video of Kyle running around on fire.

Likely caused by a rigged Ryzen CPU planted by AMD as retribution for Kyle's scathing editorial piece.

Right now I'm running at 4790K with a 1080 so I'm not feeling the upgrade itch BUT if AMD has a winner that's a good thing for all of us. Intel has been at the top of the mountain a little too long with no real pressure to speak of.

Damn Lisa,

Public oration skills are much improved. Very impressed.

This is a very good presentation, and very promising information. For once I am starting to feel positive about zen. I've been cautiously optimistic for some time, but now I can say I am positively optimistic.

I'm still not pre-ordering shit. I'll order an 1800x after I see Kyle's review, and only after I see Kyle's review.

To be honest the 1800x might not be the best decision.

When talking about Intel cpu's you buy the most expensive because it has more "stuff" most of the time and not simply more frequency. You go from a 7600K to a 7700K because you get HT.

My point being... maybe the 1700x overclocks as good as the 1800x, in which case it will make more sense to get the cheaper version. Just like when you had the C2D E6600 there were close to no reasons to get the E6700 because once overclocked the difference was pretty much none at all.

When talking about Intel cpu's you buy the most expensive because it has more "stuff" most of the time and not simply more frequency. You go from a 7600K to a 7700K because you get HT.

My point being... maybe the 1700x overclocks as good as the 1800x, in which case it will make more sense to get the cheaper version. Just like when you had the C2D E6600 there were close to no reasons to get the E6700 because once overclocked the difference was pretty much none at all.

You could be right. It's very difficult to know this up front.

I hear ya. If a 1700x and an 1800x hit the same max clocks on water, why get an 1800x?

Traditional wisdom, though, is that the priocess will have poor yields at first, so binning will be very important to get the top end sku's, and the way binning works is that the top performance bracket gets the best quality CPU's more likely to hit higher clocks. Time will tell.

There's another reason to not run out and pre-order.

Side note.

I just noticed that for the last several years, my brain has been auto-correcting your username to "parva" (from Latin) and that's not your username at all :p

Microcenter has preorders up

same for Newegg

I think i'll be waiting to see how game performance reviews go before I lay down my hard earned cash (is anyone still using cash these days?)

so....have CPU launches had pre-orders before? Seems strange to me. But then again, AMD been repeating they want gamers to be interested, and they love pre-ordering games....

Can't wait to see street price! This is the same week as my birfday! Coincidence? I don't think so.
I'll order an 1800x after I see Kyle's review, and only after I see Kyle's review.
What color tie did he pick out for you today?

Ugh. I just sold a 4790K build with a 970 and 16GB for a laptop (razer blade 1060). I figured the laptop would offer performance around my desktop (which it does) and would be portable (which it is) which would be super cool (I think I succeeded). But I just want to build a desktop again. Its like going to an amusement park. Damn you AMD.

Back