AMD Announces the Official Ryzen Launch Date

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Feb 22, 2017.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

March 2, 2017 is the official AMD Ryzen CPU launch date. AMD announced it on their Twitter account this morning along with this video. Quick notes that I took are that the Ryzen CPU lineup has a 52% IPC increase and the Ryzen 7 1700x beats the 6800K by 39% in Cinebench multithreaded mode! I'm still watching the video. Join us in the discussion link below!

"On March 2, enthusiasts and gamers around the world will experience ‘Zen’" - Dr. Lisa Su, who has more on Ryzen.

Don't be a Pussy, PreOrder AMD Ryzen Today! Starts at 1ET.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/02/22/dont_be_pussy_preorder_amd_ryzen_today_starts_at_1et

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  2. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

Ugh, trying to play it cool and not buy into the hype, but my hype boner keeps popping up. Schwing!

3. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

82 motherboards at launch!

4. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Watch the video!

cptnjarhead likes this.
  5. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

1800x is $499.
    1700x is $399.
    1700 is $329.

Preorders start on February 22nd!

6. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

Link was missing, I hit to reply and 4 more posts and the link is included, what is this sorcery! :)

Hype train has officially left the station, now let's hope it delivers the goods!

cageymaru likes this.
  7. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

For the moment, only on Newegg that I could find and only the mainboards. Hopefully, the fact that they are sold out is not because of stupid ebay flippers.

fadedlogic, Armenius and cageymaru like this.
  8. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Had to edit it to center the video. ;) Sorry!

-Strelok- likes this.
  9. Syntax_Error

Syntax_Error [H]Lite

Preorders for CPUs? Is this regular for AMD?

10. Koween

Koween Limp Gawd

Linus has a video up with some comparisons. Basically this is nearly the same as intel's cpus, but gives you more cores and a general bump in performance. No news on overclocking, but seems to be some good stuff (at stock speeds).

11. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

I'd really like to see them launch a 2000X with 40-48 PCIe lanes at the same core count as the 1800X, and a better chipset with a decent number of PCIe 3.0 lanes, to compete with the X299 platform that is coming up.

Abby Normal and Armenius like this.
  12. Merc1138

Merc1138 2[H]4U

I don't know if it's regular for AMD, but it's definitely absurd. Dropping $300-$500 on a CPU(and motherboard as well)without seeing any independent testing? Hell no.

sean.b, TheHobbyist, Nukester and 5 others like this.
  13. Krab

Krab Limp Gawd

Capitalism needs competition to function well.

Even if this just forces Intel to make more than an incremental improvement for a few years it's a good thing.

14. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

I'm impressed but I'm not going to buy into hype. Wait month or two, once the systems are readily available and lots of benchmarks and real-world performance and overclocking data is available.

Then lets see what Intel responds with. Massive price cuts? New hardware? They will have to do something to justify the huge price/performance gap.

15. ManofGod

I thought I would do the 1700x for home but, I think I will do the 1700 for home and work and the same time now. I just ordered 16GB more ram for the work upgrade and now I just have to wait for the boards and processors to not be out of stock. I was going to drive down to Microcenter next week but they are not even aware if they will have them or not so it would be a wasted trip.

16. ManofGod

That is cool and good for you. I want to support AMD and buying into their new platform is not going to hurt me at all. I am on the FX platform now at home and work and will be upgrading both at the sametime. However, I am going to do the Asus B350 for work and the Asus Prime X370 for home. The Hero is nice but, I do not need all it is offering anyways.

jlbenedict likes this.
  17. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Pre-order Ryzen? ROFL yeah right. Gen 1 product on Gen 1 motherboards at full MSRP price. Not gonna happen.

AMD is not known for getting it right the first time out the door. See Phenom TLB bug, Phenom 2, everything that rhymes with "dozer" etc etc

But I'm interested to see how it does. Just not buying at launch.

HoffY, griff30, Syntax_Error and 2 others like this.
  18. Snowdog

Snowdog Pasty Nerd with Poor Cardio

Preorders before they let anyone test it? Anand says they won't have benchmarks until retail availability.

If you are starting pre-orders, it's time to open the kimono, and give out some test samples.

Syntax_Error and Armenius like this.
  19. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Open up whose Kimono? Lisa Su's? No thanks.

20. -Strelok-

Pre-orders are a great idea, it gets them a bunch of money from all the fanboys and those who are already full of hype. The rest of us can sit back and wait for a review. Personally I don't like gambling in life, so I will wait, but I won't judge anyone for pre-ordering.

21. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

7 boards on Newegg when searching for "Ryzen" and all are OOS, likely just placeholders. Price range on the 7 boards is $99.99 - $259.99. More will be showing up for sure.

22. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

AKA: today :cat:.
    From what I've read the NDA expires on the 28th, so I would expect reviews to come out [H]ard and fast next Tuesday.

cageymaru likes this.
  23. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I'm not saying don't buy this, but given AMD's track record, I don't understand why anyone would be pre-ordering this without reading reviews first.

Parja, ecktt, lolfail9001 and 5 others like this.
  24. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

OMG the thread on Slickdeals is 3 pages and counting. Hype Train CHOOO CHOOO

cageymaru and Armenius like this.
  25. -Strelok-

So, IPC is on par with the LGA 2011 CPU's, does that mean this will be the same for the lower core versions? I'm assuming those will be clocked higher, but I'm guessing Kaby Lake will still have an advantage there.

26. ruffbytes

ruffbytes Limp Gawd

+1 to all comments relating to it being crazy to preorder new CPU and motherboard.

Usually the first BIOS revision sucks on new motherboard... wouldn't even buy one of them on day one.

I have to say though that I am so completely excited for the prospect of Intel having a bit of competition. This is so good for PCs!

griff30 and Syntax_Error like this.
  27. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

28. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Honestly..this is probably the most exciting thing the tech world has seen in a few years.

F.E.A.R., griff30, ruffbytes and 4 others like this.
  29. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Do any of these come with a blow job?

Will the [H] test the complimentary blow job in tandem with the five hundred dollar CPU?

I need to verify the performance of both the processor and the blow job before I spend a single Canukistanian Peso on them.

IdiotInCharge and Armenius like this.
  30. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Well I wasn't going to pre-order, but then Kyle ordered me to. :(

31. Armenius

Multi-core performance is, but we still don't know anything about IPC yet. The IPC quotes we've been getting are from AMD and comparing to other AMD processors. I expect single core IPC will be comparable to Ivy Bridge or maybe even Haswell.

32. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

^ Haswell sounds about right

Anyone else wondering how come a small, fabless company is able to produce and sell these at reasonable prices? Shintai, would you please explain the economics again?

§kynet, JustReason and britjh22 like this.
  33. Chance_P

Chance_P Gawd

any word on the 1600x release date yet?

34. Cali3350

Cali3350 [H]ardness Supreme

Linus video with a little more hands on if anyone is interested.

MaZa, techie81 and cageymaru like this.
  35. Armenius

Give it an hour or so. It's up 0.16 at 14.16 as of 11:25, with a high of 14.50.

griff30 likes this.
  36. -Strelok-

They have the 1800X (I think, or was it 1700X?) at 162 on CB single threaded, which is comparable to the 6900K. I believe the 7700K is in the 190's, so let's say ~50 points better based on Anandtech. That said, I bet if you overclock the Ryzen CPU's you can get closer to that. I'm excited to say the least, but I wonder what effects the overclocks will have on the IPC for Ryzen.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1028

griff30 and Armenius like this.
  37. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

This would be my biggest worry. Bugs, blue-screens, incompatibilities or performance issues with I/O (NVMe drives, GPU's etc)

I'll wait for [H] 's official Ryzen tests before counting them out, but I'm leaning toward avoiding being a gen1 guinea pig, and grabbing a $299 7700k from Microcenter instead.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Dunnlang, Burticus and Armenius like this.
  38. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

Probably releasing the same day at or near the leaked pricing of $260, but no pre-orders available as yet. I'm betting it'll be $270, and still manage to clobber the 7700k.

39. Crimson

Crimson Gawd

If it's like any other Texan blow-job, it starts out rough but smooths out at the end.

40. -Strelok-

Eh, I would say they'll be comparable in multi-threaded, while the 7700K will run away with single threaded. It'll clobber the 7600K no doubt.