AMC Entertainment CEO Open To Allowing Texting in Some Theaters

HardOCP News

[H] News
Statements like this show you just how out of touch the movie industry is with its customers. While it would be great to have those annoying people separated from everyone else, I don't think people would willingly use those theaters. Seriously, could you imagine what it would be like to sit in a theater where everyone was texting or talking on their phone during a movie...even if you are one of the people doing it?

Yes. When you tell a 22-year-old to turn off the phone, don’t ruin the movie, they hear please cut off your left arm above the elbow. You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That’s not how they live their life. At the same time, though, we’re going to have to figure out a way to do it that doesn’t disturb today’s audiences. There’s a reason there are ads up there saying turn off your phone, because today’s moviegoer doesn’t want somebody sitting next to them texting or having their phone on.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Waiting for them to implement this and then hearing of the subsequent closing of such because nobody uses them.

News flash: AMC's new CEO gives up one of the only things separating cinemas from a good home theater experience!

How about this instead: Tell the 22 year old, "Turn off the damn phone or I will cut off your left arm above the elbow!"

Is no experience sacred anymore? Can't one just get lost in a good story for two hours without some fucking idiot ruining it? Is that too much to ask?

I've had it with the past 5 years. People have become so god damned addicted to instant gratification like texting and social media. Put your damn phones down. And before you say "Angry Much?". When it comes to going to the movies, yes!

How about this instead: Tell the 22 year old, "Turn off the damn phone or I will cut off your left arm above the elbow!"
Was going to post this exact thing

You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone.
Here's the thing... yes you fucking can. This whole mentality of "you can't tell someone to do..." is why kids are growing up the way they are today, and why precisely you "can't tell a 22 year old to turn off their cellphone"

Seriously if this happens at a theater I'm at, I'm going to watch the movie, then demand a refund due to their cell phone policy claiming it ruined my experience that I am paying for, otherwise I could watch this shit at home.

Last Thursday I went to my local AMC to see Batman v Superman.. I was pleased it was still showing in the 'stadium' sized room. I get in there, and beyond two guys at the top/against the back wall, the theater was completely empty. A cocktail in one hand, a giant blue slurpy in the other, and twizzlers to the side. It was.. bliss.

I love hitting up the Alamo for reasons like this. Good food, good beers, and no texting/talking/etc.
If I'm going to bother going to a theater (instead of waiting a few months for Blu-Ray/Netflix), it better be a pleasant experience.

Look, if I go somewhere or do something, I need to take a selfie or twenty and then put it on my face book. If you can't deal with my flash going off every few seconds then maybe it's time to head to the old-folks home.

I'm not self absorbed, you're just out of touch.

I spent $110 on two tickets to Cirque de Solei, and some asshole decided to start texting in the middle of it in my area of vision. An usher had to talk to him twice before he finally got up and texted out in the hall.

Was going to post this exact thing

Here's the thing... yes you fucking can. This whole mentality of "you can't tell someone to do..." is why kids are growing up the way they are today, and why precisely you "can't tell a 22 year old to turn off their cellphone"

Seriously if this happens at a theater I'm at, I'm going to watch the movie, then demand a refund due to their cell phone policy claiming it ruined my experience that I am paying for, otherwise I could watch this shit at home.

Nicely Said! Totally agree with this. We have trained our society to be completely neutered, in the name of PC.

Ahh Sarcasm...

sorry the ONE thing i do not want is phone use in the theatre, if i had my druthers, there would be a faraday cage around the place...that way noone has ANY service....

i'm fine putting the phone away for 2 hrs.

Hell my kids are going to be in agony this upcoming week..esp my daughter.

No Cell Service where we are going on vacation.- except for the travel days.

Hard to find now that they're banned. Fucking great device for personal use, just too many assholes who ruined it.

And anyone using one should face criminal charges.

There are plenty of people out there with a legitimate need to keep a cell phone on them that supercedes your desire to enjoy a movie.

Who pays $12-14 to go to a place and text people?

That is what I was wondering when I saw the news pop up.

I have the next million $ idea... Start up a company that puts chairs in a room. Charge $15 for people to sit there and text. I'll even compete with the movie theaters. $5/hour to text. Dang. Why didn't I think of this earlier? :D

I went to see hardcore henry the other day and some hipster douche sat in front of me texting the entire movie. Luckily he realized and moved it out of my direct vision just as I was thinking of snatching it from him and throwing it at the wall. The whole movie he had his head staring at his crotch, he probably watched maybe 5% of it. Why waste the money on a ticket if you have no interest in watching it. Is it just so you can be a douche and say that you went to see it? I've seen a lot of douches like that at concerts that you can tell they couldn't give 2 shits about the show but they can now say they saw that band. Douche bags every single one of them.

There are plenty of people out there with a legitimate need to keep a cell phone on them that supercedes your desire to enjoy a movie.
If they are oh so important, they can stay at home. Or they can reimburse all of the other movie goers.

And anyone using one should face criminal charges.

Umm. When I make a special trip and pay lots of money to watch a movie without distractions, I have a hard time with you thinking that playing on your cell phone supercedes something I am paying for. If you need to use it during a movie, you can remove yourself from the theater at any time. I can see me "accidentally" spilling my king size soda over the back of your chair.

If they are oh so important, they can stay at home. Or they can reimburse all of the other movie goers.

I expected this type of ignorant comment.

Plenty of places have volunteer fire depts and EMTs that are on call 24/7 and dont do it in shifts. Same with doctors and veterinarians who can be called in at any time.

But of course Im sure you think they should jus lt stay home all the time because you watching a stupid movie is more important.

Ordinary citizens dont have the right to play FCC and jam cell phones, its a crime and they should be punished for doing so.

Plenty of places have volunteer fire depts and EMTs that are on call 24/7 and dont do it in shifts. Same with doctors and veterinarians who can be called in at any time.

But of course Im sure you think they should jus lt stay home all the time because you watching a stupid movie is more important.

Ordinary citizens dont have the right to play FCC and jam cell phones, its a crime and they should be punished for doing so.

Fine. Doctors and Vets get to pay for everyone's movie that got interrupted. And I would hope that any city that has a movie theater can afford to pay for professional fire fighters.

The kinds of people you are highlighting can easily afford their own movie theater at home that is even better than a public theater. Stay there. Why pay money to go to a theater when you aren't there to watch a movie? REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE THEATER. Is that so hard? Or just trying to be disrespectful to everyone the goal?

I have a fantastic plan about all of this. Don't be a dick with your phone while at a movie theater. Turn down the brightness / sound off and respectfully / covertly peek at your phone if you need to putting others comfort before

It all comes down to moral compass, intelligence and instilled family values. Rotten kids will always be rotten kids until they become POS adults so forget about most guys doing this.

I don't even take my phone into a restaurant / movie with me anymore. I leave it in the sun visor. And honestly, it makes me feel pretty badass that I have the social restraint / discipline to do this. It took me a few years to get my GF to stop jacking with her phone. She doesn't leave it in the car like me but she does turn on airplane mode and puts it into her purse.

The kinds of people you are highlighting can easily afford their own movie theater at home that is even better than a public theater. Stay there. Why pay money to go to a theater when you aren't there to watch a movie? REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE THEATER. Is that so hard? Or just trying to be disrespectful to everyone the goal?

Its possible to watch a movie while keeping a cell phone in your pocket.

Your ignorance is astounding.

And none of this justifies violating federal law and FCC regulations.

Fine. Doctors and Vets get to pay for everyone's movie that got interrupted. And I would hope that any city that has a movie theater can afford to pay for professional fire fighters.

You know absolutely nothing. Its embarassing to read the crap that you spew.

Talk about getting off topic, but are you aware that theaters arent municipal entities?

I wish everyone else followed this rule but no, I go to a theater and suddenly the guy infront of my lights up 3 rows with his blindingly bright phone during a dark scene. Then the guy behind me answers his phone and has a conversation. It's disgusting and why I decide to go to movies at 9am when only respectable people do. If you're going to be a douche, get jammed.

When did a movie theater become the paragon of civilization? Plenty of smaller cities have theaters and plenty of cities will have both vol and paid fire/EMS.

He isn't advocating that vapid assholes text during a film, just that we don't block cell service because of them.

The actual act of texting in a theater doesn't bother me. The problem is the light source / possible keyboard sounds when people do it.

I've had it with the past 5 years. People have become so god damned addicted to instant gratification like texting and social media. Put your damn phones down. And before you say "Angry Much?". When it comes to going to the movies, yes!

AMEN to that. Some newly graduated shithead at work reported me to HR for telling him texting is not a valid form of work collaboration when you need to retain a record of what you're talking about. He got all butthurt because I started refusing to text him back anything other than "Email it or it never happened".

He's no longer employed with us :)

You know absolutely nothing. Its embarassing to read the crap that you spew.

Talk about getting off topic, but are you aware that theaters arent municipal entities?
Ouch, a personal attack. I'm just going to assume that you actually can read, but are overly passionate this topic of wanting to text in theaters.

but are overly passionate this topic of wanting to text in theaters.

My goodness you dont even know what the topic of conversation is. Wow.

When did a movie theater become the paragon of civilization? Plenty of smaller cities have theaters and plenty of cities will have both vol and paid fire/EMS.

He isn't advocating that vapid assholes text during a film, just that we don't block cell service because of them.

Amazing. Literacy and reading comprehension. Such a rare quality in these parts.

And for the record, I'm not against someone briefly responding to a text. It's when someone does so for over a minute that I start to get pissed off. If someone is a doctor, vet, a parent or whatever, they can quickly see what the message is about, reply, and then either continue watching the movie, leave, or finish the conversation out in the hallway. Not a big deal as long as people are considerate.

Hey smart guy... We aren't talking about people have phones in their pocket. We are talking about them blasting everyone's eyes and ears in the theater. Apparently you are spewing from your mouth and not following the conversation. You might remove yourself and from theaters. You are probably replying from a theater right now huh? LOL

Hey smart guy... We aren't talking about people have phones in their pocket. We are talking about them blasting everyone's eyes and ears in the theater. Apparently you are spewing from your mouth and not following the conversation. You might remove yourself and from theaters. You are probably replying from a theater right now huh? LOL

Please quit while you're behind.

Back