Aion Beta

What made me quit WoW is the fact i did most of what there is to do, i guess its like with all games, you do it certain amount of time and its enough, for me it is, i guess for most people its an addiction. Game gets boring after 3-4 months

Most mmo's can't be gone through that quickly...

Those of you who are scared to try this game just go on Justin.tv and look at other people playing. That's what I'm doing to justify not pre-ordering and getting into beta from Steam.

So far from watching other players play.......the combat animation is just absolutely sick and the water effects are out of this world.

must......resist......

Those of you who are scared to try this game just go on Justin.tv and look at other people playing. That's what I'm doing to justify not pre-ordering and getting into beta from Steam.

So far from watching other players play.......the combat animation is just absolutely sick and the water effects are out of this world.

must......resist......

Don't resist... it's really fun. The character creation and animations, including combat animations, are the best of any MMO I've played. It's so amazing to be able to make the equivalent of a human, elf, dwarf, gnome, or giant just by adjusting the sliders for your character. Every other game has preset races that you have to use instead and then a couple pathetic options to modify their looks.

Anyone have an extra beta key? I really don't want to have a $59 charge on my CC for Steam when the game comes out in September for a 3 day beta.

Edit - nvm I caved and ordered a code from eBay. Should be here soon. $5 is better than $50 to try a 3 day beta.

Last edited:
Anyone have an extra beta key? I really don't want to have a $59 charge on my CC for Steam when the game comes out in September for a 3 day beta.

Edit - nvm I caved and ordered a code from eBay. Should be here soon. $5 is better than $50 to try a 3 day beta.
It's $49 on Steam, and they let you do refunds on pre-orders.

the combat animation is just absolutely sick and the water effects are out of this world.

i actually think eq2 had way better spell effects and thought aoc's melee combat better.

so aside from the subscription options and character creation why are people so into this? doesn't look like it's bringing much new to the table that will really matter after the first month.

I was informed that it's very hard to cancel the order from Steam because it's technically a pre-purchase not a pre-order like Amazon or Gamestop.

I'm happy with my purchase from eBay. For $5 I can get 3 good days of testing this game to see if it brings back the feel of pre-BC that was so epic for me in WoW.

Hope the download servers aren't clogged for those of you just joining us.

They are, and it usually is very slow. The remedy to this is to get some program that creates multiple connections to the same ftp, and then downloads the main file in pieces, and pieces it together. Something like Flashget.

I had to do this in order to download the game from the actual NCSoft downloader, else it would have taken me ages.

Here are some guides / links to alternative download servers if anyone is having slow download issues. Its really worth taking a look at the guide if you are not maxxing out your download speed currently.

Guide:
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/general-guides/17107-how-download-install-aion-without-problems.html

Alternative Links:
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/general-discussion/30191-aion-patch-1-0-2-14-mirrors.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I got cocky and thought my Aion client would be finished in 30 min like when I downloaded COD5 WAW from Steam......when I checked on it I was downloading at 85kb at 2%.

I'm in the fileplanet queue right now and hopefully I'll get a better speed.

I cannot log in to the beta...I have checked the account name and password over and over on the NC website and its correct. When i go to log into the game it says incorrect .....
Isnt the Master Account information the same as the login?..Im pretty sure..Oh well i will keep trying.

I cannot log in to the beta...I have checked the account name and password over and over on the NC website and its correct. When i go to log into the game it says incorrect .....
Isnt the Master Account information the same as the login?..Im pretty sure..Oh well i will keep trying.

You can have the MasterNC account share the same login and password as your Aion login, but it doesn't do this by default. Make sure you applied your serial and actually made an Aion account.

This weekend has been quite fun. PvP non-stop. Very bad if you're a sub 28 trying to level though.

when i log into the Nc website for my account it lists Aion as the game i have the account with...Also says password is ready to play the game?
What else do i need to do?

Most mmo's can't be gone through that quickly...
Says you...If you know what your doing and have someone help you its very easy. I didnt play wow since release but when Lich king came out, skimmed through it and that was the end of it

Not buying this game. The beta was enough for me. TOO korean/kung fu/anime characters for me. Although the female characters were nice to look at.....

Graphics are pretty good. Looks like WOTLK but one of the best water I've seen. Combat animation are also one of the best I've seen.

Not investing in this game, just does not have that "WoW pre-BC" factor that I am trying to find again. Just does not have that just dinged level 10 and entering Orgrimmar feel for me. I don't think I'll ever find that ever again.

Not buying this game. The beta was enough for me. TOO korean/kung fu/anime characters for me. Although the female characters were nice to look at.....

Graphics are pretty good. Looks like WOTLK but one of the best water I've seen. Combat animation are also one of the best I've seen.

Not investing in this game, just does not have that "WoW pre-BC" factor that I am trying to find again. Just does not have that just dinged level 10 and entering Orgrimmar feel for me. I don't think I'll ever find that ever again.

its not wow....

nothing will match what wow was (classic wow) for along time... people just have their standards and will have a hard time seeing past wow for quite some time.

As much as I hate to admit it; I agree with this. I've tried almost every MMO pre and post original WoW but nothing has ever captured that feeling again. I really wanted to like Aion but I ended up uninstalling it and canceling my pre-order within a few minutes. After creating my character and killing that first mob; I already felt burnt out. Maybe I'll be ready for MMOs again in a few years with Blizzard's or Bioware's next game.

I had a blast with the beta and will be playing retail. Though, I will admit levels 1-10 are pretty boring. Once you hit level 10 and start to get the class specific abilities, the game opens up. I was never a big fan of the super asian style MMOs, but this one is definitely entertaining, for me at least.

Bah, to the fiery depths with all of you haters! :p

Joking aside, I'm actually liking this game a lot. Hopped in during the last beta event (end of July) and made a Templar. I was really digging the effects of combat and environments. I really love how it actually looks like you're hitting something when you make combat contact.

Flying is a nice refreshment (gliding more-so) from running around. Armor and the rest of the gear starts to look really friggin' awesome around level 15ish, and just keeps getting better. This last beta event I made a Chanter and I think i'm hooked on a Chanter they are an incredible class.

With that being said, I do have a few negatives in my book for this game. Some may have been mentioned before but...

1. The world beyond where you travel and/or need to travel. It seems like a pretty much A to B road, at least for the starting areas. It's fairly linear in the zones in this game. I think they make up for the large open areas for grinding spots by bringing about "channels" which allow you to switch if an area gets too crowded. it's kind of frustrating that I can't really stray off to the side and do my own thing in a lot of areas.

2. View distance. I play this on my rig in the sig and the view distance just seems so short. This is CryTek 1 engine, remember... FarCry? You could see for a mile or so. Not the case here, almost gives it a claustrophobic feel.

3. Spells are very weird. Though gorgeous and fantastic to watch your damage... it's pretty annoying that you cannot turn your character when you're casting anything but an instant spell... and you still can't move until you've finished that spells complete animation. For example, as a priest when you cast Smite, you raise your arms up when the spell casting bar is finished then bring your arms down as if you're "smiting" them, even though the casting is over with, you still can't move until your arms are back to normal spot. Rather hard to explain but if you've played a caster you will know what I'm talking about.

4. Kill stealing. Very. Fucking. Annoying. This game does not work on "tagging" mechanics. If you tag a mob of any kind and someone comes up and starts wailing away on it and does more damage than you (OR A GROUP) to said mob, they get the kill and the loot for it.

Maybe a few others can touch base on a few things that I have noticed and maybe some other opinions.

I definitively agree with mustangs #1, much too linear, I like having more choice in what I'm doing versus go here kill x, next go here kill y, next go further down same road kill z. As for #4, it was the same in Lineage, it stinks, but I expected no less. View distance I didn't notice a problem with, as for spells, it's different but I wouldn't count it as a negative. All in all I had a good time, tried out a few different classes, ended up leveling a Chanter into the 20's after several others into the teens. I didn't go in expecting WoW, which it seems some did, if I wanted WoW, I'd play WoW, if I wanted vintage WoW, I'd play on a classic private, I wanted something else, and rather enjoyed Aion. I'm hoping for an Open Beta to play a bit more.

Right I agree, I'm not expecting a Vanilla WoW... I'm actually not wanting a WoW. I want something a little more challenging and something that takes little more time to do different things. I find it rewarding to take a night of a few hours and do elite quests. It makes it more worth my time to split my time up in game. Rather than in WoW you can't peel yourself away from the computer because you are just "that... much... closer... [to starting your next chain =P])

Has anyone else seriously not noticed a severe lack in view distance? You can't even look all the way down the road without Fog of War.

I wish it was still up so I could see, but I really didn't notice, I may just be blind (I do have horrible vision, comes with age) :p

Heh, hey I'm 22 and I just my prescription for glasses last August. First time ever to the eye doctor. They couldn't believe me. They said I would have done better in school with eyeglasses! :p

Bah, to the fiery depths with all of you haters! :p

4. Kill stealing. Very. Fucking. Annoying. This game does not work on "tagging" mechanics. If you tag a mob of any kind and someone comes up and starts wailing away on it and does more damage than you (OR A GROUP) to said mob, they get the kill and the loot for it.

THIS !

This is the main thing that pisses me the f off in this game. I still will play but still HATE ks ing.

2. View distance. I play this on my rig in the sig and the view distance just seems so short. This is CryTek 1 engine, remember... FarCry? You could see for a mile or so. Not the case here, almost gives it a claustrophobic feel.

so, i've learned sum time back that there was NO swimming animation. recently i've learned that the water is actually the "WALLS" in this game. u can't swim or fly over water. that seems retarded. that would make it feel even MORE claustrophobic to me.

3. it's pretty annoying that you cannot turn your character when you're casting anything but an instant spell... and you still can't move until you've finished that spells complete animation.

is melee combat the same?

have not played this yet and am looking forward to it.

leaning toward the "bad" guy side. black wings look more intimidating.

did the beta again this weekend and we got our guild up to level 2 with the neat tabard and stuff, like it so far

level3 guild you can have your custom crest on shields, capes, etc

did the beta again this weekend and we got our guild up to level 2 with the neat tabard and stuff, like it so far

level3 guild you can have your custom crest on shields, capes, etc

nice. i like customizing the guild like this. i heard in EQ2 it was very customizable. unlike WoW. here's a tabard and ur done. pretty much.

can u name all the lvls and what u get for guild customization plz?

I canceled my pre-order as well this weekend. Got my chanter to lvl 20 and love the class, the graphics, and the story line seems semi-compelling, but again I fall into this trap every MMO that comes around. I hate soloing now a days and since none of my friends are going to be playing it just feels like the same old grind.

Nothing inherently wrong with that mind you, but the game seems to be so solo friendly I can't ever really see the need for grouping outside the odd quest or two. I'm just burnt out more than anything it seems.

I leveled a gladiator to 14 the wife a ranger to 14. I played both. I gotta say I love the chain system just wish you could maybe cancel to a seperate move instead of 2 predetermined. Linear wise kind of ended at 10. Becoming a daeva was awsome. I do agree though nothing will ever beat walking into iron forge for the first time. All in all we're gonna keep playing into launch. Went into this hoping for different from wow so far we found it. Loving the simplicity of it after 5 years of wow.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

As much as I hate to admit it; I agree with this. I've tried almost every MMO pre and post original WoW but nothing has ever captured that feeling again. I really wanted to like Aion but I ended up uninstalling it and canceling my pre-order within a few minutes. After creating my character and killing that first mob; I already felt burnt out. Maybe I'll be ready for MMOs again in a few years with Blizzard's or Bioware's next game.

the original wow was designed for gamers. it was big on memorable moments, progression, and increasing difficulty to reward people. as time went on, wow kept becoming more and more casual friendly, and the game difficulty fell through the floor, and subscriber numbers went up. blizzard targets people who want to put as little effort into the game as possible, they will never design another mmo like the original wow.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

whats the best way to get into beta if me and my wife want to try this game out?

Hey everyone long time hard member

Me and some friends started a podcast for AION

Please check it out and become part of our community

www.aionpodcast.com

aionpodcast.jpg

why do people want the WoW Pre BC feel?

You mean the spam frost bolt spam for mages?
Shamans, Druids, Priests and Pallies all had to heal in PvE.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

why do people want the WoW Pre BC feel?

You mean the spam frost bolt spam for mages?
Shamans, Druids, Priests and Pallies all had to heal in PvE.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Honestly, I miss WoW 1.9. First patch where Pally DPS was actually viable.

Back