Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

My $0.02:

Ordered Shimian QH270-Lite from seller dhsummer early morning 8/3. Total cost $275.90

Package arrives at my door in Georgia the afternoon of 8/7, I figured it would take twice as long to get here.

Screen is basically perfect. There's one stuck pixel. My old SOYO had several stuck pixels so this is pretty good. I can't notice it unless I look for it.

Came with a 110-240v power brick which works fine. Plugged it into the power chord from my old monitor.

Back of the monitor is spartan with just the power input and dual dvi port. Fine with me.

I thought it would look and feel bigger. The higher resolution is definitely noticable, but so is the aspect ratio difference. I wish they still made 16:10 monitors. A 30" version of this would have been pretty sweet.

Glossy screen is more reflective than the matte SOYO but it's not as terrible as some people say.

The stand is just fine in my opinion. It's would take a strong earthquake to possibly knock the monitor over and it doesn't feel any worse than the cheap stand on the SOYO.

Gives off a LOT less heat than my old SOYO (power brick gets slightly warm). I assume this is because of the LED backlighting.

My 6850 seems to have no trouble adapting to the higher resolution for the games I play.

TLDR: It's cheap and it works fine. Would recommend.

they do make 2560 x 1600 16:10 30 inch monitors Dreamseller has a bunch of them for $799
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRST-FSM-3...4794?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4d032f2b9a

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you get a flawless unit also?

I got the Achieva Shimian 270 lite that Krash recommened from Red Cap. It came in two days from Korea and works like a charm. It really seems like the best deal I have ever gotten in tech (knock on wood). Granted only had it for a day..

This is likely a dumb question but say i got two video cards two run 3 of these things - does that mean I have to use SLI to game in something like world of warcraft. I heard that SLI can cause problems and microstutter.. Or can one card like do all the work..

i wouldn't want to use a DP to DVI converter because that would add input lag to one monitor. And I wouldn't want one monitor with multi-input because that monitor would have input lag. What are you guys doing with regards to this?

I was never that interested in 3x monitor gaming but I mean at these prices its not crazy..

they do make 2560 x 1600 16:10 30 inch monitors Dreamseller has a bunch of them for $799

Yeah well I meant for a reasonable price. If I can get 16:9 for $276 why would I pay $800 for something marginally better.

Hopefully in the future we will be able to buy 30" LED Matte screens without antiglare coating for under $400. Until then I'm happy with Shimian.

I really wanted the higher resolution even though it is marginally better, the +3" for only gaining a small amount of pixels means everything is a little bit bigger. But for +$400?!? Crazy.

Yeah well I meant for a reasonable price. If I can get 16:9 for $276 why would I pay $800 for something marginally better.

Hopefully in the future we will be able to buy 30" LED Matte screens without antiglare coating for under $400. Until then I'm happy with Shimian.

The Spyder 4 Elite & i1 display pro are the only good colorimeters right now. The i1d2 and spyder 3 are inaccurate (500k colour deviance) & are not meant to be used with LED back-lit displays.

I use an i1 display pro, the spyder 4 elite will also work but make sure you get the elite version.

My CrossOver 27Q LED-P was very blue out of the box (8,500k Colour Temperature), my ICC profile is avaliable in TFT Central's Data Base

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/crossover_27q_led-p.icm
thanks NCX.. Been using the ACD profile.. but will try yours on my Crossover tonight.

Hi everyone, I've read as much as I can, but with 180 pages it's a little difficult to pinpoint my answer.

I bought the QH270-Lite 27, and I was wondering what connections it had on it. I assume DVI-d, but any others?

Thanks.

Hi everyone, I've read as much as I can, but with 180 pages it's a little difficult to pinpoint my answer.

I bought the QH270-Lite 27, and I was wondering what connections it had on it. I assume DVI-d, but any others?

Thanks.

Only the dual dvi.

Tons of laptops can out put DL DVI. You just need to check the specs, oh and lots of PCs have DP out as well which means that you dont need a macbook, its just one of those things you might not have checked for when you bought a laptop so at random you just might not have it old or new.

One of the sellers messaged me back to say there is an unspecified issue with the DisplayPort on the Intel 3000 graphics.

I got a information.

On board intel HD3000 graphic has problem with DP port.
Mac Mini 2011 - X
Macbook air 2011 - X
Macbook Pro 13" - X

- ta_planet

I think Macbook Pro 13" was the last 16:10 laptop on the planet too.

One of the sellers messaged me back to say there is an unspecified issue with the DisplayPort on the Intel 3000 graphics.

I think Macbook Pro 13" was the last 16:10 laptop on the planet too.

Uh... I sit not so high in my chair of savings after reading that. Mine is one the way, but I'm planning on running it from my laptop... Now I do have a dell precession m6600 rocking the quadro 3000m, BUT it uses optimus which is Intel's graphics combined with nvidia - like video card throttling so it switching cards when it needs the horsepower (for those who don't know what optimus is). Now, I can run 3 displays max - I would assume that 2 are from the quadro and 1 from the Intel, but I'm not so sure that's true anymore.

My port replicator gives me VGA. "DVI-D" (so it says...) and ANOTHER DP+. I've read that the replicator DOES NOT do dual link. Yes I'm rambling, but I'm trying to fish for knowledge. Without the replicator I have HDMI, VGA, and DP+. Now I'm concerned.

Should I be?

DVI-D is not the same thing as Dual Link DVI. As such, you are out of luck until you purchase something like this adapter. Note that many people sell similar adapters, but they are all expensive. You may want one that is full DP not mDP, but you get the idea. It must be ACTIVE DP/mDP to DUAL LINK DVI. Your model WILL NOT WORK without Dual Link DVI input.

I wouldn't worry too much about optimus and displayport or whatever. The "3 displays max" thing will all be coming out of your quadro. Enduro is where the dedicated GFX goes to sleep when it isn't needed. It is NOT about both working together at the same time. That is SLI and you can't SLI with built-in Intel graphics. When you have 3 monitors plugged in, the dedicated GFX will never sleep.

Received my Shimian Lite perfect pixel from Red Cap a couple days ago. I have one dead pixel and some major backlight bleed coming from the bottom left corner. I'm really hoping the photos I sent him are convincing enough to send me a replacement.

Uh... I sit not so high in my chair of savings after reading that. Mine is one the way, but I'm planning on running it from my laptop... Now I do have a dell precession m6600 rocking the quadro 3000m, BUT it uses optimus which is Intel's graphics combined with nvidia - like video card throttling so it switching cards when it needs the horsepower (for those who don't know what optimus is). Now, I can run 3 displays max - I would assume that 2 are from the quadro and 1 from the Intel, but I'm not so sure that's true anymore.

My port replicator gives me VGA. "DVI-D" (so it says...) and ANOTHER DP+. I've read that the replicator DOES NOT do dual link. Yes I'm rambling, but I'm trying to fish for knowledge. Without the replicator I have HDMI, VGA, and DP+. Now I'm concerned.

Should I be?

You purchased the QH270-Lite which only has DVI.

What I posted was about another model with DisplayPort and the seller implies there is an issue with it and some graphics card.

DVI-D is not the same thing as Dual Link DVI. As such, you are out of luck until you purchase something like this adapter. Note that many people sell similar adapters, but they are all expensive. You may want one that is full DP not mDP, but you get the idea. It must be ACTIVE DP/mDP to DUAL LINK DVI. Your model WILL NOT WORK without Dual Link DVI input.

I wouldn't worry too much about optimus and displayport or whatever. The "3 displays max" thing will all be coming out of your quadro. Enduro is where the dedicated GFX goes to sleep when it isn't needed. It is NOT about both working together at the same time. That is SLI and you can't SLI with built-in Intel graphics. When you have 3 monitors plugged in, the dedicated GFX will never sleep.

Well, I am no stranger to mono price let me tell you... I have the DP+ to DVI adapter so we'll see what it does. But The 3 monitor max is a spec from the quadro specifically. The ATI mobile version will allow 7 monitors but the nvidia is limited to 3. Not trying to argue here, but I know for a fact that the optiumus plays a very big roll here, it causes problems, disables 3d, and controls the number of displays. I'm not trying to do SLI, I have no desire (or ability) but I know from messing with the Intel color correction, that there are specific monitors controlled by the intel, and I remember correctly, Intel controls 2 and the quadro only allows me 1. My question is simply what external is being supplied by the quadro. I guess this is a I'll tell you when I get it. I don't anticipate many of notebook owners doing this, but I guess I can spearhead this quest and get some answers for power notebook users like myself.

PS - I do have a powerful desktop, but when I travel this laptop and two monitors move easier than a massive desktop.

Sorry I haven't searched the thread (it's a bigass thread), but has anyone used one of the versions with HDMI, Component, etc. as a TV, used it with a Wii or Xbox? How does the up-converting to the higher resolution work? Does it look good or would you prefer a 720p or 1080p 32" TV instead?

I'm thinking that I might have my office space in the new house in the living room area, so I might spend some more and get one of the versions with HDMI/VGA/Component/etc and use it as a TV as well as a Wii monitor

any Korean model have FULL FRONT GLASS (with bezel under glass) like Apple 27" monitors?

Not anymore apparently. Don't know why you'd want it. It just gives you two layers of reflections and introduced the possibility of dust in between the screen and the glass.

Sorry I haven't searched the thread (it's a bigass thread), but has anyone used one of the versions with HDMI, Component, etc. as a TV, used it with a Wii or Xbox? How does the up-converting to the higher resolution work? Does it look good or would you prefer a 720p or 1080p 32" TV instead?

I'm thinking that I might have my office space in the new house in the living room area, so I might spend some more and get one of the versions with HDMI/VGA/Component/etc and use it as a TV as well as a Wii monitor

If you feed it 720p content it will look exactly the same as a 720p TV (better than a 1080p TV). If you feed it 1080p content it will look WORSE than a 1080p TV but better than a 720p TV. I don't know what a Wii ouptus at. And I don't know what resolution your TV connection gets (I'm stuck at 720p :()

any Korean model have FULL FRONT GLASS (with bezel under glass) like Apple 27" monitors?

I believe any of the "tempered glass" versions of these monitors are what you are looking for. Example Shimian, Example Catleap There are lots lots more depending on what brand you prefer.

EDIT: please note I make no recommendations of the particular ones I linked. I just ran a very quick search and posted a decent looking link. Always buy from a reputable seller, and please use [H]ARDOCP commissioned buying links when buying off of ebay.

Negative Ghost Rider. Those versions you listed have tempered glass in front of the screen but a plastic bezel around the edge, over the tempered glass. He was asking for models with tempered glass that covered the entire front surface, a la mac desktops.

I know a bit back there was a transition in the tempered glass models wherein they went from having the front surface fully covered by the glass to having the plastic bezel over the glass. At that point in time the product pictures on the ebay listing still showed the picture where the glass was over the entire front. Pissed a few folks off.

There may be sellers out there with the older style tempered glass displays, but double check before you buy if they say they have them. Make sure they're willing to give you free return shipping if you get the wrong kind.

Oh. Good to know :p

I know somebody with a tempered glass version that is full covered, and the pictures looked pretty similar. I guess they had to change it because too many people's glass just fell off?

Hey XBarbarian

Who did you get the Crossover from ? and how is it ??

This wasn't directed at me but I noticed you hadn't gotten a response and I received my Crossover 27Q a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd share.

I bought from Green-Sum on a Sunday and the monitor was delivered via DHL on Friday, so the shipping wasn't quite as fast as others have experienced but I wasn't upset by any means. I did receive a tracking number from Green-Sum on Tuesday morning, so about 36 hours after I made my PayPal payment. The monitor was shipped in a box with no outer bubble wrap like you see on some of the others, but the packaging inside the box was fine and really the monitor arrived pretty much exactly how I've received them from large U.S. resellers. I inspected the monitor after delivery and I couldn't find any sort of manufacturing defects or shipping damage.

The monitor itself looks great, but I'm actually not a huge fan of the white backing. Of course my desk is up against a wall so nobody ever sees the back of it and the material is actually metal (I'm guessing aluminum). The monitor really doesn't get hot under use, though the case does feel a little warm. Nothing I'm worried about though, I've used MacBooks in the past so I'm used to how metal will heat up more than plastic. I don't foresee any sort of overheating problems. There are three buttons on the back, on for power and two for brightness. The buttons are actually kind of pointy, which is new but they don't puncture skin or anything. I did realize that I have to hold down the button to get brightness to increase instead of tapping it rapidly. When the monitor is on there is a blue light in the bottom right corner, it isn't offensive or that bright but it is about the size of a piece of Trident gum. When the monitor isn't receiving a signal but is still powered on the light turns red. They neither pulse nor flash and stay solid 100% of the time, only changing color based on your computer state.

I opted to keep the AC adapter that shipped with the monitor, but I did toss the DVI cable included with the monitor and used one I bought from Monoprice. I've heard some people had trouble with the bundled DVI adapter so I figured I'd just circumvent that headache. The AC adapter works fine with a three-pronged connector used for PC's or other monitors and my brick doesn't seem to get much more than "warm", even after hours of use.

The monitor itself is absolutely gorgeous. I have a secondary 27inch 1080P monitor (I know) beside it and the Crossover blows it away. My monitor doesn't appear to have any dead pixels but I don't test like other users, I mainly just use it and if I notice a dead pixel I'd note it. I did test the backlight and there's a slight bleed along the top in between the center and the far left. I can't notice it and honestly it just looks like a little bit more pronounced IPS glow (if that makes sense). Calibration does seem a little off out of the box and I'm planning on playing with it when I have a free afternoon, but it's more than fine for me right now. High resolutions photos or pictures are stunning, the color and image quality are top notch and are identical to the 27inch iMacs. Games, obviously, look excellent as well. If you want to run with high settings though you're going to want a beefy graphics card (I went from a 560ti to a 670).

One thing I will say though, I have above 20/20 vision and sitting roughly 3.5 feet away from the screen makes text a bit too small. I have my secondary for text but if your going to be more then 2.5 feet from the screen you might want to think about a secondary or increasing the DPI in your OS. Totally personal preference but something I wanted to point out as it was the biggest change I had to get used to. Oh and the glare coating on the screen doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. It's funny, I mainly use glare screens on laptops and since they are portable my lighting situations changed often. Since this monitor is stationary I can set the ambient light in my room and I barely notice the reflection. However on dark screens with one lamp on in the room I can see someone sitting behind me (about 10 feet) reflecting off of the screen. Again not something I see when I'm actually doing something but the screen does have a reflection. If you are in a room where you can't control sunlight or ambient light you might have an issue.

I think that's it. If I had to do it all again knowing what I know now I absolutely would. These monitors are exactly as advertised and its one of the few times I can easily say that you aren't getting what you've paid for, you're getting more. If you're on the fence I say do it.

Thanks SonDogg.
Soon as I can I'm grabbing two and upgrading from my 245bw's :D

Asked this before but never got a solid answer.

Current setup with XFX 6950 2GB
Samsung 245BW DVI
Samsung 245BW MiniDP to DVI
Dell 2209WA MiniDP to DVI
Samsung LN 46C630 HDMI

Prospective setup with XFX 6950 2GB
Crossover 27Q DVI
Crossover 27Q MiniDP to Dual Link DVI Converter
Dell 2209WA MiniDP to DVI
Samsung LN 46C630 HDMI

This is the adapter that I "should" use right?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2

I presume that this is the only way to retain all 4 displays?
Are there any other options so that I do not have to get the MiniDP to Dual Link DVI Converter? Maybe use an adapter to convert the HDMI to DVI for one of the Crossovers and then another adapter to cover the DVI to HDMI for the TV?

Last edited:
You are correct, that is the only way to keep 4 displays assuming you buy 2 crossovers that are DVI only. And you are correct, that is the adapter you want.

HDMI->DVI is single link only. So no joy there.

Really, I just wish more monitor makers supported displayport. It is such a good standard... and free!

Meh. I hate having to buy adapters.
I paid a bunch for the two miniDP - DVI and now one of them is worthless.
I know the Crossover is barebones, but at least throw some futureproofing into it man!!

SonDogg

Great write-up...your really getting me off the fence with your report. ( dam you :p )

I was lookng at Accessorieswhole as a seller( $50 more but only 3 max dead pixiles and he looks at the unit before shipping)..but now im leaning towards Green-sum ( figure if I get 5 dead ones it is just my luck) Im lookng at a GTX680 card but have not decided on one as of yet...

Also did you pay for the extra 3 yr warranty thru E-BAY ? $50 ( Squaretrade Warranty ) I figure it is way worth it.

Thanks for the input

AP514

support [H]ARDOCP by use'n [H]ARDOCP commissioned buying links when buying off of ebay.

Got my monitor today, and I'm using the Dell Precision m6600 Laptop. it has the quadro 3000m and a very funny switching technology (optimus, go read about it and it's bugs). I can't get the monitor to activate with my system. Making sure I'm not using the Intel video, I can get the VGA port (using an adapter" to extend the desktop to the q27 at the native resolution but actual picture. Of course I'm not expecting it to work with a VGA adapter, but it was worth a try. Figured this would be good reference info for anyone sharing my laptop or similar situation.

From Monoprice, I have thee DP to DVI adapter, this is NOT the active adapter so I can tell you, it does not work.
On the docking station there is a DVI port, but it is NOT dual link.
The DP on the station also does not activate the monitor.
All ports recognize the monitor and show that it's there as well as give me the option to extend or use the monitor, but when hitting apply I simply get a message saying that the settings cannot be applied, paraphrasing...

Question - is there anyone getting this monitor to work at a lower res, while NOT using a dual link cable?

I'm going to change cables and see if anything changes.

WELL, I DID IT ! ! !

I pulled the trigger and bought a CROSSOVER from Geen-sum. got the Crossover and the ( Squaretrade ) Extra Warranty $389 total

I will post when it arrives...Fingers crossed...

Now which GXT680 should i get ??

AP514

[H]ARDOCP supporter......
I went thru the [H]ARDOCP commissioned buying link

WELL, I DID IT ! ! !

I pulled the trigger and bought a CROSSOVER from Geen-sum. got the Crossover and the ( Squaretrade ) Extra Warranty $389 total

I will post when it arrives...Fingers crossed...

Now which GXT680 should i get ??

AP514

[H]ARDOCP supporter......
I went thru the [H]ARDOCP commissioned buying link

Good for you, I know you'll enjoy it. I didn't go for the SquareTrade warranty in my particular case because this monitor is purely for games, if it dies it doesn't cost me business-wise and honestly I'm pretty cheap when it comes to extended warranties. I don't think it's a bad idea to protect yourself, I just can't offer any anecdotal evidence concerning SquareTrade.

As for your graphics card upgrade I'd actually steer you towards a 670 over a 680 (due to the overclocking potential of the 670) if you're set on Nvidia but you may want to research a little bit because apparently the ATI cards are slightly better with AA at 1440+ resolutions. I don't really get upset if I can't max all the settings in games, and as I mentioned in my write-up I sit somewhat far away from my monitor so I don't really notice any aliasing unless I specifically look for it. I went with an ASUS 670 and have really only tried modest overclocking and the card at stock seems fast enough for me. I've read that if I overclock my memory I'd get a pretty solid AA boost so I'm sure I'll give that a shot eventually. I guess the issue is current Nvidia cards are somewhat limited by their memory bandwidth but I don't notice it a whole lot. I certainly don't want to talk you down from Nvidia's most recent crop though, they're stupid awesome cards (and I'm sure the higher end ATI offerings are as well).

I don't play a ton of modern games but I can tell you that I am able to play the following games maxed out without any noticeable drops in frame rates (remember though this is purely my perception, it isn't backed by benchmarks or anything but opinion): Saints Row the Third, World of Warcraft, DIablo 3, Portal 2, Boarderlands, L.A. Noir, Civilization V and Batman Arkham Asylum (sans high-level tessellation so I guess not exactly "totally maxed" on this one. It is playable I just don't like dramatic frame rate drops).

Once you start digging into graphics cards reviews you'll be shocked at what you can buy both in terms of price and overclocking ability. In the case of a 680 and 670, I easily hit 680 speeds on my 670 without a voltage boost and I paid roughly $80-100 less. And I can't say enough good things about Adaptive Vsync on Nvidia cards, it's one of those features that you use and you kind of wonder why its taken so long to make it to market.

bc733e0e.jpg

I ordered the QH270-IPSBS from TA Planet on August 10 and received it by August 14th. I will first say my experience with TA Planet has been great; however my first experience with the Shimian has not. When I first plugged the monitor in and powered up my PC I noticed the screen appeared as the picture above, so I powered it back off and on again and all was well. At least all was well for about 3 hours, and then the screen went blank. I thought maybe the game I was playing had locked the computer up, so I shut everything off and then it happened. The monitor now only displays like the picture above. So I've boxed it up and shipped it back to Korea today. TA Planet agreed to pay return shipping and I consider them going above and beyond what’s required of them. I do hope my good experience continues with them, but so far all I can say is that they have been super.

The display on the monitor was superb while it lasted and I didn't notice any bleeding or stuck pixels. I certainly hope my exchange lasts a LOT longer.

Last edited:
I've seen talk about so many different monitors through the pages.

I'm looking for one with a thin bezel ( want to go triple screen maybe ), but more importantly I want to replace my Acer monitor.

Anyone have any suggestions? or someplace to get all the info on the different ones that breaks it down.

Last edited:
I've seen talk about so many different monitors through the pages.

I'm looking for one with a thin bezel ( want to go triple screen maybe ), but more importantly I want to replace my Acer monitor.

Anyone have any suggestions? or someplace to get all the info on the different ones that breaks it down.

Couple threads for you...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675965

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1644035

The really thin bezled lcd's are Samsung S23A750D debezeled.
Vega would be the one to talk to about thin bezeled LCD's. I think he's tried a few different ones in the past.

That should get you started :cool:

i bought the yamakasi catleap several months ago, and i'm now having problems with it. the power brick if not plugged into the monitor has a soild green light. if i plug it into the monitor, the monitor's power LED flashes red, and the LED on the power brick flashes green.

i purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-24V-5A-For-EFL-2202W-LCD-Monitor-4-pin-Tip?item=300555688796&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1386101699122554607 based on a recommendation from another forum, and it doesn't work at all with the monitor. does anyone have any suggestions on what's wrong with my monitor?

Well, just got a tracking # from Green-sum. My Crossover has already left.....;) yippy

and on another Note

I pulled the Trigger on a MSI GTX680 4GB O/C Twin Frozr $579 w/ free game (newegg)

AP514

Updates to follow

Oh snap gentlemen!

I found out I still have this card lying around from God knows when:
http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/vga/gv-r455d3-512i_20/advantage/

Would I be able to get away with this instead of a new adapter?
How seamless would it be when moving windows across two screens that are run by different GFX cards? Right now it takes a few moments when moving video from screen to screen.

I'd be using the two crossovers for LightRoom4.. so would the secondary image preview lag behind when rendering by two different cards?

Back