3x 120Hz Eyefinity Portrait Setup

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
3x 30" was a setup I had previous done and it was a bit overwhelming. Not to mention I do not care for 60 Hz.

This is my attempt at a portrait setup running 120Hz smoothness yet retaining some of the benefits of high resolution and also having a THIN bezel:

3xSamsungOwl1.jpg

This took quite some custom work and is about as thin as bezels as I think can be possible for Eyefinity. Now I knew before going into this that TN panels have serious viewing angle restrictions that is exacerbated in portrait. Although, the largest fall-off is on the right hand screen on the last 1/3rd, it doesn't bother me a great deal as it usually only is quite noticeable on dark images.

On the desktop above straight on you can see it handles fairly decent. Still tweaking the screen alignment.

Cons: Viewing angle especially on outer portion of right screen is livable but could be better.

Pros: 120Hz smoothness, thin bezels, glossy panels (personal preference), LED low power/heat, decent high-resolution.

Planning on playing BF3 and Guild Wars 2 on this setup.

What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/zPACzI9yUSA?hd=1

Last edited:
I've got the displays all aligned and I have measured the gaps between lit pixels on adjoining screens. 6.3 millimeters which turned out quite darn good. My goal was to keep it under 1 centimeter.

Any chance we can get some descriptions/pictures of what you did to make this work? I just picked up one of the same, pretty great.

Good God Vega those look fantastic! Alright, I know what I want for Christmas this year....pppppllllleeeeeaaaaaasssseee post pictures of your modification process.....and how did you mount them to the stand?

Does anybody want to buy three Dell U2410s? I may be selling them with a triple stand mount....or not depending on Vegas answer lol.

Oh yea, how does text, word processing, etc look on them in portrait?

Wow... congrats. How much did all that cost you? That is an amazing setup for 120hz :)

Any chance we can get some descriptions/pictures of what you did to make this work? I just picked up one of the same, pretty great.

Good God Vega those look fantastic! Alright, I know what I want for Christmas this year....pppppllllleeeeeaaaaaasssseee post pictures of your modification process.....and how did you mount them to the stand?

Does anybody want to buy three Dell U2410s? I may be selling them with a triple stand mount....or not depending on Vegas answer lol.

Oh yea, how does text, word processing, etc look on them in portrait?

Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the whole process as I'd figure individuals willing to do such mods are extremely rare. Although, I could do a write up if people are seriously interested in purchasing these screens. I figure I have about 15 hours or so in this mod. The largest issue is that these monitors are real fragile inside. Especially when handling the circuit boards and ribbon cables etc. Along with that is removing the micro-fan with a heat gun when gutting the base/stand. Since the bezels and sub-housing retainers are removed I had to custom secure the LCD panels to the backlights so that they do not fall out. ;)

Nice!! Welcome to the 120hz Portrait eyefinity club Vega. BTW didn't you deploy or is that still a little far away? anyway loving the new rig. I'd be really curious to see if you get this all into your sub zero cooling setup and working and what final clocks you get. Are you still using that setup?

Wow it looks like you went all out and not only removed the bezels but the inner housing too, that's extreme and definitely [H]ard. :)

Damn that looks great! How come you manage to garage-trim the bezels but no one is selling anything like that. Great job!

That is a very nice setup.

A while back I almost snagged 3x22" 120hz viewsonic for ~450$ total... I was aiming for a setup similar to this... then the store refused to sell them to me... pricing error.

I'd love a 3x 1920x1080 but I refuse to go multi GPU... so I'll stick to single 120hz for now.

Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the whole process as I'd figure individuals willing to do such mods are extremely rare. Although, I could do a write up if people are seriously interested in purchasing these screens. I figure I have about 15 hours or so in this mod. The largest issue is that these monitors are real fragile inside. Especially when handling the circuit boards and ribbon cables etc. Along with that is removing the micro-fan with a heat gun when gutting the base/stand. Since the bezels and sub-housing retainers are removed I had to custom secure the LCD panels to the backlights so that they do not fall out. ;)

Dammit, that sounds beyond my skillset :eek:

Alright, seeing that you are Vega lord of the [H]ard, when you get bored of the setup in three months and want to replace it with a rocket fueled, carbon cooled hectabilliondefcomII setup, let me buy this one off of you :D

BRB enrolling in electrical engineering courses

What is the left hand controller? You are using that mouse for fps? Interesting.

Nice!! Welcome to the 120hz Portrait eyefinity club Vega. BTW didn't you deploy or is that still a little far away? anyway loving the new rig. I'd be really curious to see if you get this all into your sub zero cooling setup and working and what final clocks you get. Are you still using that setup?

Wow it looks like you went all out and not only removed the bezels but the inner housing too, that's extreme and definitely [H]ard. :)

My orders got changed so it looks like I may be heading to South Korea instead in the spring. I have not hooked it all up into the sub zero cooling setup yet.

Damn that looks great! How come you manage to garage-trim the bezels but no one is selling anything like that. Great job!

I'd imagine because the screens become real fragile if you do not have bezel "protection" around the edges of the screen. On three sides of the LCD panel are ribbon cables which if you even slightly damaged would ruin the screen. You can see them in the picture above, they are the small gold/tan looking items at the top edge of the monitors.

Beautiful setup Vega. What cooling are you using on the 6990s to get those clocks?

Just using stock fans at 100% for now. Surprisingly even at 1.25 v at those frequencies all I get to is around 71 deg C under full stress. It is funny though as 2x 6990 fans at 100% makes an F-16 taking off sound quiet. :D

The good thing is that the sound is of a higher frequency so it does not penetrate walls well. With my computer in the other room from where my setup is (all the wires go through a small hole in the wall behind build-in-bookcases), even with the 6990 fans at full tilt I cannot hear them.

Vega-

Out of curiosity, what made you trade in the 580 3GBs for the 2x 6990s?

Thanks.

Your sig says 3x Samsung S23A750D custom 120Hz Portrait Eyefinity

What part of it is custom? Like, there isn't special I would need to do to get 120hz out of this monitor, right?

Does 120hz help even when you don't get that 120 fps?

Your sig says 3x Samsung S23A750D custom 120Hz Portrait Eyefinity

What part of it is custom? Like, there isn't special I would need to do to get 120hz out of this monitor, right?

Does 120hz help even when you don't get that 120 fps?
you do not need 120 fps to see the difference over a 60hz lcd. image motion is much less jittery and blurry no matter what the framerate is.

you do not need 120 fps to see the difference over a 60hz lcd. image motion is much less jittery and blurry no matter what the framerate is.
and that fluidity is gained without any of that motion plus frame filling in BS right?

I too would like to see more pics/details about the bezel mod. Not that I would probably be able to do something similar but very curious to know what is involved in performing such a task. That setup looks very impressive with the thin bezels!

The main issue I'm thinking about is hard mounting these super thin LCD's.

I don't think they have standard vesa mounts. This would make bolting them to a stand a difficult/fragile task.

3M Double sided tape? :D

The main issue I'm thinking about is hard mounting these super thin LCD's.

I don't think they have standard vesa mounts. This would make bolting them to a stand a difficult/fragile task.

3M Double sided tape? :D

I'm also mostly curious about this. Vega, how did you get these converted to VESA?

I had to do a custom solution. I will try and get a pic up of the back when I get home from work tonight.

My jaw dropped when I saw your setup. I'd consider selling my u3011 and buying 3 of these for a similar config.

Your triple 30 was beautiful too. :p Sick work, sir!

Looks amazing but I would never risk such a project unless I had unlimited funds, but then I would be more interested in doing this with some of the faster aggressive ag-less IPS panels and running them all @72-76hz if possible.

Very nice, welcome to the world of 120Hz! Unless you're doing color sensitive work, I think too much if made of the negatives of TN panels, especially the better ones and with desktop setups where you'll tend to view them at narrow angles, though not in your case with portrait mode.

What is the left hand controller? You are using that mouse for fps? Interesting.

Left hand controller is a Logitech G13. I've always used a trackball as a "mouse".

Vega-

Out of curiosity, what made you trade in the 580 3GBs for the 2x 6990s?

Thanks.

I've sold the 3GB 580s a while ago as I got rid of the 3x 30" setup as I wasn't doing flight sim's anymore.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Was curious because I'm still trying to decide between getting two 6990s or 3x 580 3GBs for running BF3 in 5760x1200. My only concern was that the 2GB/GPU on the 6990s might not be enough with high settings/AA. However, the 6990s are much cheaper comparatively to the 3x 580s. :(

Sounds like you got rid of your 580 3GBs before BF3 beta though, or? Thanks!

I've sold the 3GB 580s a while ago as I got rid of the 3x 30" setup as I wasn't doing flight sim's anymore.

was the only reason for the 3x 30" was for flight sims? Do you find your portrait 120hz monitors are more useful overall?

was the only reason for the 3x 30" was for flight sims? Do you find your portrait 120hz monitors are more useful overall?

I can't compare it with 3x30s since I've never used such a setup but 120Hz monitors provide smoother gaming, period. I also think that 120Hz panels are easier on my eyes, I don't have any objective way to prove it but I've heard others say the same thing. I think that for anything that doesn't require color accuracy 120Hz TN is superior to IPS technology with on a desktop until non-TN panels get up to speed. Laptops, tablets and other mobile devices however have need for much wider viewing angles than desktops and thus I think on those devices wide viewing angles are much more important than refresh speed.

Back