Vega's Heavyweight display and computer; edition 2012

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
What complete computer gaming system could literally weigh half of a ton (not including the liquid)?

The build log commences...

7897.jpg

+

576.jpg

+

897.jpg

+

SANY0001-14.jpg

+

111.jpg

+

2453.jpg

= ?

Setups of past:

SANY0001.jpg

SANY00043.jpg

SANY0008-3.jpg

SANY0001-7.jpg

3xSamsungOwl1.jpg

SANY00062.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/CallsignVega/videos

Zybaine.png

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1588587

With an almost mathematical certainty, I am building the worlds only 3x FW900 portrait, no bezel gap, seamless Fresnel lens, Ivy Bridge, Quad Kepler, three user select-able cooling loop (Ambient, phase-change, Geothermal), gaming computer.

Your run of the mill system. :D

Last edited:
You're going to buy an old, broken down plane and put a computer in it. That's the best guess I've got.

Following.

EDIT: Didn't realize you wanted to reserve posts. Muh bad.

I'm not going for minimized bezels, I am going for no bezels! :confused:

So you're making a rear-projection system and aligning the output from all 3 CRTs onto a single surface? If you're using fresnel lenses are you ok with the chromatic & other aberrations introduced?

So you're making a rear-projection system and aligning the output from all 3 CRTs onto a single surface? If you're using fresnel lenses are you ok with the chromatic & other aberrations introduced?

This thread is so [H]ard its going to make my head hurt a bit :p
Good luck with the build Vega!

awesome!

also glad to see someone else uses the trackman, which imho should have killed off mouse usage 10 years ago.

Testing various technologies as we speak.

awesome!

also glad to see someone else uses the trackman, which imho should have killed off mouse usage 10 years ago.

By far the best computer controller ever made. ;)

BTW that galvanized steel drill bit in picture #4 was harder to make than you would think! I just hope it doesn't create too much collateral damage on the FW900's.

Wouldnt you need to reinforce your desk to handle all that additional weight? Would kinda suck if the [H]ard community lost you if you had an accident with your display setup.

Looking fwd to seeing the results too. My monoprice cables should arrive tomorrow so that I can start running a fw900 again, but mine will have a 60hz led backlit 21.5" lcd on each side. I'll be interested to see the cost of this lens setup outside of the crt monitors themselves, and how well it works in conclusion. It might be tempting depending on all factors.
Regarding the weight, I posted some links in the fw900 thread to some sturdy nightstand type things that can butt up against a desk. If you keep your desk out from a wall rather than against a wall like a bookshelf they allow you to keep your crt back further on its own stand, or partially on it if you prefer, rather than the crt taking up a huge footprint and weight on the desk itself.
.Btw I am very adept at using the thumb-ball mice as well. I had the microsoft one early on, and I still use the thumb-ball trackman marble + a ms4k keyboard on the ACD side of my desk for typing. I use another when I'm repairing people's computers, or at any browsing and desktop app based pc work. Not having to move the base at all is very advantageous and ergonomic. However for gaming I use a g9x for fps, and a naga for mmo / rpg. I could prob still do pretty well in a fps with the thumb ball though. The big thing about the thumb trackball usage imo besides actually re-learning how to use a mouse when you start using it, is to configure the sensitivity high without acceleration. I keep it so that I can at the very least cross the screen from center by rolling the ball 90 deg in either direction, or side to side with a 180 depending how you look at it.

edit - adding wireless trackman marble thumb link. Difference is they are wireless, and have "blue balls" :rolleyes: Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wouldnt you need to reinforce your desk to handle all that additional weight? Would kinda suck if the [H]ard community lost you if you had an accident with your display setup.

Looking fwd to seeing the results too. My monoprice cables should arrive tomorrow so that I can start running a fw900 again, but mine will have a 60hz led backlit 21.5" lcd on each side. I'll be interested to see the cost of this lens setup outside of the crt monitors themselves, and how well it works in conclusion. It might be tempting depending on all factors.
Regarding the weight, I posted some links in the fw900 thread to some sturdy nightstand type things that can butt up against a desk. If you keep your desk out from a wall rather than against a wall like a bookshelf they allow you to keep your crt back further on its own stand, or partially on it if you prefer, rather than the crt taking up a huge footprint and weight on the desk itself.
.Btw I am really adept at using the thumb-ball mice as well. I had the microsoft one early on, and I still use the thumb-ball trackman marble + a ms4k keyboard on the ACD side of my desk for typing. I use another when I'm repairing people's computers, or at any browsing and desktop app based pc work. Not having to move the base at all is very advantageous and ergonomic. However for gaming I use a g9x for fps, and a naga for mmo / rpg. I could prob still do pretty well in a fps with the thumb ball though. The big thing about the thumb trackball usage imo besides actually re-learning how to use a mouse when you start using it, is to configure the sensitivity high without acceleration. I keep it so that I can at the very lease cross the screen from center by rolling the ball 90 deg in either direction, or side to side with a 180 depending how you look at it.

That would be hilarious. In local newspaper: man dies from blunt trauma after 400lbs worth of display equipment crushes his head while he was working on wiring under the desk. :D Oh ya, I am building a custom desk for this out of stainless steel.

Well like I said, the idea was that the crt's weight is on its own stand. I had mine one one of these for three years and it is very sturdy. I never felt like it was going to collapse like a desk might. In fact I would stand on it no problem if the crt wasn't on it and I weigh 200 lbs. It also kept the crt bulk from soaking up my desk space and allowed it's screen to stay more in line with the lcd I paired it with near the back/edge of the desk. The lighter wood one matches the sides of my desk pretty well too. In some of the older pics of my desk with my fw900 on it you can make out the stand if you look for it.

I prefer my desk being out in a room more not stuffed against a corner, so this worked well for me as I had room behind the back of the desk. Its just a suggestion or option I thought I'd throw out there since it was brought up.

desk_nightstand_1.jpg

desk_nightstand_2.jpg

Vega...
As amazing as that setup is, I have to ask. For that much money, why don't you go fly a fighter plane or shoot the guns in the games you play? Ok well, maybe the fighter plane is significantly more, but the guns are not. This is coming from someone that realized that he could go out and play with the guns in the games he was playing. ;)

SANY00034.jpg

Your not taking my computer without a fight. :) Also good luck with running away with 100lb monitors. FW900's have built in theft deterrent!

Nice anthro arm -- where'd you get the keyboard mount, though? Never saw one on the anthro site.

SANY00034.jpg

Your not taking my computer without a fight. :) Also good luck with running away with 100lb monitors. FW900's have built in theft deterrent!

Scar... 16 I assume? Can't make out if it's a 16 or 17 in the picture. The 17 is on my wish list. 92FS inox, I always enjoy shooting mine. The last two... FN5.7 and... I want to say 870, but doesn't seem right on either counts. Good to know you're not spending too much time at your computer. ;)

I was gonna say 870 (have one sitting next to me), but the front grip looks different or he has it pulled back?

Come on Vega, don't keep me in suspence, I'm curious if I nailed them. I'm pretty sure it's a five-seven this morning, but still only about 90% sure on the 870.

I was gonna say 870 (have one sitting next to me), but the front grip looks different or he has it pulled back?

there are about 500 different front grips you can put on the mossberg and winchester shotguns.....

Nice anthro arm -- where'd you get the keyboard mount, though? Never saw one on the anthro site.

It's been a while, I can't remember where I got it. I might be going with an under-desk keyboard tray with my new build seeing as I won't have to switch monitors anymore.

Come on Vega, don't keep me in suspence, I'm curious if I nailed them. I'm pretty sure it's a five-seven this morning, but still only about 90% sure on the 870.

Ya you guys got them all right. :cool:

Not many attempts at my little picture puzzle. Hint time: the 5th picture is a house covered with what, and what is leading to the house?

Hah, the pictures were made smaller in order for it to not be too easy. ;)

So yes, with an almost mathematical certainty, I am building the worlds only 3x FW900 portrait, no bezel gap, seamless Fresnel lens, Ivy Bridge, Quad Kepler, three user select-able cooling loop (Ambient, phase-change, Geothermal), gaming computer.

So yes, with an almost mathematical certainty, I am building the worlds only 3x FW900 portrait, no bezel gap, seamless Fresnel lens, Ivy Bridge, Quad Kepler, three user select-able cooling loop (Ambient, phase-change, Geothermal), gaming computer.

EPIC. That is all. :D:eek:

That's jsut sick...

It's been a while, I can't remember where I got it. I might be going with an under-desk keyboard tray with my new build seeing as I won't have to switch monitors anymore.

I've got a nice bolt-on Anthro one if yer interested. I've got a bunch of Anthro stuff i've been meaning to list in FS/T.

Back