Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I got all excited when I started reading through this thread, but not so excited anymore. Judging from comments, even with the higher refresh rate these would still not be as good at gaming as TN monitors. Or am I misreading the thread entirely?

Well...no...I would stick with a 120hz TN for SC2 and COMPETITIVE shooters.

The beauty with this 1440p monitor at 97hz, however, is that it's great for everything else. Also, it is cheap enough so that you can own both...eventually.:p That's my plan at least.

Well...no...I would stick with a 120hz TN for SC2 and COMPETITIVE shooters.

The beauty with this 1440p monitor at 97hz, however, is that it's great for everything else. Also, it is cheap enough so that you can own both...eventually.:p That's my plan at least.
Not to split hairs or anything but in the interest of accuracy and preventing further confusion:

the Catleap:

= 85hz for ATI

= 100hz for Nvidia

;)

I got all excited when I started reading through this thread, but not so excited anymore. Judging from comments, even with the higher refresh rate these would still not be as good at gaming as TN monitors. Or am I misreading the thread entirely?
You've wandered into either personal preference (you might be looking for bleeding edge gaming characteristics) or personal perception territory (misreading comments maybe).

What is it about those monitors that allows for the refresh rate increase "cheat" vs other monitors?
The limitation wasn't written into it's firmware, in so many words. I'm guessing it was simply overlooked and not on purpose.

Last edited:

Well, 100hz is not far from 120hz and the pixel response time is apparently very decent and there doesn't seem to be any input lag on the Catleap so that's still great for the price. Coupled with the PQ and res I'd say it's still one of the best gaming monitors at the moment.

Of course if all you care about is responsiveness 120hz TN panels are still better.

That's not bad. Certainly I think most of us here can easily determine if there's going to be a problem with any hardware in that kind of time frame.

Return shipping to Korea is about 100 bucks.....

BB

I guess if the ONLY thing you care about is refresh rate and nothing else, then yes, they're not "as good".

What is the consensus on which seller, greensum or dreamseller, does a better packaging job?

Is there any difference between the Q270 and the Q270 SE? I don't want the tempered glass, speakers, or a scaler.

Extremely close to pulling the trigger on this one.

Q270 has speakers, Q270 SE doesn't. Both have glass and non-glass versions. Neither have a scaler. Only the multi version with all the inputs has a scaler.

Mine arrived from dream-seller like this:
catleap-bubblewrap.jpg

Thanks for the information. I recall reading in the thread that the model with the speakers (Q270 you say) was less desirable for some reason--is that true?

No, the hardware is basically the same. The one without speakers still has functional volume buttons. It just doesn't have speakers hooked up and doesn't have an audio jack soldered on.

Great! One final question then: how hard is it to "overclock" this monitor to 80-100Hz (assuming an Nvidia card, I know AMD seems to be limited to 85)? Is it just a matter of setting a value somewhere? Finally, is there consensus on whether monitor overclocking affects longevity/image stability?

Maybe the OP can include a FAQ of sorts for these types of questions if he has time.

Great! One final question then: how hard is it to "overclock" this monitor to 80-100Hz (assuming an Nvidia card, I know AMD seems to be limited to 85)? Is it just a matter of setting a value somewhere? Finally, is there consensus on whether monitor overclocking affects longevity/image stability?

Maybe the OP can include a FAQ of sorts for these types of questions if he has time.

The first post in this thread over at OCN will likely answer plenty of questions. The OP compiled it from the 150+ posts there from people who have gotten one of these monitors.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/...g-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

It's a long read, but worth it if you're going to risk around $400 on something that it will be a nightmare to return if you either get a bad one or decide you don't like.

wabbitseason said:
Great! One final question then: how hard is it to "overclock" this monitor to 80-100Hz (assuming an Nvidia card, I know AMD seems to be limited to 85)? Is it just a matter of setting a value somewhere?
NVIDIA users can add a custom resolution to get 100 Hz:

necriss said:
Here are the Nvidia Control Panel timings for 100hz Catleap. Automatic timings allow a maximum of 97hz, for 100 the following manual timings are required.

aaYqs.jpg

ATI/AMD users can use my program to get 85 Hz by adding a detailed resolution with these timing parameters:

catleap-detailed-85hz.png

Program: http://www.toastyx.net/cru-preview.zip
Release notes: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038342324&postcount=6

wabbitseason said:
Finally, is there consensus on whether monitor overclocking affects longevity/image stability?
There isn't much data out there, but I've been running the NEC EA231WMi at 83 Hz for over two years without problems.

You may see very faint horizontal lines at higher refresh rates, but those lines are also there at 60 Hz. Raising the refresh rate makes the lines slightly stronger, but I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen those lines on most H-IPS panels, but I didn't bother mentioning them since hardly anyone seems to notice them.

The HDMI equipped Catleap seems to be what I'd need. So the general consensus on these is pretty good? Any common issues?

I don't like quoting my own post but, anyone down for a summary of events? Don't really want to read through a 23 page thread.

Out of curiosity, how warm does the monitor itself get when in use (external PSU aside--I'm thinking of the casing and after that the actual screen)?

I don't like quoting my own post but, anyone down for a summary of events? Don't really want to read through a 23 page thread.

The HDMI catleap has the most inputs and actually has a scaler to use other resolutions as well as an OSD but no one has received one yet as they were just listed on ebay.

NVIDIA users can add a custom resolution to get 100 Hz:

ATI/AMD users can use my program to get 85 Hz by adding a detailed resolution with these timing parameters:

Program: http://www.toastyx.net/cru-preview.zip
Release notes: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038342324&postcount=6

There isn't much data out there, but I've been running the NEC EA231WMi at 83 Hz for over two years without problems.

You may see very faint horizontal lines at higher refresh rates, but those lines are also there at 60 Hz. Raising the refresh rate makes the lines slightly stronger, but I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen those lines on most H-IPS panels, but I didn't bother mentioning them since hardly anyone seems to notice them.

Question about using your program... How do you know a refresh rate is valid?

If you pick some refresh rate for a monitor, restart, and then try to apply that resolution and it doesn't take will Windows just do the 30 second time-out and reset to the old one?

My Catleap is probably showing up tomorrow or Saturday (It left San Fran customs 11:00am this morning). and I wanna mess with it, but don't want to break it.

Blazestorm said:
Question about using your program... How do you know a refresh rate is valid?

If you pick some refresh rate for a monitor, restart, and then try to apply that resolution and it doesn't take will Windows just do the 30 second time-out and reset to the old one?
Yes, that's basically what you have to do. I don't have a way of testing the resolution through the program since the program basically just creates an EDID override, which requires a driver restart to take effect.

Haha, I must have done something wrong because it auto-picked a bad setting once I restarted. I was just playing around with it on my 3007, I figured not much would happen.

Luckily Windows has an option to force the resolution back to 640 x 480 and I was able to fix it.

Also Windows says my DAC is 400MHz, you think my 5870 could do 100hz like the Nvidia cards?

Got my Shimian with glass today and wow are these nice. No dead pix, no dust behind glass and next to nill for backlight bleed. If you are on the fence jump over it.

Mine is in NYC. I'm in NJ so hopefully it gets here reasonably soon. It'd be nice to have by the weekend, but my guess is Monday.

Blazestorm said:
Haha, I must have done something wrong because it auto-picked a bad setting once I restarted. I was just playing around with it on my 3007, I figured not much would happen.
The first resolution is considered the native or preferred resolution, so if you edited the first resolution instead of creating a new one, it will boot into that.

Blazestorm said:
Also Windows says my DAC is 400MHz, you think my 5870 could do 100hz like the Nvidia cards?
The hardware is capable, but the driver ignores anything over 330 MHz when using dual-link DVI. We would have to convince AMD to remove the 330 MHz limit, or at least raise it to 400 MHz.

When you say first do you mean the highest up in that list? Because my custom one was the lowest.

And ah, didn't realize it was a driver-level thing.

Also I picked a resolution I never edited and it seemed to pick the bad refresh rate automatically..

I picked 2560 x 1600 @ 72hz (330mhz) ... That failed so I restarted at 640 x 480, I could only see 1920 x 1200 on the list but I picked that and it failed. Which leads me to believe it was picking 1920 x 1200 @ 72hz even though I never setup that resolution.

Last edited:
Would someone mind, and only if you have a high end Micro Three Thirds Camera or DSLR, take several photos for us on this thread. I am wanting several pictures of the fit and finish of the case, base, rear panel etc. I am even wanting to see some extreme angle shots and some not so extreme angle shots with visible content on the screen. Something static and colorful / vibrant. I am wanting to get a sense of the quality of this display, especially the glass if your display has this feature. However, any model would do. Close ups of the power adapter, especially the label and also the label on the rear of the unit. Even nice quality photos of the product box would greatly be appreciated. I am very interested in this display but importing this product from South Korea without high quality photos, especially with little recourse for it's return if there are issues, I would like to have a better sense of what I am buying. Photos would help many of us to overcome our initial fears. At least for me it would. Thank you in advance.

My shimian finally shipped! :) cant wait. Love high res. My 20wmgx2s had a good run

Thanks. Would like a bit more high quality photos. Lots of those are smallish and a bit muddy. Not much varied content. Not to be demanding but I'm considering not 1 display but 3.

I am interested in the catleap, solely for having a quality IPS panel with capability of > 60 hz for gaming. I'm gonna wait on the catleap multi(with scaler and HDMI) consensus before I pull the trigger though. Is it confirmed that the Catleap Multi version has OSD?

Ok, I missed the acronym dictionary so what is OSD? Sorry I went through most of the threat (I want to say 95% of it) and I just gave up. That being said, Mine should be getting on a plane nowish Korea time, so it should get here tomorrow morning I think, then customs and whatever followthrough in Cali, I have a D90 and should be able to take the pictures requested, and I will also be taking detailed pictures of the Catleap WITHOUT the back (as I and several others have asked for already :p ) since I want to use the VESA Mount.

WOOHOO!

Thanks. Would like a bit more high quality photos. Lots of those are smallish and a bit muddy. Not much varied content. Not to be demanding but I'm considering not 1 display but 3.

Yea, that's why I'm just test running 1, I want 3, but figure I'll test one out for a bit before investing any more.

Ok, I missed the acronym dictionary so what is OSD? Sorry I went through most of the threat (I want to say 95% of it) and I just gave up. That being said, Mine should be getting on a plane nowish Korea time, so it should get here tomorrow morning I think, then customs and whatever followthrough in Cali, I have a D90 and should be able to take the pictures requested, and I will also be taking detailed pictures of the Catleap WITHOUT the back (as I and several others have asked for already :p ) since I want to use the VESA Mount.

WOOHOO!

On Screen Display

Basically that little menu interface you get on most TV's to go through options, pick inputs, etc. These are just plain monitors.

Is it confirmed that the Catleap Multi version has OSD?

It would be useless because it's in Korean. Unless you can figure out what all the menus do. I believe tftcentral's review of the Hazro 27" has screenshots of the menus in English so you might be able to figure it out from there.

Back