Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

Without scaling, the image still shows up, but it just shows up small at 1:1 pixel mapping.

BB

Mine was marked shipped... I think USPS Express International / EMS.

Was actually shipped Tuesday 3/6, 8pm their time. (I mention their time because they're like 17 hours ahead of me) So we'll see when it arrives...

I just bought the catleap without the tempered glass. I really wanted the glass version of the Shimian but I got sucked in by the possibility of 100hz refresh rates.

I couldn't resist. ended up buying a catleap to use temporary until I get my broken cinema display replaced. let's see what happens!

what gamer wouldn't be driven insane by dust behind the glass?

One that will sit and play until he dies at the table? :D

I've got tons of little blobs of blood floating in my vision from diabetic retinopathy (blood vessels in the eye leak into the clear fluid of the eye) and it's like looking through a lava lamp 24/7 to some degree, so I likely wouldn't even notice dust.

Stuck/bright/dead pixels on the other hand would likely drive me insane if i spent $800-1000 on a screen like that, but for $350-400, I think I'd live with it, though it would take some time to get used to it.

Without scaling, the image still shows up, but it just shows up small at 1:1 pixel mapping.

BB

Even without setting up the display drivers first? The boot information is visible at 1:1 pixel mapping?

That's great if true, I often prefer not to scale anything.

That's great if true, I often prefer not to scale anything.

lol, same here. I don't like the boot logos to be all scaled to distortion. Although a lot of monitors give you a 1:1 mode that will remember its setting on a per-resolution basis, so there's no real advantage to be had in this case.

What kind of horsepower is required to push 85hz at that resolution for high definition video playback? For playing something like skyrim at a lower resolution but scaled through the video card(if possible with my card.)? I currently have a Galaxy GTX 560ti. Would this be adequate, or would it require two cards in SLi? System specs in sig if relevant.

You mean 85fps? The "hz" has nothing to do with horsepower really, it's just how many times per second the GPU wants the monitor to renew the displayed picture. With your card you could play Skyrim just fine (just get rid of anti aliasing and maybe a couple of things) in native res, unmodded Skyrim doesn't need that much VRAM or anything.

You speak about video playback but there is no way you'd have any issue with that, unless you're using the wrong codecs/media player. Even upscaling a dvd or a blu-ray won't push your hardware all that much if you use something like mpc-hc + madVR & LAV filters.

Mine has a small spec of dust behind the glass, I'm currently trying to decide how brave I am / how likely I am to be able to get it cleaner than it is currently rather than make it worse if I open it up. Otherwise flawless, no stuck or dead pixels, fairly good backlight uniformity. It's a shame they use the same back piece for all models, having the speaker grills there but no speakers / the hole for the audio cable but no jack makes it feel cheap, but for the price and the quality of the panel I can't complain.

I do wish I'd got one without the glass -- on the off chance anyone wants the glass and lives in the Aiken SC / Columbia SC / Augusta GA area, I'll do a straight trade with you if you buy the version without glass and change your mind.

Last edited:
Lots of good info in this thread. I bit on a ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-IPSB last Wednesday from dream-seller, and shipping has been quite slow so far. I received a tracking number today, and my monitor is now waiting to leave Korea I think.

I think dream-seller may be seeing a little more order volume than he's used to because of this thread and the one over at Overclockers, so things could be a bit slow. He took about 3 days to ship mine.

Yea I think that and the Korean holiday screwing things up. I don't really mind the wait that much, but I do wish that I had gone with a seller that ships FedEx. I didn't know EMS uses USPS and will require me to be present to sign for it. I will be at work while it gets delivered unfortunately.

Yeah. Mine was ordered on the 29th and just shipped yesterday.

It's on a plane right now... I hope I get it by Friday but I'm not holding my breath... I wish I would have just ordered hue day before when I first made up my mind.

So should I sell my 850D and get one of these now or what? I'm kinda pissed I spent more than double what these go for just 5 months ago. :mad:

Depends on how much you value having the Samsung's connectivity, adjust-ability, higher native gamma (extra vibrancy at the price of minor black crush) and the semi-glossy screen vs low input lag, higher hz, natural gamma and glossy screen.

Last edited:
Are any of these models *not* glossy?

I've been rocking the Soyo DYLM24D6 for several years and am interested in upgrading, but glossy panels are a dealbreaker for me.

Man wish mine would ship or get a response/update back already. Im getting impatient lol

STILL haven't gotten MINE! F**K!

Ordered the 1st of march, reported as shipped the first of march. Recieved tracking number 5th of March, tracking number as of tonight still doesn't work.

One more day and one more email to see if tracking number finally works. If not and no satisfaction from the seller, off to E-bay Buyer protection shortly after that.

But enough about my shit luck. For those who don't like glossy screens, get the glass covered one and then use this matte applique.

BB

Did anyone ordering in Canada get dinged with duty? Or in the US if it works the same way for that matter?

All are glossy.

I am so glad the for that, it's usually the opposite for higher quality panels with manufacturers catering to the "I need this for professional use" crowd and their intolerance for any reflectivity. I would feel more sympathetic if there was a dearth of non glossy screens, but it's the opposite. Except in korea I suppose, god bless the koreans, they gave me the samsung gsII, and now they give me more high end glossy monitor options along with more decent looking car options like the newer hyundais

any kind of noise from these monitors?

i'll probably be buying 2-3 "q270 se" today
wanna increase my chances to get one with no stuck pixels and good backlighting

Haven't heard any noise from mine, and I'm normally very sensitive to that sort of thing. The lack of an internal PSU and no inverter for the backlight (LED not CCFL) means they should all be fairly quiet.

Little worrisome the included power brick only lists 220v input (not 120-220v) but I just swapped the cable as others have and it seems to be fine, no issues with the monitor and no noise / not much heat from the brick.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread yet, but Dream-Seller now has the multi-input Catleap w/scaler + hdmi for a lower price, $435 shipped atm.

Note to threadskimmers, this model will have at least double the input lag, and we aren't sure if you can increase the refresh rate, so anyone purchasing this would be our guinea pig :D.

Note to threadskimmers, this model will have at least double the input lag, and we aren't sure if you can increase the refresh rate, so anyone purchasing this would be our guinea pig :D.

I'm going to ask it again:

What is it about those monitors that allows for the refresh rate increase "cheat" vs other monitors?

In other words, how's come some monitors can do it and some can't?

Haven't heard any noise from mine, and I'm normally very sensitive to that sort of thing. The lack of an internal PSU and no inverter for the backlight (LED not CCFL) means they should all be fairly quiet.

Little worrisome the included power brick only lists 220v input (not 120-220v) but I just swapped the cable as others have and it seems to be fine, no issues with the monitor and no noise / not much heat from the brick.
that's good to hear
just ordered 2 of them

I'm going to ask it again:

What is it about those monitors that allows for the refresh rate increase "cheat" vs other monitors?

In other words, how's come some monitors can do it and some can't?
its just the electronics used
going for fixed 60hz saves like 1$ production costs :rolleyes:
panels can generally be driven at any refresh rate

its just the electronics used
going for fixed 60hz saves like 1$ production costs :rolleyes:
panels can generally be driven at any refresh rate

Is there something specific I should look for?

I tried to "cheat" the refresh rate on my NEC 2490wuxi for grins and it was no dice. It looked really funky.

Hell, I'd love to run a higher refresh rate if I could get away with it.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread yet, but Dream-Seller now has the multi-input Catleap w/scaler + hdmi for a lower price, $435 shipped atm.

Is that this?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATLEAP-Q27...6249?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3372544079

vs

This?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CATLEAP-Q27...1362?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3372d98a02

Returns:
14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping

That's not bad. Certainly I think most of us here can easily determine if there's going to be a problem with any hardware in that kind of time frame.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there something specific I should look for?

I tried to "cheat" the refresh rate on my NEC 2490wuxi for grins and it was no dice. It looked really funky.

Hell, I'd love to run a higher refresh rate if I could get away with it..
its impossible on most monitors
and even the ones that unofficially support it are usually limited to around 75hz

this is amazing! Not half the price of u2711, but 2/3 still sounds wonderful!

But, why all the fuss about higher refresh? Only benefit i see is possibility of 3D, so please open my eyes for hidden treasures :D

The HDMI equipped Catleap seems to be what I'd need. So the general consensus on these is pretty good? Any common issues?

I got all excited when I started reading through this thread, but not so excited anymore. Judging from comments, even with the higher refresh rate these would still not be as good at gaming as TN monitors. Or am I misreading the thread entirely?

Back