980ti SLI vs. single 1080ti

silent-circuit

[H]F Junkie
Seriously considering selling my cards while they're still worth something and picking up a 1080ti. Am I looking at roughly the same performance? Better? Worse?

Better in games that properly support SLI, worse in ones that don't. What resolution do you game at?

4K, 60hz. I may go back to the 34" ultrawide at 3440x1440 if eyestrain proves an issue with the 40" 4K, but that's unlikely.

I'm making this switch next week when my card arrives. All the tests I've seen show very comparable performance for games with good SLI scaling, and far better performance for everything else. Seemed like a good trade for me personally, since fewer games are supporting SLI, and the scaling is very hit-or-miss on the games that DO support it.

I'm making this switch next week when my card arrives. All the tests I've seen show very comparable performance for games with good SLI scaling, and far better performance for everything else. Seemed like a good trade for me personally, since fewer games are supporting SLI, and the scaling is very hit-or-miss on the games that DO support it.

I'm a lazy bastard - mind linking me a couple of the reviews that showed you this?

It's already been said by CruisD64, you'll get substantially better performance/frame-rates from games that properly support SLI with the 980Ti's @ 4K. (Anywhere from 20-30% more.) However, things like VR would definitely benefit a TON from the 1080Ti. Overall, it's a side grade at best for the most part unless you are into VR and non-SLI games, then its a pretty good upgrade.

It's already been said by CruisD64, you'll get substantially better performance/frame-rates from games that properly support SLI with the 980Ti's @ 4K. (Anywhere from 20-30% more.) However, things like VR would definitely benefit a TON from the 1080Ti. Overall, it's a side grade at best for the most part unless you are into VR and non-SLI games, then its a pretty good upgrade.

Seriously considering a Rift or Vive in the next couple months, but for the time being the 980tis do well enough in the titles I play.

Still, I'm tempted to sell them while the pair can nearly pay for a single 1080ti, and I may add a second if it proves underwhelming.

The truth is, a pair of 980 ti's in SLI is the best bang for anyone's dollar right now and have been since they came down in price last summer. I sold my pair in a system and came out way ahead. So it was the right move for me but even with my single 1080 ti FE, I am still behind in performance.

More games support SLI than games that do not.

I've also heard that the 980 ti's architecture allows for greater performance than the new 1080 / 1080 ti when it's used in an SLI config. Something about tiles? I dunno. I've read a lot and do not want to go and look it up all again.

If you wait much longer, your cards with drop to below $200 each I'm guessing within the next 6 months. What are they worth now? $300 each?

All things considered, you're going to lose a lot of FPS across the board.

As mentioned, I have the new 1080 ti FE and it certainly DOES NOT come close to 60fps @ 4K. It's actually about 45 to 50ish in most games with settings on high to very high.

I remember my 980 ti's in SLI giving me about 70 - 90 fps in most games at 4k.

Last edited:
Pascal definitely have a lot worse SLI scaling than Maxwell, especially on lower resolutions. 4k is fine, 3440x1440 is cutoff, anything lower the scaling usually goes down the drain.

Seriously considering a Rift or Vive in the next couple months, but for the time being the 980tis do well enough in the titles I play.

Still, I'm tempted to sell them while the pair can nearly pay for a single 1080ti, and I may add a second if it proves underwhelming.

Well, a 980Ti's VR performance is actually not too shabby either come to think of it. I sold both of mine to upgrade to a Titan XP back in August of last year. There are definitely advantages to be had, but again, it's more of a side grade or even slight downgrade when it comes to 4K gaming.

I still think we are not going to have true 4k @ 60fps gaming unto the 280 ti this time next year.

Oh silent-circuit! Haven't seen you in forever... I thought about you the other day because I got my old system from 2008 running for my father to have a simple system for basic stuff. And I remember all the problems we both had with that MSI P7N Diamond motherboard lol

I have a single 980ti and have been debating picking up a second for SLI for cheap myself... I go back and forth between my 4k 60hz screen, my 1440p 60hz screen, and my 1080p 144hz screen, and definitely not getting the performance I want from my single 980ti even though it's a year and a half old.. I can't decide if I want another for SLI, or sell it and get a 1080ti. But I don't want to go through the hassle of selling my gpu really.. so I'm completely undecided.

If you want to cut the power draw and heat output in half and don't mind taking a performance hit on games that have proper SLI support, then go with the 1080Ti.

Back