• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

980 Ti @ $599?

They literally did exactly just that last titan cycle release. The 780 released 3 mo later within 5-10% (half vram, slightly less cores, no dp) of the titan and could overclock to match/beat a stock one for $650. The og titan had throttling issues and couldn't overclock so well without disabling gpu boost 2.0. The 290x released at $550 and forced a 780 price cut to $500 and they released the 780 ti and later 780 6gb ($550) and titan black ($1k).

If the previous titan cards sold so well at $1k because of it's DP, then what justifies the $1k price tag now? I said it months ago and I'll say it again just like previous titan for gaming, the titan x will be a 1k card for basically 4gb of extra vram.

From what I heard from system builders is that they sold very well for workstation pcs. 1k is still a lot less than a high end quattro.

The throttling issues were more due to the tpd being set so low. Quick fix with a bios mod. I owned one that throttled really badly. You'll probably see my posts in the early nvidia forum thread, wasn't happy about it.

Could just be that tmsc has improved which is why you don't hear about that with GTX780 and 780ti. Wouldn't be surprised. People are also claiming that later 290x will clock better than the early models.

Still it wasn't gamers driving later titan sales from what I hear.

FYI, you didn't need to disable gpuboost. You just needed a quick bios edit to up the power limit a bit. Did it on my card and it overclocked as well as my 780s which aren't power limit limited. I had one of the worst offenders too.

You are right, GTX780 went on sale 5 months after Titan. Still wasn't faster though. I wouldn't expect that unless AMD twists their arm. Like they did with 290x. Only after that did we see 780 drop in price and 780ti released.
 
Why not? They've done it before with 780Ti which was faster gaming wise than the $3000 Titan Black. This time at least we know it's inferior, half RAM and less cores. I don't understand why people are skeptical even though Nvidia has done this time and again in the past. The reason why is because AMD is releasing a cheaper, Titan-level card. If not for AMD, there would not be a 980Ti.
$3000 Titan Black? You are off by $2000 bucks there...

And the Titan Black and 780 Ti are basically identical in gaming performance.
 
From what I heard from system builders is that they sold very well for workstation pcs. 1k is still a lot less than a high end quattro.

The throttling issues were more due to the tpd being set so low. Quick fix with a bios mod. I owned one that throttled really badly. You'll probably see my posts in the early nvidia forum thread, wasn't happy about it.

Could just be that tmsc has improved which is why you don't hear about that with GTX780 and 780ti. Wouldn't be surprised. People are also claiming that later 290x will clock better than the early models.

Still it wasn't gamers driving later titan sales from what I hear.

FYI, you didn't need to disable gpuboost. You just needed a quick bios edit to up the power limit a bit. Did it on my card and it overclocked as well as my 780s which aren't power limit limited. I had one of the worst offenders too.

You are right, GTX780 went on sale 5 months after Titan. Still wasn't faster though. I wouldn't expect that unless AMD twists their arm. Like they did with 290x. Only after that did we see 780 drop in price and 780ti released.

OG titan released 2/21/13, the gtx 780 released 5/23/13. And yes gpu boost 2.0 is disabled with a bios mod
 
OG titan released 2/21/13, the gtx 780 released 5/23/13. And yes gpu boost 2.0 is disabled with a bios mod

I didn't realize I've owned my 3 6GB Titans for over 2 years already. Seems less. Amazing thing is they're still going for close to $900-$1k on ebay used.
 
I want to see a 980 Ti OC'd vs a Titan X OC'd. I would buy a Titan X if it has a decent lead in this.
 
I want to see a 980 Ti OC'd vs a Titan X OC'd. I would buy a Titan X if it has a decent lead in this.

I'm not sure it necessarily would, the 980 Ti's will be rocking custom cooling in a lot of cases with different tweaked PCB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see it potentially outpacing the Titan in some instances even with a minor shader deficit.
 
I want to see a 980 Ti OC'd vs a Titan X OC'd. I would buy a Titan X if it has a decent lead in this.


It wont. Linus and a few other sites already benchmarked the Titan X showing very little actual VRAM usage past 6GB (hence little performance gain there), and previously the 780 has shown us that a few hundred CUDA cores matter not.

Chances are the higher clocks are going to easily match the Titan X at stock and OC just about roughly the same with the slight lead going to the Titan X as we've seen in the 780 vs Titan scenario.
 
I didn't realize I've owned my 3 6GB Titans for over 2 years already. Seems less. Amazing thing is they're still going for close to $900-$1k on ebay used.

Yes but I highly doubt anyone is going to purchase old Titans at anywhere near that price and if they did they would have to be incredibly mad.

I'm not sure it necessarily would, the 980 Ti's will be rocking custom cooling in a lot of cases with different tweaked PCB's. I wouldn't be surprised to see it potentially outpacing the Titan in some instances even with a minor shader deficit.

Yes but Im curious in getting the EVGA 980 Hybrid cooler and using it on a Titan X then giving it a good OC like alot of people have done on the EVGA forums.
 
Yes but I highly doubt anyone is going to purchase old Titans at anywhere near that price and if they did they would have to be incredibly mad.



Yes but Im curious in getting the EVGA 980 Hybrid cooler and using it on a Titan X then giving it a good OC like alot of people have done on the EVGA forums.

Hybrid works great. Got that on my titan-x. Without a modded bios though you can only get ~200mhz more out of the core before hitting the power limit of 110% and throttling. Still 20% isn't bad w/o any mods. Cooler + backplate makes the titan-x $1130 though, but I'm sure custom cooled 980ti's aren't going to be entry level priced either. Just look at the 980s. They range from 550-700+.

980ti vs titan-x is all speculation though until official benchmarks. The ones leaked aren't even on the same config. That's worthless IMO. Regardless of the outcome, I will have no regrets. Best case is it's as fast as the titan-x clock for clock. Given that it's not been announced yet, I'm sure there it will be low stock for a couple months and they'll gouge on pricing. Few hundred bucks to have something now and with more Vram isn't a big deal to me at least. To each there own though.
 
They are even allowing custom AIB cooling on the Titan X now. All of a sudden I am more interested in Titan X than the 980 Ti.
 
I didn't realize I've owned my 3 6GB Titans for over 2 years already. Seems less. Amazing thing is they're still going for close to $900-$1k on ebay used.

They aren't? At least not on eBay US. The OG Titans are going for more like $400-550 which is still pretty decent.
 
so for SLI should I go reference cooler with the 980ti or some aftermarket one ?
 
so for SLI should I go reference cooler with the 980ti or some aftermarket one ?

Use a reference cooler for sli.

The aftermarket coolers are awful for multi-gpu unless you find a way to force air inbetween the cards which isn't easy or have a tri-sli board to space the cards out while still having room at the bottom of your case.

You'll also need more airflow in your case.

It can work but they tend to be louder ime.
 
Use a reference cooler for sli.

The aftermarket coolers are awful for multi-gpu unless you find a way to force air inbetween the cards which isn't easy or have a tri-sli board to space the cards out while still having room at the bottom of your case.

You'll also need more airflow in your case.

It can work but they tend to be louder ime.

yeah.. was wondering that, also it should run a bit cooler than the titan x with less ram etc..
 
Yup - ref for SLi - otherwise you're sucking air off the back of the hottest part of the card - can be a 15 degree diff between cards.
 
If you put a piece of cardboard over the pci slot where you would normally put your second card you can watch temps slowly rise.
 
Just to provide feedback. I run two GTX 980 ACX 2.0 cards in SLI with backplates. This is in an Air540 with an MSI X99 board (two slots between cards). Temperature difference between the cards at full load is 3 degrees celcius.
 
so for SLI should I go reference cooler with the 980ti or some aftermarket one ?

Really depends on your case and your card setup. If there is a gap where you can put your hand, you should be fine. If there isnt a gap, say you can fit only something as thin as a piece of paper there...then the top card will probably get ~10-15 degrees higher and this also depends on your airflow in the case.

With the gap, you should be fine... i mean you can always remove that side panel!
 
Yup - ref for SLi - otherwise you're sucking air off the back of the hottest part of the card - can be a 15 degree diff between cards.

I use 2x MSI Gaming GTX 980s and the hottest card is 76 °C @ load, and the other is 2-6 °C less.
 
Speaking from experience?

If you are talking to me, yep. Sli since.. 8600gts/gtx 280/560 ti tf2/ 670 wf3/780 class/titans/
/780ti class....


Like i mentioned...depends on case and spacing

The last temps i remember well were the 670 wf3 sli on my x79 sabertooth. About 5-10 degree difference and that was in my rv02 case.
 
Last edited:
I think it would also depend on how the coolers perform. I've been fine using custom coolers in SLI, temp difference is maybe 5-8 degrees. Side fan on case helps a lot even if it's barely running.

How do the reference coolers fare when it comes to overclocking and noise? After a BIOS mod my heavily overclocked Gigabyte 970s (WF3 cooler) are inaudible at idle and can't be heard over CPU fan on load. Not loud at all.
 
Hoping EVGA makes the 980 Ti SC ACX 2.0 w/ Back Plate available for Step Up.

It is $50 more than I was hoping for but I'll still go for it.
 
So now that 980TI is $800, Titan kinda of sort of looks like a better card for $200 more now doesnt it? Ungimped core and 6GB more RAM on the Titan for $200 more.

If someone can afford an $800 card, they can surely afford a $1000 card.
 
So now that 980TI is $800, Titan kinda of sort of looks like a better card for $200 more now doesnt it? Ungimped core and 6GB more RAM on the Titan for $200 more.

If someone can afford an $800 card, they can surely afford a $1000 card.

I think Nvidia are purposly doing this to force more people to consider the Titan X. I mean I am just waiting for Fiji XT first then will decide which GPU to buy. But if it is from Nvidia I will definatly get the Titan X over the 980 Ti unless they had the same gaming 4K benchmarks.
 
So now that 980TI is $800, Titan kinda of sort of looks like a better card for $200 more now doesnt it? Ungimped core and 6GB more RAM on the Titan for $200 more.

If someone can afford an $800 card, they can surely afford a $1000 card.

And, that pretty much sums it up.
 
I wouldn't take anything wccftech says as truth. They've been wrong on so many things throughout the years.

Edit: Hell, the article now has an update saying it could be $649 with two games.
 
Doesn't eVGA only off reference for step ups?

They have in the past put up reference cards at launch. They can do whatever they want though. So I'll remain hopeful.

If they only have reference cards for step up I will probably sell my 980s and then buy the Ti cards with the coolers I really want. Since the 980 Ti is as pricey as it is it probably won't hurt the 980 resale value as much as I expected.
 
A lot of us are going SLi, which makes the 980ti / Titan X spread a lot more. At $649 it was a $700 cheaper option for the 980tis. $400 spread with the ti being $799? Yeah, the Titan X makes more sense, but honestly, now I'm thinking Pascal if the $799 rumor ends up being true.
 
Back
Top