• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

980 Ti @ $599?

Just like Pearl Harbor and 9/11, people will eventually forget.
3 years from now, who will even care anymore? As long as it's not an ongoing issue. The lying, I mean.

I do not know what world you live in, but can I get a ticket to fantasyland?
 
GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-GPU-Z-specifications.png


For all those who was hoping for a 5.5+.5G, sorry to disappoint you. Its reported at 96 ROPS, and texture fill rate beats the Titan X. In other news, 390X reported to be a rebranded 290x.
 
GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-GPU-Z-specifications.png


For all those who was hoping for a 5.5+.5G, sorry to disappoint you. Its reported at 96 ROPS, and texture fill rate beats the Titan X. In other news, 390X reported to be a rebranded 290x.

How can the 980 Ti beat the TITAN X' texture fill rate with less (or even same) TMUs and same clock? Seems fake.
 
How can the 980 Ti beat the TITAN X' texture fill rate with less (or even same) TMUs and same clock? Seems fake.

The benchmark says it matches the Titan X. You can therefore conclude (a) it's a conspiracy and the entire Internet is in some elaborate hoax, or (b) Nvidia added something to the card or (c) this may not be the binned GM200-400 everyone is expecting.

I can't imagine a $599 (or more) card is going to have 5.5GB+.5. If that were the case, they could just advertise it as a 5GB to avoid the bad news and people will still buy it. This is competing with the 390X HBM, after all. They already won the PR battle with 5GB and most likely a faster speed if the rumors are true that 390X HBM is as fast as a Titan X. Unlike the Titan X, this will have custom cooling on release, so it most likely be faster than the Titan X, as most cards sold will be overclocked variant.
 
The benchmark says it matches the Titan X. You can therefore conclude (a) it's a conspiracy and the entire Internet is in some elaborate hoax, or (b) Nvidia added something to the card or (c) this may not be the binned GM200-400 everyone is expecting.

Please stop. GPU-Z is not a benchmark.
 
Please stop. GPU-Z is not a benchmark.

Please stop. You're annoying.
Edit: I get it now, You're a Titan X owner. Carry on.

It's amazing that Titan X owners want so bad for 980Ti to be a failure. You got to enjoy your toy for 3 months. Just be happy with what you got.

IGS1RQO.png
 
I doubt any TX owners will be too upset about this, since most of them are smart enough to see this coming a mile away.
 

Look kid, we're glad you're excited about the 980 Ti, but throwing around insults isn't going to win you friends. Rock what you got, but no need to trash talk something just because it isn't in your small budget.
 
Look kid, we're glad you're excited about the 980 Ti, but throwing around insults isn't going to win you friends. Rock what you got, but no need to trash talk something just because it isn't in your small budget.

You really should take your own advice. You got me, I'm a kid and I'm poor. I hope that makes you feel better now.
 
To be fair if I was running a low res monitor paid full retail or more $ for titan x and saw 980 ti faster or equal to titan x I would also be upset that I didn't wait. However after my experience with 970 sli with various games that sometimes reached vram cap and then seeing titan x running over 6 gb in certain games at 3440X1440 and seeing that 970 sli was still getting good average fps but feeling stutters and hitches then going to titan x using more than 6 gb and being buttery smooth. Yea I start preaching that vram matters. Unless sli is just that bad (one of the reasons I haven't jumped on a second titan x) and I'm overly sensitive to this microstutter but honestly I can't imagine anyone not noticing it.
 
You really should take your own advice. You got me, I'm a kid and I'm poor. I hope that makes you feel better now.

Seriously, what exactly is your problem? Do you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing? I literally just bought a Titan X and should the rumors (and, that is what they are at this point) pan out I will be promptly returning it. I am happy that Nvidia, AMD, Intel, ect... are making advances - even if that makes my current whatever outdated.

As my daughter would say...

 
GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-GPU-Z-specifications.png


For all those who was hoping for a 5.5+.5G, sorry to disappoint you. Its reported at 96 ROPS, and texture fill rate beats the Titan X. In other news, 390X reported to be a rebranded 290x.

You realize that at first GPU-Z reported that the 970 GTX didn't have any disabled ROPS.

So I would take that GPU-Z shot with a grain of salt.

Testing is the only REAL way to find out.
 
Seriously, what exactly is your problem? Do you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing? I literally just bought a Titan X and should the rumors (and, that is what they are at this point) pan out I will be promptly returning it. I am happy that Nvidia, AMD, Intel, ect... are making advances - even if that makes my current whatever outdated.

As my daughter would say...

Tell me how I'm argumentative. All I did was post "news" or "rumors" whatever you prefer about the 980TI to a thread titled 980Ti. All I get is "nope," "you're wrong", it's "5.5GB", etc. People are being dismissive. Most of it is coming from TItan X owner, and I'm not directing it at you, but the collective folks who responded negatively. People got defense, attacked my "opinion." Opinions are not outlawed right?

I thought this thread is the one for 980Ti. I am getting tons of negative responses as if I just killed somebody's dog. 980Ti as fast as the Titan X is a bad thing now? It's as if the 980Ti being as fast somehow invalidate people's purchase of the Titan X.

Go back through the thread. I am being positive about the 980Ti, but instead, I get tons of negative feedback on why it's a gimped card with 5.5GB. If I'm in the "let's trash the 980Ti" thread instead of the "let's hope it's an awesome card" thread, then let me know right now and I'll leave.
 
People tend to get defensive really quick on the internet - guilty myself a time or two. :eek:

Honestly, I hope the damn thing is as fast as a Titan X! They can call it the Consumer FTW Edition. I am still doubtful that Nvidia would kneecap their top card with a cheaper replacement but WHT do I know... Hope I am wrong. I can go SLI for almost the same cost of a single TX. :D
 
I am really waiting for AMD to deploy the 390, but after reading this news about the ti.... ARGHHH
 
I am really waiting for AMD to deploy the 390, but after reading this news about the ti.... ARGHHH

Yea I dont see the 390/390x being hawaii as a good thing at all. The ONLY that that could make it....interesting, if they used a different FAB for Hawaii to lower the power usage. Nvidia did it with the 780's back in the day. They had a 1ghz edition 780, and even some 780 MSI lightnings had the new chip (one of my 780 MSI lightnings did)

Other then that, yea its 980ti > 390/390x. Lets hope it has that $599 price the leaks are showing :)
 
Yea I dont see the 390/390x being hawaii as a good thing at all. The ONLY that that could make it....interesting, if they used a different FAB for Hawaii to lower the power usage. Nvidia did it with the 780's back in the day. They had a 1ghz edition 780, and even some 780 MSI lightnings had the new chip (one of my 780 MSI lightnings did)

Other then that, yea its 980ti > 390/390x. Lets hope it has that $599 price the leaks are showing :)
Well I've got good news for you.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/industry/78757-amd-switching-28nm-process-globalfoundries-2015/
The main process node for these products will now be Global Foundries' 28nm SHP, rather than TSMC 28nm, but the potential for products based on smaller process nodes, such as 20nm, is yet to be ruled out.
 
Yea I knew about that, but is it good enough to keep power down and keep it competitive with Nvidia's 980? No idea.
The stock 390X clock is something like 1050 MHz, that doesn't even come close to a 980. How hard do you have to push a 290X to reach 980 perf? And that's ignoring the 970/980's overclockability too.

Seeing as how I'm not an idiot, when AMD tells me "The new 290X rebrand matches the GTX 980" it sets off several red flags.
 
The stock 390X clock is something like 1050 MHz, that doesn't even come close to a 980. How hard do you have to push a 290X to reach 980 perf? And that's ignoring the 970/980's overclockability too.

Seeing as how I'm not an idiot, when AMD tells me "The new 290X rebrand matches the GTX 980" it sets off several red flags.

I so want to discuss with ya, but its totally offtopic for this thread LOL.

Ill go to the 390x thread now.
 
NO!!! I had to listen to that ALL weekend long!

You mean it wasn't....the first time in forever? :p

Either way the 980ti being slightly slower than a Titan X with half the ram has been what was expected. The 390x being a rebrand is new but may be inline with AMD marketing.

What we should all be focusing on is that the Steam Summer Sale will be here soon. :cool:
 
Yea I knew about that, but is it good enough to keep power down and keep it competitive with Nvidia's 980? No idea.

I am personally not interested in a Hawaii refresh but it could be competitive if Hawaii switches to GCN 1.2 along with the foundry change which could actually allow it to catch up to the 980.
 
Tell me how I'm argumentative. All I did was post "news" or "rumors" whatever you prefer about the 980TI to a thread titled 980Ti. All I get is "nope," "you're wrong", it's "5.5GB", etc. People are being dismissive. Most of it is coming from TItan X owner, and I'm not directing it at you, but the collective folks who responded negatively. People got defense, attacked my "opinion." Opinions are not outlawed right?

I thought this thread is the one for 980Ti. I am getting tons of negative responses as if I just killed somebody's dog. 980Ti as fast as the Titan X is a bad thing now? It's as if the 980Ti being as fast somehow invalidate people's purchase of the Titan X.

Go back through the thread. I am being positive about the 980Ti, but instead, I get tons of negative feedback on why it's a gimped card with 5.5GB. If I'm in the "let's trash the 980Ti" thread instead of the "let's hope it's an awesome card" thread, then let me know right now and I'll leave.

Lol lot of salty TitanX owners in this thread for some reason.


Arent the official reviews/benchmarks for the 980TI supposed to be out this week?
 
I think at stock clocks the 980TI won't be as fast as the Titan X. I do think once we start seeing custom cards (Lightning, Kingpin...), those 980TI's will overtake the Titan X. But how much are those custom cards going to cost? $900? Still think at the end of the day a watercooled Titan X will be king of the hill.


I bought my first Titan X in March. I paid a premium for 3 months of awesome performance. Do I regret it now that the 980TI is about to be released? No, not one bit.


I've always said: Buy what's available when you are ready to buy. Waiting 2-3 months for the next best thing = never going to upgrade.
 
No way are they going to release a $700 gpu that matches Titan x 3 or even 4 months afterwards. Like 780 they may end up clocking similarly but they can't let reviews show that. Seriously makes me question the rumors.
 
No way are they going to release a $700 gpu that matches Titan x 3 or even 4 months afterwards. Like 780 they may end up clocking similarly but they can't let reviews show that. Seriously makes me question the rumors.

Why not? They've done it before with 780Ti which was faster gaming wise than the $3000 Titan Black. This time at least we know it's inferior, half RAM and less cores. I don't understand why people are skeptical even though Nvidia has done this time and again in the past. The reason why is because AMD is releasing a cheaper, Titan-level card. If not for AMD, there would not be a 980Ti.
 
Why not? They've done it before with 780Ti which was faster gaming wise than the $3000 Titan Black. This time at least we know it's inferior, half RAM and less cores. I don't understand why people are skeptical even though Nvidia has done this time and again in the past. The reason why is because AMD is releasing a cheaper, Titan-level card. If not for AMD, there would not be a 980Ti.

That was at least 6 months later after amd had twisted their arm. They aren't going to do it for no reason. Not if they can't keep titan x on the shelves as is.

This sounds like a cut down version for those who are on the fence, just like GTX780.

You've got to remember that Titan and especially titan black had great dp performance. Thats what sold Titan black.
 
If not for AMD, there would not be a 980Ti.

Not exactly. There would not be a 980Ti now.
Once nVIDIA has mostly finished milking the market with its grossly overpriced Titan X, it would have come up with a slightly slower alternative to milk a different bracket of the market.
 
No way are they going to release a $700 gpu that matches Titan x 3 or even 4 months afterwards. Like 780 they may end up clocking similarly but they can't let reviews show that. Seriously makes me question the rumors.

They literally did exactly just that last titan cycle release. The 780 released 3 mo later within 5-10% (half vram, slightly less cores, no dp) of the titan and could overclock to match/beat a stock one for $650. The og titan had throttling issues and couldn't overclock so well without disabling gpu boost 2.0. The 290x released at $550 and forced a 780 price cut to $500 and they released the 780 ti and later 780 6gb ($550) and titan black ($1k).

If the previous titan cards sold so well at $1k because of it's DP, then what justifies the $1k price tag now? I said it months ago and I'll say it again just like previous titan for gaming, the titan x will be a 1k card for basically 4gb of extra vram.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top