8800 temps

larkin said:
question for someone who knwos about gpu overclocking:

theoretical question
if my 650/2000 in unstable, how do I get it stable and why are some other people stable at that speed and higher with similar cooling?

Let me try to answer my own question and see if i'm right, other cards are stable at that oc and higher because they got lucky, whatever it means to have a lucky chip, they have it (for my benefit i'd like to know exactly what it means to be lucky technically speaking about the hardware difference). How do I make my card stable at 650/2000? Well, xtreme overclockers have shown that these cards have a lot of head room, the limiting factor is temps. So, if you want your card to be stable at a higher OC then figure out a way to keep the temps lower. This could mean mods to the gpu cooling, going water, or simply cooling down other components in the case warming things up.

Missing anything?

First off, check this out: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124472

pretty cool, eh? I was wondering about that.. those stream processors have a frequency also.. and they're doing a ton of work.. so getting those OC'd would yield good performance I would imagine

Anyways, some cards are just better OCers than others, but getting your temps down almost always helps a good stable OC... the fav of extreme OCers seems to be cooling the gpu only with water/chilled water, or in some cases phase change or ln (whatever your extreme cooling poison of choice is) then leave the memory and mosfets to be air cooled..(with sinks or sometimes without). . . but full face blocks seem to be doing very well also now days.. EKwaterblocks.com makes a nice one. :) he'll have an 8800 block soon also. Using TEC cooling is starting to pick up again.. I'll be interested to see what new pelt cooling setups come out for the 8800.. Anyways, other than extreme cooling, vmods can be done to help your OC.. peeps over at XS are already vmodding their 8800GTS cards.. there's one for vgpu and vmem, just like the other cards.. sometimes a little extra voltage can help your OC quite a bit, but you HAVE to have good cooling.. water or better would should be used there. Especially for these hot ass cards. Vmodding is risky.. it's fun, and you can get a lot of performance from it, but you can fry your card also.. anyways..

personally I am going to put my card on a full face EK block and hope for the best OC without vmodding I can get... these cards are already powerful enough and risking it for 30 more mhz on the core doesn't seem worth it imo... I'll go SLI when I need more power. :)

Jodiuh said:
Lower temps will net you higher OC, but luck of the draw's far more influential. I still haven't installed the blower, how's the Cyclone @ 7V Brian? (that's what I got too)

That rosewill @ newegg in blue looks prettier/quieter. :D

I'm satisfied with it. Overall, temps went up about 2-3C for idle and load, but the difference in noise is quite noticable.

OK tried taping over the slits near the end of the card, thereby forcing much more of the air out the bracket holes. Definately not a good idea:

Stock cooler with slits open: 64C idle, 85C load
Stock cooler with slits taped over: 69C idle, 89C load

This is with a room temp of about 74 degrees Farenheit

:eek:

Looks like the ghetto duct or exhaust blower is the way to go!

Blue Falcon said:
OK tried taping over the slits near the end of the card, thereby forcing much more of the air out the bracket holes. Definately not a good idea:

Stock cooler with slits open: 64C idle, 85C load
Stock cooler with slits taped over: 69C idle, 89C load

This is with a room temp of about 74 degrees Farenheit

:eek:

Looks like the ghetto duct or exhaust blower is the way to go!

Thanks for letting us know this. Finally someone tried this out and got us an answer. I knew those slits must have been there for a point and not for decoration.

cantankerous said:
Thanks for letting us know this. Finally someone tried this out and got us an answer. I knew those slits must have been there for a point and not for decoration.
Yeah, now I'm wondering if it would help to cut out some of the strips between the slits, leaving larger breathing holes?

I'm not going to butcher mine to find out though, ;) I'm happy with the cardboard vent and faster fan solution.

FORNOWAGAIN said:
I find a $5 slot fan works a treat. The air blowing out now is red hot when the card's loaded. Idles at 52C, load 70C ish. Case temp is the same as ambient.

dscf0922lr9.jpg

I take it that the slot fan sucks in air from the GTX and blows it out the back of the case? Sorry, i've never used a slot fan before. I finally resolved my cpu heat issues and my overall case heat has dropped bigtime. My GTX now idles at about 65C which is a big improvement from the mid 70s i was seeing before. If i can drop the temps down into the 50s i can go back to OCing it.

This isn't going to be very specific but I can report the following:

I accidentally picked up an INTAKE slot fan from best buy. When placed bellow the GTX it raises temps by a degree or two. Leaving that slot open vs. having it closed decreased temps by a degree or two.

yepp... that's all I have to say.

Welll i finally got a chance to do a little testing of my eva 8800 gts at stock. I will also do some testing after OC.

I got just about the same results from rthrbitl after 1 hour, or gaming COH for 1 hour, temp within 1C usually.

Stock - 55-60 idle, 80-85C under load.

Fan at 85%(pretty much where i still cant hear it, after that it gets loud)

idle - 47-50C, 58-62C under load.

Fan at 100%(way too loud for me, but im a trooper, and i tested anyway!)

ide 43-45C, 52-55C under load.
I installed 2 S-flex F series 120MM fans in my window to have them blow room air right down on the VC, with the plastic outer shell off (like officermartinez did).

DSCN0466.jpg

And it didn't change my temps much.

With the GPU fan set at 70%(where i cant hear it) and my 120's set at 7 volts...

I got 47C at idle and 55-57C under load.

and at 12V for the 120's i got 44C idle, and 52-53C under load.

What i like about having the 120's doing my cooling is this.

1. Quieter than the GPU fan doing all the work.
2. Manual control, i now control my GPU with a pot on my fan controller, so I dont need to use software to manually change the GPU fan speed, so in game, i can just put the fan where i want it at any time.
3. Those 120's are having a GREAT effect for my Zalman 9700! At idle since i have installed those fans, my System temp is around 27-28C, and So is my CPU!!! Before the fan install, there usually was a 3-4C difference. Under prime95 load, the CPU was running consistantly 36-38C, with the 120's now, its 32-33C, after 10 hours of prime, my CPU is at 32C, and my system temp is 28C. Thanks impressive,and i wasn't expecting that added bonus!

KENNYB said:
I take it that the slot fan sucks in air from the GTX and blows it out the back of the case? Sorry, i've never used a slot fan before. I finally resolved my cpu heat issues and my overall case heat has dropped bigtime. My GTX now idles at about 65C which is a big improvement from the mid 70s i was seeing before. If i can drop the temps down into the 50s i can go back to OCing it.

Yes... but make sure you get a real "blower" fan, not an intake like what Larkin got.. there are two types.. I think the intake flavor is less common tho.. but anyways..the blower sucks air in from the open hole on the top and expels it out the back of the case... slot blowers really do a great job supplimenting the 8800's cooling.. lots of heat seems to pool up right where those vents are.. that must be the apex of the thermal travel for the heat pipes..

So comparing the single slot to the double slot Antec Cyclone coolers, it seems the double can be quieter and blow more air. My problems a lack of pci slots. I've got...

free
light control module
2 x usb port bracket
x-fi
-----------

I'd have to lose either the usb or the light controller. Perhaps I could combine them? Any ideas?

Just an update to my temps...

I put the plastic shield back on the VC, just to see if it made a difference with my 120's installed. And it made a pretty big difference. My 120's must of not been blowing on the VC's heatsink well, but the must be getting some good air to the GPU fan, which is properly cooling the heatsink...

Updated 1 hour tests of running COH (same as I was doing in the previous post)

GPU at 80%, 120's at 7 Volts = Idle 42-43C and load 49-51C

GPU at 80%, 120's at 12 Volts = Idle of 40-41C ad load of 47-49C

GPU at 100%, 120's at 12 volts = Idle of 36-37C, and load of 45-47C.

System temp ranged from 26-28C.

I am very pleased with these results, compared to what i was starting with, that awful 80-85C under load when i 1st got the card.

Tnx, for all the good posts. I was able to drop my 8800 GTX idle temp from 65C to 54C. Picked up a Thermaltake exhaust fan and installed Rivatuner which will keep fan settings at roboot and set my GPU fan at 90% (hardly any noise increase).

Does Riva keep OC settings too? Run @ startup, bump OC/Fan, then close?

Yes it keeps it. It doesn't even open as far as i can tell, once you set it, it stays that way, and you never have to open it again, the settings stick, even after reboot.

Works great for the OC and fan control.

I find a $5 slot fan works a treat. The air blowing out now is red hot when the card's loaded. Idles at 52C, load 70C ish. Case temp is the same as ambient.

dscf0922lr9.jpg

So how is this working out for you now that it's been a few weeks?

I just bought a Enermax PCI slot blower on Newegg expressly for this purpose and it should be here Wednesday.

This is qouted from Nvidia Forums, it's an email to a user that was also concernd about the high temps of his 8800gtx,

"finally got in touch with BFG yesterday and got the official response:

",

Yes, this is normal and actually pretty good. Most of the test we have done
here have been with the card running at 90 degrees under load. I believe that
the Nnvidia alarm is set to go off somewhere around 130 degrees. The card can
definitely handle the heat as long as your case/CPU have enough air moving
around as well.

Thank you,
BFG Support"

If BFG have been running the card @ 90c then thats good enough for me :).

see i got 2 diffferent answers from BFG .. one was the card melts at 125C
and anything over 80C is bad

then from another bfg tech .. he said as long as u dont go above 90c ur ok

My card used to idle at 76c :eek:

I used Rivatuner to set the fan to run at 85% and now it idles at 60C. My load temps are 80C

Just got a 8800gts, 50-55c idle, 60c load during Sin Emergence, 70c load F.E.A.R. Combat, all at 1680x1050 max settings with 2 or 4 AA. I do have a PCI TT Exhaust right underneath, usually running at 7v (Fan Controller).

Very impressed by the speed and heat noise levels so far. About on par with my x1800xt with the Accelero.

my card befor using rivatuner
idel 56C load 80C

after usomg rivatuner to set fan at 80%
idel 55C load 72C

660380865ky.jpg

473123667xv.jpg

669741648sd.jpg

311312997zg.jpg

713536612wt.jpg

779347965ot.jpg

633455052ja.jpg

I leave my fan set to 60% until the temp starts rising, using Rivatuner to set the increments. So I idle at 65c or so with the house heater on (it's cold here) and the card overclocked, when under max load it can hit 78c to 80c. Not bad and the fan still has not gone over 80%.

you can use rivatuner to have the fan auto increment up if a certain temp is reached?

i've only used the nvidia control pannel to set the fan to 100%

you can use rivatuner to have the fan auto increment up if a certain temp is reached?

i've only used the nvidia control pannel to set the fan to 100%

You sure can, it is not a real intuitive task, but not that hard. There are a couple guides on it over at the guru3d site and at rivatuners home site....I can get you a link to it when I get home if ya want, drop me a PM, it's really nifty and a great little add on.

Just installed it into new rig and as I sit here in 70 degree PC room it is 58C/136.4 and doesn't budge. Haven't had a chance to get gaming temps. My motherboard temp is 93F with all my case fans set to lowest setting and cpu fan is 3200rpm. Whisper quiet amazing temps all around. Amazing and I couldn't be more pleased with my new rig.

Great thread! Following some of your guys advice I was able to bring my temps from 74C at idle to 48C. :) I upped my fan speed using Ntune to 85% and also installed a Thermaltake exhaust fan below my GTX. Load temps running Realtime HDRI now peak at 70C, 4 degrees less than my old idle temps! Plus, my case temps have gone down, lowering my CPU temps by a couple of degrees. Win win scenario.

Very happy now.

Just wanted to report that, for me, in order to maintain a clock of 644/1000 temps need to be bellow 68. When they are getting close to 70 is when i get freezes although i haven't gotten a freeze since installing the fan and turning the gpu fan on. Although i am tending to keep it at stock clocks, it didnt load the overclock profile once and i hardly noticed, in fact i think IQ was better without the OC.

Thanks Rap.

I stuck the Rosewill in there and cranked it down below the noise floor from the case. 3C less @ load. It's gotta be spinning around 1000RPM or less. I wonder if it's too close to the GPU. Perhaps lowering it down would allow it to pull more air in? Or maybe I'll ditch the light controller and grab the big Antec Cyclone. :D

Not too bad. I have it lowered down past the Scythes, but it's brought down the temp of my 8800 wo/ introducing noise. :D

On my GTS, the stock fan, with higher rpm settings set by Rivatuner, does fine to bring temps under control; it seems to me that the overclocking walls people are hitting around 650 - 690 are not temp related, but just the limit of the processor (all things being equal AND air cooling).

Not too bad. I have it lowered down past the Scythes, but it's brought down the temp of my 8800 wo/ introducing noise. :D

thanks good to know. i was initially going for the Antec Super Cyclone, but after reading some of the comments, now i'm looking forward to the Rosswill. :D

Well I picked up the Antec single slot cyclone. A preemptive measure as I dont have my 8800GTS yet. Both will be here monday.

But I figured between the cyclone, and the dual 120mm yate loons pushing air across the vid card in my P180 hopefully it will stay within reasonable temperatures.

Ill be sure to report back and see how she runs.

At Superclocked stock (575/850), I'm idling at 70 and hit 80 after 30 minutes of F.E.A.R.

Maybe my Sonata II's extra airduct is restricting airflow?

need some advice on this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...nForce+590+SLI+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail
(select the overhead view)
thats my mobo, i have my 8800 GTS sitting in the top PCI-E Slot so, i have an empty pci-e inbetween that and my first open pci. if i get a slot cooler like the ones mentioned in this thread would i be better off moving my 8800 GTS down to the 2nd pci-e slot so its closer to my pci? also if i run this sli which i intend to do a few months down the line to i can get the gateway 24" lcd my top card wont benefit from a slot cooler? any advice would be great!!

i just downloaded ntune and im idling at 50 c with fans at 100% havent tried with load yet cause ive been reading this thread while i downloaded and looked through ntune a little. My case seems to have very good air flow, my core 2 e6600 is idling right now at core #0 29 c, and core #1 25 c, and from what ive seen thats pretty low temps on an e6600. am i right about that?

Idle around 53C with my EVGA 8800GTX.

With LOAD...how can I see my load temp. say within 3Dmark.
Maybe a stupid question :p

Remember that program RIBLE or RTHL...stress test, with those flying balls :D

Must be my age..48 :)

Hans.

need some advice on this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...nForce+590+SLI+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail
(select the overhead view)
thats my mobo, i have my 8800 GTS sitting in the top PCI-E Slot so, i have an empty pci-e inbetween that and my first open pci. if i get a slot cooler like the ones mentioned in this thread would i be better off moving my 8800 GTS down to the 2nd pci-e slot so its closer to my pci? also if i run this sli which i intend to do a few months down the line to i can get the gateway 24" lcd my top card wont benefit from a slot cooler? any advice would be great!!

i just downloaded ntune and im idling at 50 c with fans at 100% havent tried with load yet cause ive been reading this thread while i downloaded and looked through ntune a little. My case seems to have very good air flow, my core 2 e6600 is idling right now at core #0 29 c, and core #1 25 c, and from what ive seen thats pretty low temps on an e6600. am i right about that?

The location shouldnt matter that much. The slot coolers dont tie in to the motherboard, so no matter what slot its in, it should be fine.

Back