3dfx Voodoo 590

7 Gig of DDR 5?

I'm failing to see how it's funny ripping into an old company they own, that made one the best cards I ever owned, the Voodoo Banshee, nVidia would be up a creek if it wasn't for 3DFX's patents and designs at the time they were bought.

:eek:

Voodoo Banshee..... /starts singing "Nothing more then Memories"....

Oh man, I remember buying the "Voodoo Rush" card.... lmao... that thing sucked, it wasn't until I ditched that system, and put a Voodoo Banshee into the next one that I really discovered 3dfx could make some good cards. That was so long ago....

I have to laugh, so many people here, myself included were just made sad by this and miss 3dfx then start reminiscing about our old 3dfx cards.

I loved my 4mb voodoo 1 and then later my voodoo 3500tv, they gave me so many hours of gaming fun.

This reads more like a kick in the stomach than an April Fools Day joke... 3dfx is sorely missed by myself, I don't know about anyone else.

It would be kinda cool if nVidia were to release a line of 3DFX branded cards. Could be their mainstream line or maybe an exclusive ultra high end line. They paid for it... may as well use it.

Running Tomb Raider and Quake for the first time on my Diamond Monster 3D is hands down my most memorable gaming experience.

3DFX for life!!

They tried and failed to be funny, ok big deal. Some of people take it way too personally. I've seen much worse April Fools jokes.

I encourage April 1 jokes even if they are a bit dry. At least they made the effort.

Pretty funny stuff, 3dfx lost the battle period, I too was a 3dfx fan but progress is progress, if anybody noticed the last line in the specs list, no t&l, shaders and other useless things, pretty well summed up their thinking at the time, like 300 mph car in primer.

SLI...CrossfireX? Pfft we'll show you all! 233 VSA-100 chips at 166MHz! That's right, 38.678GHz!!!

Actually you know, their final comments here are spot on.
I just found this april fools kinda strange.
I really miss 3dfx, and anything nVidia release will (for me) never leave the memory that the 3dfx Voodoo brand has

I agree with one of the previous posters that said they could use the marketing logos and really launch their next very highest end card as the nVidia 3dfx Voodoo 6000 or something, that would be pure win!

When asked why they built this card, the answer was unanimous.

"We did this for our fans," says Tarolli. "Even today, people speak of 3dfx with the fondest memories. People still send me emails with pictures of their Voodoo board collections. It's very touching."

"There's something magical about 3dfx," says Burke. "It was more than just a graphics card company. There was an aura, a myth around the company and its name."

"There has never been anything like it, and there never will be again."

Considering I was a big fan of Voodoo back in the day, I find this to be more insulting than it is a joke.

I think this straight-man style press release is pretty damn funny :D

3dfx was always about the multi-GPU cards, even when it made no sense at all.

Running Tomb Raider and Quake for the first time on my Diamond Monster 3D is hands down my most memorable gaming experience.

3DFX for life!!

Final Fantasy VII on Voodoo2 was mine. It was so gorgeous and fun I bought Final Fantasy VII in the Playstation Store in my PS3. But the PS3 and widescreen television really murdered the graphics :-(

What I wouldn't give for Final Fantasy VII in it's true GLide glory.

geesh.. I remember playing quake and tomb raider on my voodoo 1... and those gl plugins for winamp like a dancing coke can or a graphic eq that was a floating cube... good times. :)

Maybe they should use this energy to make a competitive product?
Just sayin'

DSCN1133.jpg

I miss my Slot 1 Xeon 550 w/ Voodoo Banshee 16MB :(

Effff yew nVidia.

And my Voodoo 3 3500 TV

Now THAT was a hell of a card!

Lol, Jesus Christ, you guys act like nVidia killed your family or something. I loved 3DFX as much as anymore but come on, really?

Lighten up, it's a a friggin' AFD joke. :rolleyes:

Nvidia: Please don't treat us like that. 3DFX was an amazing company!!!!

I really miss the old days with 3DFX. I figured that nVidia would use 3DFX at some point since it has a lot of name recognition, but it hasn't happened so far.

Makes me want to scrape together some old parts, and play doom on the old Canopus 3d voodoo1 I have sitting around here somewhere.

Lol, Jesus Christ, you guys act like nVidia killed your family or something. I loved 3DFX as much as anymore but come on, really?

Lighten up, it's a a friggin' AFD joke. :rolleyes:

Some of us are more passionate than others.

You clearly have no soul. :D

I was all in until...

But the Voodoo 590 is not entirely an ex-3dfx project. According to Tamasi, a few of the NVIDIA founders chipped in on the design. “To cool 233 chips, we borrowed heavily from the fan design for NV30. And scaled it accordingly too of course," he said with a wink.

fx5800.jpg

No.

I still have my Canopus Pure3D. Fond memories of GLQuake on that thing. I was a big fan of 3dFX but like many have said, they failed to deliver at the time when Nvidia was bringing out more innovative cards.

I remember back in the day when I use to always rock Matrox Video cards. I was rocking a Matrox Mystique 4MB (I think) when 3Dfx started taking off and a Pentium 200 CPU. I remember how important 2D was and Matrox were basically 2D kings at the time. I remember buying a Diamond 4MB Voodoo card and being amazed, I remember thinking no way graphics get any better when playing games like Turok, Quake II and Interstate 76. I remember a friend wanted a 3Dfx card so I sold him my Diamond and paid like $150 more to get a Canopus Pure3D because it had 6MB of RAM instead of 4MB. WOW.

I eventually upgraded to SLI 12MB cards in my main rig and was very happy for what seemed like a very long time. I know I moved into a pretty long trail of ATI AIW cards, starting with the AIW 128 and kept the Voodoo 2's around for a bit longer than I should have. I've been sporting ATI cards for a long time now. I know I once owned a Geforce 2 but can't remember if it was in my main rig or not. I'm pretty sure once I moved from 3Dfx for gaming I pretty much stuck with ATI. My current system is a 4870 in crossfire config and I plan on moving to a 6970 or 6990 in a couple of months. My Alienware m11x does have nvidia GT335m though.

Either way I don't like this, I was always mad that nvidia killed off 3dfx.

I would also like to add that this wasn't as bad as I first thought because it brought back a lot of memories. Like my system two upgrades prior to upgrading to a Pentium 200. It was an AMD DX-40 CPU with a western digital video card, quantum hard drive and an ATi sound card. ahh good times.

Back