3dfx Voodoo 590

I really miss the old days with 3DFX. I figured that nVidia would use 3DFX at some point since it has a lot of name recognition, but it hasn't happened so far.

By the time nvidia aquired 3dFX, its brand was better positioned.

I totally forgot this was april 1st, until I saw this. I believed it was real for about 10 seconds.

Nvidia: Please don't treat us like that. 3DFX was an amazing company!!!!

No kidding. I'd much rather have 3dFX around over nVidia. Way to do the equivalent of pissing on their grave, nVid.

sheesh...you guys need to chill... I think it's a rather appropriate Aprils fool joke, specially given the fact that if you read the damn thing it's from former 3Dfx employees that currently work at Nvidia. For the record I used to own a set of Voodoo 2's in SLI way back and used to love the company back in the day.

It's a shame they did not last. Would have been nice to see both 3DFX, and Matrox make it in the end. Can you all imagine how much further graphics tech would be if there were 4 gorillas beating it out over the top dog spot.

I would love to see nvidia put out a limited edition 3Dfx themed card. I would buy it. I know I'm not the only one ether.

bfast.jpg

I had a g400 max, or whatever the supped up one was called. For a good part of the time I had it Matrox was king of the 3D market, with Nvidia and ATI both in the back seat.

Then Matrox wimped out, couldn't keep up with either of the big boys in terms of getting new products to market and just gave up trying to even sell gaming cards.

I wonder if they are still doing OK in their 2d multi-monitor little niche?

I really liked the g400 it is kinda sad they didnt/couldnt stay competitive in the 3d market. I suspect we'd be seeing some better products from AMD/Nvidia if they had. Probably kept them from going the way of 3DFX though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrox_G400

first video card i ever bought was a voodoo 4500 agp, got home and realized my motherboard only had a pci slot, went back and bought the pci version.

good times, good memories, and wow.. i didnt know squat about computers back then, but i installed my first vid card with no computer experience, lol

ah i remember rocking sli quantum3d obsidian2 12MB Voodoo2s with an i740 for 2D was the shit back that

My god some people are wearing their Glide tinted glasses.

Why the love for 3dfx and hate for nvidia?

I owned a Voodoo 2 which I swapped to a TNT2. No more image degradation from a VGA pass through and 32bit colour support .

Nvidia also gave us HW T&L with the Geforce while 3dfx were insisting it was irrelevant as they focussed on post processing capabilities.

Oh and I hate April fools day with a passion. Funny people are funny all year round, unfunny people are still not funny even with a dedicated day of tom foolery.

Ok, well has anyone heard anything about ATI's response to fastest card in the world crap?

This seems like a weak distraction from that considering Nvidia cards were a joke before they acquired 3DFX. I actually had a Riva 128....

:cool:

I had a g400 max, or whatever the supped up one was called. For a good part of the time I had it Matrox was king of the 3D market, with Nvidia and ATI both in the back seat.

Then Matrox wimped out, couldn't keep up with either of the big boys in terms of getting new products to market and just gave up trying to even sell gaming cards.

I wonder if they are still doing OK in their 2d multi-monitor little niche?

I really liked the g400 it is kinda sad they didnt/couldnt stay competitive in the 3d market. I suspect we'd be seeing some better products from AMD/Nvidia if they had. Probably kept them from going the way of 3DFX though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrox_G400

The G400 was probably the best of the DX6 cards and Matrox always had the highest image quality thanks to their RAMDACS.

Unfortunately come the time of the Geforce 2 no other card was worth looking at if you wanted FPS. The Radeon held it's own in 32bit colour performance but if you wanted the king there was nothing other than the GF2 in town.

Ok, well has anyone heard anything about ATI's response to fastest card in the world crap?

This seems like a weak distraction from that considering Nvidia cards were a joke before they acquired 3DFX. I actually had a Riva 128....

The TNT and TNT2 were a joke?

Hey if 3Dfx were still going today they might just have migrated to 24bit colour and the PCI-e slots by now.

ITT people who didnt know what 3Dfx had in the wings when things went south
such a shame too had that card come out it wouldnt of been touched till the GF5 came out

ITT people who didnt know what 3Dfx had in the wings when things went south
such a shame too had that card come out it wouldnt of been touched till the GF5 came out

but it didn't come out so it's a moot point; it doesn't matter if they had the technology to make a card that was competitive against a radeon 6950 but it wouldn't matter if they couldn't bring it to market

I still have my old Voodoo3 2000 in a box somewheres. First card i ever had. Such good memories.

Lucky you. My first vid card was a Voodoo3. Knowing what I now, I wish I still had mine. Even if just for sentimental sake. :(

What would have been really cruel of NVDA was to advertise 3dfx Rampage cards...

Are you guys really weeping over this? 3dfx is a company, not your pet. Who cares about it? I think the joke isn't funny, but because its not funny, not because its poking fun at all my dead relatives.

Take the stick out of your asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

wondering how long it was going to take you to post :p

It was sorta cool they (nv) did it, have to give them some sort of credit.

Reading the thread here was kinda interesting, some people forget (or are to young to know) that adding an extra board V2 --> V2 SLI would really double performance in most cases.

Using VSA-100 chips in parallel also got around limitations in available ram.

Pity they did not get the product out the door sooner, killed 3dfx in the end. mostly.

I think nvidia could use the 3dfx name as their own brand to sell cards instead of having nvidia brand. They could at least use the brand on the Best cards like the 9800GX2, GTX 295, GTX590, and any higer clocked memory versions. Dunno just a thought.

Are you guys really weeping over this? 3dfx is a company, not your pet. Who cares about it? I think the joke isn't funny, but because its not funny, not because its poking fun at all my dead relatives.

Take the stick out of your asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, I'll complete your thought for you...

blah blah blah "out of your asses" because it's poking you in the brain.
Ow! that hurts!

It's a shame because there used to be more competition from more vendors that drove innovation instead of half hearted one-upsmanship. That's all we get now. Who do you have in the enthusiast space but Team Green and Team Red? Matrox, S3, Trident, XGI all went bye bye one way or another.

Gotta go now, I think my stick has splinters

Back