3dfx Making a Comeback?

Most likely a prank.

I don't see this ever happening, unless it is Nvidia relaunching a 3DFX brand for some reason.

A new (or old) entrant into the GPU market is extremely unlikely at this point. There are way too many barriers to entry.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's either some other product as suggested earlier (crypto) or just 'officially' branding the remakes using old parts.

Dat artwork. Coincidence I have the same one on my Voodoo 5 Shuttle.

4ADuk29.jpg

That Creative CD drive.. I had the same or similar one. It came with a mini remote control to eject discs and control music playback. Kind of silly looking back
my first dvd drive was one of their too. then i got one of those sweet sweet pioneer slot loads...

the twitter is silent, except for comments WTFing...

LOL. I was trying to find a decent PCI Voodoo card for a retro build today. I have a pair of sealed, new-in-the-box Voodoo2s, but I don’t want to open them.

Actually, if NVIDIA did run of Voodoo5s with an AGP and PCI interfaces, I would buy one.
for $2500? cause that's likely what it would cost.

so this could be nvidia trying make something better then Tegra for the next Shield device get that Nostalgia Cash. as mentioned eariler id buy a agp/pci 3Dfx Voodoo 5 6000 for a sick old retro rig. and that shuttle 3Dfx system gdamn that is pinnacle of awesome retro tech.

Captains Workspace has been making parody vids for these cards for a little while now. The quality of his work is impressive. The BitchinFast 3d review was fun, I think his 4090 review made me chuckle the most though.

As absurd and "April was four months ago, you fool!" as this sounds, I've seen other hardware brands make unexpected comebacks... albeit in name only.

For instance, Phase 5 - a prominent brand of Amiga accelerators, responsible for the Blizzard and CyberStorm product lines - got scooped up by some crazed fanboy trying to hype things up and make money on the name without really delivering anything. That sorta thing seems to happen a lot in the Amiga community in particular, not least being the Amiga IP itself, for whatever reason.

Then there's the hot mess that is the ownership history of the Atari brand; even I can't begin to keep that one straight. Lo and behold, the new VCS is a real product, albeit one I probably wouldn't buy for the price.

Meanwhile, I've still got a stash of old 3dfx cards. Sold off the Voodoo1 recently to someone who needed it for a Pentium 1 period-appropriate build, but I still have a pair of Voodoo2 12 MB cards that I want to test in SLI with the ribbon cable I hacked up from a floppy drive cable. Don't really have a suitable PC that has two PCI slots with the clearance for both, though, so I'll have to hope that the Mac driver extension supports SLI. (My Power Mac 9600 has the slots to spare, but will likely be CPU-limited at anything short of 1024x768.)

Mates, this has taco curious. Would something like that work with modern gpus? Slightly bridge for 3090s is like 70 dollars. Nt that I cn test something like that, but theoretically what your describing should work with them too, correct?
Theoretically, sure. Practically, I doubt it. Even if you could DIY your own modern bridge it probably would not work, I'm betting the NVIDIA bridge has some sort of ICs on it doing something.

Theoretically, sure. Practically, I doubt it. Even if you could DIY your own modern bridge it probably would not work, I'm betting the NVIDIA bridge has some sort of ICs on it doing something.
I dont think it has any ICs. But I think it is differential signaling, so the cable you use should have trace pairs with the correct impedance (85ohm?) and with trace length matching. Would not recommend regular IDE style ribbon cabling.

Wonder will it even do that well, just think of winamp, it came back but I don't think it is that popular anymore

Wonder will it even do that well, just think of winamp, it came back but I don't think it is that popular anymore
Winamp has had nothing but announcements of a new version since Radionomy purchased Nullsoft in 2014. It never came back. And now Vivendi is getting its dirty fingers in it after buying a majority stake in Radionomy a couple years ago.

It's a real post. :p It's actually there!

Now, is it a prank? Probably. But the post is definitely real. :p

Man how cool would that be if this was genuine? I mean, I know it probably isn't real, I can't imagine Jensen giving this a stamp of approval - but I really want it to be real.

*insert fry_shutup_and_take_my_money.jpg*

Man how cool would that be if this was genuine? I mean, I know it probably isn't real, I can't imagine Jensen giving this a stamp of approval - but I really want it to be real.

*insert fry_shutup_and_take_my_money.jpg*

If it were real, at best it would just be a rebranded Nvidia product. A new product line or something.

You know, good old fashioned GM style "Badge Engineering".

I feel like most of us in here are too smart to buy that hook line and sinker.

Gotta be fake. The grammar is terribad.

"3dfx Interactive is coming back, 20 years later. Prepare for an major announcement regarding our return this Thursday!"

"An major announcement" is not incorrect in Commonwealth English, since the indefinite article takes its spelling from the word it refers to, not the word that follows it.

"3dfx Interactive is coming back, 20 years later. Prepare for an major announcement regarding our return this Thursday!"

"An major announcement" is not incorrect in Commonwealth English, since the indefinite article takes its spelling from the word it refers to, not the word that follows it.

I did not know they did that differently over there. Never came across it before, despite interacting with Brits semi-regularly.

That said 3dfx was based in San Jose, CA.

I did not know they did that differently over there. Never came across it before, despite interacting with Brits semi-regularly.

That said 3dfx was based in San Jose, CA.
The Twitter handle now claims to be based in SF, CA

If it were real, at best it would just be a rebranded Nvidia product. A new product line or something.

You know, good old fashioned GM style "Badge Engineering".

I feel like most of us in here are too smart to buy that hook line and sinker.
Agreed, though I'd still take that Voodoo branded RTX card all things being the same.

Agreed, though I'd still take that Voodoo branded RTX card all things being the same.
Considering the voodoo brand at the time of the acquisition, I'm surprised Nvidia didn't take advantage of that at all early on. 3dfx really had the gaming world by the tail. I can still remember being annoyed at how much better glide games looked, even after 3dfx was gone.
It was like dx7 vs DX9.

Back