372.70 WHQL Driver Released

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Get them here. Remember to pick your appropriate operating system version. Windows 10 Anniversary Update has a new WDDM version.

Drivers | GeForce

Sounds like these further address performance in WOW: Legion, Deus Ex: MD, and No Man's Sky. These are also "Game Ready" for the Battlefield 1 beta and the Steam version of Quantum Break. For those using multimonitor with 144 Hz refresh rate, the release notes also mention lowering power consumption in this scenario.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/372.70/372.70-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf

Wait, wut? Different drivers now for Windows 10 AU vs. non-AU?

Quick look at the driver page for the driver:

Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit
Windows 10 64-bit

So it's the same file. Guess they eventually will be different downloads?

Anyone tested yet if the Fallout 3/NV issue is solved under Windows 10 1607.

This is the first driver in almost 4 years that didn't disable SLI after installing it. I ALWAYS have to manually re-enable it.

I'm curious what kind (if any) improvements it makes with DX:MD. I think that game's performance issues often relate back to an overly strenuous benchmark.

Lol wut........ Do you really reformat when you change drivers? Driver display uninstaller would probably suffice...
Haven't bothered with that in the last two years. I just let GE do an Express install, never had any problems. I'm too lazy to fire up recovery mode and DDU every time I reinstall video drivers.

I'll be waiting to hear about stability. The 372.54 had a lot of room for improvement.

I havent needed DDU or to uninstall the driver in any way since I got rid of my 290x for a 980ti well over a year ago.
I install over the top keeping my settings, never a problem.
I dont use GE ever and I usually wait to see if a driver is good quality before trying.

Geez. I install new drivers on top of the last set nearly every time. Occasionally I'll do a "clean install" but I can't remember the last time I needed to use DDU.
Are you guys running into SLI issues or is it just the normal install borking things?

How can I tell if I have the Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed? I just let windows update it self. Is there an easy way to find out?

Geez. I install new drivers on top of the last set nearly every time. Occasionally I'll do a "clean install" but I can't remember the last time I needed to use DDU.
Are you guys running into SLI issues or is it just the normal install borking things?
Most people I've seen simply use things like DDU because they think they should, rather than because of any issues.

How can I tell if I have the Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed? I just let windows update it self. Is there an easy way to find out?

Anniversary Update is version 1607. Check the "about" Windows or you can always look and see if the 1607 (or later) is installed via Windows Update.

I'll be waiting to hear about stability. The 372.54 had a lot of room for improvement.
I've only been hearing about issues with the WDDM 2.1 driver. It's anecdotal, but I haven't had issues on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 version 1511.

I've only been hearing about issues with the WDDM 2.1 driver. It's anecdotal, but I haven't had issues on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 version 1511.

Well my desktop has Win10 AU and I don't feel like reloading it with something older. Works great with the 368 drivers, and I mean great. The 372 was just dumping me out of games to the desktop randomly with very conservative overclocks. I'm fine for now, I can wait for them to iron this out, and I know they will.

I hope these are better than 372.54.

Those drivers were the worst I have ever used. I had to roll back to the Titan X launch drivers (369.05) because 372.54 were completely unusable.

First time they intsalled (through Geforce Experience) about half of my titles (including some very mature ones, like Fallout New Vegas) started instantly crashing. At stock clocks.

I figured something might have gone wrong during install, so I used DDU in safe mode to clean them out and do a clean isntall of them, and this time they wouldn't even install. The installer quit with an "Nvidia installer has failed" message.

I could force install the drivers by going into the device manager and right clicking on the device, and it would appear to work, until reboot, when I'd get a yellow triangle and an error 43.

That's when I did another ddu in safe mode to remove 372.54, reinstalled 369.05 and returned to stability.

Last edited:
Well my desktop has Win10 AU and I don't feel like reloading it with something older. Works great with the 368 drivers, and I mean great. The 372 was just dumping me out of games to the desktop randomly with very conservative overclocks. I'm fine for now, I can wait for them to iron this out, and I know they will.

Does it do it at stock settings also?

Didn't bother to check. Tried with the normal OC I used from the 368 series (160MHz) and got pretty much immediate driver recovery crashes on any game. turned it down to 120Mhz and would get immediate crashes in some games and only random in others (like Witcher 3). Turned down to 50 and still was getting random crashes in some games. All of that with no noticeable improvements in performance. Went back to 368 and the card has been running Witcher 3 for hours at a time without any problems at all with the 160MHz OC. And I'm definitely not alone in my appraisal of the 372.54 driver. MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB Review

Didn't bother to check. Tried with the normal OC I used from the 368 series (160MHz) and got pretty much immediate driver recovery crashes on any game. turned it down to 120Mhz and would get immediate crashes in some games and only random in others (like Witcher 3). Turned down to 50 and still was getting random crashes in some games. All of that with no noticeable improvements in performance. Went back to 368 and the card has been running Witcher 3 for hours at a time without any problems at all with the 160MHz OC. And I'm definitely not alone in my appraisal of the 372.54 driver. MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB Review

I haven't had any issues with the 372.54's and my 1080 FTW. In fact it fixed the DPC latency issue I had. I would still try it without any overclock, only way to really know if that was the problem. Newer drivers can push a GPU slightly differently and make your OC unstable.

Well, in 372.54, mine was unstable at stock clocks. Those were the worst drivers for any device I have ever used. Considering the extent of my troubles it's amazing to me they even made it out the door. Felt pre-alpha. Total fail.

I have high hopes for this new 372.70. Will have to try when I get home.

I haven't had any issues with the 372.54's and my 1080 FTW. In fact it fixed the DPC latency issue I had. I would still try it without any overclock, only way to really know if that was the problem. Newer drivers can push a GPU slightly differently and make your OC unstable.

A 50MHz "OC" would actually put it at what the card is sold as without using the MSI gaming app. Either way, though, I'm not interested in spending time on that. What little time I can set aside for gaming I want to go to gaming, not seeing if drivers stop being crappy. If reports are positive for this newer version I'll give it a try.

Well, in 372.54, mine was unstable at stock clocks. Those were the worst drivers for any device I have ever used. Considering the extent of my troubles it's amazing to me they even made it out the door. Felt pre-alpha. Total fail.

I have high hopes for this new 372.70. Will have to try when I get home.

I had the same problem at stock on 372.54. 372.70 seems to have fixed my stability issues at stock and was able to reapply my OC and so far no issues.

Oh and sadly, these do NOT fix the high DPC Latency issue with 1080s and streaming video. Netflix or YouTube still stutter / cause DPS latency spikes.... *sigh*

Wait...who the hell REFORMATS for driver change??? Just use DDU and all your problems are solved.

I don't usually reformat for driver updates, but 372.54 and W10 AU bugs have been driving me crazy lately so I've gone through a few, not 78, lol. And yes I do DDU too!

Grab some pizza's (no pineapple) and Mellow Yellow's and come over and play on my personal arcade.

I had the exact same issues he's reporting so yes the 372 .54 drivers did f****** overclocking for many people. There's a Reddit Thread about that with plenty of other people reporting the same thing.

372.54 finally worked for me (for some reason), but I will give these a try when I get home.

Oh and sadly, these do NOT fix the high DPC Latency issue with 1080s and streaming video. Netflix or YouTube still stutter / cause DPS latency spikes.... *sigh*
Have you tried using the MSI version of interrupt for your gfx card?
(Message Signalled Interrupts)

AMD have been using them for some time, I have to manually enable it on my 980ti each time I install a new video driver.
It makes some things snappier for sure.

More info here, although the process can be simplified mucho!
Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts ... - Guru3D.com Forums
Careful what you enable as you can barf the system.
"Last known good" will recover it if you dont manage to boot any other way.

TLDR;
Get the switching app here or find MSI_util elsewhere
MSI_util.zip
Run as admin.
Tick the unticked boxes for your gfx card, click Apply in the top right. DONT tick just anything!
Reboot.

To verify it has worked, open Device Manager.
View by resources by type
Open interrupts, scroll to the bottom.
Devices using MSI have a negative interrupt number.

Hopefully it will help.

Back