3080 12 GB

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
This card seems a bit bizarre to me. Too close to a 3080Ti. Why is it going to exist?
What bus speed is this card going to be? It is never mentioned in any media blurbs. Can't stay the same with 12GB right?

384 bit, and yes, most of the SKU's are very close in nvidia's stack at the top end right now.

384 bit, and yes, most of the SKU's are very close in nvidia's stack at the top end right now.
2GB is okay and welcomed but the higher bus is very nice. I would think by summer this will replace the 3080. It seems like they have dropped the Super models?

Apart from memory capacity and bandwidth, it's still closer to a 3080 than a 3080 ti spec-wise.

It's meant to push nV's strategy at micro-segmentation and the continuation to increase MSRP. They're essentially "preparing" us for higher MSRP to come in the 4000-series.

Apart from memory capacity and bandwidth, it's still closer to a 3080 than a 3080 ti spec-wise.

It's meant to push nV's strategy at micro-segmentation and the continuation to increase MSRP. They're essentially "preparing" us for higher MSRP to come in the 4000-series.

It is clear to nVidia that gamers will pay to play with the latest gear, so it would be stupid to not capitalize on it.

4070 - $699
4080 - $899
4080Ti - $1499
4090 - $1999

At the very least.

It is clear to nVidia that gamers will pay to play with the latest gear, so it would be stupid to not capitalize on it.

4070 - $699
4080 - $899
4080Ti - $1499
4090 - $1999

At the very least.
This would be my guess, if not higher. In any case, nV is wringing their hands with glee.

4070 - $699
4080 - $899
4080Ti - $1499
4090 - $1999

At the very least.
3080 12GB preorder prices are at €1600.

So I think it's more likely 1499$ will be the new xx80 segment.

Come on, Nvidia and AMD are not that greedy. They have just been very unlucky lately with chip sortages. I'm sure they mean well and as soon as things go back to normal, we will all have better lives.
I'm expecting great things in 2021. RTX 4070 for €299. RTX 4080 for €300 and RTX 4090 for €301.

Come on, Nvidia and AMD are not that greedy. They have just been very unlucky lately with chip sortages. I'm sure they mean well and as soon as things go back to normal, we will all have better lives.
I'm expecting great things in 2021. RTX 4070 for €299. RTX 4080 for €300 and RTX 4090 for €301.
Umm, 2021 was like, last year?

So basically this is the 3080 super edition....with no reviews before launch for maybe $1000.....yeeeeesh

4070 - $699
4080 - $899
4080Ti - $1499
4090 - $1999

At the very least.
That is a very very optimistic outlook. Looking at the ever changing pricing pattern since launch, the 3080 has clearly been underpriced all along.

I would expect yet another shift up the product stack. A 4080 priced where the 3080 Ti is/was, etc. That's the pattern we've been seeing. With 10% gains in between each sku. Ti or Super variants launched later to fill any gaps.

So basically this is the 3080 super edition....with no reviews before launch for maybe $1000.....yeeeeesh
EVGA already put up product pages for their 12GB 3080 skus. You're off by about $250-300.

Can't wait to see what the other vendors price theirs at. :rolleyes:

What I care about.... are these new 3080's going to be intentionally LHR limited?
Yes.

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 12G-P5-4877-KL, 12GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate, LHR

For the price it’s almost better to use this as a temporary card to go for a 3090 step up.

For the price it’s almost better to use this as a temporary card to go for a 3090 step up.

Idk, it's still like 90 percent of the performance for 50-60 percent of the price. (I can't exactly tell since nvidia was being lame again)

Don't get me wrong, this is not something I will get.

This going to be near $2k from AiB. The 3080ti already there and beyond for a lot of the AiB.

Prices will keep going up until cards are sitting on shelves, at that point they will start doing sales and meaningful game bundles again.

As a happy 3080 user in terms of performance, let me say. **** Nvidia. I have never seen such a greedy, anti-consumer, institution in my life. They make Intel of the 90s look like Mother Theresa. Eat a **** Nvidia.

A company has a fiduciary responsibility to generate profit for their shareholders; they have zero responsibility to reduce their profit out of a sense of altruism for their customers. In the last couple of years they have learned that crypto miners are willing to gobble up a lion's share of their production, and they have also learned that end users are willing to pay significantly more money than they were previously charging.

Do you really expect them to lower prices so that you can have some money left over to afford other luxury items?

A company has a fiduciary responsibility to generate profit for their shareholders; they have zero responsibility to reduce their profit out of a sense of altruism for their customers. In the last couple of years they have learned that crypto miners are willing to gobble up a lion's share of their production, and they have also learned that end users are willing to pay significantly more money than they were previously charging.

Do you really expect them to lower prices so that you can have some money left over to afford other luxury items?

There's a balance between keeping customers happy and making money. When the price of the 2080Ti was $1199 and the 1080Ti preceding it was $699, I said fuck you Nvidia, and I voted with my wallet. If it had been priced more reasonably, it could have sold better.

As for the crypto mining BS, it's easy to pick on crypto as the source of all the problems, but the reality is the LHR cards didn't make a dent in availability and they are power hungry pigs in terms of performance per watt compared to their FHR counterparts. ETH mining has a shelf life left of about 6 months, most of the available cards won't ROI in that time frame, but there's still no availability. There's more to this than just "crypto bad."

Was 10 gig always been perceived to be on the line ?

That make why it exist versus the current 3080 obvious, which let only the question needed if the 3080TI exist ?

It keep the 3080 core count (and so, success rate), seem obvious why one would keep it, 8704 vs 10240 cores.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The market is dictating cost of all new GPUs and AMD/NVIDIA would be stupid to not react to the prices the market is setting. Even if AMD and NVIDIA gave away their chips for free to the AIBs we would still see the prices we are currently experiencing.

While I agree with you in principle. In practice many times it seems to go the other way. Sears, Kmart, RCA, Victorola, Lehman Brothers, Blockbuster, et al. All companies that put investors before their customers. Customers are where the $ comes from. If you treat your customers like crap, they will eventually stop buying and/or using your product(s). We shall see if eventually this befalls Nvidia. It hasn't yet, and I can admit that as someone who himself bought a 3080.

While I agree with you in principle. In practice many times it seems to go the other way. Sears, Kmart, RCA, Victorola, Lehman Brothers, Blockbuster, et al. All companies that put investors before their customers. Customers are where the $ comes from. If you treat your customers like crap, they will eventually stop buying and/or using your product(s). We shall see if eventually this befalls Nvidia. It hasn't yet, and I can admit that as someone who himself bought a 3080.

While I can't speak to Ponzi Bros. and RCA/Victrola, the remainder were retail outlets facing competition from multiple fronts, including the internet and the new generation of big box stores (still doesn't explain Sears losing the appliance business though), and who failed to adapt and innovate to the changing times.

Nvidia is in a more unique position of providing a niche luxury item devoid of consumer service requirements with essentially zero competition besides AMD for higher end graphics solutions. Customers demonstrated last year that they were willing to pay two to three times retail prices to obtain their widgets from scalpers, and the market has responded across the board to scarcity and shipping issues that were unknown two years ago (look at the price of new cars for an example of how chip scarcity has affected supply and pricing). If those last two issues were not on the table the situation would be much different, but that is the way things are for the time being at least.

Here is why Nvidia and AMD are charging what they want for their cards. The average Joe wants/needs a new card. The miners want cards to make money. The scalpers want to make money. The chip shortage/pandemic has not helped. With everyone wanting cards tell me what is a manufacturer going to do? Let's go back to middle school to supply and demand. Stop paying for high priced cards aka demand they will lower in price aka supply. There is a point where we as consumers stop paying and prices will drop. Biggest problem with that theory is the miners will still buy even at higher prices. The end to this will be when mining is not a profitable business to be in. This is not a flame on mining but a fact. Think of how many cards would be available if there was no mining?

Don't blame the market for prices when YOU as a consumer keep buying.

for once, being an early adopter of a 3090 at msrp work out great
Same.

Paid $1800 for my EVGA 3090 FTW3 HydroCopper after affiliate code discount. Also got in on the $60 ten year extended warranty before EVGA got rid of it and replaced it with the eye watering $240 seven year warranty.

I firmly regret not buying the 60 10 year on my 3090. Will not be buying the more expensive one.

I miss the days of the lifetime xfx warranties.

Back