3080 12 GB

Honestly my 2080ti will do me just fine for a few mire years if needed. I am to blind to see a 20 percent better card. So the next gen needs to be a much bigger increase for me to benefit from it.
I remember the days of doubling performance for half the cost. I’ll be dead before that happens again.

I remember the days of doubling performance for half the cost. I’ll be dead before that happens again.
Very true. Just last year I finally upgraded from my 2600k because it worked just fine for what I needed/wanted. Crazy how tech changes so quick but the older stuff still works just fine.

Calling it now:

RTX 4070 - $999
RTX 4080 - $1199
RTX 4090 - $2999 (minimum)
Well there's no way they would price the 4070 and 4080 that close together. If the 4070 ends up around 999 then the 4080 would absolutely be 1499 or more.

Depends entirely on performance, eh. If the 4070 is double the 3080 then sure $999 is reasonable.
That's not how this is supposed to work going from one gen to the next.

Well there's no way they would price the 4070 and 4080 that close together. If the 4070 ends up around 999 then the 4080 would absolutely be 1499 or more.
Fair. Could be 3090 MSRP for the 4080.

What did the 770 cost if I might ask?

It cost me absolutely nothing.
It was considered broken and destined for e-waste before I 'rescued' it.
I took it apart...cleaned up all the hardened paste with 90% isopropyl alcohol...applied new MX5 TIM...blew out any dust and ordered $18 worth of dual ball-bearing fans.
The thing is super quiet and runs even Assetto Corsa at high to max settings.
It stays very, very cool with the better fans.

Depends entirely on performance, eh. If the 4070 is double the 3080 then sure $999 is reasonable.
The naming scheme is arbitrary. FFS the regular "3080" should actually be a "3080 Ti" if you go by the GPU itself but nobody ever talks about that.
The 4070 will almost certainly be in the performance bracket the 3080 is in now, perhaps with somewhat better RT performance. Nonetheless, the starting price will likely be =>$1000.

What a ridiculous card in a world where the 68SM 10GB 320bit 3080 exists. The long-rumored 20GB version of the 68SM 3080 would have made sense, it would have served a useful differentiation without being confusing. I agree that this is just a way to get rid of MSRP on the 3080.

Now that NV has played their waste-of-time hand here, the next thing to watch will be Intel Arc pricing 'cause that's going to strongly influence how silly the high-memory-capacity 3070Ti launch will be. Sky's the limit for NV RTX tier absurdity so that'll be fun to see unfold :rolleyes:
Honestly, with the performance delta between the 3080 and 3080Ti, it makes no sense to slot any card between them. Heck, it doesnt Even make sense to slot the Ti between the 3080 and 3090.

Honestly, with the performance delta between the 3080 and 3080Ti, it makes no sense to slot any card between them. Heck, it doesnt Even make sense to slot the Ti between the 3080 and 3090.
Not much choice for Nvidia as the 3080 10GB edition is memory starved so opening up the bus to 384-bit on the 3080 12gb edition does improve performance significantly. A 20GB edition would most likely drive the cost up significantly and no games need 20GB. Their competition is supposed to be the 6800xt for a short while and then the 6800xt with improved memory soon so they needed a slight performance increase. Unfortunately the real competition is the 6900xt as both the 3080ti and 3080 12gb edition are priced around the 6900xt editions in my country. Want a cheap 6900xt then pay pay about the same as a 3080 12gb, want an expensive one then pay slightly less than a 3080ti.

I agree abt the 3080->3080Ti gap- when I talk about 20GB 3080 I don't mean as an intermediate performance tier, I just mean a 3080 with more VRAM.
The 3080Ti though has gotten treated kind of weirdly by tech press IMO. It's like people are forgetting that the 3090 is the new Titan, and that x80Ti cards and Titan cards are always almost identical in performance.

Not much choice for Nvidia as the 3080 10GB edition is memory starved so opening up the bus to 384-bit on the 3080 12gb edition does improve performance significantly. A 20GB edition would most likely drive the cost up significantly and no games need 20GB. Their competition is supposed to be the 6800xt for a short while and then the 6800xt with improved memory soon so they needed a slight performance increase. Unfortunately the real competition is the 6900xt as both the 3080ti and 3080 12gb edition are priced around the 6900xt editions in my country. Want a cheap 6900xt then pay pay about the same as a 3080 12gb, want an expensive one then pay slightly less than a 3080ti.
That just means the 12GB version is what the 3080 should’ve been all along.

Any thoughts on the Asus 3080 12gb Tuf series? Worth getting (used)?
the 3070 Ti(s) i put in a couple systems were nice solid cards without all the bling, though they did have a little rgb...
what are you replacing?

the 3070 Ti(s) i put in a couple systems were nice solid cards without all the bling, though they did have a little rgb...
what are you replacing?
I currently have an EVGA RTX 3060 XC. I just see that the 3060 series is still overpriced in stores - in fact, most cards are (especially Nvidia). I put all my build $ into the cpu, memory, case, psu - when I bought everything. Video cards, new, are still expensive. I didn't buy a monitor and instead use my 4K TV. A 3080 12gb is decent for a bunch of 4K titles and will only help with content creation stuff.... and if I sell the 3060, I'll get some $ back - anyway, you know what I mean? :)

The lack of RGB isn't a big deal but I often worry about issues on used stuff -although, supposedly, I can warranty the card with the serial # (despite not being the original buyer). However, obviously, I don't really want to - and I have read about some coil whine stories that concern me a bit. The seller is offering a good deal, though - providing the card looks okay visually - and I won't know about the performance etc. unil installing it.

I'm also open to other 3080s - but, this one is 12gb and seller is asking a decent price. I read through this thread - and at least, I can say, I'm buying it used. I find a lot of sellers asking for way more than what the price should be - ppl with multiple cards - obvious miners - and they also ask for more - I really dislike buying used because of the hassle and ppl asking/scalping? so much.
I was looking at the 3080 Ti and 3090 models but ppl ask for $1K - so, I have to go through the same process...."still available? flexible on price? what did you do with it? Game? Mine?" Etc. It gets tedious after a while.
I am also worried about coil whine.

Back