• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$2500 5090 I’m out

Nvidia has never been a consumer friendly company, part of the strategy is creating an unobtainium aura around their 'video cards'. Technically they can sell FE cards amongst other products locally in an Apple like store near their HQ.

LOL pretty much.

Heck, even Google has "stores" now where you can walk in and actually purchase a new Google Pixel phone right there on the spot.

Or when Google announces a brand new phone, they put them up for pre-order immediately after the announcement, you go to the website, find the one you want, preorder it, and then it comes out several weeks later and will be shipped to your home as stock is available.

How the heck a high-end video card isn't sold and purchased in a similar manner today is baffling. So nVidia wants us to go drive or walk to an actual brick and mortar store in hopes said store might actually have its product on shelves.

Man that's so outdated.

Ok, so you go to a Best Buy or Microcenter and they're sold out, ok now what? Best Buy won't take your name or allow to hold future product shipments. Microcenter the same, if they're out-of-stock on a 5090, you can't ask them to hold you one for when they might come on stock, you can't put a deposit down to have them hold you one in the near future.

Such a strange way to sell video cards.
 
I'd imagine an Nvidia store would probably have more stock (+ guaranteed FE's) vs. the average Best Buy. Kind of like an Apple store used to vs. a typical ATT/Verizon store.
 
I'd imagine an Nvidia store would probably have more stock (+ guaranteed FE's) vs. the average Best Buy. Kind of like an Apple store used to vs. a typical ATT/Verizon store.

Does nVidia actually have physical stores?

As far as Best Buy goes, yes they sold the high-end 3090 FE and 4090 FE cards, and they list the new 5090 FE online, but these cards have NEVER actually been in stock on store shelves, they're always just pre-orders or website purchases that get shipped to the stores you then have to go in and pick up. As far as I know they've never had actual product on shelves.

So nVidia just uses Best Buy as like a warehouse or shipping hub or something for it's FE's?

Is there another way to purchase Founders Edition cards besides Best Buy?
 
Last edited:
IMO they could just bring back the Titan and stop the gaming cards at the 80 Ti level. RTX 5000 Titan is 2 grand and a prosumer card that can game. The 80Ti is the top gaming focused card and has less and costs less. People get bent out of shape more it seems because the xx90 cards are insanely expensive for just gaming for most people to splash on.

However ,the marketing of Titan class cards to gamers who need to “stop being poor” really has been printing money for them with hype , FOMO and people’s insecurities.
What is "Titan" class though? It used to be really down to the drivers as it always shared the same silicon as the 80 Ti card and was either worse, the same, or better on the specs vs said 80 Ti card of a given generation.

Given silicon tiering these days, there isn't really an 80 Ti anymore. The 80 Ti and the Titan has effectively been replaced by the 90. Let's not forget, the 40-series did not have an 80-Ti card, and I think likewise, it's unlikely we see any lower cost cards in the 50-series using GB202 than the 5090.
 
Does nVidia actually have physical stores?

As far as Best Buy goes, yes they sold the high-end 3090 FE and 4090 FE cards, and they list the new 5090 FE online, but these cards have NEVER actually been in stock on store shelves, they're always just pre-orders or website purchases that get shipped to the stores you then have to go in and pick up. As far as I know they've never had actual product on shelves.

So nVidia just uses Best Buy as like a warehouse or shipping hub or something for it's FE's?

Is there another way to purchase Founders Edition cards besides Best Buy?
I think that Best Buy actually do have them in shelves.

There was a trick in the app that people used to see where a videocard was available even if it said out of stock on the website.
 
Microcenter to me has always been a sure bet on a getting a high-end new card in stock, it might not be the week of release, but a month or two after, yes.

Curious, why does only Best Buy get the FE cards and not MC?
 
I've seen a 4080 on the shelf at Best Buy, but it was well after the initial rush. It was like 6 months ago.
As far as other places selling FE's go, you at least used to be able to buy 'em straight from Nvidia. I think that might still work? I bought a 1080 and 2080 directly from them. There's still room to add payment to your Nvidia account/cart.
 
I know customers aren't always the smartest, but I always feel like they should release their fastest card first. Imagine being the person who bought an RTX 3090ti, and 8 months later see the RTX 4090 being released. I doubt that person is going to let that happen to them again...
 
I know customers aren't always the smartest, but I always feel like they should release their fastest card first. Imagine being the person who bought an RTX 3090ti, and 8 months later see the RTX 4090 being released. I doubt that person is going to let that happen to them again...

But don't they?

5090 and 5080 release end of January

5070 / 5070 Ti in February

5060 in March / April
 
But don't they?

5090 and 5080 release end of January

5070 / 5070 Ti in February

5060 in March / April
We don't know whether they plan on releasing a 5090Ti or Titan variant. They've always released a faster variant of their cards later, except for their 4000 series. The RTX 3090 Ti released super late, where anyone who bought one on launch only had to wait less than 8 months until a faster card came out.

RTX 2080 Ti = 9/20/2018
Titan RTX = 12/18/2018

RTX 3090 = 9/1/2020
RTX 3090 Ti = 1/27/2022

RTX 4090 = 9/20/2022
 
What? I don't understand
2 message above:
Nvidia has never been a consumer friendly company, part of the strategy is creating an unobtainium aura around their 'video cards'. Technically they can sell FE cards amongst other products locally in an Apple like store near their HQ.
 
What a world we live in, where people will camp out to get a $2,500.00 video card. Wow.

Especially if these 5090 buyers already have a 4090 that's insane IMO.

I just don't get it, what's it magically going to do getting it right away Jan. 31st? Give you 171 fps over the 147fps you currently get with a high-end card. Ok ...

Plus there's zero new games pushing hardware right now. Maybe Doom Dark Ages or Battlefield 6 or some other upcoming games.

I say if you want a 5090 just walk in casually to a Microcenter or Best Buy and see if they have in stock, just keep doing that weekly and eventually you'll get one in a few weeks or couple months.

Plus if the rumors are true, the 5090 is only 30% faster than a 4090 then no way would I fork over that much ca$h to nGreedia, just on principal they shouldn't get my money for such an underwhelming release and such an outrageous price. Now if the 5090 is like 75% faster than a 4090 in raw raster performance without the gimmick crap like DLSS4 or AI stuff, then yes that's an understandable price.

But hey, that's just me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Plus it's the year 2025 why do buyers need to wait in line in the winter to buy a product? How isn't this available via pre-order online and have it shipped to you like a new smartphone. Going to an actual store just to see if it's in stock seems very outdated.

Can you go to the nVidia website and actually place an order for a RTX-5090 FE, bill me now, and ship to me when in stock? I would be tempted to do so AFTER I see real reviews next week.

But isn't the only way to get the FE version through Best Buy? Which is nearly impossible, they sell out in seconds, and restock you have less than one minute to click the purchase button, otherwise it's gone immediately.
Are you gonna go on these rants every week?
 
I really wanted to see the 5090 be closer to $5K and see people go out of their minds. Then the 6090 at $10K. And all that's out there to play being Dragon Age Veilguard, Star Wars Outlaws, and Indiana Jones and the Great Circle using DLSS Quality with Frame Generation. Would be the greatest joke on Earth.
 
I really wanted to see the 5090 be closer to $5K and see people go out of their minds. Then the 6090 at $10K. And all that's out there to play being Dragon Age Veilguard, Star Wars Outlaws, and Indiana Jones and the Great Circle using DLSS Quality with Frame Generation. Would be the greatest joke on Earth.
What we all want is low prices. Even if you don't buy latest and greatest 90 series cards the second hand market for previous generation 90 series card needs to have good prices because many people are waiting to get one for this time a bit more fair price.

Otherwise Nvidia might have made 5090 price much higher but from what we had seen the generational improvements are not very impressive.
It was easier between 30 and 40 series when moving from Samsung 8nm to TSMC 5nm but moving to TSMC 4nm after that is not going to make that much difference. Memory is quite a bit faster moving from GDDR6X at 384-bit to GDDR7 at 512-bit but CU count did not increase that much and clocks are actually lower due to power constraint - power which is already pretty much 600W.

At least this time OC is guaranteed to be mind blowing for those with spare water cooling and PSU capacity.

Are there any AIB models of 5090 announced with more than one 16-pin PCI-e power connectors?
 
There was a trick in the app that people used to see where a videocard was available even if it said out of stock on the website.

This is correct. I used the app to locate a 4090 FE at a local Best Buy in 2022. Going to try my luck with it again as I don’t live near a Micro Center.
 
I'm not against people buying a 5090, do what you want with your money. I'm just saying if the reviews do point out the 5090 over the 4090 is only 25% to 30% better, then in my opinion, that's a bad deal for $2,000.00. When two years ago, the 4090 from the 3090 was a 60% to 70% better performer. That's all I'm saying.

I am eagerly waiting on real reviews of the card to make a decision. I am very tempted on to get a 5090 FE myself, I love the design of the Founders Edition, with it being a 2 slot thin card, and a super cool minimal style. Plus it's the cheapest one too. The AIB cards are big chunkers, and come in silly rainbow colors or cheesy stickers on them, I think FE versions look super cool. But man they are nearly impossible to get, they seem like limited edition cards.
 
I'm not against people buying a 5090, do what you want with your money. I'm just saying if the reviews do point out the 5090 over the 4090 is only 25% to 30% better, then in my opinion, that's a bad deal for $2,000.00. When two years ago, the 4090 from the 3090 was a 60% to 70% better performer. That's all I'm saying.

I am eagerly waiting on real reviews of the card to make a decision. I am very tempted on to get a 5090 FE myself, I love the design of the Founders Edition, with it being a 2 slot thin card, and a super cool minimal style. Plus it's the cheapest one too. The AIB cards are big chunkers, and come in silly rainbow colors or cheesy stickers on them, I think FE versions look super cool. But man they are nearly impossible to get, they seem like limited edition cards.
I'm waiting to see if the boards overheat and the fans get stupid loud after heat soaked. Also really want to see if that tiny little power dongle on the board that runs to the power connector holds up to high power draw. I'm sure Tech Jesus will answer the call.
 
What we all want is low prices.
In the all else being equal sense sure... in the they should have kept 5090 around ~600mmm, GDRR6 and 384 bits memory bus with a 5% performance increase instead of a price increase or not make it at all because it cannot make sense a low price.... does everybody want that ? Maybe some, as they feel bad if they do not have the biggest gpu that exist, but I am not so sure that the case.

The big performance jump this generation seem to be will be in a dlss balanced that look a little bit better than quality of not so long ago and take less ms to run has well, if that really the case, in subjective experience term it could be massive, despite the modest raster gain.
 
Last edited:
I’m good with my 4090 and 4080 for my 3-D rendering I’m just gonna set up a Q system and have that shit render while I’m offshore working most of the time I know I make more than $100,000 a year but at $2500 for a 5090 I’m out

More law as dead reporting that’s what the new price is gonna be $2000-$2500 and they’re leaning closer to 2500 and there’s not even any games that really need a 5090 Jesus

Well, you listened to MLID, that was your first mistake.

So, it's not $2,500, so are you in?
 
Zotac has moved manufacturing out of China, so their pricing should be competitive.
 
Nvidia said that Ray tracing performance only increased by 15%-33%?

Depend what you mean by RT performance,as of now the 2 title with somewhat a clear view (RE and Far cry) are quite limited version of RT and not what usually used to look at them most of the render task is not RT on those, a 5090 has 318 RT tflops vs191 tflops for the 4090, that a 66% boost and I would expect a similar performance in raw RT which would only show up in vray render task type of situation.

I doubt the gian in pure raster scenario will be better than in game with raytracing.
 
Huh, Nvidia said that Ray tracing performance only increased by 15%-33%? Not a great lift from the 4000 series.

I guess we can hope Raster is higher.....which is should be?

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...ce-uplift-without-dlss-multi-frame-generation

Interesting comment from that site showing such poor performance on the 5xxx series;

" With how small the gen over gen performance uplift is, the 50 series you are seeing now is what the 40 super series should have been.

There 5090 should be the 4090Ti
The 5080 should be the 4080Ti "
 
Interesting comment from that site showing such poor performance on the 5xxx series;

" With how small the gen over gen performance uplift is, the 50 series you are seeing now is what the 40 super series should have been.

There 5090 should be the 4090Ti
The 5080 should be the 4080Ti "
They're saving the big guns to compete with RDNA5 and making a few bucks on the side thanks to FOMO.
 
I'm waiting to see if the boards overheat and the fans get stupid loud after heat soaked. Also really want to see if that tiny little power dongle on the board that runs to the power connector holds up to high power draw. I'm sure Tech Jesus will answer the call.
Good point. People on reddit are fawning over how pretty the FE looks but I still remember those loud ass fans and inefficient memory cooling on my 3XXX cards. I had a 3080 FE and later a TI which was just as bad.

Nice aesthetics is great but not at the cost of noise and performance.
 
They're saving the big guns to compete with RDNA5 and making a few bucks on the side thanks to FOMO.
Unless they're using a new node, it might not be possible for Nvidia to get performance any higher right now. Not unless the videocard is getting fed 700-800 watts but even with high end water cooling, the parts might not be meant to be running with so much power.

Based on that, without any frame-gen, something like Cyberpunk at 4K will now be playable at DLSS Quality vs DLSS performance on a 4090. Or you can continue using 4K DLSS performance for a more stable framerate. That's a pretty good improvement for games like Cyberpunk, Wukong and AW2 which can barely run at 60hz with 4K DLSS performance. But that improvement is probably not worth the extra $, especially if you already have a 4090 that is a good overclocker.

However, the MFG improvement is pretty exciting. 3/4X MFG is basically available at the same cost as 2X frame-gen. For slower paced AAA games, 4K/200 with max PT settings is a huge boost in image clarity compared to typically 4K/100 on a 4090.
For the people who absolutely hate frame-gen, then this upgrade is probably not for them.
 
" 5090 will be 27% better performer than the 4090 is spot on. Gamer Nexus also says a less than 30% increase. "

This based off raster raw performance only, not accounting for DLSS4 or AI regen stuff.

Rumors are the performance is power limited, with 720 watts going direct to the video card they say the 5090 then matches the 60% to 70% performance upgrade like the 3090 to 4090, but under 600w it's only a 30% or less upgrade from the 4090. They say a 5090 Ti is for sure coming.
It's about 25% more power to go from 575 w to 720. There is zero chance that using 25% more power would double the performance. If anything it's always gone the opposite direction with diminishing returns compared to power usage increase.
 
Well, you listened to MLID, that was your first mistake.

So, it's not $2,500, so are you in?

In short...no. I could sell everything and get a Falcon Northwest Tiki But even if I did make the jump i would be giving up 2 ram slots. These water simulations I am doing are crazy. I am not sure even with the new ram sticks (64gb) would be enough to pull me to sell my current setup. So no I am not going to buy this time. Just keep what i have.
 
In short...no. I could sell everything and get a Falcon Northwest Tiki But even if I did make the jump i would be giving up 2 ram slots. These water simulations I am doing are crazy. I am not sure even with the new ram sticks (64gb) would be enough to pull me to sell my current setup. So no I am not going to buy this time. Just keep what i have.
Have you ever tried a Falcon Northwest PC before? I was interested in getting their SFF build before but decided that the specs weren't high enough.
 
Have you ever tried a Falcon Northwest PC before? I was interested in getting their SFF build before but decided that the specs weren't high enough.

I had one a talon air cooled it was super nice.

I wanted to try water cooling so I had a custom 2k case made and had NFC build out

7950x/196gb ram/4090+4080

I love falcon north west
 
I had one a talon air cooled it was super nice.

I wanted to try water cooling so I had a custom 2k case made and had NFC build out

7950x/196gb ram/4090+4080

I love falcon north west
What was custom about it? You must have gotten a real beefy PSU to run 4080+4090 in the same system.
 
yeah im pretty sure if you just call or email them, they will build you whatever you want.
 
Back
Top